1.    #1  
    This has been bugging for a really long time and I have found no answer and have not figured it out. Anyway, sometimes when I receive a text message there is a little red phone icon that appears next to the name or number. I have attached a screen shot showing what I am talking about.

So far I have been unable to figure out what causes it. What it does is open up options on what to do with the person sending you the number It is not a big deal and I don't mind it, I just want to know what it is. Here is a link to another thread that I have discussed my thoughts of what it is.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated because this is just tormenting my mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if you tap the icon it brings up that contact. then you can call, email, what ever that person. kind of like "call sender" with more options.

I think
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    if you tap the icon it brings up that contact. then you can call, email, what ever that person. kind of like "call sender" with more options.

I think
    I agree with you. That is exactly what happens. Now my question is why? It only happens to some contacts and not all for me. I am curious to why this happens and not what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    I agree with you. That is exactly what happens. Now my question is why? It only happens to some contacts and not all for me. I am curious to why this happens and not what it does.
    nothing to do with your phone/setup, it has to do with theirs

basically, when you setup SMS, on some phones you can specify a "call back" number which may be different from your SMS number. Palm's messaging not only sees that but makes it visual/1-click to call them back

that plus the font, color scheme and picture ID make me really prefer Palm's messaging app over MS's.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    nothing to do with your phone/setup, it has to do with theirs
    I figured that this could be the case but was unsure. I guess that I thought it was not because the icon comes up when my mom text messages me. She has a hard enough time text messaging let alone entering a call back number. When I asked her about it she had no idea what I was even beginning to talk about.

Then again she does not have a smartphone. Do some phones have a call back number setup by default? Or is it something that always has to be entered?
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Do some phones have a call back number setup by default? Or is it something that always has to be entered?
    Same here, I have a friend with a flip phone that does it automatically, so probably it has it by default.

I just know that's what it is for.

7.    #7  
    By the way, Malatesta, thanks for the response. More often than not you always seem to have the right answer.
    lol, np always glad to help

This is a feature called a "callback number", only supported on CDMA's implementation of SMS. You will only see this if you are receiving an SMS from a CDMA network, on a phone set to send the information by default.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Same here, I have a friend with a flip phone that does it automatically, so probably it has it by default.

I just know that's what it is for.
    thank you thats probably the most useful stuff.