Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    OK, so your device is using the same port number as the Touch Pro, you can use the instructions I gave in that other thread to the letter when testing. Just make sure you're outside in a clear and open area when trying to start the GPS.

You've been using Sprint Navigation and other wireless data based navigation programs. They need the data connection to work.

The instructions I gave you using NoniGPSPlot - v2.74, if followed exactly, you will be able to tell if the GPS can work all by its self. If during those tests your device tries to make a data (or phone) connection, then it would mean your device needs a Sprint signal in order to work.

The GPS chip we hope can do both stand alone (by its self) and assisted (with Sprint connection) GPS.

If you turn your Sprint Navigation on right now indoors away from windows, you probably can make a little map of your current location (or plot a course to some other location) if you have a Sprint phone signal where you're at right now. That's assisted GPS. It works indoors and that's one of its benefits. We're just trying to see what happens when the benefit of a Sprint signal is not around and you're outdoors trying to use the GPS.
    You could also use something like GPS Test 1.04 to make sure you can get a GPS lock with no cell coverage. It will give you coordinates and positioning data (no maps). I just fired it up on my GSM Treo Pro with data disabled and got a cold lock within 20 seconds.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    to echo dwboston, another much simpler GPS test is to download the freeware plugin GPSToggle.

Then turn off radio, soft reset and click the plugin. It'll lock onto sats & show their strength on the today screen.

No configuration needed.
    Why couldn't he just turn off the phone and fire up GoogleMaps or something to see if he gets a lock?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    We're just trying to see what happens when the benefit of a Sprint signal is not around and you're outdoors trying to use the GPS.
    AMEN! This is a deal breaker for me and I need to have confirmation if this stand alone GPS actually performs as expected/anticipated
    GPS Toggle

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Why couldn't he just turn off the phone and fire up GoogleMaps or something to see if he gets a lock?
    Just turning the phone off may leave the GPS radio still active. Meaning, a test without turning off the phone and then doing a soft reset would not definitively prove whether the GPS radio can actually start up on its own. Also known as a cold start. Just turning off the phone, the GPS may still be in a "warm" state. Turning off the phone and then doing a soft reset shuts everything down, so once things boot up, all the radios are totally off.

To test, one could turn off the phone, soft reset, start WiFi and then open GoogleMaps and see if their location is accurately identified.

Having everything off is just my personal preference when testing . WiFi does not mess up the test at all though if someone would rather do it using WiFi and GoogleMaps. I just like testing the GPS "raw".
    Regarding the GPS on your device. You've likely only been using the "assisted" GPS so far. To test that your device has true stand alone GPS, follow these instructions. You'll need to find out the correct port for GPS on the Treo Pro, I'm not certain it's the same as the Touch Pro port number and you'll need to be outside in a clear open area before trying to actually start the GPS via the program I suggested using in that link. (NoniGPSPlot - v2.74)

I ran through the ppcgeeks procedure above and it works fine on the STP!
    Quote Originally Posted by fgkay View Post
    I ran through the ppcgeeks procedure above and it works fine on the STP!
    Thank you Fgkay!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The memory though bites.
    Agreed
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Agreed
    Does it actually affect the operation of the phone? Who cares if the phone is fast and smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by bopgun View Post
    Does it actually affect the operation of the phone? Who cares if the phone is fast and smooth.
    agreed
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bopgun View Post
    I have had ZERO issues with the memory since I received it yesterday. The unboxing video also showed several apps running without any degradation of performance.
    It very well may be important, depending on what those applications are. Also, the above mentioned test for GPS stand-alone does work. For lack of anything better to do last night, I did it on my Sprint Touch pro and it did find the satellites.
  13.    #53  
    I had a chance to use it last night on my way home. I opened the Sprint navigation and loaded it. Then I turned the phone off. The GPS continued to give accurate location information of where I was, it even rotated the display when I changed directions. Comparing this to the Centro/Google Maps which I have used, this is much more accurate. With the Centro, I never got accuracy to be any less than 200 feet. With this, it had me exactly where I was, given the scale of the display (the smallest scale is 200 feet on the display). This is even better than what I get with my iPhone.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I had a chance to use it last night on my way home. I opened the Sprint navigation and loaded it. Then I turned the phone off. The GPS continued to give accurate location information of where I was, it even rotated the display when I changed directions. Comparing this to the Centro/Google Maps which I have used, this is much more accurate. With the Centro, I never got accuracy to be any less than 200 feet. With this, it had me exactly where I was, given the scale of the display (the smallest scale is 200 feet on the display). This is even better than what I get with my iPhone.

But if you didn't soft reset after turning the phone off you were using an already initiated (already started) GPS radio. That proves the GPS keeps working after being started, but only a test after turning the phone off and soft resetting proves the GPS can actually start apart from a phone signal.

But you guys have stand alone and assisted GPS functionality, so it's all good .
  15.    #55  
    But if you didn't soft reset after turning the phone off you were using an already initiated (already started) GPS radio. That proves the GPS keeps working after being started, but only a test after turning the phone off and soft resetting proves the GPS can actually start apart from a phone signal.

But you guys have stand alone and assisted GPS functionality, so it's all good .
    I feel really dumb about asking, but how do you do a soft reset? I haven't had a chance to read the manual that wasn't included.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I feel really dumb about asking, but how do you do a soft reset? I haven't had a chance to read the manual that wasn't included.

There's a reset button under the battery cover, near where the stylus is. Of course, if you took off the cover, you might as well just yank the battery

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Here's an interesting note from the GSM Treo Pro review.

Holding down the power button conveniently turns on Airplane mode, turning off all the radios on the Treo. One odd note: Palm's guide says that holding down the End key should power off the phone completely, but on my Treo it simply locks the screen.
    Can someone with a Sprint Treo Pro try holding down the power button for about 10 seconds and see if something comes on screen asking if you want to shut everything down and turn off the phone completely?

The Sprint HTC Touch Pro's power button does sort of a dual function type of thing. If you press it once quickly, it will turn off the screen. But if you hold it for an extended period of time, it will display a message asking if you want to shut down the device completely.

Please see if the Sprint Treo Pro's power button functions like this. It would be great if you had a way to shut the thing down totally when needed.
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Here's an interesting note from the GSM Treo Pro review.

Can someone with a Sprint Treo Pro try holding down the power button for about 10 seconds and see if something comes on screen asking if you want to shut everything down and turn off the phone completely?

The Sprint HTC Touch Pro's power button does sort of a dual function type of thing. If you press it once quickly, it will turn off the screen. But if you hold it for an extended period of time, it will display a message asking if you want to shut down the device completely.

Please see if the Sprint Treo Pro's power button functions like this. It would be great if you had a way to shut the thing down totally when needed.
    Holding down the Sprint version's end key just locks the screen and turns on the screen saver.
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Holding down the Sprint version's end key just locks the screen and turns on the screen saver.

Holding down the End key for a second locks the screen, holding it down longer turns on the screen saver if you have it enabled. If you don't have the screen saver enabled, the screen just stares back at you.

When you use stand alone GPS, I assume there is no voice turn by turn directions; the only guide is a dot on the map, right? If this is the case driving with it could prove troublesome without a passenger in the car helping you out. Can anyone confirm this? Are the Streets displayed on the map too? Also, if you drive out of network coverage, can you still get voice directions? That is, no soft resetting the phone or turning off the radio but driving from IN COVERAGE to NO NETWORK COVERAGE. This may be my newbee question
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast