Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I was in the store today comparing the Pro keyboard to the 800w keyboard side by side.

The screen and top buttons are the same height and width side by side.

The keyboard space by height is the same too.

Then I notice the 800w keyboard keys are flush all the way to the side and the Pro is not.

That is why the kb on the Pro is just smaller.

I just wish that Palm would had widen it to have the same kb button size as the 800w. Why did they make it smaller?

I actually had to type on fingernails and my thumb is wide.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    It's an interesting question and one we won't ever know the answer to.

I've heard everything from "Palm has to license the keyboard "smile" from RIM and didn't want to pay" to basically it was just a design choice.

Personally I think it's the latter: just a design choice, but I agree the KB is sub-par compared to every other Treo. Others will have to decided for themselves though as these things are very subjective.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Because if you make the Treo Pro too 'perfect' then nobody will buy the Treo Pro-x once it come out.

Then again if you don't make it 'perfect' enough then nobody will buy the Treo Pro either.
    Well the slimness of the Pro vs the 800w has to be achieved at the cost of some compromises, chief of which is the smaller keyboard, i think.

It is still much better than the Centro keyboard im my opinion even though they are similar.

I just wish they had found a way to keep the regular (800w) Treo keyboard and yet found a way to slim it down into one device and also devekoped a slim yet higher mAh battery. Tradeoffs....
    Palm had said that the TP keyboard is 1 solid piece which reduces the cost of manufacturing. I loved my 700w keyboard but am now accustomed to the TP keyboard. I believe a benefit to the pro keyboard is that I can now stretch my right them across and hit every key making typing truly a one handed task. With the 700w I was not able to reach the Q,A & Option buttons. I was very fast typing on the 700w keyboard. The Pro keyboard I can not type as fast because sometimes I have to move one finger before I can type another. For example on the 700w I can press the T key with my left thumb quickly followed by the Y key with my right. On the pro the keys are so close together that I need to move my left thumb from the T key before I can press the Y key thus slowing my down. Also I noticed that my Pro is not capable of keeping up with my typing speed and tends to skip lots of keys making me correct nearly all my texts. I'm not sure if the problem is WM 6.1 or because the stock SMS threading isn't as good as the Palm SMS or maybe it's a hardware issue. I wish I knew how to fix that though because it's very aggravating. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing that issue and has found a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawmen23 View Post
    Also I noticed that my Pro is not capable of keeping up with my typing speed and tends to skip lots of keys making me correct nearly all my texts. I'm not sure if the problem is WM 6.1 or because the stock SMS threading isn't as good as the Palm SMS or maybe it's a hardware issue. I wish I knew how to fix that though because it's very aggravating. Please let me know if anyone else is experiencing that issue and has found a solution.
    Ditto

Had the same problem with the Sprint version but not on the 800w. It was very frustrating and glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I notice too that the kb are curved rows in 800w compare to staight row in Pro.

That being curved and flush to the side makes the 800w kb a little bigger.

Why and what is Palm thinking is something we will never know unless someone inside tell us.

In making the kb subpar, then might as well not make the device.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I was told the reason they made the keyboard smaller was because they wanted there to be room on the edges for a case to overlap. The person at Palm who told me this said they received complaints that too many cases interfered with the keyboard on other models and they wanted to leave room for cases to overlap the front of the phone.

Whether this is really true is anyones guess but the logic did make sense. Of course I would have preferred a more spread out keyboard but to each his own.....
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Maybe I am in the minority here but I like the Pro keyboard. I have always been more of a nail typer anyway. It is nice to be able to reach the whole thing with one hand but still be able to use two. The slowness issue was worse on my 750. The Pro is the best device Palm has come out with in my opinion, and I have had a bunch.
    I'm more the pinky typer. The Pro does have a small keyboard, but it works well for me. It's one of those things that one accepts for the bigger picture issue, which fo me is the thin form factor.