Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Is their anyone running a different rom image than the default from Sprint?
    no
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I wish there were a ROM section for Treo 800w in xda-developers.
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandersJC1964 View Post
    no
    why?
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    why?
    XDA developers ONLY host forums for devices for which HTC was the ODM. Every Palm product listed on the XDA developer's forums (all 2 of them) is a device Palm contracted HTC to build.

See the site's front page which explains:

Welcome to xda-developers.com
    This site is about certain PDA-phones, made by a firm called HTC in Taiwan. Their makers named them 'Wallaby', 'Himalaya', 'Blue Angel', 'Wizard' and 'TyTN', but almost nobody knows them by those names. The mobile provider O2 sells them under the brand-name 'XDA', and that's what we had in our hands first. They're also known as Qtek, MDA, SX-56, Hermes and many, many other names.

Since we develop software for it, we need information, and nobody seemed eager or ready to give us what we needed. So we 'reverse-engineered' the devices, found a lot of information, and shared it with the world. But as our site grew we realised that lots of ordinary users were also suffering from a lack of support. They started using the xda-developers forum to communicate and before long the forum was as much a user forum as it was a developer forum.

We hope that you will enjoy this site and find it as useful as we do. We encourage you to donate or otherwise support this site. Of course absolutely all proceeds from donations will benefit this community.
    There are not a bunch of Treo 800w ROMs, because not enough people who are ROM cooks own a Treo 800w. In fact, the Treo Pro is part of the XDA forums and it has zero ROMs listed, because not many at XDA developers have a Treo. If you read around there enough, you might learn that many there are actually rather hostile towards Palm and the Treo brand. The last devices you're going to see ROMs made from XDA for are Treos.

Finding new Treo ROMs from XDA seems about as likely as me finding a Touch Pro ROM here on TC. You folks will find most of your Treo hacks here, or PPC Geeks or elsewhere. But it seems not many ROM cooks have the 800w. Not many seem to have the Treo Pro either, but with the Treo Pro being picked up by more and more carriers, that could change.
    Yeah, as darnell mentioned, I don't believe it matters what site the forum is hosted on, it's a question of how many users, how many hackers and whether there are any "inside" hackers available.

I never thought that having a Treo Pro forum over at xda would yield anything despite the petition to try and get one, and so far that appears to be the case.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    This shows that Touch device are popular with hackers and not the 800w.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    This shows that Touch device are popular with hackers and not the 800w.
    That's partly true but it also has to do with the bootloader aka the the system used to re-write the software to the phone.

HTC has a pretty standard system in place, so flashing HTC devices is generally easy. Samsung, Motorola and Palm all have custom, harder to manipulate bootloaders so "hacking" is not so common or non-existent with some of those devices. HTC also leaks like a sieve, so all their future ROM updates get leaked. Conspiracy theorist would say HTC is using the community to test their software for them, lol. Not a bad idea.

Then there is also something that Ebag talks about: namely those willing to step forth and risk bricking their phones--not many have come forward to try it for Treos.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    With Palm's more popular sellers, there were more custom ROMs. And this site used to be the hot spot for those ROMs back when Treo was king.

Some things in the latest HTC Touch Pro ROM update were not previously found in custom ROMs.

Many Touch Pro customizations come from the Touch Diamond, which has sold over 2 million. They may have sold over 3 million before the end of last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    With Palm's more popular sellers, there were more custom ROMs. And this site used to be the hot spot for those ROMs back when Treo was king.
    What do Palm OS Treos have to do with WM ones--completely different situation. Only the 700wx, IRC, has successful custom ROMs and that came very much near the end of its run (few months pre-800w). The 750 had a few custom ones, but they were not popular and had lots of problems. What needs to happen (but may not) is an official 800w ROM update so that people like ebag can tear apart the bootloader and reverse-engineer the process.

There's actually a lot less need for custom WM Treo roms since they don't vary from other sister versions, have crippled hardware or come with tons of bloatware on board. "Fixing" things is only usually possible if you can steal the drivers or updated software from a sister device--which is what many of the CDMA HTC users have to do since the GSM versions get updated much more frequently. HTC devices typically need custom ROMs because they have tons of junk installed, have been shorted on RAM (mogul, original Touch), have ganked TouchFlo problems, have hardware not enabled (FM radios, GPS), have speed and re-draw issues, skipping music, etc.

Even if the 800w could have custom ROMs right now, how would it differ from the current version? WM6.5 is still to early to use, IE6 is terrible, we already have tons of RAM and ROM and no one ca "fix" the GPS situation, speaker or anything else. So I'm not really sure what the point is, outside of pre-installing some prefered software and wallpaper?
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/01/2009 at 09:52 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Yeah, as darnell mentioned, I don't believe it matters what site the forum is hosted on, it's a question of how many users, how many hackers and whether there are any "inside" hackers available.

I never thought that having a Treo Pro forum over at xda would yield anything despite the petition to try and get one, and so far that appears to be the case.
    I hoped, but for only a very short time.
    The Treo's aren't a huge concern over there.
    Honestly, the GSM Treo Pro is so Clean & Stable - I figured What's the Point, what would/could I do to make it better? remove a few apps?
    So I walked away.
    I think I peaked over there a month or so back.

And Mal makes a similar Valid Point for the 800. Is it really necessary?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/02/2009 at 02:31 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's partly true but it also has to do with the bootloader aka the the system used to re-write the software to the phone.

HTC has a pretty standard system in place, so flashing HTC devices is generally easy. Samsung, Motorola and Palm all have custom, harder to manipulate bootloaders so "hacking" is not so common or non-existent with some of those devices. HTC also leaks like a sieve, so all their future ROM updates get leaked. Conspiracy theorist would say HTC is using the community to test their software for them, lol. Not a bad idea.

Then there is also something that Ebag talks about: namely those willing to step forth and risk bricking their phones--not many have come forward to try it for Treos.
    Yep, Yep, and Yep.
    I think the 'not many come forward to try it for treos' is because we are not many.
    I think you said it in another thread; treo's aren't the most in demand.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I wasn't sure if you meant the 700wx or not. mal assumed you were reffering to the PalmOs Treos, and I do too because I don't remeber 'custom roms' in big supply but for the PalmOs Treo's - the 650

Yes, the Treo 650 was huge.
    Unpopular or Popular aside, the 650 was a whole different animal.
    Shadowmite and his cohorts already built all the tools we needed, and though they weren't for the average user, the tools never the less were available. Then came mmastrac RomTool. That's when things really exploded.

Am I going down memory lane with a point?
    Yes, Tools!
    HTC WM Devices have/had tools which simply get modified for the next big HTC WM Device.
    And Kitchens! whoohoo, now just about anybody can build a custom rom.

So we say to ourselves, not only do I need to tear down my engine and then rebuild, but now I need to modify my tools to work with this engine.
    So we figure, why bother?
    I think ebag said in another thread, 'he sees no real need for a custom.'
    Just call me Berd.
    I'm just saying, if 2-3 million 800ws were sold, I suspect we'd see a host of custom ROMs for the 800w and similar knowledge would be leveraged for Treo Pro custom ROMs.

Glenada and plenty of others would like some custom 800w ROMs. If there were any that might have helped with some issues I had, I might still have an 800w. I strongly feel, if 2-3 million 800ws were sold, that would be the case.
    Yep.
    More Treos sold = a larger chance of more people wanting a custom rom.
    So yes, if more 800s were sold...
    But if just one person with enough desire (like chiamd for the 750) would dig in...

Another thing is an official rom is easier to tear down and put back together.
    800 hasn't gotten one.
    Will the Treo Pro get one? hopefully.

So many factors.
    But in essence you are correct - if the 800 was as popular as some HTC devices or past Treos.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I hoped, but for only a very short time.
    The Treo's aren't a huge concern over there.
    Honestly, the GSM Treo Pro is so Clean & Stable - I figured What's the Point, what would/could I do to make it better? remove a few apps?
    So I walked away.
    I think I peaked over there a month or so back.

And Mal makes a similar Valid Point for the 800. Is it really necessary?
    Yeah it was worth a shot...

Is it really necessary? Well, that's a topic for a different thread. I've personally never understood the fascination with having 100 different custom ROMS, but people like to hack and customize, just their nature.

I'm sure one could make an argument that there are enough hacks, add-ons, and optimization for the 800w that would warrant a custom ROM. Sure you could do it manually, but with a custom ROM someone else does all the work assembling, configuring, and testing the various pieces, so you reap the benefit.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I get the feeling sprint / Palm didnt sell enough units their for no custom roms.
    So we don't end up going full circle, Mal factored in the added difficulty a Custom for Palm WM Treos versus other more Popular HTC devices.
    I wouldn't reduce the argument to strictly based on numbers sold.
    xda-developers have customs for even some less popular devices.
    Just call me Berd.
    Where's Ebag?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Where's Ebag?
    Making us a ROM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast