Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Decius View Post
    Then it started to get a LOT of dust under the screen, presumably from the lint in my pockets. It was very visible in direct light and in darker rooms where the screen backlight made it stand out.
    I just did two things

1) I looked at our two 800w. both have dust under the screen and are two and five months old respectively. The two month old, mine, which I carry in jacket and trouser pockets has more dust than the 5 five month old which my wife carries in her purse and which has just a couple of specs under the screen near the corners.,.

2) I googled "dust under screen" and found this to be a fairly common issue with Blackberry, iphone, MOto (moto Q), non HTC Palm, HTC Palm and large numbers of phones. Apparently Apple warranty replaces this but it is unclear if the the almost every other maker with this issue also warrantys it out.

dust under screen palm 650:
    http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57310

dust udner screen palm 755p
    http://www.everythingtreo.com/forum/...een-16357.html

blackberry:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dus...en-fix-119968/

Moto q:
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/motor...ur-screen.html

iphone:
    http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum...een-43083.html

there are lots more. It is nearly impossible to find a handset with a decent sized screen where this isn't mentioned!
  2. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    I have some specks of dust under the screen on my 4 month old GTP, nothing real distracting.

I carry it in my pocket or in my purse, no sleeve.
    My dust is ONLY visible with VERY bright sun that we tend to get here in Vegas. It is not visible at any other time at all. Even at that, it is only when I am running a few programs with little contrast like Easy Grade Pro.... unfortunately for me. I consider it a non-issue really but it should not happen on a $550 phone IMO
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
  4. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    I consider it a non-issue really but it should not happen on a $550 phone IMO
    Absolutely agreed. I have an advantage over you, being in SE Wisconsin, we don't have as much sun, so I am bothered even less.

In any case, it shouldn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    Absolutely agreed. I have an advantage over you, being in SE Wisconsin, we don't have as much sun, so I am bothered even less.

In any case, it shouldn't happen.
    That would be true. Here in LAs Vegas, we are blessed/cursed with over 300 days of sun..... usually bright without a single cloud in the sky. Clouds help a lot with visability. On the "bright side"- it was about 70 here today...... and actually a little cloudy. LOL.
    Even if I had dust, I prolly wouldn't ever notice.
    In Portland OR we call the Sun a UFO.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Even if I had dust, I prolly wouldn't ever notice.
    In Portland OR we call the Sun a UFO.
    LOL. I hear ya! I lived in Rhode Island for almost 20 years before coming to Vegas. We call RI Oregon EAst for all the rain and lack of sun there over the last decade or more. Depressing!
    BAck OT. AT least my TP dust issue only occurs in the sun. I read posts of it being issues at night. That would suck. I'll just roll with it for now
    The latest Winterface shell replacement has a bright skin added instead of the black skin, this is probably much more visible. See screenshot here: Vito Releases Winterface 1.3 Mobile Shell
    Click here for more Treo Pro Tricks
    I definitely agree with you on that!
    SOS, we need a dust-repelant engineer at Palm's design dept!
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    SOS, we need a dust-repelant engineer at Palm's design dept!
    WOuld the dust guys be different then the crack guys or would they be dusty crack guys?
    Would putting some sort of skin on the device help at all. Maybe an Invisible Skin shield type thing? I carry all of my phones in my pocket and can not subscribe to the belt clip thing. I may be a nerd, but I don't want everyone else to know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108 View Post
    Would putting some sort of skin on the device help at all. Maybe an Invisible Skin shield type thing? I carry all of my phones in my pocket and can not subscribe to the belt clip thing. I may be a nerd, but I don't want everyone else to know that.
    Maybe??? I have mine in a hard Seidio Innocase. MAybe I should have put shrink wrap around it??
    Last edited by KJKRAMER; 05/14/2009 at 09:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Just noticed the dust today, I've only had my Unlocked TP for a little more than two weeks now. I had this issue with my old Moto Q and it drove me nuts. I guess I can always exchange it, but it still stinks. I've got an original Blackjack that is pushing 3 years old and there isn't a sign of dust anywhere.

I guess other than carrying the thing in a case all the time is about the only that helps!
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    I found the dust issue myself. I actually took the thing apart an blew the dust out. I think I saw mentioned taking the bezel off, if you do it will be broken for good, the screen actually just pops out from behind. There is a small (like the thickness of paper small) gap in the bottom two corners. It looked to me like the grill over the speaker would allow only the smallest amount of dust/lint in and there was a way to get in there. Everything is packed in there really tight and I think the only solution would be to seal the screen in there. As annoying as it is at least this way you can still change the screen out.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgangut View Post
    I found the dust issue myself. I actually took the thing apart an blew the dust out. I think I saw mentioned taking the bezel off, if you do it will be broken for good, the screen actually just pops out from behind. There is a small (like the thickness of paper small) gap in the bottom two corners. It looked to me like the grill over the speaker would allow only the smallest amount of dust/lint in and there was a way to get in there. Everything is packed in there really tight and I think the only solution would be to seal the screen in there. As annoying as it is at least this way you can still change the screen out.
    How did you get the TP screen off? I would love to be able to blow that dust out somehow.
    My dust issue has not gotten worse or better. Any ideas? Am I really the only person on this site with dust issues??
    I just took the case off, 5 screws on the back. Then removed the motherboard. From there the screen pops out from behind. Then I blew it out.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

I've never seen disassembly instructions for the Treo Pro, nor are there many photos of the guts of the phone. Are there any of those annoying plastic clips that you have to fight with to separate the halves of the phone or does it just separate easily once the screws are removed? I am quite hesitant to do anything that would require flexing or bending the plastic housing.

I am interested in trying to fix my keyboard issue myself rather than trying to get Palm to replace it. (The plastic surrounding the keys is separating from the phone housing as it did with my original cracked TP.) It looks like it could be easily taken care of from inside with just a drop of superglue or something.

I do worry about voiding my warranty, though, with the cracking issue still a possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Completely agree. I just came from a Moto Q9c and the dust under the screen was annoying! I can't understand why the phones can't be engineered to eliminate this issue.
    I also had a Q9C, and it would get dust under the screen, but only in one corner. It was almost as if someone had blown dust into the phone from that corner the way it would spread out in a radius from the corner.

I ended up taking mine apart to clean off the screen. That didn't solve the problem, because it would come back every few months. But I did get very good at taking it apart and cleaning it. If they don't replace it, you should consider taking it apart and cleaning it yourself. It's a great learning experience, and in my opinion, it's not that hard.

-- Jim
    I've never seen disassembly instructions for the Treo Pro, nor are there many photos of the guts of the phone. Are there any of those annoying plastic clips that you have to fight with to separate the halves of the phone or does it just separate easily once the screws are removed? I am quite hesitant to do anything that would require flexing or bending the plastic housing.

I am interested in trying to fix my keyboard issue myself rather than trying to get Palm to replace it. (The plastic surrounding the keys is separating from the phone housing as it did with my original cracked TP.) It looks like it could be easily taken care of from inside with just a drop of superglue or something.

I do worry about voiding my warranty, though, with the cracking issue still a possibility.
    Yes there are the plastic clips, it was somewhat similar to taking the Centro apart. The bottom piece is the tricky part you have to loosen everything up and slowly separate the halves. The good news is the Warranty sticker is really easy to remove intact. I am already starting to get the lint under the screen again so maybe I will take some shots when I take it apart next time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast