View Poll Results: For those interested in the Sprint Treo Pro: who's still buying?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • As soon as it is available

24 41.38%
  • Will wait until I see what early adopters say about final release

16 27.59%
  • I was interested, but all of the release confusion scared me off

5 8.62%
  • Forget the Pro, Iím waiting for the Pre

13 22.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    MAl,
    All I can say is that I felt a lot like you coming from the 600-650-680 for about the first 2-3 months. I would have been saying "Amen brother" in Novemeber to your issues with the TP. However, I fell in love with the TP after "adjusting" and would never go back to those devices. I swore the 680 was the best phone I ever owned but laugh when I pick it up now to play with it. I still miss a lot of the simplicity of the Palm OS but I have moved on since the Windows OS offers so many mor options IMO. I think the idea of mixing the TP with the soon to be released SDP Shell 3.0 makes the Treo Pro a killer phone!! Best of every world!!
    All true, but the distinctions between the 800w and Sprint Treo Pro are very few in comparison to a 680 --> TP jump. Basically for my needs, there's nothing different about the Sprint Treo Pro outside of price, A-FLT and a bit better battery life. In fact, it's quite the opposite--I like the 800w's keyboard much better and make fewer mistakes, plus I like Palm's additions that are missing on the Treo Pro.

I'm not sure if you ever used a 700wx or 750, but Windows can actually be a lot nicer with Palm's additions. It's hard to all write down in a post, though perhaps I'll do it in the 800w/STP smackdown. Also, I'd say that I know within 48hrs usually if I like a device or not. Spending 30-days with a device is enough for me to conclude whether I like the hardware design/implementation. Had there been no 800w, I would stick with the STP as I didn't find it terrible and do recommend it, but I have no reason to "upgrade" to it. Like I said, it's a real good device, just not that big a deal for myself.
    To each his own and we all have to live with what works for us. I think your post was professional and fair in every way. I just think maybe you did not give the phone enough time to "grow" on you and maybe Darnell is right about some of the other possibly fixed issues giving you a sightly worse impression of the phone then you might otherwise have had on a "final" phone. It is possible? Just me two cents.
    Thanks. Well, I didn't really notice nor comment on any software bugs or glitches, so I'm not really sure what they are going to fix (besides the RAM, which wasn't that big of a deal). Fact is, for my needs the STP just doesn't offer anything new--it's not a game-changer for me. Between the two devices, we're still talking WM6.1, 320x320, Wifi, BT2.0, 2MP camera, aGPS, front-qwerty device. No proximity sensor, no accelerometer, no light sensor, no WM6.5, no larger screen or higher resolution, etc.

In fact, forget all the above. As I've said for months now, this can all be summarized as follows:

• You like the 800w --> STP not a big deal, not worth a few hundred dollars extra
    • You don't like the 800w --> STP is heaven sent mana worth every penny

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    All true, but the distinctions between the 800w and Sprint Treo Pro are very few in comparison to a 680 --> TP jump. Basically for my needs, there's nothing different about the Sprint Treo Pro outside of price, A-FLT and a bit better battery life. In fact, it's quite the opposite--I like the 800w's keyboard much better and make fewer mistakes, plus I like Palm's additions that are missing on the Treo Pro.

I'm not sure if you ever used a 700wx or 750, but Windows can actually be a lot nicer with Palm's additions. It's hard to all write down in a post, though perhaps I'll do it in the 800w/STP smackdown. Also, I'd say that I know within 48hrs usually if I like a device or not. Spending 30-days with a device is enough for me to conclude whether I like the hardware design/implementation. Had there been no 800w, I would stick with the STP as I didn't find it terrible and do recommend it, but I have no reason to "upgrade" to it. Like I said, it's a real good device, just not that big a deal for myself.

Thanks. Well, I didn't really notice nor comment on any software bugs or glitches, so I'm not really sure what they are going to fix (besides the RAM, which wasn't that big of a deal). Fact is, for my needs the STP just doesn't offer anything new--it's not a game-changer for me. Between the two devices, we're still talking WM6.1, 320x320, Wifi, BT2.0, 2MP camera, aGPS, front-qwerty device. No proximity sensor, no accelerometer, no light sensor, no WM6.5, no larger screen or higher resolution, etc.

In fact, forget all the above. As I've said for months now, this can all be summarized as follows:

• You like the 800w --> STP not a big deal, not worth a few hundred dollars extra
    • You don't like the 800w --> STP is heaven sent mana worth every penny

Very good post. I have never tried the 700 or 750 so maybe I am missing the whole boat of the windows/palm combo there. I guess the jump from the 680 is bigger then I assumed. I hope the new SDP Shell 3.0 is a great combo with the TP and fills in those gaps?? It looks awesome!

I do disagree with your "non manly" quote on the TP from earlier though. I get more guys asking about my TO then girls. It is viewed as slick, "techy", classy and very modern. I do think the TREO PRO (biased) form factor beats the pants off of just about every phone I have held including the 8oo but this is all opinion and preference.

You summed up your post very well in my opinion- better then I have heard anywhere else since the two phones are admitted similiar on several fronts.. besides orm factor, etc. I agree that if one likes the 800 there would be little reason to switch to the TP, however one would surely switch if they had any issues with 800 at all or money was no issue.

Can't we get the missing Palm additions on the TP some how? Do you think SDP Shell 3.0 will come close?
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    I do disagree with your "non manly" quote on the TP from earlier though. I get more guys asking about my TO then girls.
    lol, for the record I was kidding/joking around with that! Granted, I feel the STP is a bit dainty compared to the 800w, but the part was in jest... I shoulda used [/sarcasm] tags I guess
    Can't we get the missing Palm additions on the TP some how? Do you think SDP Shell 3.0 will come close?
    There's a thread on that here, though I'm not sure much progress has been made (or even attempted) yet. I agree with Dieter that SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 has over-shot with too much wiz-bang graphics and less substance than 2.0. It'll be nice, but I'll have to judge it like everyone else when it's finally out.

Moving from a 755p on Sprint to the Treo Pro will allow me to keep most of my current applications since most of them have equivalent WinMo versions.

For that reason alone I'd rather get a Treo Pro, wait out my 22 month upgrade window and then make the jump to the Pre after the software base for the WebOS becomes more established.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinal View Post
    Moving from a 755p on Sprint to the Treo Pro will allow me to keep most of my current applications since most of them have equivalent WinMo versions.

For that reason alone I'd rather get a Treo Pro, wait out my 22 month upgrade window and then make the jump to the Pre after the software base for the WebOS becomes more established.
    That is a very logical route.
    A similar route I've also planned, except I already have a GSM Treo Pro.
    Hopefully the CDMA guys will have all the bugs worked out and developers will have their apps up to speed, by the time the Pre comes to GSM.
    Just call me Berd.
    lol, for the record I was kidding/joking around with that! Granted, I feel the STP is a bit dainty compared to the 800w, but the part was in jest... I shoulda used [/sarcasm] tags I guess

There's a thread on that here, though I'm not sure much progress has been made (or even attempted) yet. I agree with Dieter that SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 has over-shot with too much wiz-bang graphics and less substance than 2.0. It'll be nice, but I'll have to judge it like everyone else when it's finally out.
    That is fair. I was starting to question my manhood for picking the phone. LOL. I am hoping for the best with SPD MS 3.0. I assume you willreview it for us.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    From everything I have seen regarding price, I don't think the Pro is a few hundred dollars more. As a new phone purchase the 800w is more expensive in two purchase options and cheaper in one

I think when Mal says a few hundred he is referring to owning an used 800w and replacing it with a brand new Treo Pro and not being able to utilize any discounts, and speculating on ebay prices unknown at this time, otherwise the cost differences are less.

I think the price difference is much less for people who own neither; in which case the 800w is not a significant savings for the quite a few fixes and improvements on the Pro.

new no discounts:
    800w: $600
    Pro: $550

new with 2year discounts:
    800w: $100
    Treo pro: $250

new from sprint with 1y discount:
    800w: $450
    Treo Pro: $400

Whether you plan to keep the phone one year or two this is a few dollars per month difference out of a $40-$100 per month bill for most people.

On should factor the resale value in as well. I don't think there will be much disagreement that should you want to resell it and get another device in one year the Pro will probably be worth at least $50 more on the resale market, lowering the difference to $100 maximum in all cases.

As far as "dainty" , my 800ws seem dainty. I can only say that on our two current 800w's, one six months old and one four months old, both have the metal coating on the navigation ring around the center bottom coming off. It is not only unsightly, but almost jagged to the fingers.

If we are referring to the look or finish or keyboard type and size the Pro is more like the Pre. I woudl characterize it as more modern, tighter and optimized.
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if you ever used a 700wx or 750, but Windows can actually be a lot nicer with Palm's additions.
    As a 700w, 700wx, 750, and 800w user (as well as various HTC and other winMo devices sprinkled in between, including custom ROMs), I have to agree. Palm's tweaks make a big difference (at least for me).

However, having the right shell (e.g. Mobile shell, winterface, even SPB shell etc.) can make a WORLD of difference, perhaps THE difference in the absence of Palms tweaks. I think if SPB MS 3.0 is all that it appears (including full D-Pad support, like the 2.X version), loaded on a STP, it could just do the job for me. Having said that, it remains to be seen if it will even work at all @ 96DPI -- I cannot trade 96DPI for a good shell; the extra screen space is a necessity for me (and my other apps for that matter).
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    There is no way a new 800w cost $500 or more. I dont know how Sprint come up with that number. You can get a new 800w on ebay for $250 now.

When the Pro comes out, I'll get it for $350. I can sell my used 800w for at least $150.

So I get my Pro for $200.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    There is no way a new 800w cost $500 or more. I dont know how Sprint come up with that number. You can get a new 800w on ebay for $250 now.

When the Pro comes out, I'll get it for $350. I can sell my used 800w for at least $150.

So I get my Pro for $200.
    You are right... I was on ebay tonight looking at the 800... you can get a new (maybe refurbished?) for 220 to 250 with free shipping...

If palm had released an update for the 800, it might be worth picking up.... then getting a bigger battery.... off you would go...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    You are right... I was on ebay tonight looking at the 800... you can get a new (maybe refurbished?) for 220 to 250 with free shipping....
    that's still quite high actually, I've heard of people getting them for $100-$180, especially on forums like these--like any device, if you can live with its cons/limitations, it's a great 1st smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    There is no way a new 800w cost $500 or more. I dont know how Sprint come up with that number.
    Because it is the list price, Palm establishes that number. The delta in List to subsidized price varies over time and according to carriers needs. FYI the cost of second and third orders to carriers also surely varies.

Carriers set real prices ie subsidized prices. Makers set retail price IE prestige price.

BTW max price on most new in box is going to be $175 or so above discounted price.

It is a simple matter of an arbitrage controlled difference: Lowest subsidized price plus ETF (150) plus a bit ($25) of profit puts you to the absolute ceiling of rational prices.

You can get BB buy today to price math 800w to Sprint at $100 with all discounts instant to boot. Ebayers can cancel immediately and since they pay etf the phoen cant be blocked against resale by Sprint. There are probably people who know how to do this even cheaper.

If Pre sells for $200 subsidized, then on ebay you may see listings lal over the place but $350 NIB could be there depending on whether supply is adequate.
    My first foray to the WM world was with the HTC Touch (right after having a 755p). I really liked that phone but really missed having a keyboard. So when the Touch Pro came out, I was excited but underwhelmed when I actually received it. It had the keyboard I wanted plus lots of multimedia stuff but it compromised a lot on things that a phone shouldn't have to compromise on (like being able to talk on a phone while charging since the battery dies so quick) and the keyboard lag. With the Touch I never felt the need to flash a custom ROM cuz everything worked well for me, whereas with this phone has left me less than satisfied. I'm tired of having to flash different ROMs and try different hacks just for the phone to work the way it's supposed to.

Although I really like the 800w keyboard, it never really appealed to me. Then hearing about the problems it has (altho prolly livable) had me steering clear of it. Since the Treo Pro seems to have the specs of a Touch (which is kinda sad) but has that front facing keyboard, it's a winner for me.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Jaggrey - You'll probably like the Treo Pro. But having a Sprint HTC Touch Pro, can't say I've ever had any problem talking on it while charging. I do it all the time. I had an 800w, I didn't find its issues to be anything I was willing to live with.
    Really? Mine will charge for about 10 mins then stop cuz of overheating. But I haven't tried it with the new one since my old one's keyboard stopped working.

Now back to the Treo Pro thread, already in progress...
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have to soft reset my 800w at least once sometimes twice per day. I don't have hacks anymore and bare bones windows still crash. So if the Pro works well, Im all in.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    I didn't know they took out all of the palm customizations. That sucks bad. just hearing this make me want to re-consider.
    I agree that was a lame decision. I'm sure Ebag could hook up the STP users but it would be nice if the Palm stuff was baked into the RAM.

I'm probably going to stick with my 800w unless for some reason the fixed ROM with PIE6 ends up being the cats meow.

I'm keeping my options open but I am really liking my trusty 800w these days.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Really? Mine will charge for about 10 mins then stop cuz of overheating. But I haven't tried it with the new one since my old one's keyboard stopped working.

Now back to the Treo Pro thread, already in progress...

Oh, you had the "over heating" problem. That does not seem to be an issue with newer Touch Pro's like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I agree that was a lame decision. I'm sure Ebag could hook up the STP users but it would be nice if the Palm stuff was baked into the RAM.
    Palm putting more customizations in would of course require Palm working on the Treo Pro more, which would defeat the purpose of their new model for letting others do most of the work on Palm WM devices, while they (Palm's in house team) focus on WebOS, Pre and things of that sort.

Keep in mind, odds are good that the Sprint Treo Pro won't have many of the bugs that are even found in stable 800ws.
    no Pro, now Pre

was really ready to jump ship leave all those years of PalmOS behind and get the pro. then Pre and Web OS appeared and that idea was gone.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Oh, you had the "over heating" problem. That does not seem to be an issue with newer Touch Pro's like mine.
    How new is yours? My original was from mid-October, and the new refurb is from November.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast