Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    MS announced WinMo 6.5 for the end of this year today, and it sounds like it won't be offered as an upgrade to most phones. I wonder if the 800w is technically capable of running it, and if so, if there would be an upgrade for this phone? I would guess not, seeing as Sprint plans to retire it by the time 6.5 is available (if the Pro ever sees the light of day on Sprint that is...).
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I did wish for Microsoft making the 6.5 compatible with existing devices. But its not.
    Check the press statement today.
    My feeling is , few months down the line , there might be a ROM version for upgrading the existing WinMo 6.1 phones.

It all depends on the cost of doing it.
    If all the carriers are willing to negotiate with Microsoft plus bear the cost, it might be possible.

Personally , I feel there is a better way of selling the 6.5.
    Microsoft should use its online store for upgrade the existing handset from 6.1 to 6.5 and charge money.
    I am willing to pay for that if the cost is around say $ 25.00.

Considering that few million WinMo phones were sold in the last two plus years , its good money.
    Sprint has never offored an upgrade such as this that I can recall.

The chances are extremely low.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Personally , I feel there is a better way of selling the 6.5.
    Microsoft should use its online store for upgrade the existing handset from 6.1 to 6.5 and charge money.
    I am willing to pay for that if the cost is around say $ 25.00.

Considering that few million WinMo phones were sold in the last two plus years , its good money.
    Sorry to rain on your parade but the costs would be huge and not just Microsoft's, but Sprints, Verizon and ATT's. the hadnset makers woudl not participate and would void any warranty.

Individually flashing roms would itself be a nightmare of bricked phones. who would warrant that? How many people are going to go through the labor? you would not sell millions of upgrades maybe thousands to people like you and I. the certification and testing on each handset would be a nightmare.

Take the 800w. If microsoft creates, tests, warrants an upgrade on a few hundred sales who will warrant rom flash. Is Microsoft going to pick up the cost of teh voided maker warranties? what is in it for Sprint ad the possible support nightmares?
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Sure, it involves all the concerned parties.
    But recently , I was able to flash HTC TOUCH from windows 6 to win 6.1. with no issues.
    I am sure Microsoft, Sprint and HTC tested the thing and spent some serious money , but I still think the economics of this 6.5 upgrade would make sense for Microsoft.

They can get information of the previous WinMo sets and force to use their newly offered online service.
    Which would create a huge database of accounts for selling other stuff like music , apps .......... etc.

Apple does that way ( not flashing ROM , but capturing "ACCOUNTS" by using iTunes).

All in all, you might be right and I am not hopeful of this.

The best way is to wait till the new devices get released and spend another two three hundred dollars .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    Sprint has never offored an upgrade such as this that I can recall.

The chances are extremely low.
    Sure they have. They upgraded the 700wx from WM5 to WM6.

But I do agree that the chances are extremely low.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    That wasn't Sprint, it was Verizon. The WM6 upgrade for Sprint was a gift from Ebag.
    But Sprint has upgraded the Moto Q9c, Mogul and Touch to WM6.1 from WM6.

WM6.5 is about the same level of upgrade as WM6.0 --> WM6.1

Still, considering the final version won't be on hardware till the end of the year, that's a long time aways. Sprint will have the Touch Pro 2, Diamond 2 (both getting a WM6.5 upgrade) and a few other new WM devices by then.

Think 9 month hardware cycles and that's your upgrade.

no one currently knows the hardware requirements for WM6.5, but I bet the 800w could handle it technically. They build WM around the idea of a 240mhz processor.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/18/2009 at 01:07 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    I've seen a couple videos of 6.5 roms flashed to existing phones. Is there some way we could back up our 800w's system files with qpst. If i could back it up i would flash it for sure.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    But Sprint has upgraded the Moto Q9c, Mogul and Touch to WM6.1 from WM6.

WM6.5 is about the same level of upgrade as WM6.0 --> WM6.1

Still, considering the final version won't be on hardware till the end of the year, that's a long time aways. Sprint will have the Touch Pro 2, Diamond 2 (both getting a WM6.5 upgrade) and a few other new WM devices by then.

Think 9 month hardware cycles and that's your upgrade.

no one currently knows the hardware requirements for WM6.5, but I bet the 800w could handle it technically. They build WM around the idea of a 240mhz processor.
    Malatesta, I am not sure it works on all 6.1 devices. Microsoft wanted a dedicated "Start" button ( physical) on all Win 6.5 devices.

It might be possible on phones with keyboards but not on touch based ones , "HTC Touch" ( which is really old by today's technology).
    I think sprint has abandoned the 800w and will not invest anything else into it.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I think I'll have to agree. That is not cool it's such a nice phone
    Quote Originally Posted by iwalkthrowwalls View Post
    I think sprint has abandoned the 800w and will not invest anything else into it.
    I was doing my regular monthly check for software updates from the sprint site. To my suprise, I could not find it under listing of all PDA phones. Thought that was weird since it listed several other PDA phones which haven't been sold for over a year at any retailer, yet no 800W.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerme78 View Post
    I was doing my regular monthly check for software updates from the sprint site. To my suprise, I could not find it under listing of all PDA phones. Thought that was weird since it listed several other PDA phones which haven't been sold for over a year at any retailer, yet no 800W.
    There is another thread here about it, but Spint pulled the 800w from their web site before the Treo Pro even was up for sale. It has also been pulled from all of Bsst Buy's pages.
    Looks like the 800W will not be getting WM 6.5. According to an engadget article, WM 6.5 needs to have a 400mhz processor. The 800W only has a 333mhz processor. WindowsMarketplace -- Engadget Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by iwalkthrowwalls View Post
    Looks like the 800W will not be getting WM 6.5. According to an engadget article, WM 6.5 needs to have a 400mhz processor. The 800W only has a 333mhz processor. WindowsMarketplace -- Engadget Mobile
    First, it is doubtful any currently released WM device will get WM6.5, not even the Touch Pro and Diamond are slated for that update, so the 800w is a moot point in that regard.

Second, the processor thing is more complicated than just the speed. For instance, the 800w uses a TI processor clocked at 333mhz and the Sprint Treo Pro has a Qualcommm processor clocked at 528mhz, yet they both perform similarly. That is because like the AMD vs Intel thing, not all clock speeds are equal. On top of that, the 800w has a more stripped down and optimized version of WM which allows it to be zippier.

I'm pretty positive WM6.5 could run on the 800w if they wanted it but it's not going to happen for a multitude of reasons. But the idea that an EOLd device will get a major OS update ~8-10 months from now it a bit of a stretch.

The Touch Pro/Diamond probably won't get the upgrade to WM 6.5, because HTC does not want to hurt their potential Touch Pro 2/Diamond 2 sales. If HTC went through the trouble to get WM 6.5 for the Touch Pro/Diamond (version 1), I'd be happy while thinking they were totally insane .

The Touch Pro/Diamond already has WM 6.5 via customized ROMs. Not the "official" route, but it's available.

The Sprint Treo Pro's processor is the same as the Sprint Touch Pro's, which tops the charts in CPU benchmark testing. (The "Palm Treo Pro" results in that link are from the GSM version, which runs at a lower clock speed.)

(Perhaps some people with the authorized Sprint Treo Pro can comment on how snappy they feel it is in comparison with the 800w.)
    Yeah, we all know about the Diamond, Pro and customs roms, but we're discussing the 800w here. Lets stay on topic. This isn't the 800w/Touch Pro forum.

Also of no relevance to this thread is the actual performance of the Sprint Treo Pro compared to the 800w; whether it is faster or slower, it does not impact whether the 800w is getting WM6.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Yeah, we all know about the Diamond, Pro and customs roms, but we're discussing the 800w here. Lets stay on topic. This isn't the 800w/Touch Pro forum.
    I find it interesting how you mention to stay on topic, when you brought other devices into this. You bring them up, then speak of staying on topic once a response is given that may differ with your opinion. It seems everything is fair game until opinions differ. Then the "let's stay on topic" flag is tossed.

You've talked about the Touch Pro and Pro 2, repeatedly in this thread.

But if you're done speaking of them in this thread of discussion, I am too.

Also of no relevance to this thread is the actual performance of the Sprint Treo Pro compared to the 800w; whether it is faster or slower, it does not impact whether the 800w is getting WM6.5.
    Again, you started the talk about processors and performance. But if you're also finished with that, so am I. (Edit: Or rather you continued talk of processors.)

We do know from the referenced article, that the Treo 800w does not meet the specifications required for WM 6.5. So it's relevant discussion. Not everyone knows about customized ROMs, but if any do come for the Treo 800w, if one were made with WM 6.5 the fact the 800w does not meet minimum specs may be an issue.
    Last edited by darnell; 03/31/2009 at 02:22 PM.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    The Touch Pro/Diamond probably won't get the upgrade to WM 6.5, because HTC does not want to hurt their potential Touch Pro 2/Diamond 2 sales. If HTC went through the trouble to get WM 6.5 for the Touch Pro/Diamond (version 1), I'd be happy while thinking they were totally insane .

The Touch Pro/Diamond already has WM 6.5 via customized ROMs. Not the "official" route, but it's available.

The Sprint Treo Pro's processor is the same as the Sprint Touch Pro's, which tops the charts in CPU benchmark testing. (The "Palm Treo Pro" results in that link are from the GSM version, which runs at a lower clock speed.)

(Perhaps some people with the authorized Sprint Treo Pro can comment on how snappy they feel it is in comparison with the 800w.)
    Darnell,
    TP2 , diamond2 have bigger screens than current models , so there is issue on selling these.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast