1.    #1  
    Hi all, I am new to this site however I just wanted to share my thoughts on my new Palm Treo Pro I purchased the other day.

After about two years of owning the Treo 750, I decided to purchase a Treo Pro. I was quite nervous doing it as I absolutely loved the 750. Ease of use with the windows operating system, full keyboard on the phone, ease of use for recurring entries for both calendar and tasks, ease of taking photo’s and uploading them on to your computer, ease of collecting email, ease of sending texts, and most importantly ease of syncing phone with Microsoft Outlook for contacts, tasks, calendar and notes. I have about 1000 contacts, 200 odd notes, and 100 tasks as well as many calendar items obviously. I am one of those people who lives on their PDA. My whole life evolves around it. I would say I am a very high end phone user but the phone element would only represent 30 - 40% of my use. So with the 750 being so intuitive to my needs and so simple to use for someone who is not a tech head, upgrading my phone was a big step. I have to say in every respect my Treo Pro has met my expectations in the 3 days I have owned it. It seems all up just a similar phone to the 750 with a faster operating system, more memory, better camera and a few of the tweaks in the 750 fixed up….hence the reason I purchased it. I was quite worried about the ease of the keyboard based on a few negative reviews I read about the smallness of the keys. I can at times send rather lengthy emails (up to 3 paragraphs) on my phone. This hasn’t proved a problem and I very quickly got use to the new keyboard.

I have picked up about $300 worth of extras since I bought the phone. Namely extra sync cords, a great leather cover which does not cover the screen or keyboard, a cradle, extra head phones and a screen protector. I also picked up a few more stylus with a pen on the end of them. The one that comes with the phone doesn’t have a pen. Not sure if the original one with the 750 had a pen but the one I used in the end did. The Jury is still out for me on the smaller stylus. It’s still taking me some getting use to. Interestingly the thing I found the most difficult to get hold of was the Tip from the IGO range of products. (A97 is the required one) This allows you to have one charger in the car or on your travels and numerous tips to go into your Ipod/GPS/PDA etc. The micro USB tip (which is what the Pro uses) was simply impossible to get in Australia. Thankfully I found it on eBay after much searching. The IGO product is excellent IMO.

The quick tour on the phone pointed out some interesting things I wasn’t aware of. The battery life seems good now I know how to turn off the data connection through the com manager. The techs will know what I mean. The battery life was one of the big negatives with the 750. I purchased an after market fat battery which made the whole phone look pretty ugly and bulky to carry around as the battery life was very poor. I also had to use one of those ugly silicone covers as it was the only one that could fit the phone with the fat battery. This phone looks smart and sleak.

Ironically, as I read in some review, it’s the Palm that have produced the best “windows” based phone. Many years ago I had one of those Palm Tungstens and whilst I liked the simplicity of it, the sync with Outlook was a nightmare. At the end of the day from my experience, a sync between a windows PDA and windows desktop will always work better than another OS and windows.. The cool doods can have their Iphone, which still doesn’t sync your notes or tasks and doesn’t have a proper search function, I am a Palm man all the way…although I do have an 80gig Ipod purely for music.

I guess the next thing to do would be to put on some add on appliances. I have never done this before but something I am keen to try.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark1; 03/05/2009 at 09:48 PM. Reason: grammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Hi all, I am new to this site however I just wanted to share my thoughts on my new Palm Treo Pro I purchased the other day.

…clip…
    I have to say in every respect my Treo Pro has met my expectations in the 3 days I have owned it. It seems all up just a similar phone to the 750 with a faster operating system, more memory, better camera and a few of the tweaks in the 750 fixed up….hence the reason I purchased it. I was quite worried about the ease of the keyboard based on a few negative reviews I read about the smallness of the keys. I can at times send rather lengthy emails (up to 3 paragraphs) on my phone. This hasn’t proved a problem and I very quickly got use to the new keyboard. …clip…
    Welcome and Congrats on your new Toy/Tool
    I also came from the 750.
    I was also impressed with the Treo Pro, very early on.

Keyboard:
    It seems some like it, some don’t.
    I like the softness. My fingers don’t start to hurt like they would on my 750, but now I make more typos.

I have picked up about $300 worth of extras since I bought the phone. …clip…

The Jury is still out for me on the smaller stylus. It’s still taking me some getting use to.

…clip… This phone looks smart and sleak.

…clip..
    $300? Wow! I don’t think I’ve spent more then $25 on accessories for my Treo Pro. Yet.

I don’t like using a stylus, and now I’ve learned to use it even less.

I also love how stylish, classy, the device looks.
    Light and Thin is also a great change from the 750

…clip…

I am a Palm man all the way…although I do have an 80gig Ipod purely for music.

I guess the next thing to do would be to put on some add on appliances. I have never done this before but something I am keen to try.
    I left Palm for like 2 years, I came back to the 750, and now love the Treo Pro.
    I don’t want to pack any other device but my Treo with me, and the Treo Pro allows me to do that.

What do you mean; ‘add on appliances’ ?
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    Add on appliances...by that I mean different software you can dowload on to your phone. I have only ever had on my phone the functions that it came with. I think Google maps is a popular one people download.

I may point out that I was Nokia man with a Tungsten Palm Pilot prior to my 750.

"I don’t want to pack any other device but my Treo with me, and the Treo Pro allows me to do that"

I would also like an all in one however I'm not sure how well the Pro works as a music player or GPS device.

BTW is the term Palm Pilot still used?
    Last edited by Mark1; 03/05/2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: grammer
    As a music player, the Treo Pro excels. I use windows media player mobile and I'm able to sync with WMP on my PC and sync all my playlists and with the 3.5mm stereo headset jack, who needs an iPod?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Add on appliances...by that I mean different software you can dowload on to your phone. I have only ever had on my phone the functions that it came with. I think Google maps is a popular one people download.
    Be sure to do Sprite Backups every so often.
    Especially when trying out new apps.
    Take a look at http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-pro-read.html

Google maps should be on the Pro but I'm sure there's a newer version already.
    I use Live Search Mobile:
    Live Search Mobile
    Just call me Berd.