View Poll Results: For those interested in the Sprint Treo Pro: who's still buying?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as it is available

24 41.38%
  • Will wait until I see what early adopters say about final release

16 27.59%
  • I was interested, but all of the release confusion scared me off

5 8.62%
  • Forget the Pro, Iím waiting for the Pre

13 22.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With another (apparent) imminent release of the Sprint Treo Pro, who still plans to get one?
    I'm still buying. I will get new customer price so it's not like I will be paying and arm and a leg like some of the 800w users.

I will also use my 30 day return deal to give it a good run. If it doesn't pan out, it will be returned.

Cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    You got to consider that a huge amount of sales of this device will be bulk and direct sales to corporate environments.

Sure it will sell some at BB and Sprint stores but we are not going to see the 100, 200, and 1000 unit buys reflected here.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am getting it. I got 7 months left in my contract.

I'll get it for $349 with another 2 more year contract.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Oh Yea! I want one. I'm going to make the jump from my 700p. I hope spb mobile shell 3 is available soon Looks like an great combo.
    Last edited by wmillea; 03/01/2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sprint Treo Pro? That was sooo last January, lol.

Seriously, I never had a new phone, played with it for a full 30 days, return it and still be practically the only one to have used it publicly.

While a nice phone & I would recommend, I'm still sticking to the 800w. To get all sexist, the STP is too dainty for me and my manly self where the 800w feels like a phone I can grab use, drop and maybe beat someone to death with. The STP feels like it's too girly, lol. Ok, that was off color.

But the 800w's keyboard is way more efficient for my needs and I just like the Palm tweaks much better (visual voicemail controls, silence a call by hitting any key, palm SMS, letter speed dialing, on screen search, etc.--it's the little things that matter).

Oh and the Beacon on the Treo Pro for voicemail alerts? Useless. It's too faint and odd to even ever notice. I thought it was such a good idea but at every 10 seconds and being so faint, it's pretty pointless. And IE6 is just awful, so awful.

Still, I recommend people at least try the Treo Pro if they are unhappy with their current device. It's pretty solid, just not a home run--it's like they made a really good phone but sucked all the Treo-ness out of it, it truly feels like just another HTC device (and that may be a good thing for some). But if you're okay with the double-power button thing, the odd keyboard and such, there's nothing fatally wrong with the device--just odd quirks that regular WM Treo users won't be used to.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    ...the 800w feels like a phone I can grab use, drop and maybe beat someone to death with.
    LOL. Reminds me of that commercial a few years ago where the guy touted the "anti-theft protection" feature of his new phone by chucking it at his friends head.

I'm definitely getting the TP as soon as its available. Too many unanswered questions regarding the Pre at this time. Touch Pro is too bulky and the Diamond lacks important features I want. Who knows when/if the version 2 of those two phones will even make it to Sprint?
    Malatesta - All your Sprint Treo Pro experience is based on a recalled model. Not the fully authorized version.

As far as what is "manly", the 800w looks more geeky, while the Treo Pro has the design of a babe magnet. Probably much easier for a man to catch a lady with a Treo Pro in hand . It's like riding in a Lexus (Treo Pro) versus the Corolla (800w). Or a GMC Yukon Denali (800w) versus a Cadillac Escalade (Treo Pro). While there may be some similarities, they're not the same.

What some call dainty is otherwise known as style .
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Lets just call it here is not prefect phone out there.

I like the Pro to have 800w keyboard and minus the shine, but I know I cant get it.

So you go for the next best thing.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Malatesta - All your Sprint Treo Pro experience is based on a recalled model. Not the fully authorized version..
    Gee, thanks darnell...I hadn't been aware of that

None of what I reported above has anything to do with the recall e.g. I didn't even mention the RAM issue, so how is your post relevant? I played with the device for 30 days: I'm completely unimpressed, not buying it when it comes out. Fixing the RAM (if they are even doing that) or removing IE6 (very doubtful) won't change that.

They are not changing the physical characteristics of the device, they are not changing the CPU, they are not changing the Keyboard, they are not changing the Beacon, the stubby stylus in the odd location, the lame Wifi button, the too flush side keys, they are not adding the Palm version of WM on the 800w (visual voicemail controls, alpha speed dials, etc.)...so my I stand by my post 100%. None of that will change with whatever comes out in March (and we have zero verification on any changes so far).

And yeah, I have personal tastes too which is what I posted and I don't see the reason why you feel you need to challenge me on them.

I don't like the Treo Pro compared to the 800w, no apologies for that. Yet I still recommend it for others to try as i said, there are no fatal flaws. And that's the theme of this thread: Sprint Treo Pro - who's still buying? Answer: not me.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/27/2009 at 01:18 PM.

I didn't know they took out all of the palm customizations. That sucks bad. just hearing this make me want to re-consider.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I'd say it's more of a Typical WM device with the Treo Form Factor.
    Some like the Palm Customizations, some Prefer to add their own.
    I'm the latter.

I think ebag posted what customizations are and are not included.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'd say it's more of a Typical WM device with the Treo Form Factor.
    Yup, that's true.

For some, it's a good thing as it lends itself to more hacking as it's all pretty standardized. So you can change the dialer or run 3rd party apps that play with SMS. And it's not like regualar WM6.1 is terrible.

But I'm one of those that really likes all those Palm tweaks and I'm sad to see it go.

Like I said: Treo Pro is a great device, many will like it. I'm just not one of them though, and it's not like I hated it either.

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Malatesta, what phone do you have now?
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Malatesta, what phone do you have now?
    800w

As far as what is "manly", the 800w looks more geeky, while the Treo Pro has the design of a babe magnet. Probably much easier for a man to catch a lady with a Treo Pro in hand . It's like riding in a Lexus (Treo Pro) versus the Corolla (800w). Or a GMC Yukon Denali (800w) versus a Cadillac Escalade (Treo Pro). While there may be some similarities, they're not the same.

What some call dainty is otherwise known as style .
    LMAO!!!! Hey lady, can I pick you up? I have a Treo Pro...

While a nice phone & I would recommend, I'm still sticking to the 800w
    Still, I recommend people at least try the Treo Pro if they are unhappy with their current device. It's pretty solid, just not a home run--it's like they made a really good phone but sucked all the Treo-ness out of it, it truly feels like just another HTC device (and that may be a good thing for some). But if you're okay with the double-power button thing, the odd keyboard and such, there's nothing fatally wrong with the device--just odd quirks that regular WM Treo users won't be used to.
    Seriously I'm still not interested in an STP. I also believe Mal's post is legitimate. Nothing was negatively said about the STP, only his own opinion stating it wasn't for him. I too personally like the 800 keyboard better and the Palm tweaks along with the tacky feel. I would not turn people away from trying the STP. Its all a matter of personal taste (and style... )
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre

None of what I reported above has anything to do with the recall e.g. I didn't even mention the RAM issue, so how is your post relevant?
    And that's the theme of this thread: Sprint Treo Pro - who's still buying? Answer: not me.
    I respect you won't be buying it. Although it's possible your impression was tainted by using a recalled version, I already know that you disagree.

I also disagree with painting the Treo Pro as if it's something less than "manly".

Your opinion is respected and I respectfully express my disagreement with your opinion. Because we all can express our opinions. Even opinions of a differing opinion about a device.

Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I didn't know they took out all of the palm customizations. That sucks bad. just hearing this make me want to re-consider.
    It also probably will not have many of the 800w's bugs. The Sprint Treo Pro is obviously facing some vigorous testing.
    For some, it's a good thing as it lends itself to more hacking as it's all pretty standardized. So you can change the dialer or run 3rd party apps that play with SMS. And it's not like regualar WM6.1 is terrible.
    well that is a positive side of it. as much as i like the speical sauce, i hated how so many hack customizations didn't work with the treos. maybe i just need to give it my full 30 day trial. only i know if it's going work for me or not.

It also probably will not have many of the 800w's bugs. The Sprint Treo Pro is obviously facing some vigorous testing.
    This, my friend, would make it all worth it. even the 2 month delay would be worth a better (bug free) device.

I would consider keeping the 800w if we had a ROM update with some bug fixes. with the treo pro coming i would care to bet the 800w NEVER sees an updated ROM.

None of what I reported above has anything to do with the recall e.g. I didn't even mention the RAM issue, so how is your post relevant? I played with the device for 30 days: I'm completely unimpressed, not buying it when it comes out. Fixing the RAM (if they are even doing that) or removing IE6 (very doubtful) won't change that.

They are not changing the physical characteristics of the device, they are not changing the CPU, they are not changing the Keyboard, they are not changing the Beacon, the stubby stylus in the odd location, the lame Wifi button, the too flush side keys, they are not adding the Palm version of WM on the 800w (visual voicemail controls, alpha speed dials, etc.)...so my I stand by my post 100%. None of that will change with whatever comes out in March (and we have zero verification on any changes so far).

And yeah, I have personal tastes too which is what I posted and I don't see the reason why you feel you need to challenge me on them.

I don't like the Treo Pro compared to the 800w, no apologies for that. Yet I still recommend it for others to try as i said, there are no fatal flaws. And that's the theme of this thread: Sprint Treo Pro - who's still buying? Answer: not me.

MAl,

All I can say is that I felt a lot like you coming from the 600-650-680 for about the first 2-3 months. I would have been saying "Amen brother" in Novemeber to your issues with the TP. However, I fell in love with the TP after "adjusting" and would never go back to those devices. I swore the 680 was the best phone I ever owned but laugh when I pick it up now to play with it. I still miss a lot of the simplicity of the Palm OS but I have moved on since the Windows OS offers so many mor options IMO. I think the idea of mixing the TP with the soon to be released SDP Shell 3.0 makes the Treo Pro a killer phone!! Best of every world!!
    To each his own and we all have to live with what works for us. I think your post was professional and fair in every way. I just think maybe you did not give the phone enough time to "grow" on you and maybe Darnell is right about some of the other possibly fixed issues giving you a sightly worse impression of the phone then you might otherwise have had on a "final" phone. It is possible? Just me two cents.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    800w
    As much as you like the 800w, you can still keep getting it until WM6.5 comes out unless someone cooks a ROM for ya.

I bet when TP comes out, you can get a brand new 800w for $150 on ebay.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast