Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've had my Treo Pro (GSM) for about 5 months now and I have an annoying amount of dust under the screen. It's difficult to use in bright sun now because the sun picks up the dust.

Is there anyway I can remove the top clear plastic and replace it after cleaning the inside of the screen and all?

Other then that phone works great. No cracks and all the keys work good, I really like this phone.
    Yeah, I have noticed the same thing as of late when using my 5 month old GSMTP out in the bright sun here in Las Vegas, Nevada. Can anything be done? How would dust get under the screen anyway? The fit on this phone seems very, very tight!!!
    Last edited by KJKRAMER; 02/17/2009 at 11:38 PM.
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
    I also miss the color themes from my 680. My 680 was easy to see in even the brightest sun. My TP sucks in the sun... especially with the dust issue now. Will other shell programs have colors more easily seen in the sun? I think the "steel" color scheme was great fom my 680?
    Last edited by KJKRAMER; 02/17/2009 at 11:49 PM.
    Mine had dust, Palm replaced it for me.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    That is amazing.

How did the dust get in there?

Do you just put your phone in your pocket? or pants?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    That is amazing.

How did the dust get in there?

Do you just put your phone in your pocket? or pants?
    naked in my front pocket. it is odd?

HELP!! WOuld they replace a phone 5 months old for this issue????
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Naked in your front pocket? No wonder.

My digi cam got lint on the view finder and other places when I use to just put it in my pants.

Get some kind of pouch.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Naked in your front pocket? No wonder.

My digi cam got lint on the view finder and other places when I use to just put it in my pants.

Get some kind of pouch.
    A pouch is kind of tough when you are a physical education teache running all over the field with the kids and playing basketball, etc with it on me. It is loosely in sweatpants or shorts 99% of the time.
    Besides, I don'think that should matter. Dust should not be getting under the screen.
    My guess is that the dust is getting in via the speaker hole or from around the buttons. The cover of the screen and the plastic around the keyboard are simply stuck down with adhesive. If there is any place where the adhesive doesn't completely surround the screen or isn't stuck down all the way, that provides an entry for dust. I would have thought more manufacturers would seal their displays better than this since dust has been a recurring issue for years.

I would strongly urge you to not try to remove the plastic over the screen. This would destroy the touchscreen and would certainly void your warranty.

My BlackJack II -- the phone I had prior to the Treo Pro -- was the first smartphone I owned that was thin enough to carry in my pants pocket comfortably, and I was happy to carry it that way. Then it started to get a LOT of dust under the screen, presumably from the lint in my pockets. It was very visible in direct light and in darker rooms where the screen backlight made it stand out. In the case of that phone, all the dust was entering from around the D-pad just below the screen. (If you look for a photo of the BlackJack II, you may be able to see why this would happen.) The pattern of the dust was actually in the shape of a triangle, with the largest concentration right around the D-pad.

When I replaced the BlackJack II with the Treo Pro, I vowed that I wouldn't let that happen. I carried my original Treo Pro in a sleeve case from Incipio, which protected it from dust and other items in my pockets, and I carry the replacement on my belt in this holster from Seidio. I know belt cases aren't for everyone, but I definitely like not having to take the phone out of my pocket so I can sit down. There's also no risk of pocket lint getting inside.
  11.    #11  
    Well I carry mine in my shirt pocket and I don't plan on changing. Does Palm offer an advanced replacement program I can't go for a week with no phone.
    Based on peoples' experiences getting replacements for cracked Treo Pros, whether or not you get offered an advance replacement seems to depend on who answers the support line. It's really irritating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    My guess is that the dust is getting in via the speaker hole or from around the buttons. The cover of the screen and the plastic around the keyboard are simply stuck down with adhesive. If there is any place where the adhesive doesn't completely surround the screen or isn't stuck down all the way, that provides an entry for dust. I would have thought more manufacturers would seal their displays better than this since dust has been a recurring issue for years.

I would strongly urge you to not try to remove the plastic over the screen. This would destroy the touchscreen and would certainly void your warranty.

My BlackJack II -- the phone I had prior to the Treo Pro -- was the first smartphone I owned that was thin enough to carry in my pants pocket comfortably, and I was happy to carry it that way. Then it started to get a LOT of dust under the screen, presumably from the lint in my pockets. It was very visible in direct light and in darker rooms where the screen backlight made it stand out. In the case of that phone, all the dust was entering from around the D-pad just below the screen. (If you look for a photo of the BlackJack II, you may be able to see why this would happen.) The pattern of the dust was actually in the shape of a triangle, with the largest concentration right around the D-pad.

When I replaced the BlackJack II with the Treo Pro, I vowed that I wouldn't let that happen. I carried my original Treo Pro in a sleeve case from Incipio, which protected it from dust and other items in my pockets, and I carry the replacement on my belt in this holster from Seidio. I know belt cases aren't for everyone, but I definitely like not having to take the phone out of my pocket so I can sit down. There's also no risk of pocket lint getting inside.
    I have had Treos for probably 5+ years now?? I had the 600 for a bit, then the 650 for about 2 years, and then the 680 fo almost 2 years before now settling in on the TP. I have ALWAYS carried my treo naked in my pocket due to the nature of my job and have NEVER had any sign of dust/lint on any of them. This is inexcusable and not good. I only see the dust in very bright, direct sun. It is not visible at any other time. This is 2009 and dust being any kind of issue is ridiculous!!!
    I definitely agree with you on that!
    Repeat this ten times and see how ridiculous of a problem this is:

The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!
    The year is 2009!

ROFLMAO!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Completely agree. I just came from a Moto Q9c and the dust under the screen was annoying! I can't understand why the phones can't be engineered to eliminate this issue.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Since the Pro is unlock GSM, that mean Palm will take it back and get it fix?

For my 800w, I cant sent it back to Palm right?
    Since the Pro is unlock GSM, that mean Palm will take it back and get it fix?

For my 800w, I cant sent it back to Palm right?
    I doubt Palm will fix it for free?????

They should though
    Dust under the screen was an issue with the Treo 600. I remember it very well. There was a thread about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slem View Post
    Dust under the screen was an issue with the Treo 600. I remember it very well. There was a thread about it.
    Possibly. Like I stated- I only had my 600 a sort time. I did not have that problem. I definitely did not have the dust issue in either the 650 or 680 that I had for about 2 years each.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast