Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    When you use stand alone GPS, I assume there is no voice turn by turn directions; the only guide is a dot on the map, right? If this is the case driving with it could prove troublesome without a passenger in the car helping you out. Can anyone confirm this? Are the Streets displayed on the map too? Also, if you drive out of network coverage, can you still get voice directions? That is, no soft resetting the phone or turning off the radio but driving from IN COVERAGE to NO NETWORK COVERAGE. This may be my newbee question
    Sprint Navigation does not work outside of Sprint data coverage. You need a program like Garmin XT if you want navigation using the stand alone GPS and directions with maps off Sprint's network.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Sprint Navigation does not work outside of Sprint data coverage. You need a program like Garmin XT if you want navigation using the stand alone GPS and directions with maps off Sprint's network.
    ok Thanks Darnell
    I have been an avid Sprint Treo user since the 300. I value what the treo is all about- ease of use, efficiency, one handedness, front facing keyboard, etc.

Purchase:

It took 7 calls to 7 different stores before I found someone who would sell it.

Form/ Finish:

It is thinner and wider than expected. My initital thought was Q9c, then I thought to myself not that wide. Still- it is wider than the 800. The unit like almost all the treo's feels solid with just a touch of case flex. My windows button was stiffer than the okay button initially- that seems to have broken in over the last few hours. Battery is WAAAAY bigger than the 800s. The lack of physical soft keys bothers me. It hasnt been a huge deal but i have not been able to put IE in full screen mode.

Use:

Unit is quite snappy but doesn't have the same feel of blazing instantaneous speed that the 800 does. Still I am not complaining- it is quick just like to Diamond/Pros.

Call Quality:

Much better than the 800. Speakerphone sounds better too.

Reception:

Not as good as 800. The 800 in my office locks on and is stable showing one bar. I stream Sirius for hours while mail gets pushed in with no buffering or hickups. The Pro in my office isnt quite as confident. I had some buffering and lost service for a second. I think it will get me by, the differences are minimal but they are there. (Both phones on Sprint service only btw)

Conclusion:

This is much more polished and nice than the 800w- but may not neccessarily be better. The real judge for me will be how the battery holds up- if it is way better than this is an easy decision. If not- it would really be a matter of preference versus a clear superior.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Reception:

Not as good as 800. The 800 in my office locks on and is stable showing one bar. I stream Sirius for hours while mail gets pushed in with no buffering or hickups. The Pro in my office isnt quite as confident. I had some buffering and lost service for a second. I think it will get me by, the differences are minimal but they are there. (Both phones on Sprint service only btw)

Conclusion:

This is much more polished and nice than the 800w- but may not neccessarily be better. The real judge for me will be how the battery holds up- if it is way better than this is an easy decision. If not- it would really be a matter of preference versus a clear superior.
    Very good review. I picked up the Pro on Thursday, and my experiences have been about the same as you. The reception is what bothers me and seems to be odd. It appears the radio in the Pro isn't as good as it was in the 800w.

I have an Airave. My 800w had full bars all time at home. My Pro still only has one or two bars, but it is using the Airave because I hear the beeps when make and getting calls.
    You guys should call Sprint and see what they have to say about the radio reception concerns.

Palm may be able to come up with a radio firmware update to help.
    You guys should call Sprint and see what they have to say about the radio reception concerns.

Palm may be able to come up with a radio firmware update to help.
    I find the RF reception on the GSM Treo Pro to be very good. Not as great as the Moto Q9h (Motorolas are know for phenomenal reception) but better than any other phone I've had.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I play with the TP at the Sprint store today.

The top button are somewhat stiff. I had to press firm to get it going.

The keyboard looks like something cheaply made. I think Palm is cutting corner here. It feel/look like something laminated on some button jello blob. The 800w and BB got nice real push button keyboard!

Fingerprints, well .. it is sad.

Anyhow, I am going to get one at the Sprint store tomorrow. The salesperson got my name on the appoint. list and I see him at 1 PM.

If Palm remake the 800w to be a litte thinner and with a 3.5 jack. I will rather get it than this Pro.
    Last edited by chong67; 03/14/2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    The top button are somewhat stiff. I had to press firm to get it going.
    Were you using a store display version? Perhaps one out of the box would perform better in that regard? (No telling what someone might have done with the one on display.)

How similar do you feel the buttons are to the Centro?
    Impressed with the battery today. Far superior to the 800.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Darnell,

The guy said it is brand new out of the box. It has a sticker from top to bottom that not been pealed.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    So now the Sprint stores are selling early too!
    Any corp store were allowed to start selling them as early as Thursday. Some stores might not understand what a "soft launch" is.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by INTERNATIONAL View Post
    When you use stand alone GPS, I assume there is no voice turn by turn directions; the only guide is a dot on the map, right? If this is the case driving with it could prove troublesome without a passenger in the car helping you out. Can anyone confirm this? Are the Streets displayed on the map too? Also, if you drive out of network coverage, can you still get voice directions? That is, no soft resetting the phone or turning off the radio but driving from IN COVERAGE to NO NETWORK COVERAGE. This may be my newbee question
    I haven't had too much of a chance to use it yet, but it does have voice turn-by-turn directions. Standalone or not, I don't know. The streets are displayed in 2D and 3D. This is a pretty powerful nav package, one that will take me sometime to fully learn.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I haven't had too much of a chance to use it yet, but it does have voice turn-by-turn directions. Standalone or not, I don't know. The streets are displayed in 2D and 3D. This is a pretty powerful nav package, one that will take me sometime to fully learn.

Have you tried the GPS with Google yet, I would like to know if other programs like Google can use it, or if it is tied to Telenav.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
    Have you tried the GPS with Google yet, I would like to know if other programs like Google can use it, or if it is tied to Telenav.
    Thanks
    It's already confirmed, the Sprint Treo Pro GPS works with 3rd party applications and as a stand alone GPS device.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I noticed a few "irregularities" on the one I purchased today.

The scroll bars in PIE6 cause the refresh rate of the screen to become noticeable, and the backlight behind the O and P keys is 2 times brighter then the rest of the phone.

Stuff like this drives me nuts, but figured I'd see if it's common, I figure this is about as good as it's going to get when it comes to HTC made hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by rudefyet View Post
    I noticed a few "irregularities" on the one I purchased today.

The scroll bars in PIE6 cause the refresh rate of the screen to become noticeable, and the backlight behind the O and P keys is 2 times brighter then the rest of the phone.

Stuff like this drives me nuts, but figured I'd see if it's common, I figure this is about as good as it's going to get when it comes to HTC made hardware.
    Noticed the refresh rate on PIE. Doesnt really bother me.

My O and P do not stand out in the dark.

However- I reported that my windows button (launch start menu) was stiffer than "ok". It is getting better but is still a "little" stiff.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    The flickering scroll bars I can live with, but even though it's not THAT bad the backlight on the keys is going to be hard to get used to, one of those things my eyes are instantly drawn to whenever I turn on the phone.

I hate to exchange it though, I've had such bad luck lately with computer/phone build quality I'm afraid the new one will be even worse.
    Last edited by rudefyet; 03/15/2009 at 05:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    My Pro could not go and get my corp email auto. I had to put in all the settings myself. It use Exchange Server 2007.

Anyone else have this problem?

The inbox/outbox, etc for email and SMS are all one one screen now.

Still no button to actually turn off the phone. I think this is Palm style.

For 800w, I hold the hang up button and it would off the signal. Now they map it to the top.
    Last edited by chong67; 03/15/2009 at 06:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Still no button to actually turn off the phone. I think this is Palm style.
    Yea and why won't Palm provide a means to turn the device totally off? Many of Palm's competitors such as RIM, who we know sells plenty of their product, provide a means to totally shut down their devices when desired.

Not sure why Palm never has this for their devices, but maybe they'll offer it with the Pre?
    Since its really a HTC device you would think it would have the power button on top you can hold down to power off. All the HTC devices can power off plus you can pull the stylus and press the reset button.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast