Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I do envy the Sprint rates but will stay with ATT. I will be buying unlocked phones from now on. My GSM TP is awesome.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    I do envy the Sprint rates but will stay with ATT. I will be buying unlocked phones from now on. My GSM TP is awesome.
    Did you get your screen issue fixed?
    oh... you had to kill my mood!!!!! LOL. I had almost forgotten about it since I was not under flourescent lights today and it was not visible at all. I do wonder why it would only be visible under those lights and bad!!?? I will be calling tomorrow and will update then.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Why not go with Sprint? Transfer ESN is easy as doing on the web vs moving your SIM card.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I have been with AT&T/Cingular for 12 years now and have had great service with them. I guess I'm old fashioned and feel loyalty to an extent for some reason? Also, I like being able to do voice and data at the same time. I am always talking on the phone while using data. Also, does Sprint allow unlocked phone use??
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Unlocked phone on Sprint. I didnt think about that.

GSM unlocked phones are everywhere.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    The concept of unlocked is GSM. Since CDMA doesn't use sim cards, it's a non issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    The concept of unlocked is GSM. Since CDMA doesn't use sim cards, it's a non issue.
    One can only use Spring phones on the Sprint network right and they are loaded with bloatware? That would be a dealbreaker IMO. Am I wrong?
    One can only use Spring phones on the Sprint network right and they are loaded with bloatware? That would be a dealbreaker IMO. Am I wrong?
    Technically correct, although Sprint doesn't load too much bloatware anymore.

Of course, like most things, there are ways around the carrier locked thing, including 3rd parties who will re-program it for other CDMA carriers or the effective (but illegal) "cloning" of the ESN.

Plus, Sprint like other carriers, is losing the ability (via courts) to "lock" phones to their service and will be like Verizon soon--the latter will accept other carrier ESN's not listed in their database, meaning you can take a Sprint or Cricket phone to their network today if you wanted.

I'm looking to pick up a Verizon-branded Motorola Napoleon (Q9n), which is a GSM/CDMA worldphone and see if I can hack it/clone it/unlock it to Sprint's network, because it's such a damn cool phone. There's no technical reason why other CDMA phones can't run on Sprint...it's basically them just accepting a non-listed ESN on to their network and you re-programming the network codes on the device using QPST, etc.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/28/2009 at 12:49 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post

Of course, like most things, there are ways around the carrier locked thing, including 3rd parties who will re-program it for other CDMA carriers or the effective (but illegal) "cloning" of the ESN.

Plus, Sprint like other carriers, is losing the ability (via courts) to "lock" phones to their service and will be like Verizon soon--the latter will accept other carrier ESN's not listed in their database, meaning you can take a Sprint or Cricket phone to their network today if you wanted.

I'm looking to pick up a Verizon-branded Motorola Napoleon (Q9n), which is a GSM/CDMA worldphone and see if I can hack it/clone it/unlock it to Sprint's network, because it's such a damn cool phone. There's no technical reason why other CDMA phones can't run on Sprint...it's basically them just accepting a non-listed ESN on to their network and you re-programming the network codes on the device using QPST, etc.
    Can't all the carriers just get along??? That has to be said with the correct inflection to make that remotely funny. I think all phones should be universal and unlocked but hey, that is me. WHy not? One still has to honor a contract anyway and then walk. I am clueless on hacking, cloning, etc and feel I will be like that for a long time...
    Can't all the carriers just get along??? That has to be said with the correct inflection to make that remotely funny. I think all phones should be universal and unlocked but hey, that is me. WHy not? One still has to honor a contract anyway and then walk. I am clueless on hacking, cloning, etc and feel I will be like that for a long time...
    The carriers are the buyers of most phones. If the carriers were not agreeing to take 200,000 or 2 million of a model months before it was released these handsets in the variety we have would represent massively more risk to the handset makers, many of whom are not present or efficient on the local level to market the handsets.

You might see less handsets, and likely higher prices.

There are technical problems (some increasing, some decreasing) too since you are integrating an appliance into a system.

You pretty much have a guarantee right now that your device has been tested on the carriers network.

Mostly it is about price though. Look to Europe. Firstly, having lived there 1/3 of my working life I will tell you that the prices people pay for consumer electronics are much higher than here. retail is different. When I worked in Eiuopre and came back to the US three tiems a year, every single time I bought a new more powerful laptop, and sold my used one in Europe for more than the new one cost -- adn did the buyer a favor.

That is why several countries have gone through swings on locking policy in Europe with GSM. In quite a nubmer of places subsidy was forbidden or severely limited. That was a train wreck in those countries and people there often want not tow year subsidies like here -- but three year contract subsidies, and the laws forbidding subsidy lock have been repealed or significantly limited.
    I think I uninstalled one thing off of my Pro when I received it, and that was Pocket Express. That program just leaves a horrid taste in my mouth from my blackberry days, where it had a nasty memory leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    I think I uninstalled one thing off of my Pro when I received it, and that was Pocket Express. That program just leaves a horrid taste in my mouth from my blackberry days, where it had a nasty memory leak.
    That's a good point: the Treo Pro does have more "sprint stuff" on it than the 800w but it all installs post-hard reset (the "customization process") meaning it leaves uninstall info located in the Remove Programs section--so all the "bloatware" is technically removable after a hard reset in a very standard fashion (no hackery).

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    all the "bloatware" is technically removable after a hard reset in a very standard fashion (no hackery).
    I prefer that.

I am curious as to what will be on the two maybe three carrier versions with a rumor of an altell launch soon as well
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12