Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just received a notice of policy change from Asurion today. Effective April 19, 2009 at 12:01 am, the deductible on "some advanced wireless devices will increase to $100 per loss." They included a chart which separates covered devices into Tier 1 ($50 ded.) and Tier 2 ($100 ded.). The 800 is Tier 2; so if you plan on losing or breaking your 800, better do it before April 19.
    Huge thread on this already here.
  3.    #3  
    Guess I should read the Pre forums more.
    Global Posts
    680 Global Posts
    Or even just the New Posts: Windows Mobile Section. http://discussion.treocentral.com/cd...now-100-a.html
    Just kidding. That's where I saw it the other day, though.
    Palm III -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Dell Axim X5 Advanced -> Dell Axim X3i -> Dell Axim X50v -> Cingular 8125 -> Sprint Palm Treo 700Wx -> ->Palm Treo 700P (my wife's but I played with it ) -> Sprint Mogul -> Treo 800w -> Touch Pro & Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    It still doesnt cost anything if your phone just died right?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    If it happens outside of your 1 year warranty it will cost you.

I got my letter in the mail today.

$7 X 12 = $84

$84 + $100 deductible = $184.

Most devices can be purchased new with no contract on Ebay after a year for around $184. Those that are selling for more than that after a year are not selling for much more than that amount. Asurion has pushed things beyond the point of where their service was of any value. Who would buy car insurance that with payments plus deductible equaled the value of replacing the car?

I'm just waiting to see if I'll use the one time upgrade to get a Touch Pro 2 when they are available with Sprint. If I don't like what I see out of the Sprint Touch Pro 2 I'll have no more reason to keep paying Asurion. At this point, I'm just trying to get a little something out of all these years of giving them my money. I wish the Sprint Touch Pro 2 was already available and getting solid reviews, so I could get it for $50 instead of $100 .

Remember folks, you can get a 1 time upgrade via Asurion to another device. I'm not talking about 700wx to 800w, because the 700wx is already EOL. I mean an upgrade from one non-EOL product to another. Asurion will let you do it once to the product of your choice, if there's anything else you want. It's been talked about in some old threads here. Don't ask me more about it, because I have not done it yet myself . I'm just hoping to be able to, assuming something new comes to Sprint this year that I actually want.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Be careful when the sprint rep says that. If you buy theri insiracne/extended warranty it always did and still costs you from day one $7 a month or $90 with tax a year.

I have had sprint people use that phrase "costs nothing" when pitching the insurance, which is obviously untrue since you pay from day one
    Those Sprint reps are checking all customer information, including product purchase dates. Even a customer without insurance who purchased an 800w new is under warranty. Nobody is beyond a year yet. So even for the customer without insurance, still under warranty, repair and replacement is not supposed to cost anything.

I'll be talking with Asurion tomorrow, just to get details about the one time upgrade option, to see if I may use it for a Touch Pro 2 in the future. If my talk with them does not go well, I'll call on April 18th and ask them to end my insurance service.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Those Sprint reps are checking all customer information, including product purchase dates. Even a customer without insurance who purchased an 800w new is under warranty. Nobody is beyond a year yet. So even for the customer without insurance, still under warranty, repair and replacement is not supposed to cost anything.

I'll be talking with Asurion tomorrow, just to get details about the one time upgrade option, to see if I may use it for a Touch Pro 2 in the future. If my talk with them does not go well, I'll call on April 18th and ask them to end my insurance service.
    Let us know how that goes... I might be interested in trying the one-time upgrade as well.
    Yea I figure I better get the scoop from them directly now. I don't want to keep paying them $7/month after April 18th, only to find it's going away or something.
    Just got off the phone with an Asurion rep and they were like "we don't do upgrades unless what we try to replace your device with is out of stock".

I don't see the one time upgrade in the Asurion documentation they mailed with their letter and that's the full coverage agreement.

I'm starting to suspect the talk about "one time upgrade" is not what it was made out to be.

Setting a reminder to drop my coverage on April 17th. I just noticed that April 18th is a Saturday.
    Just got off the phone with an Asurion rep and they were like "we don't do upgrades unless what we try to replace your device with is out of stock".

I don't see the one time upgrade in the Asurion documentation they mailed with their letter and that's the full coverage agreement.

I'm starting to suspect the talk about "one time upgrade" is not what it was made out to be.

Setting a reminder to drop my coverage on April 17th. I just noticed that April 18th is a Saturday.
    Thanks, that's too bad.

I may cancel too, I have TEP and I've replaced 3 phones in as many years, always dead or defective phones so no deductible, but I'll check out Best Buy insurance for my next phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    ...always dead or defective phones so no deductible, but I'll check out Best Buy insurance for my next phone.
    Yea, so you were dealing with warranty replacements, not insurance. That's been the case for me every time I needed a replacement. It's always been within the warranty period. Anything that has made it beyond a year has been solid for years, till I wanted to upgrade to something else.

Store replacement plans like Best Buy might be an option to consider, if it's very cheap and a device I feel will break outside of the manufacturer's warranty. And something I'd want to replace with the same rather than upgrade .

I had a monitor that broke just outside of warranty. I purchased the replacement from Circuit City and got an extended warranty, just because I was so ticked about what happened with the prior one, which I refused extended warranty on when purchased from Best Buy. Good thing Circuit City's extended warranty is insured through an outside company!
    Yea, so you were dealing with warranty replacements, not insurance. That's been the case for me every time I needed a replacement. It's always been within the warranty period. Anything that has made it beyond a year has been solid for years, till I wanted to upgrade to something else.

Store replacement plans like Best Buy might be an option to consider, if it's very cheap and a device I feel will break outside of the manufacturer's warranty. And something I'd want to replace with the same rather than upgrade .

I had a monitor that broke just outside of warranty. I purchased the replacement from Circuit City and got an extended warranty, just because I was so ticked about what happened with the prior one, which I refused extended warranty on when purchased from Best Buy. Good thing Circuit City's extended warranty is insured through an outside company!
    Exactly. I was more worried about losing my phone or having it stolen, but never turned out to be the case. Sucker's bet.

And a broken phone is just a good excuse to go out an spend some money on the newest toy.
    But you are paying for repair as well as insurance... If your phone is able to be repaired it should still be covered. If the phone stops working and needs to be replaced under what would normally be a warrenty repair I would think it would be no different. This would only effect when it is not an equipment failure and you need to replace the unit. Even still replacing a $500 unit for $100 isn't a bad deal...
    i think the new changes are to offset them and there changes , i just claimed a unit 800w an i recieved a brand new phone ,

with retail box , clean esn ptr not rec infront of it , ask your sprint rep what yours says in your equipment profile under item description ,
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    But you are paying for repair as well as insurance... If your phone is able to be repaired it should still be covered. If the phone stops working and needs to be replaced under what would normally be a warrenty repair I would think it would be no different. This would only effect when it is not an equipment failure and you need to replace the unit. Even still replacing a $500 unit for $100 isn't a bad deal...
    The only repair the insurance is usable for in most cases is if someone drops and breaks their device. Because other repairs because of defects or a device just no longer working properly that was not caused by something like a drop (or water damage) is covered by warranty.

How many devices have I dropped (or had water damage) and they broke? Zero. And that's even when I had the Palm Professional, which was not as study a build as Treos. Given this I find my odds of dropping and breaking the device to be slim to none, not worth paying for insurance over.

Never have lost or had a device stolen. Again, not something worth insurance given these products are not even $1000 in price.

The only issues I've had is devices going defective. All mine have always been within warranty when having a defect, which was replaced/repaired/refunded via warranty.

So that leaves insurance as something I see I'd likely only use if the device was outside of warranty and went defective. After a year, the $184 I mentioned earlier is about how much it cost to replace a device with a new one from Ebay.

I kept paying the insurance for cases which for me have proven to be less than probable. I could end it today, but I'll wait till April 17th, just because that's near when the deductible will shoot up 100%. Honestly, if I still had a Treo, I'd end coverage today. I just have it for the less than likely event that I'll drop my Touch Pro over the next about 6 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rulk View Post
    NO the numbers to support this are not there. The device has repair protection from the manufacturer one year warranty.

After one year it is NOT a $500 unit as a casual glance at ebay will tell you, it is more like $150 to $200 to just buy another one.

These are consumer electronics they fall in value very fast.

Indeed you can buy a new line and cancel for a total cost of $250 and have a brand new 800w with clean ESN and another one year warranty!
    Given the 800w can be purchased through Sprint on contract for as low as $99, the $100 deductible will cost more than some paid for the device!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Not sure about other credit card companies, but MasterCard will double your one your warranty to two years if you pay for it with their card.

I think with that, and the rise in deductions, I'm cancelling, it's not worth it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast