Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Yes, that's right. If you have the right cables, you can connect your USB flash drive or other USB device that has a driver for Windows CE installed. You need a micro-USB to mini-USB adapter as well as a micro-USB Host (OTG) adapter. You can search for these on Ebay or Google them. They are out there. I can't post links, here If anyone knows of a micro-USB Host adapter, please post it, here! I've not found one.

You are limited to USB full speed (12 Mb/s raw bandwidth) and 100 mA power supply (so some USB flash drives might not work as they use more than that, but modern ones are fine). You can even plug in an ultrasound probe (Google "cell phone ultrasound") if you're so inclined (I am, you see).

This is not advertised as supported so I will take no responsibility for anything bad that happens, of course, but it works for me (the ultrasound probe and the flash drive) so I'm reporting the news. You can get a mouse driver for a few dollars, and I bet a keyboard simply works, too (although I've not tried it).

Enjoy.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Interesting idea. I suppose you could take a spare data cable (microUSB end) and splice it into the host cable for a single-cable solution. The pinouts could be derived from an adapter.

MicroUSB cables (to anything other than male type A) are rare yet; that may change as more manufacturers build them into new devices. For now we have to settle for wire cutters and a soldering iron.

edit: there is one on Ebay for the N810 that says microUSB...claims to fit only N810, but...who knows.
    Last edited by haus; 03/11/2009 at 10:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    edit: there is one on Ebay for the N810 that says microUSB...claims to fit only N810, but...who knows.
    micro-usb is micro-usb... it should work. I'll be ordering some.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Yeah, I ordered one too. I figured even in this economy, $8...what price fun.
    Seriously cool! I know they want this for the Pre since there is no external storage, but good to know it works on the 800w.

Hopefully they'll start releasing OTG-friendly flash drives so the cables aren't needed.
    This probably confirms my theory that the headset is actually a USB audio device. I wonder if attaching a USB audio adapter using that cable would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    This probably confirms my theory that the headset is actually a USB audio device. I wonder if attaching a USB audio adapter using that cable would work.
    That'd be awesome...use my gaming headset on my 800w Watch out ladies...

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That'd be awesome...use my gaming headset on my 800w Watch out ladies...
    OMG it works...got my cable today, plugged in a USB headset, and IT PLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow this is cool.

Oh, it works with USB thumb drives also. they are seen as "hard drive" in resco.

Here's a pic:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haus; 03/18/2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    And you doubted me?

But... the Treo Pro does not have a USB host port. Thanks for nothin' Palm... I'll keep my 800w...
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    LOL!

I didn't doubt you about the usb keys. I was pretty unsure about the USB headset.

I wonder if this works on the Touch Pro.

Edit: the pic was really for Mal's benefit re: the gaming headset comment.
    OMG it works...got my cable today, plugged in a USB headset, and IT PLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow this is cool.

Oh, it works with USB thumb drives also. they are seen as "hard drive" in resco.

Here's a pic:

omg...that is AWESOME.

You're not pulling my leg? That really works? Cause I'm gonna go buy one...

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    LOL!

I wonder if this works on the Touch Pro.
    Nope... The Touch Pro also does not have USB host (there are lots of reports about how "I made it work" but they are all liars... they post once, and disappear... I have a Touch Pro and have tried many things as suggested and none work. When I look at the drivers and such, it's missing things it needs, and the hardware doesn't have the support necessary from what I can tell from service manuals.)
    k, ordered mine.

dang, $8 + free shipping? Awesome. You go China.

Here are the ebay links for anyone who wants them, there's plenty to go around.

n810 otg, Computers Networking, Cell Phones PDAs items on eBay.com

14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    k, ordered mine.

dang, $8 + free shipping? Awesome. You go China.

Here are the ebay links for anyone who wants them, there's plenty to go around.

n810 otg, Computers Networking, Cell Phones PDAs items on eBay.com
    I wonder what will happen if an external hard drive is connected to it.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I wonder what will happen if an external hard drive is connected to it.
    If it doesn't have an external power supply, it won't do much. The phone will only supply 100 mA. Most hard disks need more than that.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Hmmm...SSD?

Mal, I'm not kidding, that no-name, made in China, acquired at some Microsoft tech summit USB headset actually works. Haven't tried the microphone yet, though. The earpiece works well, though I would imagine it won't do wonders for battery life.

Too bad the Touch Pro doesn't have that. It's pretty cool to be able to read/write a USB stick on your mobile phone.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    It's even cooler to run an ultrasound probe off your phone and have a complete ultrasound machine! That's what I'm doing
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    If it doesn't have an external power supply, it won't do much. The phone will only supply 100 mA. Most hard disks need more than that.
    did you try with the ones with external power?
    I have a feeling they might work too.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    They will work provided that you don't pull more than 100 mA from the phone. I use a hub with external power for such devices that don't have external power, themselves. Works just fine.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    They will work provided that you don't pull more than 100 mA from the phone. I use a hub with external power for such devices that don't have external power, themselves. Works just fine.
    cool, thanks
    I will have to try.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast