1.    #1  
    Note: I have posted the following in the Sprite "forum" also. It does not look like they are very responsive there, though.

I have a Palm Treo 750 w/ Sprite Backup installed on a 2GB Storage Card. I have been using Sprite for a few years. I am noticing that it appears that Sprite is taking up about 8GB of space in the \Windows\AppMgr\Sprite... folder, most of which appear to be temp files dated from a year or two ago.

Are these essential files? Can I delete them? It appears that Sprite is pigging out on storage memory on my device.

Steve
    Can you unistall Sprite and remove those files and re-install? If those files show up again then I would think it is not critical.

I trialed out Sprite before, while it worked but had problems in restoring one out of three test backup I did during the short test trial run they give you, so I really could not tell if the temp work file build up is there.

Another suggestion would be to install in the SD card instead of the main memory. At least that's how I have SP Backup installed. It works for me.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Can you unistall Sprite and remove those files and re-install? If those files show up again then I would think it is not critical.

I trialed out Sprite before, while it worked but had problems in restoring one out of three test backup I did during the short test trial run they give you, so I really could not tell if the temp work file build up is there.

Another suggestion would be to install in the SD card instead of the main memory. At least that's how I have SP Backup installed. It works for me.

Thanks, I am already installed on the SD card.

Despite that, these temp files (8MB worth) are showing up in a subfolder off of \Windows\AppMgr.

I am thinking of trying your uninstall approach... Thanks!

At one time, I had much more storage memory available...
    I hear you. That's my problem with my 750 too. Its the memory management.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    I hear you. That's my problem with my 750 too. Its the memory management.
    Yeah, at this point, it looks like I am going to have to be the "manual memory manager".

Fortunately, I have always installed as many of the apps on the SD card as I could. (Except for Agenda One--wanted it in main memory in case the card died.) I just was not expecting to see as much creep in the storage memory as I am seeing. It is almost like this phone's storage memory was sized for a 2-year lifetime of the phone. Hmmm... It sucks how I invested so much time and energy to get this phone set up how I wanted only to see Palm drop support for it in favor of the "new and improved" Treo Pro.

The worst headache is the PalmMsgV001 file--the proprietary Palm SMS messaging store file in the \Windows directory. I am at 12MB size right now, with no known easy means of selectively archiving or deleting text messages. Seems like I can back up all (back up the file) or none... not very helpful. Also, I have yet to find a good way to relocate this file to the SD card such that the Palm Messaging app still functions correctly. The only reasonable approach that I have not tried yet is (re-)installing the Palm Messaging app itself on the SD card in hopes of it then using the card for the message store--found a link to what is supposed to be the app on XDA-Developers site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pump Meister View Post
    Yeah, at this point, it looks like I am going to have to be the "manual memory manager".
    I am trying out Memmaid now with the hope that app will handle my memory management needs.
  7.    #7  
    I got a message back from Sprite... It appears that the aforementioned files are junk... I can free up 8MB as a result. Yeahhh!
  8.    #8  
    I just got the SK Tools update... really nice. I keep finding great little gems in SK Tools.
    Looks like SKTools does more than Memmaid, I will check this one out, even though I already paid for Memmaid license.

Which version are you using?
  10.    #10  
    4.4.7.1, the latest version.

It is a great set of tools, and comes with features to automate some of the clean up tasks in the background.
    ronbo,
    You could try emailing Sk-Tools and see if they offer discounts to upgrade from a competitor's product.

Did you get a 750?
    I had it for some time. Just could not reconcile my Palm user side of me with the WM user. So for now, until I am satisfied on the how to solutions I get, I will ping pong back and fourth. Each device has its own use.
  13.    #13  
    Well, if you get the proper tools/apps you can make the 750 look and work just like anything you want. There is even an app to do Palm OS emulation along with the Palm OS shell.

So you can have it both ways. :-)