Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Where's Ebag?
    Looking for the question mark that should have been at the end of this thread title.

Edit:
    Aah, whoever edited the title to add the question mark...my hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by haus View Post
    Looking for the question mark that should have been at the end of this thread title.
    Done
    Now he can quit looking.
    Just call me Berd.
    Ebag has not commented in this thread, but I recall an interesting statement he once wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The 800w ROM is no more locked down than the HTC ROM.

HTC's are generally hacked before Palm's simply because there are more people using them. I've actually modified the 800w's ROM....I'm just too chicken to upload it to my device, as I can't afford to brick it.

There's a few which have required passwords and such to get into the bootloader. Fortunately Palm has never had any silly restrictions on that.

A custom 800w ROM has never been about the capability of modifying the ROM. It's been about someone willing to take the risk and be the first person to actually load a modified ROM on their device, and someone willing to actually learn how to do so. A good example is the 700wx's custom ROM's. They were actually incredibly easier to build, much easier than several other devices I tried (including some HTC ones). We could have had custom ROM's a week after the phone was released, just no one bothered to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Ebag has not commented in this thread, but I recall an interesting statement he once wrote.
    Thanks for giving us ebags take on this.

I just know that I've been unable (with the tools available) know for sure if the .nbh for Cheetah = Hermes, or Kaiser = Panther.

So yes,
    I guess the next step would be to just flash the Rom I built for the Panther (850)

If I had an Official Rom from Palm to 'Push' onto the device, in the event my Rom fails, I prolly would go for it.
    But then again, Why? No need.
    Just call me Berd.
    darnell,
    I'm not sure I was trying to say you were incorrect in saying popularity had nothing to do with the availability of Customs.

If I implied that, I'm sorry.

I was trying to say it isn't reduced to just popularity.

There are some pretty stupid (unpopular) HTC devices where there is several Roms for. Because the device shares enough similarity with other 'popular' HTC devices that 'Tools' for Customs are already modified for that device.

I've bolded the part of Ebags post that lends to the only additional point I was trying to make.

I was actually trying to blend (reconcile) the points you and mal were making.
    It wasn't an 'all or nothing' it's factors of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The 800w ROM is no more locked down than the HTC ROM.

HTC's are generally hacked before Palm's simply because there are more people using them. I've actually modified the 800w's ROM....I'm just too chicken to upload it to my device, as I can't afford to brick it.
    A custom 800w ROM has never been about the capability of modifying the ROM. It's been about someone willing to take the risk and be the first person to actually load a modified ROM on their device, and someone willing to actually learn how to do so. A good example is the 700wx's custom ROM's. They were actually incredibly easier to build, much easier than several other devices I tried (including some HTC ones). We could have had custom ROM's a week after the phone was released, just no one bothered to do so.

One more point I just thought of that mal mentioned.

Official or Leaked Flashable Rom.
    That's prolly the biggest factor right there.

If Ebag had an Official or Leaked Flashable Rom he'd be able to easily dump it, modify, and then put it back together.

I know, I get all excited when it comes to Customs.
    Fun Stuff!
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/04/2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: One more point
    Just call me Berd.
    If I had an Official Rom from Palm to 'Push' onto the device, in the event my Rom fails, I prolly would go for it.
    But then again, Why? No need.
    I would respectfully disagree here.

The "need" is always somewhat subjective, but custom ROMs always start out with simple modifications, and more and more gets added later. For example, you could build a custom ROM for the 800w that had the following preinstalled and working:

RealVGA
    HTC TF2D
    MMS working
    Opera preinstalled
    S2U2 preinstalled
    Screen dimming fix
    Palm patches applied
    SD card timeout fix
    Alarm bug fix
    MS Email bug fix
    Script to fix 911 call back
    Sprint Nascar App
    Sprint NFL App
    Resampled louder ringtones
    Strip out junk in \Windows
    ...and many other tweaks from the registry thread
    ...and other essential freeware or donationware

Agreed, most of the above can be done manually, but for the average user it is a ton of work and beyond the capability of some. The above list is arbitrary, but there is no shortage of things that could be added right now.

Anways, if it is really just a matter of having a spare 800w to try it on, I'd say get a number of people to pitch in 5 bucks each and buy a used one off ebay and donate it for the cause. That is... assuming someone is going to work on it (not me!)
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    I would respectfully disagree here.

The "need" is always somewhat subjective, but custom ROMs always start out with simple modifications, and more and more gets added later. For example, you could build a custom ROM for the 800w that had the following preinstalled and working:

RealVGA
    HTC TF2D
    MMS working
    Opera preinstalled
    S2U2 preinstalled
    Screen dimming fix
    Palm patches applied
    SD card timeout fix
    Alarm bug fix
    MS Email bug fix
    Script to fix 911 call back
    Sprint Nascar App
    Sprint NFL App
    Resampled louder ringtones
    Strip out junk in \Windows
    ...and many other tweaks from the registry thread
    ...and other essential freeware or donationware

Agreed, most of the above can be done manually, but for the average user it is a ton of work and beyond the capability of some. The above list is arbitrary, but there is no shortage of things that could be added right now.

Anways, if it is really just a matter of having a spare 800w to try it on, I'd say get a number of people to pitch in 5 bucks each and buy a used one off ebay and donate it for the cause. That is... assuming someone is going to work on it (not me!)
    Ahh..
    The ongoing discussion of "need(s)"

Because we're discussing the 800 I will say:

RealVGA - Ok
    HTC TF2D - No
    MMS working - Ok
    Opera preinstalled - No
    S2U2 preinstalled - No
    Screen dimming fix - Yes
    Palm patches applied - Yes
    SD card timeout fix - Yes
    Alarm bug fix - Yes
    MS Email bug fix - Yes
    Script to fix 911 call back - Yes
    Sprint Nascar App - No
    Sprint NFL App - No
    Resampled louder ringtones - Yes
    Strip out junk in \Windows - Always a Most Definitely Yes
    ...and many other tweaks from the registry thread - Yes/No
    ...and other essential freeware or donationware - No

It goes back to the very old discussion of 'Needs/Wants'
    I'm a Super Stripped, Only what's needed for fixes, Custom Rom Guy.
    Only what has to be.
    Remember, one persons wants are the next persons bloat.
    Nascar? I don't think so. lol

Never Cook into a Rom apps that may receive updates or fixes.
    Just call me Berd.
    Ahh..
    The ongoing discussion of "need(s)"

Because we're discussing the 800 I will say:

RealVGA - Ok
    HTC TF2D - No
    MMS working - Ok
    Opera preinstalled - No
    S2U2 preinstalled - No
    Screen dimming fix - Yes
    Palm patches applied - Yes
    SD card timeout fix - Yes
    Alarm bug fix - Yes
    MS Email bug fix - Yes
    Script to fix 911 call back - Yes
    Sprint Nascar App - No
    Sprint NFL App - No
    Resampled louder ringtones - Yes
    Strip out junk in \Windows - Always a Most Definitely Yes
    ...and many other tweaks from the registry thread - Yes/No
    ...and other essential freeware or donationware - No

It goes back to the very old discussion of 'Needs/Wants'
    I'm a Super Stripped, Only what's needed for fixes, Custom Rom Guy.
    Only what has to be.
    Remember, one persons wants are the next persons bloat.
    Nascar? I don't think so. lol

Never Cook into a Rom apps that may receive updates or fixes.
    Lol, well pick whatever you want, I said the list was arbitrary...
    Okay, I see what you're saying.

I myself, wouldn't cook any apps into a rom.
    In fact, I would strip as much out as possible, and create a custom cab.
    That's just me.

But, by all means,
    we could have all the necessary fixes and tweaks all done.

Sorry if I came across like you were way off.
    That wasn't my intention.
    Just call me Berd.
    Where is Ebag? !!!
    I need to know where to send my $5

How much is a beat-up 800?
    $50?
    we only need 10 people.
    Just call me Berd.
    Okay, I see what you're saying.

I myself, wouldn't cook any apps into a rom.
    In fact, I would strip as much out as possible, and create a custom cab.
    That's just me.

But, by all means,
    we could have all the necessary fixes and tweaks all done.

Sorry if I came across like you were way off.
    That wasn't my intention.
    Hey, no worries... I simply scanned the 800w threads and picked a bunch of stuff at random to put in as an example. There are usually "light" ROMs and "everything-including-the-kitchen-sink" ROMs.

I don't know if I would install a custom ROM at this point, but having options is always a good thing.
    I usually don't do custom ROMs, but if the XDA guys can get a TouchFlo3D2 ROM out for the CDMA Touch Pro and I can easily get apps like Sprint Navigation and Sprint TV installed on it before April 17th I'll try loading it up.

I'm willing to try some things I'd normally not do before the Asurion replacement rate goes to $100, at which time I'm going to dump Asurion.

The time to take risks (if you're a Sprint customer who has been throwing good money at Asurion for years) is RIGHT NOW .
    Hey, I'll throw in my $5 for a custom ROM. And hopefully a kitchen, too, so I can cook my own.

Ebag, where you at? Setup a Paypal donation center and the money will flow in. I hope.......
    I need a new phone, I might be willing to load/test a ROM. Got to drink a few, then <<Language>> see what happens

<<Edited by Berd - Foul Language is Not Allowed at TC in any form.
    The Filters aren't an allowance for that.>>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/04/2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Language
    Since it's nearly impossible at this point to get a custom ROM out for the 800w, has anyone thought of assembling a script or application that would make all the necessary changes that you'd want in a rom? Or have some type of utility that when you run it, you check/uncheck options such as power button hack, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenroc2o0o View Post
    Since it's nearly impossible at this point to get a custom ROM out for the 800w, has anyone thought of assembling a script or application that would make all the necessary changes that you'd want in a rom? Or have some type of utility that when you run it, you check/uncheck options such as power button hack, etc.
    go to ppcgeeks.com and look for "Registry Tweak" it should be on the second pg. this goes credit to dannzeman. let me know if this is wat ur looking for.
    Whatever happened to Ebag, he disappeared?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    Whatever happened to Ebag, he disappeared?
    He's around. Probably tending to things that are more important in life than gadgetry.

But his profile page shows he last logged in here on 3/31.

Goes without saying, that we all hope he's well and in good health.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    He's around. Probably tending to things that are more important in life than gadgetry.

But his profile page shows he last logged in here on 3/31.

Goes without saying, that we all hope he's well and in good health.
    I have somewhat of a guess to where he is. I think he might have given up posting or something like that for Lent. This is a complete guess, but I suspect we might see more of him after Easter (this coming Sunday).
    Where is Ebag? !!!
    I need to know where to send my $5

How much is a beat-up 800?
    $50?
    we only need 10 people.
    There is a seller on ebay selling brand new 800W's with bad ESN for under 105 bucks shipped. Just do a search. Hurry they're going fast.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast