Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Have you folks tried this yet? I've been using it all morning, works great on my 800w.

http://recite.microsoft.com/Pages/download.aspx
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Never heard of it. Similar to evernote?
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    It was just released at MWC by Microsoft as beta: Microsoft Recite Voice Technology Preview Home
    Phone download: Microsoft Recite Voice Technology Preview Home
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    It's neat. However, I can't imagine a situation where I will say something on a first date and then remember what to say on a second date in order to perform the search without remembering what I said on the first date.
    Agreed, cool stuff but don't know when I would use it.
    When I saw the video about the product, I thought it was pretty cool.

I loaded it up on my Touch Pro and was ready to start playing with it, when the privacy statement came up. I don't know if I hit the "Privacy" link or the page came up on its own, but it seems this application can't be tried without MS doing some tracking.

Collection and Use of Information about Your Device

When you use Recite, information about your device ("standard device information") is sent to Microsoft each time the Recite service is used on your device. Microsoft uses standard device information to provide you with the Recite services, to help improve our products and services, and for statistical analysis. Standard device information typically includes information about your usage habits as well as, a unique ID associated with your installation of Recite, device manufacturer, device name, model and software version.
    Choice/Control:

Because this is a technology preview, CEIP is turned on by default so that we can collect information about how you use Recite in order to improve the commercially released software.
    If you do not want this information to be collected, please uninstall the software.
    Since I was not looking for this software and was just going to try it as a nice to have, I'm in the process of restoring my device to how it was before ever installing Microsoft Recite. I've also uninstalled from my PC the component that installs there. I don't need it and don't need yet more tracking I can't disable.
  7.    #7  
    No joke Microsoft is checking! I'm in Vegas & blew through 2 batteries doing nothing in 4 hours. Had to delete & add my 3rd battery & everything is back to normal. It doesn't even show up on Task Manager either.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    It doesn't even show up on Task Manager either.
    Get a utility like SKTools and you'll be able to see everything that is running.

And on the 800w you've got some option in your task manager to show more processes than the regular view displays. I forget what that option is though. It shows more than the regular task manager view. Poke around in task manager and you'll probably find it without much searching. But utilities like SKTools give the most complete picture of running processes in my opinion.
    After you said ms is tracking the recite, I removed the program & deleted the file now all I have is my 800 to do this: Is this enough to take Big Brother out of my 800 or do you thing it's still in the 800?
    I hope this ques. makes sence since I'm still learning. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cscoot03 View Post
    After you said ms is tracking the recite, I removed the program & deleted the file now all I have is my 800 to do this: Is this enough to take Big Brother out of my 800 or do you thing it's still in the 800?
    I hope this ques. makes sence since I'm still learning. Thanks
    Well WE HOPE it's gone .

But this is (one of several reasons) why I always run a full backup before installing new software, especially betaware and things I don't know much about. And then if I want it off, I hard reset and restore the backup.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Well WE HOPE it's gone .

But this is (one of several reasons) why I always run a full backup before installing new software, especially betaware and things I don't know much about. And then if I want it off, I hard reset and restore the backup.
    Same here, done & gone...
    You guys do know that all WM devices have all sorts of tracking goodies in them (unless you use a custom ROM to delete them), right?

If MS wants to track you, they already can.

Now as far as the battery usage goes, sounds like a major bummer.
    You all seem really paranoid.
    OK ebag333 where's this custom ROM at? It ain't Paranoia it's just learning how to isolate one of my phones. They share & are already programed different from ea. other & I want to figure it out, besides what good is having a recorder to remember things & then you have to remember what it is you have to remember so it will remind you. Oh yeah who's on first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bear853 View Post
    OK ebag333 where's this custom ROM at?
    There's no custom ROM for the 800w. Yet.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I still have Recite on my phone and I don't have a battery problem (well, not a *new* battery problem).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    You guys do know that all WM devices have all sorts of tracking goodies in them (unless you use a custom ROM to delete them), right?
    So on a stock Treo 800w, if MS Live Search is not used, what applications are reporting back to MS? (We all know about when applications crash and the user has the option to not have that reported.)
    So on a stock Treo 800w, if MS Live Search is not used, what applications are reporting back to MS? (We all know about when applications crash and the user has the option to not have that reported.)
    There is a system metric program installed, forget the name off-hand. I have no clue if it's running by default, there's not much visibility there.

People often rip it out in custom ROM's, though it's more for the space savings than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    There is a system metric program installed, forget the name off-hand. I have no clue if it's running by default, there's not much visibility there.
    So than nothing we know of is sending anything back to MS.
    So than nothing we know of is sending anything back to MS.
    And nothing that we know of isn't sending anything back to MS.

It could be doing either. We really have no way of knowing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast