Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I am going to toss in my 2 cents here... I ordered one from Sprint (1.04) at launch and the GF loved it, so I purchased one from EBay for her (1.03)... When I activated hers (via the web) it wouldn't do the OTA activation so I had to call in to manually program it, and had zero issues getting it set up... I have played with both side by side and the ONLY difference I have found is that when hers connects to the net (through IE or Iris) it opens a bubble that says "connecting phone as a modem" where as mine says "connecting to vision services (or something very similar)"... Well she went to turn hers on yesterday morning and realized that she had 2 dead pixels (that I swear were not there the day before) so i went to the local repair center (agent) and they "advance exchanged" (over-nighted her a new one) that she picked up today (1.04)... So everything worked out for her...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Gr. My Treo just arrived from Ebay. I purchased it from one of the top 4 Treo Pro sellers on Ebay. This was the only one of the four that replied to my message, and ensured me this was a newer version 1.04 phone, NOT the recalled 1.03.

Well, just got my Treo Pro.
    Software version 1.03SPT
    Firmware 1.03SPT

I was afraid this would happen. So much for that two day priority shipping to replace my broken phone. Assuming the seller cooperates, this is going to be a 2 week ordeal

I only purchased from Ebay because I wasn't paying $600+ for a phone.. I had a feeling this was going to bite me in the arse.

Which seller was this? I'm looking to buy a treo pro on ebay and would like to avoid the "bad" sellers as much as possible. Thanks.
    Honestly, my advice would be to just not buy a treo pro on ebay. Try Craigslist, and only buy it after you check for yourself in person.

On the upside, if you do end up with a 1.03, it isn't drastically different from 1.04.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildrage View Post
    Honestly, my advice would be to just not buy a treo pro on ebay. Try Craigslist, and only buy it after you check for yourself in person.

On the upside, if you do end up with a 1.03, it isn't drastically different from 1.04.
    It doesn't matter until you need warranty service on it....

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Oh man, coming across these forums and this thread about 24 hours ago would have been nice. Just ordered my Pro off of ebay, so we'll see what I end up getting next week. I'll post the sellers name here if it miraculously ends up being 1.04.
    Well I bought my treo pro on march 26th, just came across this forum and have now discovered I have version 1.03. Not really sure what to do. I've sent the ebay member a message and will see what happens. Although I have not experienced any problems *knocks on wood*
  7.    #87  
    Welcome nicole

ivhs72 suggested in another thread to register your device online.
    theory is; they will more likely have to honor warranty if they allowed you to register device.
    Just call me Berd.
    Received my Ebay purchased STP yesterday. Ordered from vantagecommunications, paid a little more than I would have for an open auction, but received 1.04 and so far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Welcome nicole

theory is; they will more likely have to honor warranty if they allowed you to register device.
    I also received my Sprint bill today, and on page two of the bill, there is a section called Sprint News and Notices. In there, they announce that from May 1st thru May 31st, they are accepting open enrollment to the TEP plan, or Total Equipment Protection plan. You can sign up online at Sprint.com/protection or call 800-584-3666. I'm not advocating one way or the other on insurance (Lord, there was one heck of a thread on that already), but this might be a way for those that have the 1.03 phones to gain some sort of support. The plan costs $7/month, but it might be worth it for a few months till this whole 1.03 thing works itself out. There is no mention in this notice about having to do it within 30 days of a phone activation either, I guess since it's an open enrollment that may not matter, but a call to them is still the best. Just a suggestion.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Welcome nicole

FYI you can register with a made up number so I am not sure how ironclad that is.

As I mentioned for years you have been able to get tep on ebay purchase phones, and you can always add tep if it is a 1.03 and exchange it immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    FYI you can register with a made up number so I am not sure how ironclad that is.

As I mentioned for years you have been able to get tep on ebay purchase phones, and you can always add tep if it is a 1.03 and exchange it immediately.
    Has anyone bought a 1.03 phone, added TEP and immediately exchange their phone?
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I've read on Sprintuser forum of someone doing that. Not sure if they just added TEP or if they had it before but they did swap out their 1.03 for a 1.04 through TEP
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    I've read on Sprintuser forum of someone doing that. Not sure if they just added TEP or if they had it before but they did swap out their 1.03 for a 1.04 through TEP
    I recommended TEP to people who found they had a 1.03 phone but that was before the recent change in policy where you no longer need tep for a waranty exchange.

At the very least people may wish to try a simple sweet talking of a tech at a Sprint repair shop.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    It doesn't matter until you need warranty service on it....

After reading here and at sprintusers I have seen NOBODY refused service, sprint has replaced the 1.03 without an issue.

And please dont bring up Palm will not warrant them as already posted ALL service has to go through sprint.
    I went through assurion, paid my $50 deductible and got a brand new fresh 1.04... yes you can add TEP to pretty much any phone, especially any newer phone. But fyi i can tell NO difference between 1.03 and 1.04, EXCEPT with 1.03 my phone would freeze when putting in contacts and my sms would freeze occasionally, pretty annoying but it could have just been a bad phone period...who knows
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    And please dont bring up Palm will not warrant them as already posted ALL service has to go through sprint.
    100% False. If you have a 1.04 model bought from Sprint You have a full warranty from Palm and can send an authorized Sprint Palm Treo Pro to Palm for free warranty repair for one year.

It does not "have" to go through Sprint at all.

If you were to take the phone off of sprint service and decide to use it as an wifi internet and email device with GPS, camera etc Sprint would not do anything for you in the case of a warrantied problem and Palm would be 100% obliged to according to their written warranty card..

Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Thats what I am doing now, as I type. They told me at first to swap it out with the retailer. I told palm the retailer is saying palm has not recalled any phones, and I told the lady I could not find a recall on their website either. I told her now I am stuck with a phone I bought from a store, brand new and sealed in a box, that palm and sprint are telling me is bad, but there is no recall and the store wont take it back.

Now I am on hold.

Edit: After being on hold for about 5-6 minutes, the lady came back on the phone. She said the serial number is flagged in their system as a 0 day warranty. She tried to tell me this meant the phone was a used phone. I told her the box was sealed, and when I turned on the device it installed the operating system/software etc. I than told her I thought Palm had a warranty anyway, so even if this was a "used" device it wouldn't matter. She told me they can't do anything more without a new device and a new serial number. I asked her to email me a copy of the "recall" so I can get a new phone, and she told me the best she could do was give me a customer support claim number that I can give to the retailer, so the retailer cannot deny the problem and swap it out with a new device.

No wonder Palm is going out of business. They sell phones to whoever, have a problem, and won't do anything about the ones that got sold before they asked for them back. By the way, she did say these phones are flagged by SERIAL NUMBER in their system, so even if you had to claim warranty at sprint or w/e, you won't be able to get it repaired/new one etc. since the serial number is printed on the back.
    Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    I thought I would add my quick note into this. I was also one of the ones that bought a 1.03 phone from ebay. I went to the store and they said that it wouldn't really be supported and they couldn't do anything with it as they don't have a upgrade for it. They don't have the standard ROM either so that was a bust. They said I should call Palm and see what they say. When I called Palm and gave them the serial number from my phone, they had it flagged for no technical support. They said that for me to get Tech support I have to fax them a proof of purchase so they could try to track down the seller of the phones for this problem. So that right there tells you something is wrong with this whole thing.
  17.    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    After reading here and at sprintusers I have seen NOBODY refused service, sprint has replaced the 1.03 without an issue.

This is all we've got to go by at this point:
    (From: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...y-flagged.html)

Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Thats what I am doing now, as I type. They told me at first to swap it out with the retailer. I told palm the retailer is saying palm has not recalled any phones, and I told the lady I could not find a recall on their website either. I told her now I am stuck with a phone I bought from a store, brand new and sealed in a box, that palm and sprint are telling me is bad, but there is no recall and the store wont take it back.

Now I am on hold.

Edit: After being on hold for about 5-6 minutes, the lady came back on the phone. She said the serial number is flagged in their system as a 0 day warranty. She tried to tell me this meant the phone was a used phone. I told her the box was sealed, and when I turned on the device it installed the operating system/software etc. I than told her I thought Palm had a warranty anyway, so even if this was a "used" device it wouldn't matter. She told me they can't do anything more without a new device and a new serial number. I asked her to email me a copy of the "recall" so I can get a new phone, and she told me the best she could do was give me a customer support claim number that I can give to the retailer, so the retailer cannot deny the problem and swap it out with a new device.

No wonder Palm is going out of business. They sell phones to whoever, have a problem, and won't do anything about the ones that got sold before they asked for them back. By the way, she did say these phones are flagged by SERIAL NUMBER in their system, so even if you had to claim warranty at sprint or w/e, you won't be able to get it repaired/new one etc. since the serial number is printed on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    I thought I would add my quick note into this. I was also one of the ones that bought a 1.03 phone from ebay. I went to the store and they said that it wouldn't really be supported and they couldn't do anything with it as they don't have a upgrade for it. They don't have the standard ROM either so that was a bust. They said I should call Palm and see what they say. When I called Palm and gave them the serial number from my phone, they had it flagged for no technical support. They said that for me to get Tech support I have to fax them a proof of purchase so they could try to track down the seller of the phones for this problem. So that right there tells you something is wrong with this whole thing.
    Hopefully Palm/Sprint is finally doing something about it:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...03-phones.html
    Just call me Berd.
  18.    #98  
    Why did Palm/Sprint decide to make the 1.04Rom available for Flash? It might have something to do with all this Attention we here at TC have been giving this.
    How do we not know that the reports that the 1.04 has been made available for flash isn't because all the flack they're getting on this.
    If people weren't aware of 1.03 they never would of called palm/sprint inquiring. It may be that Palm/Sprint decided to make the 1.04 flash available because they were being flooded with phone calls.
    Just call me Berd.
    I just went to my local Sprint repair facility and they flashed my phone to 1.04 easily. It required a complete hard reset (all data gone, but of course I sync with Google so everything just comes back).

Everything seems to be up to date now. I hope I don't have any warranty issues, but for some reason I doubt I will. Just in case, I went next door to the retail Sprint store and signed up for TEP.

Did Sprint just begin offering the 1.04 flash? It must be new, otherwise this thread wouldn't be so long...
    i dont deal with Best Buy Mobile locations that deal with Sprint very often, but I did see plenty of communication to pull the Sprint Treo Pro if/when the store received them and mandatory sendbacks were loaded to each Sprint carrying store.

No store should have any issue doing a exchange, even after the 30 day policy if they got a bad Treo
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast