Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by budney View Post
    Dieter, Just a couple of things I would like to know.

How strong is the vibrate on the Pro? My Touch Pro is very weak.
    You can use an application (hack) called TouchResponse to up the Touch Pro vibrate strength. See here. It does lots of other neat things too.

If there is not already one, there needs to be a metric of measure for vibrate intensity.
    Global Posts
    485 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    You can use an application (hack) called TouchResponse to up the Touch Pro vibrate strength. See here. It does lots of other neat things too.

If there is not already one, there needs to be a metric of measure for vibrate intensity.
    Cool app, thanks!

I will be answering my own questions soon, as I was able to pick one up at a local Sprint store today.
    Did anyone ever confirm the Treo Pro specs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Thanks, Dieter. Although some of the answers* made my heart sink (and guaranteed that I'll pass on the Sprint Treo Pro) I appreciate your taking the time to provide them.

* - mostly the earbud thing, believe it or not
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post

* - mostly the earbud thing, believe it or not
    A man who knows what he wants and will settle for nothing less .
    A man who knows what he wants and will settle for nothing less .
    Hehe.

I shouldn't have said "mostly" as if WinMo has nothing to do with it.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Has anyone tried to log into their Windows Home Server with the browser on the Treo Pro?
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Titan is NOT pre-installed. It's simply a big "T" icon, that links to a web page the Sprint Titan Java runtime can be downloaded from and installed if you choose. I can GUARANTEE most who install Titan will not use it beyond 30 days, most uninstall it the SAME DAY.
    Curious.....how can you guarantee this to be factual? I have acutally used this JVM on an HTC and Treo and works pretty well. There seems to be many applications on these devices that are resource intensive so when you combine them into RAM yea things get tricky. Interesting how you recommend a JVM which has very limited functionality and assume that it will work for that persons 1 application....could cost them $49 download. Comparing the 2 implementations (JBed and Titan) there is a huge difference in functionality and available tooling. I use Eclipse and can port my Eclipse applications directly to the device and use the tools to remote manage my applications....dont see that with JBed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre View Post
    Curious.....how can you guarantee this to be factual? I have acutally used this JVM on an HTC and Treo and works pretty well. There seems to be many applications on these devices that are resource intensive so when you combine them into RAM yea things get tricky. Interesting how you recommend a JVM which has very limited functionality and assume that it will work for that persons 1 application....could cost them $49 download. Comparing the 2 implementations (JBed and Titan) there is a huge difference in functionality and available tooling. I use Eclipse and can port my Eclipse applications directly to the device and use the tools to remote manage my applications....dont see that with JBed.
    Because I've got documented evidence of a boat load of people who have uninstalled it after trying Titan with the 800w and Touch Pro. And notice how threads like this start with people saying they just installed Titan and like it, but later all the comments are negative.

It does run programs like Opera Mini, but at the cost of overall device stability. I found, my program memory usage went up 7% after installing Titan, even when not using any Java applications, that's 7%, not 7MB. On a device with over 200MB of program memory.

I didn't say everyone would dump Titan, but I do feel that most will once they try it. No surprise some who like Titan would say otherwise. Works for you, great, but look at the record of comments about the product.

If someone pays $49 (or 49 euros) for a program that needs a Java runtime and they have problems, they can always get a refund.
    I did not say I liked or disliked, just found the tools to be much better then other WinMo alternatives and JVM ran fine for me. Reading through the posts I would not consider that to be "boat loads" of information rather 8-12 developers....if they dont have a problem then why post so its hard to see the other side of this picture. If you have other documents indicating a boat load of information, I would think those working on that project would certainly want that feedback.....it would only make my experience better as well.

I wrote an application that keeps allocating resources to the stack for eRCP and for MIDlet and seems it caps around 32MB (total...MIDlet and eRCP seem to have separate limits). Depending on the amount of RAM available and other applications running....yea that could tax things pretty hard on the device (have not tried a Treo Touch Pro....yet but hope to).

Looking at the stack document on the Sprint developers site it seems they want to allow applications like mentioned in your links (Opera mini for example) but also get the guys like me who are desktop and server developers. Its been really easy to get my code running on the devices because its the same stuff I have used in the past. I dont have much of an argument for the performance and stability other then basically running Eclipse on a device like that is pretty heavyweight and IBM (looks like J9 JVM) needs to optimize a lot more....though devices do increase memory and processors getting faster every year....wish we could have Atom processors in Treo.....that is for a different rant.
    If it were something more users liked, it would be getting more positive comments, like everything else everyone puts on their devices that they enjoy.

But I'll end the circular discussion here. I'm glad it works for your needs, it obviously has some functions that are important to you, but I won't be surprised when more anti-Titan comments come in.
    If it were something more users liked, it would be getting more positive comments, like everything else everyone puts on their devices that they enjoy.

But I'll end the circular discussion here. I'm glad it works for your needs, it obviously has some functions that are important to you, but I won't be surprised when more anti-Titan comments come in.
    More than likely not... this is a Treo Pro discussion... not <place your HTC here> thread.

Unfortunately, some are trying to make all threads into the <place your HTC here> thread.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123