Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 178
  1.    #1  
    Saw this interesting article on cnn.com tonight (link below), but thought this paragraph was pretty interesting.

    For some time now, Microsoft has been working on a significant overhaul of its operating system, known as Windows Mobile 7. However, that project has hit delays, prompting Microsoft to push forward with an interim update, Windows Mobile 6.5, which the company is widely expected to detail next month. Lees declined to comment specifically on either version of the operating system, but promised the company would have more to say on the OS front in Barcelona.
    Microsoft aiming to recover lost ground in mobile - CNN.com

    Also this quote:

    Barcelona in the middle of next month
    -
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/14/2009 at 05:04 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  2. #2  
    nah, they'll announced it at Barcelona, but it won't be available till the second half of this year

    we have one build floating around right now...it's far from complete.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  3. #3  
    not complete maybe, but elements from it I think is a possiblity
  4. #4  
    The #1 requirement is a Windows hard key, which the Treo Pro has. With the Sprint Treo Pro coming out when WM 6.5 is nearing final release, perhaps maybe it will have a free WM 6.5 upgrade in its future? And maybe other Treo Pros may too?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The #1 requirement is a Windows hard key, which the Treo Pro has. With the Sprint Treo Pro coming out when WM 6.5 is nearing final release, perhaps maybe it will have a free WM 6.5 upgrade in its future? And maybe other Treo Pros may too?
    I don't think so. MSFT said in the WM 6.5 intro that no current devices would get an official upgrade to 6.5. I'm sure the folks over at xda will have unofficial 6.5 ROMs a few minutes after the first 6.5 device hits the street. Probably not for the Treo Pro since there seems to be very little development over there for this device.
  6. #6  
    I doubt they will put out any upgrades or patches for Treo Pro. They are betting the farm on the Pre and all efforts will go to that.

    Sad to say the Treo Pro will be dead short of any enhancements for Carriers. Like Sprint or ?

    Too bad cause the Pro is a nice phone.
  7. #7  
    Anyone have any info yet on what the upgrade will include or be btter at?
    My father was a drunk, a gambler and a womanizer. I worshipped him.-Travolta
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post
    Anyone have any info yet on what the upgrade will include or be btter at?
    http://www.wmexperts.com/windows-mob...l-feature-list

    And to the OP: no, I highly doubt there will be a WM6.5 upgrade for the Treo Pro, at least at this time and as far as we know.

    Ask the question again in 6-8 months.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by LIVE4SPD View Post
    I doubt they will put out any upgrades or patches for Treo Pro. They are betting the farm on the Pre and all efforts will go to that. .
    Of course there will be patches. As far as upgrades, a completely different thing, that is extremely rare for any phone.

    Sprint isn't betting the farm on the Pre, it won't be 10% of its total sales for the next six months. Sprint will sell more WM phones during that period and for the foreseeable future.

    Palm is a different story, but what they do also has to do with competition on WM.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I don't think so. MSFT said in the WM 6.5 intro that no current devices would get an official upgrade to 6.5.
    Thank you Dwboston, you provided a very helpful response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Ask the question again in 6-8 months.
    No exactly helpful.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    No exactly helpful.
    I'm not interested in your reviews of my posts and it was helpful because it is realalistic. MS wont be finished with WM6.5 for another six months and we wont see it on devices till the end of 2009.

    So wait and ask again in 6-8 months because by then any upgrade paths for current devices will be announced/leaked. Anything other than that is guessing.
  12. #12  
    The answer is almost assuredly NO. I don't think the Treo Pro has the horsepower to run 6.5. The ONLY devices I know of off the top of my head that will be upgradable are the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    The answer is almost assuredly NO. I don't think the Treo Pro has the horsepower to run 6.5. The ONLY devices I know of off the top of my head that will be upgradable are the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2
    I agree that the Treo Pro won't get upgraded, but don't the Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 have the same Qualcomm processor as the Treo Pro? One of the big complaints I've seen about the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2 is that HTC didn't really upgrade the internal hardware over the original versions.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I agree that the Treo Pro won't get upgraded, but don't the Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 have the same Qualcomm processor as the Treo Pro? One of the big complaints I've seen about the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2 is that HTC didn't really upgrade the internal hardware over the original versions.
    The Touch Pro didn't really need an upgrade. It's already a beast.

    Now it could use a more efficient setup....the power drain on it is rather heavy....
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    The answer is almost assuredly NO. I don't think the Treo Pro has the horsepower to run 6.5. The ONLY devices I know of off the top of my head that will be upgradable are the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2
    Read your preview on 6.5 and enjoyed it. Seems like some cool features, but nothing someone like me who's still using 5.0 will miss for now. It will be interesting to see how 6.5 affects battery life.

    Are you still at MWC? Any chance you can pry some info on the Sprint Treo Pro loose from Palm?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I agree that the Treo Pro won't get upgraded, but don't the Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 have the same Qualcomm processor as the Treo Pro? One of the big complaints I've seen about the Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2 is that HTC didn't really upgrade the internal hardware over the original versions.
    The GSM Touch Pro & Diamond have a Qualcomm MSM7201A running at 528 MHz. (The Sprint Touch Pro has a MSM7501A @ 528 MHz, which is the CDMA equivalent.) The GSM Treo Pro has a Qualcomm MSM7201 running at 400MHz. (The Recalled Sprint Treo Pro has a MSM7501A @ 528 MHz.) For all of those chips, the recommended maximum clock frequency is 528 MHz. I don't know why the GSM Treo Pro is running at 400MHz. The GSM Touch Pro 2 and Diamond 2 have a MSM7200A @ 528 MHz.

    Processing power wise, it seems if the Sprint Treo Pro has a final release with a MSM7501A @ 528 MHz the only question would be whether it has enough program memory. And it would likely have to get WM 6.5 via an unauthorized ROM.

    Maybe Palm can provide a future ROM update to help the GSM Treo Pro's processor run at 528 MHz?

    Baffling that HTC didn't pack more into the internals of the Touch Pro 2 and Diamond 2, but what they gave them certainly is an improvement over the currently sold Touch Pro and Diamond.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I don't know why the GSM Treo Pro is running at 400MHz.
    Battery life.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The Touch Pro didn't really need an upgrade. It's already a beast.
    I disagree a bit...at least regarding the AT&T version of the Touch Pro. Even with all the AT&T bloatware uninstalled it was a bit sluggish.

    I'm looking forward to the Touch Pro2 - I hope AT&T picks it up.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I disagree a bit...at least regarding the AT&T version of the Touch Pro. Even with all the AT&T bloatware uninstalled it was a bit sluggish.

    I'm looking forward to the Touch Pro2 - I hope AT&T picks it up.
    Given you're with AT&T, you could just get the unlocked GSM version of whatever you want and never have to deal with AT&T messing the device up.

    With the Treo Pro being picked up by more carriers, like the latest deal with Bell Canada, perhaps with time the Treo Pro will have things like customized ROMs coming.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Given you're with AT&T, you could just get the unlocked GSM version of whatever you want and never have to deal with AT&T messing the device up.

    With the Treo Pro being picked up by more carriers, like the latest deal with Bell Canada, perhaps with time the Treo Pro will have things like customized ROMs coming.
    Show me where to get an unlocked/unbranded GSM version of the Touch Pro with US 3G support. As far as I know you can't...and I've looked.

    That's the main problem with HTC devices (besides the lack of video drivers). Without carrier support, most devices never make it to the US with right GSM/3G bands.
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions