1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

My wife and I just recently moved from a Treo 755p and her regular cell phone to 2 Treo 800w's. I've been a Palm OS user for MANY years and recently decided to take the plunge with the 800w.

Jumping forward: Now we are trying to sync with out home desktop and we don't have Outlook so it won't apparently sync. We don't use Outlook period but I'm frustrated that I'm SO use to the Palm OS that has it's own stand alone program. I know that we really don't NEED to sync with a desktop with all of the back-up to card programs out there and we download from WiFi anyway but any suggestions?

I'd like to eventually have my Yahoo calender and our phones synchronized and I know that we could of done this with using Outlook but we don't so what to do>

Thanks in advance for the help...
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    What's your OS (XP, Vista, etc.)?
  3.    #3  
    It's XP... The funny thing is, is that I haven't ever really used the actual Palm Desktop when I had Palm OS Treo's but my work would use Outlook so it was nice to sync that with my Yahoo calender. But there's got to be some other way.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drobax View Post
    It's XP... The funny thing is, is that I haven't ever really used the actual Palm Desktop when I had Palm OS Treo's but my work would use Outlook so it was nice to sync that with my Yahoo calender. But there's got to be some other way.
    Sorry, I'm on Vista so I can't really help you here. You should be able to sync fine with Active Sync on XP though. You can find that from Microsoft's site or from the included CD.
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, you'd think so but apparently, if you don't have Outlook on your computer, you can't. At least that's what the Palm representative told me when I called them.

Of course she also told me when we were having problems syncing, that our 2002 Windows XP Media Cente Edition Service Pack 3 was the problem in the first place. She said that Microsoft had issues with the service pack 3 and it wasn't compatible. Strangely enough after having issues with it at first, which led us to call them, it started to sync but then stated that since we did not have Outlook, that it would not synchronize the contacts, calender etc.

Oh well...
    Correct. If you don't have Outlook installed, you can't even install Active Sync.

Your best bet would be to use an Exchange server or Google for your contacts and calendar. (Maybe the new My Phone from Microsoft?) And install apps OTA.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yeah I was going to suggest MyPhone as well. I'm not sure why Yahoo! Go doesn't support their calendar function, but go figure. If it were me I would just export to Google's calendar application that recently got upgraded to use exchange activesync with windows mobile, since I'm not sure how they are handling signups for MyPhone right now - I know a lot of people have beta access, but they signed up before the announcement.
    They have been inviting people into the My Phone beta pretty regularly, and giving away codes as well. I signed up late, but got a free code a few days ago.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Can you try Outlook Express? It is free.

Here is another link on how to activesync with Outlook Express:

http://forum.brighthand.com/showthread.php?t=174688
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    You can't use Active Sync with Outlook Express, only Outlook. The link you left takes you to more software that seems to...rely on Active Sync?
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the info, everyone... I knew I could find answers to my questions here.

I may have to look into Outlook Express to see if it's free version will work. Like I mentioned earlier, we really don't have a need or want to sync with Outlook but we have to have it to be able to have Yahoo calender/ contacts to sync to.

Funny thing about the Active Sync is that it did work. Worked long enough to get our free copy of Bejeweled 2 and something else. My wife is THRILLED with that! She love Bejeweled (easy to please). HA!! But of course since we don't have Outlook, nothing else would sync.

But since there are back-up-to-storage card programs, we won't be in any fear of losing all the data. Unless we lose the phone.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.
  12.    #12  
    Alli you just saved me the trouble... Thanks
    Any recommendations of third party sync software?

My laptop is on Vista. My palm is Treo800w.

Thanks!!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I use Outlook Express also. I haven't tried to recover the files, so I don't know if it worked. But I backed up my phone to the memory card, then moved the file it created to my desktop.
    Why not sync to Google mail/contacts/calendar?

Use NuevaSync. $25 a year for flawless sync between Windows Mobile and Google.

No additional apps; uses built-in Active Sync, provides push email, etc. I think it's better than the Blackberry.

No Outlook required.

Worth checking out if you can go the Google apps route.
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Why not sync to Google mail/contacts/calendar?

Use NuevaSync. $25 a year for flawless sync between Windows Mobile and Google.

No additional apps; uses built-in Active Sync, provides push email, etc. I think it's better than the Blackberry.

No Outlook required.

Worth checking out if you can go the Google apps route.
    Why pay when syncing with google is free (Activesync should already be on the phone)

Google Sync on your mobile phone

You can save all your Yahoo stuff as a .csv and import it or even have it imported into Google itself (there's an options in the gmail and google calendar settings).

All Free