View Poll Results: For those interested in the Sprint Treo Pro: who's still buying?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as it is available

24 41.38%
  • Will wait until I see what early adopters say about final release

16 27.59%
  • I was interested, but all of the release confusion scared me off

5 8.62%
  • Forget the Pro, Iím waiting for the Pre

13 22.41%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    no Pro, now Pre
    was really ready to jump ship leave all those years of PalmOS behind and get the pro. then Pre and Web OS appeared and that idea was gone.
    If you are on PalmOS, and have the time to wait until launch or better yet a month after, the Pre is certainly a worth a good look and exciting option.

Knowing an OS, especially if you have apps or want to maximize you rability to exploit what an OS has to offe,r creates efficiencies in staying with an OS that you have to weigh. So going from an dead OS like PalmOS to webOS is per se more compelling than going from a growing OS like WM to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    How new is yours? My original was from mid-October, and the new refurb is from November.
    This is my 2nd Sprint HTC Touch Pro, the first I had to return because its WiFi was broken. But "heating" was not an issue with either and I got both last month. For my current one, when looking at the values after entering ##786# on the phone, has a Manufacturer Date of 1/12/2009, Firmware version 1.03.15F.

There are a lot of us who suspect HTC is adding in tweaks to improve the device as more are made. (Most folks I've heard of saying they had issues with a Sprint Touch Pro had a build usually from November 2008 or earlier.) There's an independently maintained running list being kept of build dates now. There's a ROM update out for the unlocked GSM Touch Pro, but who knows when/if that will get through Sprint's hurdles.

With all the testing the Treo Pro is getting, perhaps it will come out the gate solid.
    Jaggrey, you know some old Treo Pros had the heat issue too? People getting newer ones and replacements don't have the heat problem.

Seems to be an issue HTC was having that they've resolved.

So the Touch Pro talk was not so off topic after all .
    huh yea definitely an HTC issue apparently!
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And IE6 is just awful, so awful.
    Any details? Other than the anonymous "Screenshots and Impressions" and you mentioning the loss of the single-column view in the last podcast, there's virtually no information available on PIE6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy70 View Post
    Any details? Other than the anonymous "Screenshots and Impressions" and you mentioning the loss of the single-column view in the last podcast, there's virtually no information available on PIE6.
    It's on a whole not that different--it's just all the changes, imo, were bad, lol.

Yeah, so the single-column view is gone meaning you now have to scroll vertically and horizontally all the time; overall it's bigger and slower to load on launch; it doesn't stop when hit you hit "stop" (IE5 at least does); it still chokes on regular web sites, doing that pause as it loads everything.

Finally, it just did nothing new to really make it worth it. Yeah, flash is there, but half the sites it doesn't work on or takes forever to load. It just feels like typical MS bloatware. I know this is vague, but it's really all I can say on it...it was just disappointing, and I actually like PIE5!

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Mal you are ready for a bigger screen (we all are)
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Mal you are ready for a bigger screen (we all are)
    Amen to that! After seeing pics of the Toshiba TG01 and the HTC Touch Pro 2, I've got a bad case of screen envy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I actually like PIE5!
    Me too.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Amen to that! After seeing pics of the Toshiba TG01 and the HTC Touch Pro 2, I've got a bad case of screen envy...
    I wish it was envy in my case . Some of us are going to need the larger fonts
    MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!! PIE.......
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    I will be getting the Treo Pro when it comes out (currently an 800w user). Thanks for the insightful posts, folks. It's extremely helpful to be really honest about what you like and what you don't like.

Currently I use my phone in a very specific way and it is my "command center", so I use what info you give me!

I had to look up Maletesta's lack of "letter speed dial" to see what that was. I actually never knew my Treo had that. I usually just start typing their name from the Today screen and it pops up and I call them. Now if THAT was gone, I'd have issues.

My Treo 800w would be my perfect device were it not for lack of stereo headset jack (or available adapter from Palm), that is pretty much the only reason why I am looking forward to the Treo Pro so much (so I can go back to using it in my car as an MP3 player instead of making CD mixes).

That, and while some joke about the lack of manliness in the Treo Pro, I find it's the 800w that is not dainty enough for myself, and I personally LOVE the black and shininess of the Pro.

So I'll get the Pro and give my hubbie the 800w. He can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendertaunt View Post
    That, and while some joke about the lack of manliness in the Treo Pro, I find it's the 800w that is not dainty enough for myself, and I personally LOVE the black and shininess of the Pro.
    I never understood that, if that is the case the upcoming Pre is them most girlie handset ever offered. I hope those manly 800w owners are not even thinking about getting that black, shiny, makeup mirror touting, tiny keyboard Pre then!
    I had to look up Maletesta's lack of "letter speed dial" to see what that was. I actually never knew my Treo had that. I usually just start typing their name from the Today screen and it pops up and I call them. Now if THAT was gone, I'd have issues.
    is it the option to assign speed dials to letter keys that is not in the pro, or the today plugin speed dial thing?

if there is no 26 speed dial options... then i can't get it no matter what. silly, but this is my most used function. i like being able to just start typing a name, but really use the speed dial key thing a lot. thats why i dont use sliders.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    is it the option to assign speed dials to letter keys that is not in the pro, or the today plugin speed dial thing?.
    Both are not present on the Treo Pro Actually, that function is tied to that special Palm plugin as it handles the Speed dial, Green send key (call history, dialer), right menu key and contact look up.

On the Treo Pro you have the default WM functions:
    • If you type the name, it hops to the standard WM dialer (full screen) and starts to look up the contact; it's not bad and works but the Palm version stays on the Today screen and allows more options e.g. hold center key for more options like SMS
    • Speed dial is limited to the 9 numeric keys only; 1 is voicemail
    Last edited by Malatesta; 03/03/2009 at 04:23 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I usually just start typing their name from the Today screen and it pops up and I call them. Now if THAT was gone, I'd have issues.
    Yes You CAN just start typing their name from the Today screen.
    Example: I'm at the Today Screen, I type a 'B' and it goes to the Dialer and gives me any of my contacts starting with 'B' in eathier their first name or last name. If the next letter I type is 'O' then it reduces the choices to my Contacts that either their first name or last name starts with 'Bo' at anytime I can just scroll thru the filtered selections or I can continue to type the last 'B' for my friend Bob, and now the only contacts to choose from are contacts "Bob**** All the same options are there; the choice to Call, Email or Text.

Palms way of doing it may be preferred by some.
    I never really knew any different.

Remember, everybody has preferences. Some will express disappointments like they feel the device isn't as good as it could be.

Here's gadgetluva expresing his personal preference:
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Actually, it defaults to the standard WM6.1 dialer/contact lookup now; the contact search from today is now gone. I'm personally ok with this as I believe that the standard WM6.1 dialer is actually superior as you can dial names or numbers and it'll match it up to your contacts. Plus, the Treo 750 contact lookup from Today was buggy.
    <<disclaimer - I'm not sure what the 'buggy' was.>>

From This Thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1502193
    Just call me Berd.
    I went from a 800w to a To the touch pro..thinking I made the right decision...was I wrong. The VGA screen is beautiful...but the battery life is horrible and I really miss the easy access to qwerty kb (can't get use to the slide-out kb)...I will be giving the Treo Pro a try and see how it works out. If I don't like it, I will go back to the reliable 800w . For anyone that has messed with the Treo Pro...does the GPS lag? The 800w was accurate but the Touch Pro is f'in horrible!
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    I went from a 800w to a To the touch pro..thinking I made the right decision...was I wrong. The VGA screen is beautiful...but the battery life is horrible and I really miss the easy access to qwerty kb (can't get use to the slide-out kb)...I will be giving the Treo Pro a try and see how it works out. If I don't like it, I will go back to the reliable 800w . For anyone that has messed with the Treo Pro...does the GPS lag? The 800w was accurate but the Touch Pro is f'in horrible!
    When did you get your Touch Pro?

I got mine in January and the January builds of the Sprint HTC Touch Pro most find to be very good. Many who got it earlier and had issues have been getting new replacements of the 2009 stock and been mostly happy.

My Touch Pro battery life goes a little longer than my 800ws' did. (Although there are people to complain about battery life in regards to both devices.) On screen soft qwerty works good for me, so no keyboard issues although I flip to the slider a small percentage of the time and it's good for me too. My Touch Pro GPS has been working with Sprint Navigation as well as my 800w did with Sprint Navigation. But the Touch Pro and the Treo Pro have true stand alone GPS, which is nice to have. I do plan on getting Garmin in the future for road trips that may involve areas not in Sprint coverage.

The Sprint Treo Pro has a larger battery, front facing keyboard and a GPS that works standalone and assisted. So Chocmatic, I think the Sprint Treo Pro will likely be good for you .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    When did you get your Touch Pro?

I got mine in January and the January builds of the Sprint HTC Touch Pro most find to be very good. Many who got it earlier and had issues have been getting new replacements of the 2009 stock and been mostly happy.

My Touch Pro battery life goes a little longer than my 800ws' did. (Although there are people to complain about battery life in regards to both devices.) On screen soft qwerty works good for me, so no keyboard issues although I flip to the slider a small percentage of the time and it's good for me too. My Touch Pro GPS has been working with Sprint Navigation as well as my 800w did with Sprint Navigation. But the Touch Pro and the Treo Pro have true stand alone GPS, which is nice to have. I do plan on getting Garmin in the future for road trips that may involve areas not in Sprint coverage.

The Sprint Treo Pro has a larger battery, front facing keyboard and a GPS that works standalone and assisted. So Chocmatic, I think the Sprint Treo Pro will likely be good for you .
    Really, Maybe I can give the January Touch Pro build a try... Battery wise the 800w was really solid for me. In the beginning I had issues, after a couple recycles etc., it worked like a charm though. My 800w would last through a whole round of golf and some with texting etc. My Touch Pro doesn't last more than half the round..smh LOL. I'm really contemplating getting a Treo Pro. The standalone gps is added plus. How is the keyboard on the Treo Pro? Is it similar or exactly like the centro? That keyboard is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by chocmatic View Post
    How is the keyboard on the Treo Pro? Is it similar or exactly like the centro? That keyboard is bad.
    I've never used the Treo Pro, but I've read the keyboard is similar to the Centro keyboard, but not exactly the Centro keyboard. I'm sure some Treo Pro owners could speak better to that. Assuming the Sprint Treo Pro has a similar keyboard.

(I touched a Centro keyboard once, just once and never desired to ever touch one again.)

If you get Sprint to replace your Touch Pro (and if you're having GPS issues perhaps you should) keep everything but the old device and battery cover. Just give Sprint the old device and battery cover. Keep the old stylus, old battery and everything else. Then, if you find the new replacement has battery life issues, at least you'll have 2 batteries . Do the exchange at the Sprint store in person and you'll be able to do it free of any hassles. If you do the exchange via mail, they ask for the battery back, as if they can refurbish batteries . But doing the exchange in person, the reps usually will exchange with you even if you don't give them the old battery.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast