Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    uh oh

i installed it and connected right away...

it connected though...

WIll this be a problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrain View Post
    zbop please make cab delete forcecellcoonection entry so that u dont need to reconnect every time
    Can you elaborate?

If I delete that value, I still am required to connect, or am I missing something?

Also, deleting that registry entry during the install won't keep; it ends up being recreated by either the ICS app or one of the dlls. I tried assigning it a different value, an emptry string, and deleting, and it just keeps coming back.
    Other than cost, is there any advantage to the Phone As Modem option through Bluetooth versus the WiFiRouter option? I wasn't sure if one was better on the battery or more reliable...
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasazcat View Post
    Other than cost, is there any advantage to the Phone As Modem option through Bluetooth versus the WiFiRouter option? I wasn't sure if one was better on the battery or more reliable...
    Wifi router I think is just "smarter". It monitors your battery, temperature, etc. and is a lot more configurable. You can connect via BT, Wifi, USB, etc.
    • Wifi is fast and convenient (no wires) but kills battery
    • USB charges your battery (but drains the laptop's)
    • BT uses less battery but is slower

Plus it is easy to setup with no hacking, configuring, etc. Just my 2 cents.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    @zbopThe forcecellconnection entry on my phone is set to Phone as Modem so everytime I hit connect in ICS it restarts connection and connect to Phone as Modem. if u could change the entry to power vision ICS would just activate without reconnect also if the connection was created by ICS like in my case you need to reconnect to Power Vision when Program exits.

So if you can delete or change entry it would be great.

BTW how did you get the extension entry to stay blank. I created a .cab that delete both extension and forcecellconnecton but it kept respawning. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrain View Post
    @zbopThe forcecellconnection entry on my phone is set to Phone as Modem so everytime I hit connect in ICS it restarts connection and connect to Phone as Modem. if u could change the entry to power vision ICS would just activate without reconnect also if the connection was created by ICS like in my case you need to reconnect to Power Vision when Program exits.

So if you can delete or change entry it would be great.

BTW how did you get the extension entry to stay blank. I created a .cab that delete both extension and forcecellconnecton but it kept respawning. Thanks
    It isn't possible to change the ForceCellConnection entry and have the change persist, sorry.

To change the extension entry, I had to set it to an empty string.

As I mentioned before, this is the behavior on a Sprint Treo Pro, not sure if you have a different phone or not.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Just to confirm...
    The posted cab file will work the same way as the 800w registry hack, to make it that Sprint can not track phone tethering (i.e. when it is connected to the computer)?
    Also, in theory, how much data can I safely use without Sprint getting ticked? I am at around 10 GB so far...
    Is that too much?
    I'll just tell them I was downloading files on the phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    Just to confirm...
    The posted cab file will work the same way as the 800w registry hack, to make it that Sprint can not track phone tethering (i.e. when it is connected to the computer)?
    Also, in theory, how much data can I safely use without Sprint getting ticked? I am at around 10 GB so far...
    Is that too much?
    I'll just tell them I was downloading files on the phone...
    In theory, but as with any tethering hacks or software you are taking your chances if you aren't paying for PAM.

Uhh, yeah I think 10GB might be too much (if that's in a single month).

I think Sprint's "unlimited data" is capped to 5GB a month, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    10Gb's Yea, that's huge!
    Just call me Berd.
    is ir still supposed to say phone as modem when connecting wth this cab?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Is it possible to use ICS with a mac? either usb/bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by bopgun View Post
    Is it possible to use ICS with a mac? either usb/bluetooth?
    With my PC (XP) I can do both bt and usb.

With my Mac (Leopard) I can only do bt.
    Just call me Berd.
    OK so ICSenable lets you use PAM and makes it so its not tracable?

Also do I just setup the tether normally as an IC or should I use something like wmwifirouter?

Thanks for the caby btw!
    Devices: Blackberry 7130, 8130, 8330, HTC Touch Pro, Treo 600, 700wx, Pro, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by CTL Advance View Post
    OK so ICSenable lets you use PAM and makes it so its not tracable?

Also do I just setup the tether normally as an IC or should I use something like wmwifirouter?

Thanks for the caby btw!
    Well, there are no fewer than a hundred different threads out there discussing that topic with a lot of conflicting information, so it depends on who you believe. Based upon what I've read here, I believe you are ok.

To summarize, WM already provides internet connection sharing as a default, and Sprint has modified ICS on the Treo Pro to use an additional DLL listed below:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\InternetSharing\Extension = "isext.dll"

The theory is that this changes the behavior such that when a data connection is authenticated, it uses username@pam.sprintpcs.com rather than your standard NAI username/domain. This is what identifies you as tethering, and this is why you'll fail to connect if you try to use ICS if you don't have PAM on your Sprint account. The CAB file I posted modifies the registry entry so that isext.dll is not loaded and you get the default WM behavior.

Based on the information I read in the thread I linked, I don't believe it matters what profile you are connecting to, i.e. "Phone as Modem" or "Power Vision"

If anyone still has concerns about this, I would encourage you to do your own research and draw your own conclusion, pay for PDANet or WMWifiRouter, or just add PAM to your account.
    I spoke with Sprint today and tried to add "Phone as Modem" to my plan.

Sprint informed me that my Everything Data plan was ineligible to have PAM added as an optional service. I offered to change cell plans, and according to Sprint the PAM option has been discontinued for all plans effective immediately. It will be honored for existing customers but can no longer be added to existing or new service.

According to the rep I spoke with the only options for laptop data service will be a cell modem USB card and $60/month data service.

Very disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by amigoamigo View Post
    I spoke with Sprint today and tried to add "Phone as Modem" to my plan.

Sprint informed me that my Everything Data plan was ineligible to have PAM added as an optional service. I offered to change cell plans, and according to Sprint the PAM option has been discontinued for all plans effective immediately. It will be honored for existing customers but can no longer be added to existing or new service.

According to the rep I spoke with the only options for laptop data service will be a cell modem USB card and $60/month data service.

Very disappointing.
    Really?

Hmmm, that sucks for the Pre (at least out-of-the-box functionality) and that might explain why they supposedly removed the "Phone as modem" details from the Pre info here.

Although... if they have a full implementation of Linux and have shell access, it'll be very easy NAT their wifi connection as an inside interface and have the equivalent of WMWifirouter.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallasazcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Wifi router I think is just "smarter". It monitors your battery, temperature, etc. and is a lot more configurable. You can connect via BT, Wifi, USB, etc.
    • Wifi is fast and convenient (no wires) but kills battery
    • USB charges your battery (but drains the laptop's)
    • BT uses less battery but is slower

Plus it is easy to setup with no hacking, configuring, etc. Just my 2 cents.
    Couple of additional differences:

1) WIFI offers advantage of being able to connect multiple devices simultaneously.

2) In terms of licensing I believe these products work differently. You essentially licensing pdanet to the laptop and (I believe) wmwifirouter to the phone. On a practical level this means if you have one family laptop and two three or four phones (or even a pal with a wm phone) pdanbet functions better in that you can install and use with to any WM phone from that laptop. Wifrouter would be better if you have one phone and multiple device that would use the connection (simultaneous or not)
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Couple of additional differences:

1) WIFI offers advantage of being able to connect multiple devices simultaneously.

2) In terms of licensing I believe these products work differently. You essentially licensing pdanet to the laptop and (I believe) wmwifirouter to the phone. On a practical level this means if you have one family laptop and two three or four phones (or even a pal with a wm phone) pdanbet functions better in that you can install and use with to any WM phone from that laptop. Wifrouter would be better if you have one phone and multiple device that would use the connection (simultaneous or not)
    Aero, good point about wifirouter, but I don't believe that's exactly correct with PDANet. You can install the desktop software on any number of PCs, but you can only tether one at a time. They state this in their FAQ.

It's effectively a single-use license, so even if you install it on multiple phones, I believe the license transfers to the phone with the active PDAnet connection. I seem to remember this causing issues in the past when I was migrating to a new phone, but still using both.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Aero, good point about wifirouter, but I don't believe that's exactly correct with PDANet. You can install the desktop software on any number of PCs, but you can only tether one at a time. They state this in their FAQ.

It's effectively a single-use license, so even if you install it on multiple phones, I believe the license transfers to the phone with the active PDAnet connection. I seem to remember this causing issues in the past when I was migrating to a new phone, but still using both.
    To be precise I think it is legally a single use license but it effectively multi use. You simply use reinstall by going to Start->Programs->PdaNet for windows mobile on the PC and then hit "reinstall pda net to device" it works fine across multiple phones and doesn't care if it was previously installed or not.

I want to be careful here about seeming to advocate anything untoward. I don't think it is, I will note I asked Junerfabrics about this and they wrote back was that technically I have a single phone license but it is ok. I was asking becasue I was determining which to buy in my family circumstance, (multiple phones single laptop)and they offered the information on how to do with with a single license.

In terms of migrating to various phones, I have had no problems at all with they method they suggested. It is certainly not a violation to move to different phones how you retire the phones
    I think newer versions of the STP have somehow disabled this hack, because I cannot get it to work for the life of me even though I have active sync working just fine. Is there a further manual hack I need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    The following CAB file enables Internet Connection Sharing on your Sprint Treo Pro. The usual disclaimers apply...
    (I take no responsibility for how you use this hack or any charges that might occur on your phone, yadda yadda yadda )

To install:
    1) Install ICSenable.CAB
    2) Soft-reset
    3) Re-install ICSenable.CAB a second time

Then go to Start -> Programs -> Internet Sharing and enjoy.

I've tested both USB and Bluetooth and it seems to work.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast