Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't know if thatis has been discussed. Which would be better for the money? and phone?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JonesLegacy View Post
    I don't know if thatis has been discussed. Which would be better for the money? and phone?

Thanks
    It's really a personal decision. I had an HTC Touch Pro for a couple of weeks and returned it. It's a good phone, but the speakerphone was lousy, the overall volume was too low, it was difficult to get a GPS lock, the reception wasn't great, and it requires too much tweaking and customizing to be usable IMO. The keyboard is very nice on the Touch Pro.

The Treo Pro (unlocked GSM) is a much more complete device out of the box. I find the build quality to be very good, the reception is excellent, the touchscreen is very responsive, etc. I like it much better than the Touch Pro. The form factor plays a big part - the Touch Pro is a brick, while the Treo Pro is very slim and compact. I came from a Moto Q9h and the Treo Pro is narrower. The keyboard can be tough to type on if you have big fingers since it is small. The 320x320 screen is very nice and looks great when watching videos or streaming via Slingbox.

Both devices are made by HTC - the Treo Pro even has a few HTC applications like the Comm Manager and the homescreen task manager. It comes down to which form factor you prefer, what features are important to you, and how much modding/tweaking you want to do.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I had been doing alot of research on TP vs Treo Pro vs Touch Diamond.

The TP phone is too big for me. I dont like flip phone. I use to have a Mogul. But you get alot of hackers for it that cook up all these ROMS. It has no 3.5mm jack.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  4.    #4  
    I have 700wx, but god knows what they have been brewing up for tha last 3 months of problems with the Treo Pro. I know with less than 2 weeks, i just have to be paitence
    I can only speak for the Sprint HTC Touch Pro and I know I'm not thinking about getting a Treo Pro .

I had a 320 X 320 with the Treo 800w and I can't say I find it at all comparable to the bliss of a true VGA screen in a device like the Touch Pro.

If you're with Sprint, try both. You could try the Touch Pro for now and then the Treo Pro once it comes out.
    I prefer a Treo Pro b/c of the form factor, that it has a front-facing keyboard just like all previous Treo line. I personally do not like slide-out keyboards (I had the tytn I & II, both slide-out keyboard).

The other thing I like about the Treo Pro is that it retains those special sauce/palm hardware and software features: the ringer switch and that shortcut ''ctrl'' - ''p'' to change the brightness and ''ctrl'' - ''ok'' to check memory manager. No other device out there has these features that I know of, only the iPhone copycatter ring switch!
    I've used a Treo for many years, and didn't think I'd like a slider; however, I really like my Touch Pro. It doesn't feel like a brick in the hand (it's much thinner than the Treo 700 / 755, and about as thick as a Treo 800w. Touch Flo 3d makes it very easy to navigate, and the slight inconvenience of having a slider is offset by that gorgeous screen.

Trying both is a good idea - and deciding how much you'll be using multimedia. If you like watching movies, etc, then IMO there isn't a comparison.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    I never thought much of on screen keyboards till I tried some various ones with my Touch Pro, but if someone comes to like soft qwerty keyboards, not having a front hard keyboard is not a concern. It really depends on personal preference though. I didn't know how much I'd be fine with soft qwerty till I tried it with the Touch Pro. The slider only means faster typing than I can even do with my BB if I use that option.

Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    The other thing I like about the Treo Pro is that it retains those special sauce/palm hardware and software features: the ringer switch and that shortcut ''ctrl'' - ''p'' to change the brightness and ''ctrl'' - ''ok'' to check memory manager. No other device out there has these features that I know of, only the iPhone copycatter ring switch!
    When I had Treos, I thought features like that were a big deal, till I found other devices had features that compete with those Treo features. On my Touch Pro, pressing the hard volume button brings up a full volume management screen where I can press a vibrate OR silent option. The volume can be adjusted, or an on screen button can be pressed for vibrate, or another on screen button can be pressed for silent mode.

If you have the Treo Pro set to vibrate and setup an alarm to sound later, does the Treo Pro remind you to turn the device volume back on? The Touch Pro's integrated volume management reminds me to turn the volume on when I set an alarm up, which has helped me a time or 2. With Treos I missed the alarm a time or 2 because I had that patented vibrate switch on .

There's no need to change brightness on a device that has an ambient light sensor like the Touch Pro. The device knows how to change the brightness for optimal viewing on its own.

The drop down task manager that I think the Treo Pro might also have allows for easy access to check memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I never thought much of on screen keyboards till I tried some various ones with my Touch Pro, but if someone comes to like soft qwerty keyboards, not having a front hard keyboard is not a concern. It really depends on personal preference though. I didn't know how much I'd be fine with soft qwerty till I tried it with the Touch Pro. The slider only means faster typing than I can even do with my BB if I use that option.
    I had some of the same thoughts about on-screen kb's. I never really considered them, but then as I began to use them on my Touch Pro for short items, I began to realize that a person could get used to them. It almost caused me to swap out my Pro for a Diamond, but then I decided that I could never match the speed of a physical kb.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Touch Flo 3d makes it very easy to navigate...
    Did you know about the TF3D HD port and the coming Touch Pro 2 TF3D port?

I've been using the TF3D HD port and it's very nice. It's not something to use if you need TF3D in landscape, but the Touch Pro TF3D port will have a good landscape mode.
    Im partial to the Treo Pro after having one for the past 5 months. I have held the Touch Pro but know little about it. The form factor alone would sell me on the Treo Pro anyway. Just my opinion.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Check out the 'comparison', though very superficial on this post http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...luctantly.html.

I switched to the Touch solely because of the microUSB charger problems, compared to all HTC devices using miniUSB which I have everywhere.

I now switch back and forwards between the two, taking the Palm out when I will only have light use and I KNOW for damn sure I won't run out of juice, and taking the HTC when I have heavy work and might need charging.

I would say it is like having a choice between driving a convertible or taking the family station wagon... It depends what you need to do, how much you need to carry and how much you need to show off!
    I pointed out to you the moon and the stars, and all you saw was my fingertip.
    i have had the touch pro and the diamond. as well as the 700wx and 800w. havent had the treo pro yet but will the day it's released.

The touch pro doesn't have the keyboard up front like i like but have gotten use to the sliders. i started with the 6700 before i even got the 700w. i still like the treo/ blackberry style form factors. these form factors seem to be thiner and feels better in the pocket.

the biggest problem i had with the touch pro was battery life. it sucked. i got half the battery life that i did with the 700wx. the 800w was better but not as good as the 700wx. the treo pro is suppose to be more like the wx than the 800w. one biggie was the fact that while talking on the phone and charging at the same time, the battery would drain faster than it charged. same with watching video and listening to music. it is a very power consuming device.

there are many die hard touch pro fans here in a treo forum so i'm sure they will argue with me, but if you go over to the ppcgeeks/ touch pro forum and start looking around, you will see many complaining about this. specially the old threads, you dont see it as much because it is old news and everyone knows the battery is an issue.

pluses to the touch pro is all the custom roms and kitchens available. if you like to cook and hack it is more fun. i like to as well, but feel it should have worked better out of the box and not required so much just to make it work right. even with all that the battery life is crap.

i would say..... get the touch pro within the 30 days of the launch of the treo pro. get it through telesales so you can call telesales up within your 30 days and exchange for your treo pro. this will allow you to play with the treo pro for a little while before you send back your touch pro. if you dont like it send the treo pro back and keep the touch pro. if you so it in the store you will have to give the touch pro back at the time you get the treo pro and will not have the option to go back to the touch pro. you only have 1 exchange with in the 30 days. so they say. the thing is you need to make sure the date of release for the treo pro is not going to change and be out of the 30 days. to play it the safest and if this device is going to be your device for 2 years, i would get the treo pro first, try it for a while, then get the touch pro. that way you know you sont get screwed when sprint delays the treo pro again.

hope this helps, Cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I can say if you really want a man-hood phone, I mean something that is like as close to a laptop as you can get and on your palm, then get the Touch Pro.

If want hacks and love to change your screen, then get the Touch Pro.
    Last edited by chong67; 02/27/2009 at 09:12 AM.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post

the biggest problem i had with the touch pro was battery life. it sucked. i got half the battery life that i did with the 700wx. the 800w was better but not as good as the 700wx. the treo pro is suppose to be more like the wx than the 800w. one biggie was the fact that while talking on the phone and charging at the same time, the battery would drain faster than it charged. same with watching video and listening to music. it is a very power consuming device.
    My Sprint HTC Touch Pro has battery life that is just a little better than what I saw with my 800ws, but it's nothing to brag about. The old "the battery life sucks" talk is common among the 800w users too. Anyone can search the 800w forum and see the old threads there.

When on the phone using the wall charger, I've never seen my battery draining. Same with music and/or video when on the wall charger.

Chong67, TP could mean Touch Pro or Treo Pro. You might want to write out the name for clarity .
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Sorry, I mean to say TP for Touch Pro. I have corrected it.

I wonder if you like the Touch Pro now, would you like the Touch Pro 2 when it comes out this summer?

The screen is tilted (its back again) and no more D-pads. Its more like a iphone with keypad.
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Sorry, I mean to say TP for Touch Pro. I have corrected it.

I wonder if you like the Touch Pro now, would you like the Touch Pro 2 when it comes out this summer?

The screen is tilted (its back again) and no more D-pads. Its more like a iphone with keypad.
    I'm not so sure about the Touch Pro 2 yet. I'm going to wait till it's released and see what the "early adopters" are saying after about 60 days. (That is, 60 days after a Sprint version is available and we'll have to wait and see what processor is put into it.) While I feel the Touch Pro 2 has superior features, not having the D-pad could be a drawback. The Touch Pro 2 being able to tilt and having a nice TF3D landscape interface means you won't need a desk cradle for it .

For now, I've got less reason to get a Touch Pro 2, when there is a Touch Pro 2 TF3D port coming for the original Touch Pro. But we'll see what is said about the Touch Pro 2 after some people have used it for a while. If both were on sale at the same time and I did not already have a Touch Pro, I'd probably get the Touch Pro 2. But having the original Touch Pro with the D-pad I'm not sure if I'll get the Touch Pro 2.

Here's an interesting video FWIW:
    I've always felt the slider was faster for long messages, but I never tried testing them all at the same time either. The number row on the slider helps when messages include digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    My Sprint HTC Touch Pro has battery life that is just a little better than what I saw with my 800ws, but it's nothing to brag about. The old "the battery life sucks" talk is common among the 800w users too. Anyone can search the 800w forum and see the old threads there.

When on the phone using the wall charger, I've never seen my battery draining. Same with music and/or video when on the wall charger.

Chong67, TP could mean Touch Pro or Treo Pro. You might want to write out the name for clarity .
    For me my Touch Pro gets twice the amount of battery life (maybe more on some days) than my 800 ever did. To the point that I don't use my TP car charger. I wore the 800 car charger out.

I will agree that the new devices are coming with batteries that don't last as long as the good old days. I wish the Windows Mobile device all had BlackBerry battery life. I guess with more and more features the battery just can't keep up.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    i have had the touch pro and the diamond. as well as the 700wx and 800w. havent had the treo pro yet but will the day it's released.

The touch pro doesn't have the keyboard up front like i like but have gotten use to the sliders. i started with the 6700 before i even got the 700w. i still like the treo/ blackberry style form factors. these form factors seem to be thiner and feels better in the pocket.

there are many die hard touch pro fans here in a treo forum so i'm sure they will argue with me, but if you go over to the ppcgeeks/ touch pro forum and start looking around, you will see many complaining about this. specially the old threads, you dont see it as much because it is old news and everyone knows the battery is an issue.

pluses to the touch pro is all the custom roms and kitchens available. if you like to cook and hack it is more fun. i like to as well, but feel it should have worked better out of the box and not required so much just to make it work right. even with all that the battery life is crap.

i would say..... get the touch pro within the 30 days of the launch of the treo pro. get it through telesales so you can call telesales up within your 30 days and exchange for your treo pro. this will allow you to play with the treo pro for a little while before you send back your touch pro. if you dont like it send the treo pro back and keep the touch pro. if you so it in the store you will have to give the touch pro back at the time you get the treo pro and will not have the option to go back to the touch pro. you only have 1 exchange with in the 30 days. so they say. the thing is you need to make sure the date of release for the treo pro is not going to change and be out of the 30 days. to play it the safest and if this device is going to be your device for 2 years, i would get the treo pro first, try it for a while, then get the touch pro. that way you know you sont get screwed when sprint delays the treo pro again.

hope this helps, Cody
    Cody c/s on the touch pro battery life. It's simply horrible. In two hours I'm almost down to half the battery with some use. I'm really thinking of trying out the treo pro. If I don't do that, I will go back to my reliable 800w.

I couldn't have said this better myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I've used a Treo for many years, and didn't think I'd like a slider; however, I really like my Touch Pro. It doesn't feel like a brick in the hand (it's much thinner than the Treo 700 / 755, and about as thick as a Treo 800w. Touch Flo 3d makes it very easy to navigate, and the slight inconvenience of having a slider is offset by that gorgeous screen.

Trying both is a good idea - and deciding how much you'll be using multimedia. If you like watching movies, etc, then IMO there isn't a comparison.
    The Touch Pro is definitely great for any kind of multimedia. I do that stuff so rarely on my phone that it's more of a moot point to me now.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast