Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    We were hearing with the pre release before teh fix of a report crashes with bejeweled
    Actually that was one report: the original from SU and my re-iterating of that account. I was never able to reproduce it.

WM6.1 has some pretty good memory management and you can open a ton of apps on it with little problem. Any issues come later when they are in the background and if they consume some CPU resources. Combined with the Qualcomm processor which is known to have lagging problems with heavy switching on CPU load and you get the device slow-down effect.

Still, I don't think it'll be much problem for the target audience. The "RAM issue" for me was low on the list of device annoyances--most of it was the existence of IE6, subjective hardware critiques and the lack of "Treo-ness" from Palm.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Was the problem before more of a memory leak?
    Is 45 really that big a deal?
    I know the STP is a different device, but my Hermes didn't have that much free memory after a Soft Reset, and neither does my 750.
    The Program on my 750 is 48/27 and it's stable.
    Yes, but it's 2009 and at 45mb of RAM one would think that we're back in 2006.
    Why are they ever so stingy with this RAM thing anyway, don't they ever learn from user complains and griefs?

My 700wx on soft reset has ~50mb free and even with several apps going never falls below 20mb..this is an almost 3yr old device. I even have WM6 on it.

How can you be defending a ''Pro*fessional'' device in 2009 with only ~45mb RAM?

If HTC can put in 256MB RAM in their devices (like Touch Diamond/Pro) that sell for about the same price as the Palm WM devices, why is Palm still so retarded? Haven't they learned from the 700w fiasco (which birthed arguably the best WM Treo - 700wx)?

Sigh.... I eagerly await the specs of the PrPrPr...
    Mero...

Not to disagree with what you are saying, but it seems that the addition of IE6 to the Sprint version is what changed the memory game.

The GSM version has the same amount available as the 800w, it's just for some reason (IE6?) the Sprint version uses more for overhead than the GSM one. In other words, in theory if you could do a custom ROM w/out IE6, you could get back to around 67mb of free RAM.

Still, it is odd that they upped the storage memory (doubled) and did not adjust for IE6 and the new RAM requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Yes, but it's 2009 and at 45mb of RAM one would think that we're back in 2006.
    Why are they ever so stingy with this RAM thing anyway, don't they ever learn from user complains and griefs?
    Ive never really understood Palm on this either.
    They have a history of just giving us what they think we need nothing more.

How can you be defending a ''Pro*fessional'' device in 2009 with only ~45mb RAM?
    That wasnt my intention.
    I think I was just asking;
    even though Palm seems to be short changing the Sprint guys 20mb, was it really going to be a big deal stability wise.
    I think Mal understood what I was asking, he answered my questions perfectly.

Sigh.... I eagerly await the specs of the PrPrPr...
    8gb
    Just call me Berd.
    If they delayed release of the Sprint Treo Pro BY WEEKS to just add a couple MB to program memory, the whole delay was a waste.

I certainly expected them to do better.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    If they delayed release of the Sprint Treo Pro BY WEEKS to just add a couple MB to program memory, the whole delay was a waste.

I certainly expected them to do better.
    Mal suggested not to expect much more Ram.
    I was thinking they were fixing more of an issue where the device became sluggish or unstable do to memory management.
    I'm making a complete, no substantiated guess.

I wonder if we will find out what the recall was really about?
    I hope so.
    Just call me Berd.

I wonder if we will find out what the recall was really about?
    I hope so.
    Yea, they need to leak what it was all about. Because at this point it looks like they simply found a clever way to lose themselves weeks of potential sales. Or perhaps I should say Sprint caused a delay which was nothing but a clever means to lose themselves weeks of potential contracts.
    Ive never really understood Palm on this either.
    They have a history of just giving us what they think we need nothing more.

That wasnt my intention.
    I think I was just asking;
    even though Palm seems to be short changing the Sprint guys 20mb, was it really going to be a big deal stability wise.
    I think Mal understood what I was asking, he answered my questions perfectly.

8gb
    Not the storage on the Pre..but the RAM.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    What's the ROM version on the new one? Did it in fact change?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Palm sent me a Sprint Treo Pro for review today. According to the memory info in "Settings":
    Storage:
    Total: 339.36 MB
    In Use: 22.26 MB
    Free: 317.10 MB

Program:
    Total 80.54 MB
    In use: 35.02 MB
    Free: 45.52 MB

I haven't installed any apps, and these results are after a reset.
    If this is so then that SUCKS! I have the 800w and I have absolutely no problems (so far) out of mine. In fact it is the most stable running WM phone I have actually had and I have had plenty. I still have until Friday for my 30 days to be up. The only reason Im even considering a different device is because of screen size. Im coming from a Mogul and I miss the bigger screen. I do alot of reading on my device. Its still not that big of an issue though especially when I got my 800w phone for $49.
    Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by bennysangel View Post
    If this is so then that SUCKS! I have the 800w and I have absolutely no problems (so far) out of mine. In fact it is the most stable running WM phone I have actually had and I have had plenty. I still have until Friday for my 30 days to be up. The only reason Im even considering a different device is because of screen size. Im coming from a Mogul and I miss the bigger screen. I do alot of reading on my device. Its still not that big of an issue though especially when I got my 800w phone for $49.
    The Treo Pro has the exact same screen as the 800w.
    The Treo Pro has the exact same screen as the 800w.
    I know the Treo Pro has the exact screen. If I do change devices it will be the Touch Pro on Sprint.
    Treo 800w
    I still plan to get one, but very disappointed that Palm thinks this is acceptable. I guess we'll find out soon how much of a problem this is when people start loading up their Pros with the software they plan to use.

If this reduced memory is being caused by IE6, hopefully the guys at xda can figure out a way to fix it or remove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    If this reduced memory is being caused by IE6, hopefully the guys at xda can figure out a way to fix it or remove it.
    Don't look too hard for help from XDA Developers. When it comes to Treos, their support is rather slim.

The increasing number of carriers for the Treo Pro is a sign of hope for good hacks to come, but much of the good Treo Pro stuff probably won't come via XDA Developers.

What the Sprint Treo Pro needs is a customized ROM that does not have IE 6 with Flash, so those who don't want it can use the Sprint Treo Pro without having it.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Opening IEM6 has caused my phone to lock up 2 days in a row. Weird thing is it doesn't really lock up so much as disable the touch screen. It then turns off as it would if I didn't do anything, it will turn on but the center "unlock" button won't unlock the device. PITA, and requires a soft reset. At this point I don't know if it is a memory (or lack of) issue, or just a IEM6 issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    Opening IEM6 has caused my phone to lock up 2 days in a row. Weird thing is it doesn't really lock up so much as disable the touch screen. It then turns off as it would if I didn't do anything, it will turn on but the center "unlock" button won't unlock the device. PITA, and requires a soft reset. At this point I don't know if it is a memory (or lack of) issue, or just a IEM6 issue.
    You still running with the stock configuration or have you started adding any applications yet?
    Don't look too hard for help from XDA Developers. When it comes to Treos, their support is rather slim.

The increasing number of carriers for the Treo Pro is a sign of hope for good hacks to come, but much of the good Treo Pro stuff probably won't come via XDA Developers.

What the Sprint Treo Pro needs is a customized ROM that does not have IE 6 with Flash, so those who don't want it can use the Sprint Treo Pro without having it.
    Yeah, I'm betting you would need a custom ROM to fix the memory problem since the memory has been taken "off the top".

I'm wondering if the footprint of IE6/flash caused them to really bump up pagepool...
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    Opening IEM6 has caused my phone to lock up 2 days in a row.
    It locked up on Dieter live during our podcast when he was on WMExperts--crashed the whole device

Sigh, dang Palm, should have just converted the GSM model to CDMA and left it at that...

Palm should offer an optional ROM to downgrade to the old Pocket IE.
    Ok Then!
    Though it goes against the grain of all that's pure and good, it's time for a Custom
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast