Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    I am pretty happy with 6.1. I fear 6.5 will be like Vista. To me, Vista is sluggish.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

WM6.5 reportedly runs very quickly on the Treo 750, as they ported it over at XDA.

Palm does not have a great record on updates, imo.

The 700wx had 1 ROM update on Sprint that were minor fixes 9 months in--no OS/aku update was given.

The 750 got wm6 but was publicly stated to get 6.1 (indirectly) by Palm and MS--never happened and wm6 was repeatedly delayed.

Sure the 700wx got wm6 on Verizon, but that's because they skipped on a hardware update (800w/Tro Pro)--its a runner up prize and was more teling of Palm's failure with Verizon than a boast.

Remember the Treo 500v? Yeah, I barely do and it never received a ROM/OS update either.

And everyone knows that the 800w seems to have been completely passed over for a rom fix. Sure it came with Wm6.1 but it was also delayed by 6-8 months to do that.

Not a great track record at all. Not sure what PIC was thinking. This will all come down to one thing: sales. If the GSM version is selling well enough to garner and update, it will be. Likewise, if sales on Sprint are very good, the device proves itself to popular and have a large business following then it too could be a candidate. But, seeing as MS was pretty clear that many current devices will not get the update and evidently Treo Pro sales (both GSM and CDMA) look tepid, there does not seem to much financial incentive so far.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 04/02/2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    WM6.5 reportedly runs very quickly on the Treo 750, as they ported it over at XDA.....
    Thanks for that info!

All we need is the Hard-SPL...

Apparently the thread is as good as dead over at xda
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just read this here:

Windows Mobile 6.5 to officially "launch" on May 11

Who can we count on to get it on the Pro? Hackers or Palm?

Will we ever get this new OS on the Pro?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    I am real happy with 6.1 and really have no desire to upgrade to 6.5 at this time. If people do upgrade and find it real amazing then I will, but at this point 6.1 is really good for me.

Well, the only reason I would want to go to 6.5 would be for issues like battery life and stability. I ran a 'supposedly' final version of 6.5 on my Touch Diamond, and I can tell you that helps neither. A big change is their launcher app, which IMO just sucks lol. I thinkt hat SPB 2.0 (and and now 3.0) blows it out of the water. I'm not saying that it's worse than 6.1...it has some neat little features, but it definatley isn't mind-blowing lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    I am real happy with 6.1 and really have no desire to upgrade to 6.5 at this time. If people do upgrade and find it real amazing then I will, but at this point 6.1 is really good for me.
    x2. I would only switch to 6.5 if most of the annoying bugs were taken out of the OS. Knowing Microsoft, there will simply be more. If PALM releases an update however, I may give it a shot... although I am not holding my breath on that one.
    x3 I just don't usually get real excited about dot releases.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I hope they fix things like the Alarm. It is so weak.

Like alert in other email folders beside the Inbox.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I hope they fix things like the Alarm. It is so weak.

Like alert in other email folders beside the Inbox.
    Chong, do you know if the Sprint Treo Pro will be upgraded to 6.5?

Officially, none of the Treo line will be upgradable to 6.5.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    You ask me? I aint no expert.

I am just a small fish usually eaten by the big fish.

If the Pro is not going to be updated to 6.5, then I think we might need to get another new Palm PDA(maybe I go HTC ..oops) in about 8 months. Geeeze .. always a moving target.
    Last edited by chong67; 04/18/2009 at 06:58 PM.
    I'm ok with 6.1
    Chester Vargas - Palm VII, Handspring Visor, T2, T3, TX, Treo 650, 680, 750, Treo Pro ==> iPhone 3GS 32GB ==> Pre Plus at&t ==> Pixi Plus at&t ==> Pre Plus at&t
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Officially, none of the Treo line will be upgradable to 6.5.
    Is that from Palm?
    Quote Originally Posted by msglsmo View Post
    Is that from Palm?
    I believe Microsoft has said before that No current WM devices can support WM 6.5, at least officially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    I believe Microsoft has said before that No current WM devices can support WM 6.5, at least officially.
    I think MSFT has backtracked on that a bit, saying it's up to the device makers and carriers to issue official 6.5 updates if they want to. The original statement was that the HTC Touch Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 would be released with 6.1 then get the upgrade to 6.5 as they were the flagship devices for the 6.5 launch, and no other legacy devices would get the 6.5 upgrade.

I don't believe there are any technical/hardware limitations to running 6.5 on the Treo Pro, it comes down to Palm releasing a 6.5 update (which is probably unlikely) or a 6.5 custom ROM being made available from XDA, which is also unlikely absent a Hard-SPL for the Treo Pro.
    GSM Treo Pro <-Moto Q9h <- Moto KRZR K1 <- Moto RAZR <- Moto V620 <- Moto V505
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    Booo to Palm.

What that means is that there will be another new WM phone from Palm.
    Booo to Palm.

Exactly. Palm seems to have always had the sort of philosophy. Why release a somewhat easy update to satisfy our customers, when we can have them buy a whole new device, than a whole new device to fix the problems with that new device etc. etc.

Love Palm products to death, really do, but have never been a fan of the corporate decisions.
    Booo to Palm.

If the Treo Pro sells well and it makes financial sense for Palm (and Sprint if we're talking about the Sprint version) to roll it out, they'll do it.

If it only sells mediocre and doesn't have a strong following, then no, no pressure to do so.

It costs $$ to license a .dot upgrade and $$ to adapt and test it for a specific phone, neither of which the end-user is ever charged for. There has to be incentive to do so for those involved

Bottom line: never buy a device expecting an upgrade unless (or until) they say they'll give one. We'll find out over the next few months who is and who is not getting an update.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast