1.    #1  
    I find that the device memory on my Treo Pro is progressively reducing especially after connecting to my PC via ActiveSync. There has been occasions where I get a prompt telling me that the memory is critically low.

Anyone facing the same issue or know what the cause is? Any programs that can reclaim the device memory?

Thanks in advance.
    Sprint or Gsm?
    Perhaps you have a large amount of Outlook data going over after Activesync as in my case.
    I have over 6500 contacts and on the Centro its not a problem. However I find that the pim.vol is a ridiculous 40+ Mb size and there's another mxip_initdb.vol file which is about 16 Mb. Almost 60 Mb of storage memory gone just for Outlook data.
    Almost every program I install goes to the card and yet I now have like 20 Mb storage space left.
    I had to archive/trim my calendar database to help alleviate this issue.
    WinMo really sucks in this area.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4.    #4  
    mine's a GSM unlocked...

don't think outlook data is the issue...only have <100 contacts and pim.vol is only 956K

one possibility could be WinMo using the device memory as cache like Windoze OS...

sucks big time..have to soft reset the phone at least once a day to normalize the device memory...
    What third-party applications have you installed?
    Do you have Mail Settings to save Attachments to Storage Card?
    Just call me Berd.
  7.    #7  
    Progams:

Spb Insight
    Stock Manager
    Resco Explorer 2008
    Handy Menu
    Google Maps
    Kinoma Freeplay
    Spb Wireless Monitor
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    Bdicty

I don't sync with Exchange and pop email is set to save attachments to storage card
    Dude!

You have me totally stumped.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by wongckel View Post
    Progams:

Spb Insight
    Stock Manager
    Resco Explorer 2008
    Handy Menu
    Google Maps
    Kinoma Freeplay
    Spb Wireless Monitor
    Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    Bdicty

I don't sync with Exchange and pop email is set to save attachments to storage card
    Did you try uninstalling the programs one at a time to see if that had any impact? I couldn't see how Google Maps or Resco could be causing a problem but maybe one of the other might? Are there any running processes or programs in the task manager while the memory is getting low?

If that didn't work I'd back up contacts and data and try a hard reset. If that doesn't work then it must be a hardware issue.
  10.    #10  
    lol...i'm stumped too...

if anyone has the Resco Explorer today plugin or similar software...perhaps you can monitor the device memory and see if you face the same issue...

i just did a soft reset on my Treo Pro and device storage is currently at 64MB free...i'm sure this number will get smaller within a few hours...
  11.    #11  
    for those who are interested..it's at 54MB now
    Quote Originally Posted by wongckel View Post
    for those who are interested..it's at 54MB now
    What programs/processes are running? Are there any?

It might be a good time to start from scratch. Back up your contacts and data, then do a hard reset. Add the programs back one at a time and see if you have the same issue.

Also, what are you syncing between the PC and phone? Is it just contacts/calendar/etc. or is it photos, music, files?
    If you decide to Hard Reset, do a Sprite backup before each app you install. Start with just the apps you absolutely need first.
    If all possible, get by with as much stock as possible for a day or so to verify it's a 3rd party app giving you trouble.
    His advise is well worth the fingers he used to type it.
    I echo the Sprite Backup and hard reset option.

One thought might be to try a program like Memmaid which has a free trial and can clean up your RAM without a soft reset.

I bet the hard reset fixes it but the question is how hard will it be for you to get it configured back to the way you like all the settings and software. sprite backup should help--unless for some reason it is one of your apps that is installed, in which case you will be back where you are right now.

But the idea of uninstalling each app, maybe one or two at a time and them making a sprite backup with a clear name for each file and continuing on until you are done then HR and use a back up and see then. I bet this does it.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    I hesitate to an extreme to do a hard reset - really only as a last resort. I would rather uninstall and test than start everything over.
  17.    #17  
    I've done 4 hard resets since i got the device so it's not that all difficult but i don't really have the time to one right now..

i believe the issue is due to the today plugin for either stock manager, sph insight, sph wireless monitor and/or resco explorer as presumably each will take up device resouces since it is runing in the background....

i'll just do a soft reset each time when the device memory gets low but what i'm really surprised is that no one else seems to have the same issue...i'll give palm support a call and maybe they'll do a 1-2-1 exchange...

thanks for all the help and advice
  18.    #18  
    Problem solved...and the culprit is Spb Insight Today plugin...apparently having Sph Insight displaying all the articles ticker style on the today screen is a huge memory drain...
    Opera Mobile also takes a huge hit until you clear the cache...
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    There is a program called TreeSize.arm.CAB that allows you to view your directories with MB statistics to see how big your files are.

The program is free and I have attached. I think that there are paid programs that also have this (MemMaid)?

Anyway hope that helps.

Regards
    Attached Files Attached Files
    graylion