Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So is there any USB to standard headphone jack device floating around out there?
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
    any luck with regular headset conversion?
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    any luck with regular headset conversion?
    I have 2 different usb to 3.5mm adapters on the way and will post my findings as soon as they arrive.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Keep us updated. I may just find a reason to skip upgrading to Treo Pro
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have 2 different usb to 3.5mm adapters on the way and will post my findings as soon as they arrive.
    thanks Mal,
    I got it from Ebay link you have posted.

WOW , this things is COOOOOL.

I am having fun with it.
    I have to try with another external power harddrives.
    I hope it will read the file system.
    btw, did an article on it here:
    http://www.wmexperts.com/treo-800w-usb-host-port-works

It does work with the WD MyBook 1TB external HDD. Read just fine.

The microphone also works with USB skype/gaming headsets, which is pretty impressive.

Not sure about USB keyboards. Mouse doesn't seem to do anything, lol.

Still waiting on the usb to 3.5mm adapters. Hopefully soon.

I got my flash drive and usb keyboard to both work. I used the keyboard to type a document in word mobile.

One question, Mal. What did you use to get your western digital 1 TB hard drive to work. For some reason it does not come up on my phone. The flash drive comes up just fine as "Hard Disk" but my western digital 1 TB hard drive is not showing up. My drive looks almost identical to the one you show on wmexperts. Could it be how it is formatted? Mine is NTFS. Is yours the same or FAT32? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by bpdamas; 04/02/2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    What is unique about the 800w that makes this possible. I would like to connect a USB cellular modem to a Winodws CE, or Winodw Mobile devices that do not have internal modems.
    Quote Originally Posted by jryker View Post
    What is unique about the 800w that makes this possible. I would like to connect a USB cellular modem to a Winodws CE, or Winodw Mobile devices that do not have internal modems.
    Not really sure. May be drivers on board or something with the port itself has the wiring for hosting? All I know is not many WM devices have it enabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Could it be how it is formatted? Mine is NTFS. Is yours the same or FAT32? Thanks for your help.
    Pretty positive that is the issue as FAT32 is what WinCE likes.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Not really sure. May be drivers on board or something with the port itself has the wiring for hosting? All I know is not many WM devices have it enabled.

Pretty positive that is the issue as FAT32 is what WinCE likes.

Yes, FAT32 is what's needed (and most flash drives do this by default for just such reasons).

There are three things (at a high level) that need to be in place for USB host to work with a USB OTG device (such as the chips in most all smart phones, today):

1) There needs to be support on the board for both the sensing of a device and a power supply to power it. One or both are often missing.

2) There needs to be drivers installed for the USB devices to be attached. While Windows CE has many of these (for keyboards, mice, disks, etc.) they are often not installed in the images on cell phones, although they are easy to find and install if necessary.

3) The functionality must be enabled in the chipset. This is also not done in the software running on the phone. That is, the handset manufacturer never programs the registers necessary to turn on the feature(s). This is done in cahoots with the carriers who seem to think that allowing users to plug things into the phone is somehow going to break the carriers' networks.

(OK, that last line is opinion).
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Thanks MAL,bsnguy
    This is just great. What a phone.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Anybody try a barcode scanner?
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnguy View Post
    It's even cooler to run an ultrasound probe off your phone and have a complete ultrasound machine! That's what I'm doing
    What software is needed for ultrasound on the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbern8 View Post
    You should only need the software to run a barcode scanner...

You use the IR port as a barcode scanner.. There has been software to use that out there for a while...

Found one that was supposed to work with WM5.0 but never actually tried it.

The 700wx, and 800w both have that IR port.. Dunno if the Pro does...

Basically it was supposed to work for any WM phone that has a IR port.

Rodney
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbern8 View Post
    What software is needed for ultrasound on the phone?
    Mine. And you need to buy a probe, too...

My research web page... There are videos up there as well (though none using the Treo, yet).
    Is the data transfer painfully slow?

Ideally id like to dump my videos from my camera onto my cell so I can take more vid. Mostly 1gig AVI files.

Is that gonna take forever?
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    You should only need the software to run a barcode scanner...

You use the IR port as a barcode scanner.. There has been software to use that out there for a while...

Found one that was supposed to work with WM5.0 but never actually tried it.

The 700wx, and 800w both have that IR port.. Dunno if the Pro does...

Basically it was supposed to work for any WM phone that has a IR port.

Rodney
    The IR port as a barcode scanner? Um, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by jbern8
    I don't have any USB scanners to try. I did try to pair it with a Bluetooth Wasp but it wouldn't even pair with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicWill View Post
    Is the data transfer painfully slow?

Ideally id like to dump my videos from my camera onto my cell so I can take more vid. Mostly 1gig AVI files.

Is that gonna take forever?
    No, transfer is quite fast actually but 1gb is a lot so I'm not sure. Shouldn't be any slower than say running the 800w in USB host mode as a card-reader on your PC and transferring files.

Yep, it reads all my various sized SD cards and gives 3 additional standard USB connections. The speed is fast. Now I can transfer media on the run.
    FYI, I just bought one of those roll-up usb keyboards from Hong Kong here for $6.92 after shipping and taxes. For as cheap as it was it works rather well. For those that have trouble with using the keyboard on the 800w this could be a nice alternative. The only minor complaint that I have is that I have to hit the keys slightly harder than I am used to in order for it to type correctly.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast