Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had the revised Treo Pro now for about 18 hours and am enjoying it. It is a definite improvement over the 800w and heads above the 700wx. Here are some of my initial impressions so far. Now, I'm not a super-techno geek who is looking under the hood trying to tweak and peak the OS, or anything like that. I use my phone in my work and personal life, and I expect it to perform reliably each and everytime I use it. So my impressions will be more from the user point of view rather than a technical one.

1. The case reminds me of the iPhone 3g. It is the same slick plastic back that is very slippery. I was hoping for a case similiar to the 800w or 755p, but I am sure there is a reason for this.

2. It is a fingerpring sponge. I have clean hands when I use it, but I leave marks everywhere I touch it. The screen is also a magnet for those types of marks.

3. I miss the buttons that are just below the screen for accessing contacts and internet. The 800w and 755p had them, as well as being able to activate them on the touch screen. Here you only have the touch screen option. Not that major of a deal, since my hand is big enough to reach them, and with the flush screen, easily activate them.

4. The stylus. What a joke, it is so small it can get easily misplaced. It is almost useless for me.

5. The Palm navigation button is much nicer than the one on the Centro/800w. I like the one on the 755p but only because it is bigger, but this one is very functional.

6. The keyboard is smaller than the 755p/800w but bigger than the Centro. It is easy to use them with one hand. They aren't as slick as the original Centro but not as rubbery as the 2nd generation ones either. They aren't a hard plastic like the 755p/800w either.

7. Some of the included programs are The Wall Street Journal (haven't tried it yet, don't have any stocks), Titan, Sprite Backup, Sprint Music/TV, Pocket Express, WorldMate (?), Adobe Reader LE, and for games, Astarware Sodku, Bejeweled 2, Bubble Breaker and Solitaire.

8. Program memory vaires depending on the apps running. I've had as high as 44.15 and as low as 31.13. IEM6 has started everytime for me, no lockups. Setting up my POP3 Comcast email was a snap. The phone does support true MMS services, I've sent a couple of pictures and they work the way MMS should, both on the sending and receiving end.

9. Voice quality is excellent, the phone menu structure is different and will take some getting used to. I think it disables the touch screen during calls, but that may be a setting I haven't found yet.

10. WiFi works with no problems, Bluetooth as well. This afternoon I'll try mating it with my Kenwood Handsfree Bluetooth, hopefully that'll work as seamlessly.

All told, I'm happy with the phone, and feel it was worth the price I paid. It has addressed the three big issues I had with other Sprint PDA phones. Now I just a matter of getting used to it.

Last edited by ivhs72; 03/11/2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I think it disables the touch screen during calls, but that may be a setting I haven't found yet.
    It locks the screen when you get a call, but you can use the palm button to navigate over to unlock it. I have the unlocked version but it should be the same.
    If you get a chance, would be nice to verify that it has standalone GPS. The January version did so I would expect this one does, but I haven't read anywhere yet where it's been 100% confirmed. Thanks.
    My GSM Treo Pro does have stand alone GPS I can confirm that hands down ok guys. Now I dont know about the CDMA Sprint version.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    If you get a chance, would be nice to verify that it has standalone GPS. The January version did so I would expect this one does, but I haven't read anywhere yet where it's been 100% confirmed. Thanks.
    It does have internal GPS and has a program called Sprint navigation on it. There is also a program for an external GPS. I'm going to play with it tonight and will let you know. I downloaded it last night, but couldn't get enough of a signal in my apartment to see how it worked. I'm going to be interested to see how it compares to my iPhone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    It does have internal GPS and has a program called Sprint navigation on it. There is also a program for an external GPS. I'm going to play with it tonight and will let you know. I downloaded it last night, but couldn't get enough of a signal in my apartment to see how it worked. I'm going to be interested to see how it compares to my iPhone.

Inquiring minds want to know
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know
    It does have an internal GPS and it seems to work. It finds my location with much greater accuracy than the Centro/My Location w/Google Maps. It doesn't show a satellite photos such as Google Maps, but does give 2D/3D views, as well as traffic. I'm not wanting to try too much with it since I don't have the Sprint Nav package on my plan and don't want to rack up any charges until I see that they don't bill me. There are 4 option under the Program: Drive To, Search, Maps & Traffic, and Tools & Extras. Under the Maps & Traffic, it gives you: Current Location, My Favorites, Recent, Business, Address, Intersection, and Location. It does have voice prompting, but haven't played with that too much yet. It has far more options than the iPhone offers, but it would be nice to have the option of toggling between maps and satellite views.

Last edited by ivhs72; 03/11/2009 at 10:08 PM.

8.    #8  
    I'm having some issues making it work with my car's Hands Free Bluetooth. I think most of the issues are with the Stereo and not the phone. I can't dial outgoing calls from the screen (I had a Kenwood DDX 512), but it says that in the compatability list on Kenwood's site. But I am able to call from the phone and it works. But when I hang up, I have to cycle power to make another call. I also have to have the BT in the discovery mode to have it work with stereo (with the 755p, I could hide it once they were paired and it would still work).

I have never used Sprint Nav since I have a 700P. If you have a data plan, isn't the Sprint Nav included?
  10.    #10  
    The Wall Street Journal icon is simply a link to Audible.com where they offer it to you for free for 3 months, and then give you a bunch of links for advertising. I would lable this as unnecessary bloatware, and will remove it as soon as I can.

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    I have never used Sprint Nav since I have a 700P. If you have a data plan, isn't the Sprint Nav included?
    It used to be an add-on option, cost either $10 or $15/month. It may be totally free now since Sprint is going to the all for one price plan structures. I'm going to monitor my data usage on their website and see if I get any Premium charges. I have an unlimited data plan on my SERO but who knows if they won't look to soak me for a few extra bucks. I just looked at my plan, it shows the new phone on it. But nowhere does it give me the option of adding the nav. package. Also my data usage still shows unlimited.

Last edited by ivhs72; 03/11/2009 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
    No. It has to be an add on or it is on a Simply Everthing data plan. I do like as it comes in handy, especially when the gas prices were $4 a gallon or finding a nearby store.
    It does have an internal GPS and it seems to work. It finds my location with much greater accuracy than the Centro/My Location w/Google Maps. It doesn't show a satellite photos such as Google Maps, but does give 2D/3D views, as well as traffic. I'm not wanting to try too much with it since I don't have the Sprint Nav package on my plan and don't want to rack up any charges until I see that they don't bill me. There are 4 option under the Program: Drive To, Search, Maps & Traffic, and Tools & Extras. Under the Maps & Traffic, it gives you: Current Location, My Favorites, Recent, Business, Address, Intersection, and Location. It does have voice prompting, but haven't played with that too much yet. It has far more options than the iPhone offers, but it would be nice to have the option of toggling between maps and satellite views.

I heard they gave a 5 day trial with the Treo? I have GPS on my plan but maybe you can look into that option. It can be a time saver! Also, no walking option available?
  14.    #14  
    I've been playing with the phone tonight, not on a charger just the phone. It seems to be getting warm. Not blazing hot, but definitely not cool. Anyone else have this experience?

15.    #15  
    I heard they gave a 5 day trial with the Treo? I have GPS on my plan but maybe you can look into that option. It can be a time saver! Also, no walking option available?
    I didn't see one specifically for walking, I'm still playing with it.

The memory though bites.
  17.    #17  
    I can verify that it does support at least 16gb microSDHC cards. Just put one in, busy filling it up now.

18.    #18  

I looked at the available plan add-ons under my account and that wasn't one of them.

2. It is a fingerpring sponge. I have clean hands when I use it, but I leave marks everywhere I touch it. The screen is also a magnet for those types of marks.
    7. Some of the included programs are The Wall Street Journal (haven't tried it yet, don't have any stocks), Titan, Sprite Backup, Sprint Music/TV, Pocket Express, WorldMate (?), Adobe Reader LE, and for games, Astarware Sodku, Bejeweled 2, Bubble Breaker and Solitaire.
    Get yourself BodyGuardz. It will not only help make it easier to remove fingerprints, it does not pick up as many fingerprints and also protects your device from getting scratched up. You'll have to get the existing fingerprints off your device before applying BodyGuardz, unless you want to see them forever .

I highly recommend you not use Titan. The "Titan" icon on your device links to a web site where you can download and install it. We who have used it know it's probably better that you don't. It's a resource hog and other Java runtimes like Jbed run better. Titan is a Java runtime created by Sprint. Carriers should not go trying to make Java runtimes, because so far Sprint has shown they don't do it well . And a carrier specific Java runtime totally defies the whole lockdown mess that Java was created to eliminate.

Regarding the GPS on your device. You've likely only been using the "assisted" GPS so far. To test that your device has true stand alone GPS, follow these instructions. You'll need to find out the correct port for GPS on the Treo Pro, I'm not certain it's the same as the Touch Pro port number and you'll need to be outside in a clear open area before trying to actually start the GPS via the program I suggested using in that link. (NoniGPSPlot - v2.74)
    Last edited by darnell; 03/12/2009 at 10:19 AM.
    I've been playing with the phone tonight, not on a charger just the phone. It seems to be getting warm. Not blazing hot, but definitely not cool. Anyone else have this experience?

Warm is OK, hot is bad. So long as it does don't get "hot" don't let it trouble you any.

These newer devices with faster processing power tend to get warm once they are working hard. But if it gets really HOT you won't be able to charge your device (or obviously hold it) and that's not good. There was a batch of devices across all models for which HTC was the ODM that used to get "hot", but it seems that issue was resolved.

HTC is the ODM for the Treo Pro and they made my Touch Pro which can get warm, but never has been "hot".
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast