Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ughhh. I had dust which was a non issue really but now I'm dealing with a new issue today. Out of the blue, my screen has developed a reddish/greenish distortion under the screen. It is not too bad straight on but real bad from any angle. It is about a quarter inch in from each edge and almost perfectly square. Kind of looks like one of those pictures that you stare out and the image pops out at you. It looks exactly like that and red and green is color if you can picture that. I did not drop it or anything. It still seems to be responding ok to touch. This can not be good right? I wish a picture would show it. Any ideas??

Are they called a stereogram?? The pattern I'm talking about...
    Last edited by KJKRAMER; 02/23/2009 at 02:01 PM.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
  2.    #2  
    it kind of has a dot pattern behind the red/green pattern like this

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Very sorry to read of your oproblem.

Did you get a chance to ask palm support. I would give them a call.

I have never seen anything like that on a device but you might want to ask also at xda.

Does it survive a hard reset? You can wait a few days to see if you get an answer before trying that.
  4.    #4  
    Help!!!!!!!!!!
  5. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Sorry, I have no idea what to tell you. Have you contacted Palm & what did they have to say?
    I would guess you already tried a Hard Reset?

If so, call palm.
  7.    #7  
    I'm pretty sure it is in the screen itself but will do a hard reset before calling Palm. Does Sprite BAckup do contacts as well since I have never been able to get the Outlook thing to work and dont want to have to type all my contacts in again. MAybe put them on the SIM card?
    Last edited by KJKRAMER; 02/24/2009 at 06:13 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Still there after a hard reset.
    I notice it is a lot more visible under flourescent lighting and not very noticeable under regular lighting. I guess I have to call palm.... ugh. Wish me luck!
  9.    #9  
    It is in the touchscreen matrix itself. I can see it is in the screen but tried the hard reset hoping. It looks like a stereogram watermark with a dot matrix in it, all in a perfect square about a 1/4 inch in from each side. Anyone know screen technoogy? Especially touchscreens?
    KJKRAMER:

Try Palm and if you don't get anything escalate and asked them to open a ticket.

I would have called eve before a hard reset. Even in the case they never heard of it on this device it may occur to someone else and they need to add it to their database.
    If you doubt Sprite, get PIMBackup for future Hard Resets.
    Just an extra precaution.
  12.    #12  
    Hey Berd,

I did the Sprite backup and it went great!! However, the screen issues remains. I hate calling Palm support. Especially when I will have to describe this complicated issue with someone that will probably not speak english well on top of that. I can see a lot of frustrationon both sides with this one. It is almost exlusively a flourescent light issue an I'm wonderingif I can live with it

Definitely shouldn't have to though! I wish there were local Palm stores like Apple stores for the Iphone
    I hear ya.

Just be nice.
    Just call me Berd.
    Sounds like a hardware issue to me....

Warranty replacement by Palm. Let us know how it goes--I think they have an expedited process for like $25, but not sure. Clearly would be worth it.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  15.    #15  
    On hold now with a live body. This is how my online session went down:

[5:43 PM] Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app52.logmeinrescue.com...
    [5:43 PM] Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    [5:43 PM] Chat session established with Sandford.

[5:43 PM] Sandford says: Hello.
    [5:44 PM] Kramer says: Hello!
    [5:44 PM] Kramer says: I have an issue with the screen on my Pro
    [5:45 PM] Sandford says: I understand that you see some colored box on your device screen, am I correct ?
    [5:45 PM] Kramer says: Yes. It is very light, almost like a watermark in nature, but is pretty visible in flourescent lighting
    [5:46 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [5:46 PM] Sandford says: Sorry for the inconvenience, let me help you with that.
    [5:46 PM] Sandford says: Since how long are you facing the issue ?
    [5:46 PM] Kramer says: It is behind the screen in a perfect square about a quarter inch in from each side
    [5:46 PM] Kramer says: 2-3 days?
    [5:47 PM] Kramer says: It has a grid of dots in it as well
    [5:47 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [5:47 PM] Sandford says: Have you installed any third party applications on the device ?
    [5:47 PM] Kramer says: Looks like one of those images where you stare at it and a 3d image pops up. A stereogram is what I think that is called?
    [5:48 PM] Kramer says: Yes. But I just did a SPrite backup and a hard reset and it is still there
    [5:48 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [5:48 PM] Sandford says:
    Actually the Hard Reset should resolve the issue as it is the major and effective troubleshooting step on all the Palm devices.It appears that the device needs a close diagnose.

[5:48 PM] Kramer says: Looks like an oil sheen on water?
    [5:49 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [5:49 PM] Sandford says: Since a hard reset did not resolve the issue, it would mean that the device has a hardware issue.

[5:49 PM] Sandford says: We will just have to make sure that you have performed a hard reset properly on the device.

[5:49 PM] Kramer says: I did.
    [5:49 PM] Sandford says: To find out whether you performed a Hard Reset properly or not, please let me know whether you got a prompt which said "Erase all data?" during the hard reset procedure.

[5:49 PM] Kramer says: I've had Treos for 5-6 years and have done many of them. lol'
    [5:50 PM] Kramer says: Yes
    [5:50 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [5:50 PM] Sandford says: I appreciate your understanding.
    [5:50 PM] Sandford says: Please give me 3 minutes to research on the issue.
    [5:50 PM] Kramer says: No problem
    [5:50 PM] Kramer says: ok
    [5:51 PM] Kramer says: I have a litle dust under the screen lately as well and I wonder if they are connected? The dust makes it tough to see in bright sun
    [5:51 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [5:52 PM] Sandford says: Thank you for staying on hold.
    [5:52 PM] Sandford says: As the Hard Reset didn't fix this issue, this issue appears to be related with the device hardware.

[5:52 PM] Sandford says: I will provide you all the information and guide you in the correct direction to address this issue.

[5:53 PM] Kramer says: ok
    [5:53 PM] Sandford says: I suggest you to get in touch with the Voice Support and I am sure they will fix the issue and will arrange a repair for the device.

[5:53 PM] Sandford says:
    I will arrange a free technical Support for you.

[5:53 PM] Sandford says: I will provide you a Service Request, when contacting the Voice Support, provide this Service Request Id and you will get a free Technical Support.

[5:53 PM] Kramer says: ok
    [5:53 PM] Sandford says: To create a Service Request, please provide the following information:

1) Your First Name and Last Name.
    2) Your primary phone number.
    3) Your secondary phone number, if any.
    4) Your primary Email Address.
    5) Your complete address (Address, City, State, Country, and Zip code).
    6) Do you wish Palm to send you promotional emails?
    7) Your Device Serial Number.
    8) The country of Purchase for this device.
    9) The Place of Purchase (Ex: Palm Stores, Carrier stores, Retail stores, Online stores, e-bay/Amazon).
    10) The Purchase Date of the Device.
    11) Name of the carrier if applicable(Ex: Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, Alltel, T-Mobile, Unlocked GSM)

After providing the information, it would take 10 minutes for me to create your record and Service Request.
    [5:56 PM]
    [5:56 PM] Sandford says: Thank you for providing the information.
    [5:57 PM] Kramer says: Ok
    [5:57 PM] Sandford says: Please give me 5 minutes to create SR for you.
    [5:57 PM] Kramer says: OK
    [6:01 PM] Sandford says: Please follow the steps given in the link below and let me know if you need any further help with them.
    [6:01 PM] Sandford says: Find your serial number
    [6:01 PM] Sandford says: Please follow the above link and confirm the Serialnumber
    [6:02 PM] Kramer says: ok
    [6:02 PM] Kramer says: I have a Treo Pro though?
    [6:03 PM] Sandford says: Yes, you can follow the steps.
    [6:04 PM] Kramer says:
    [6:04 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [6:05 PM] Sandford says: Thank you for staying on hold.
    [6:05 PM] Kramer says: ok
    [6:06 PM] Sandford says: Based on the information you've provided, I've created a service request in our database.

The Service Request number is:

You need to contact our Voice Support department with this service request number.

Using the SR number, Our Voice support department will check all the available information in the database and do the needful in addressing the issue.

Please note down the above given Service Request Number or else you will lose this information once the chat session is closed.

[6:06 PM] Sandford says: You can contact our Phone Support Team at your most convenient time. This team can be reached at: 877-426-3777 between 5:00 AM PST to 9:00 PM PST on all Week days and 5:00 AM PST to 6:00 PM PST on weekends.

[6:07 PM] Kramer says: ok
    [6:07 PM] Kramer says: Sounds good
    [6:07 PM] Kramer says: Is this issue on file as having occured before?
    [6:07 PM] Sandford says: I am positive the issue will be fixed once you contact them.

[6:07 PM] Sandford says: No, we have not faced this issue.
    [6:07 PM] Sandford says: Please save the chat
    [6:07 PM] Sandford says: To save the chat session in a Notepad:

1.Right-click on the chat window and click on Select All (Ctrl+A) to select the chat session.
    2.Right-click on the chat window and click on Copy (Ctrl+C) to copy the chat session.
    3.Click on Start and click on Run, type Notepad and click on Ok to open Notepad.
    4.Right-click in Notepad window and click on Paste.
    5.Save the Notepad.
    [6:08 PM]Kramer says: ok. Thank you for your help
    [6:08 PM] Sandford says: You are most welcome.
    [6:08 PM] Sandford says: Can I be of any further assistance ?
    [6:08 PM] Kramer says: No. THank you. I just have to save the cha
    [6:08 PM] Sandford says: Sure.
    [6:09 PM] Sandford says: Let me know once you save the chat.
    [6:10 PM] Kramer says: Done
    [6:10 PM] Sandford says: Okay.
    [6:10 PM] Sandford says: Have a Great evening!
    [6:10 PM] Kramer says: Thank you again
    [6:10 PM] Sandford says: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. A customer survey will pop up once the chat ends. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
    [6:10 PM] Kramer says: You too
    [6:10 PM] Sandford says: Please feel free to fill the survey.
    [6:10 PM] Sandford says: Bye.
    [6:10 PM] Sandford says: take care!
    [6:10 PM] Kramer says: bye

Exciting huh?
  16.    #16  
    I was just asked if I have dropped it. They always ask that like there has to be a reason besids simple malfunction
  17.    #17  
    I am so Bleeping aggrevated!!! I was told that there are two screens and what I have described sounds to them like a broken inner screen and NOT covered by warranty!! I asked how this could happen and was told that it must have been dropped or slammed down. LOL. I think Im a little more careful then that after my crack issues. It is babied and in a hard case at all times. Let's say I am not happy and will have to call back and ask for the next tier of CS tomorrow I guess since I would not be nice now. I need to chill for a bit like this
    What is with PAlm thinking that all issues have to be from abuse??? There is no break in the inner screen. I think I would see that? And how would it happen if never dropped, never hit hard at all, and always in a hard case? Hmmm.
    Call the level 2 support. I had an issue with GPS not working--essentially failing and when I finally got ahold of a US rep in Florida (I think he was level 3 actually) I was sent a replacement unit at no charge and then sent my broken unit back.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
  19.    #19  
    I'm wrried about refurbs too. I have to have a new one. NIB or nil.
    update?
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast