Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Thanks for your reply, Mal. Well, I feel better knowing it's just the ROM that's different. I bought it off ebay and am just not willing to go through the hassle of trying to work something out with the seller. Perhaps at some point a Sprint store will be able to flash it...maybe before I put it up for sale when the Pre is released.

The 1X problem is discouraging though. Any options or potential fixes? I don't have the latest PRL I've noticed and just get an error when I try to update.
    Here's a Thread that discusses that.
    Maybe Mal can answer you over there.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-treo-pro.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by TweeterMan View Post
    Ok, thanks to my Spritn rep who comes by our Radioshack, I now know the difference between the two. I was especially curious because I have a recalled one from eBay, and of course was not aware until after I received it.

Battery life.

If you've played with or used the Treo 800w, you're probably familiar with the not-so-great battery life. Yeah, well the recalled Pro is worse. The memory is always at like, 60% used. So who knows, it must have some mystery processes going on in the background. I'm not gonna bother paying the $50 deductible to replace it, since I'm upgrading my contract when the Pre comes out.
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you and him. I have both and one is not better/worse than the other. I upgraded from the 800w and the v1.03-STP simply blows away the 800w. I use it on a daily basis as a WiFi router for 2 hours, e-mail, web and do't even come close to draining it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TweeterMan View Post
    Well, from eBay (of course) it looks like I got the recalled Pro. What I AM noticing is that I can't hook it up to my computer (32 bit Vista laptop) to do the first time setup. It mounts itself as a CD drive correctly, but I can't run the setup because it appears to be repeatedly disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting, connecting, disconnecting....
    Get the online user guide for the Sprint model off of the Palm website. In there you will find step by step setup instructions. The big thing in the initial setup is to have the phone set to Setup PC in the Start>Settings>System>PC Setup area for the initial connection. That is what tells the Windows Mobile Device Manager what files to load and all that. After that it changes to Syncronization. I already had WMDM installed so I didn't have to do that. The manual also has an excellent troubleshooting section.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderfan247365 View Post
    i did contact the seller but it was purchased on ebay, i really dont run THAT many programs on my phone but gosh i dont want to worry about all kind of bugs. i was just wondering if the ROM which was put on the final release was available to simply load onto an unauthorized phone, if i take it to best buy will they update it? sorry i am just trying to learn all i can
    You can't download the 1.04 version to update yours because the release you have is not an official one, and is not supported by Sprint. Why should Sprint post the first release version to be uploaded? It wasn't their messup that allowed those phones to be sold. I would be going back to your seller to get it corrected, since you really don't have any kind of warranty with Sprint at this point. You have two other options as well. One, you could contact Sprint directly, explain the situation, and maybe they will swap it for you. Two, you can wait for the first update release from Sprint, if and when they decide to release one.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."

The 1X problem is discouraging though. Any options or potential fixes? I don't have the latest PRL I've noticed and just get an error when I try to update.
    I've updated my PRL three times with great success. Maybe that was one of the tweaks they did with the 1.04 version.

Also a question you might want to investigate is the status of your warranty with Sprint? Since you don't have an official release, would they honor any warranty work that would need to be done on it? Better to find out up front than when you really need to have it fixed.

Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I've updated my PRL three times with great success. Maybe that was one of the tweaks they did with the 1.04 version.

Also a question you might want to investigate is the status of your warranty with Sprint? Since you don't have an official release, would they honor any warranty work that would need to be done on it? Better to find out up front than when you really need to have it fixed.

Well I'm assuming I have no warranty with Sprint since I got it on ebay? I thought I read somewhere that their insurance covers phones purchased from anywhere. Is that true?

It's working great. Runs circles around my 800w. It's easily the smoothest running WM device I've ever had. I don't really plan on keeping it long anyway. Just waiting on the Pre. I would like to get a solid resale on it though when the time comes.
    I thought I would add my quick note into this. I was also one of the ones that bought a 1.03 phone from ebay. I went to the store and they said that it wouldn't really be supported and they couldn't do anything with it as they don't have a upgrade for it. They don't have the standard ROM either so that was a bust. They said I should call Palm and see what they say. When I called Palm and gave them the serial number from my phone, they had it flagged for no technical support. They said that for me to get Tech support I have to fax them a proof of purchase so they could try to track down the seller of the phones for this problem. So that right there tells you something is wrong with this whole thing.
  8.    #48  
    Sorry to hear that.
    It's sad they're giving the grief to the victim.
    Best Buy pulled this crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Sorry to hear that.
    It's sad they're giving the grief to the victim.
    Best Buy pulled this crap.

You know what's worse, I am a Sprint employee and can't get Sprint to do anything about it
    Quote Originally Posted by SprintDaddy View Post
    You know what's worse, I am a Sprint employee and can't get Sprint to do anything about it
    I would ask to escalate to ADS (advanced device support).

Everyone who bought from bestbuy has recourse even if it has been three months, it was a misrepresented sale.

What does ebay seller have to say? I would as ask for a refund and if not downgrade the seller since they knew it was the recalled model.
    Well I'm assuming I have no warranty with Sprint since I got it on ebay? I thought I read somewhere that their insurance covers phones purchased from anywhere. Is that true?

It's working great. Runs circles around my 800w. It's easily the smoothest running WM device I've ever had. I don't really plan on keeping it long anyway. Just waiting on the Pre. I would like to get a solid resale on it though when the time comes.
    I have added insurance to phones that I've purchased from other than Sprint. You have to add it when you activate the phone. I did my transactions at the store and they just added it to my account. I guess if they see that the phone is working at that time, they don't care where it was purchased from. As for a factory warranty, it would have a one year Palm warranty, but then if it's a non-supported Sprint phone, they may not honor that warranty as well. Try registering on the Palm website and see if it works.

Last edited by ivhs72; 04/02/2009 at 03:51 PM.

I thought I would add my quick note into this. I was also one of the ones that bought a 1.03 phone from ebay. I went to the store and they said that it wouldn't really be supported and they couldn't do anything with it as they don't have a upgrade for it. They don't have the standard ROM either so that was a bust. They said I should call Palm and see what they say. When I called Palm and gave them the serial number from my phone, they had it flagged for no technical support. They said that for me to get Tech support I have to fax them a proof of purchase so they could try to track down the seller of the phones for this problem. So that right there tells you something is wrong with this whole thing.
    If you can get a copy of the auction item number, and print out the page that would suffice. I would think that a copy of how you paid for it, either via PayPal or credit card would also suffice. I don't see how Sprint can hold the consumer liable for a product that they (Sprint) let get out too early (unless this one fell off the back of the truck as it was being unloaded, if you catch my drift).

Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

What does ebay seller have to say? I would as ask for a refund and if not downgrade the seller since they knew it was the recalled model.
    If Sprint is refusing to warranty your item for whatever reason, and your eBay seller isn't cooperating, you can address the issue to eBay directly. Report the seller as selling items that possibly stolen, or a pre-release version, or whatever Sprint wants to call that particular version of the phone. Once eBay catches wind that one of their sellers is possibly doing something questionable or illegal, they will take a serious look at it, and possibly shut him down. There was a woman where I live that was taking coats from the school lost and found she worked at, and selling them on eBay. One of the parents whose son lost a coat went shoppping on eBay for a coat locally, saw one that looked like her son's, and reported it to them. They shut the auction down, pulled her account, and she wound up going to court and getting convicted. But eBay is very proactive they think someone is selling stolen or questionable items.

Also if you paid via PayPal, you're protected as well, if you file a dispute within 45 days of the auction close.

14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    There was a woman where I live that was taking coats from the school lost and found she worked at, and selling them on eBay. One of the parents whose son lost a coat went shoppping on eBay for a coat locally, saw one that looked like her son's, and reported it to them. They shut the auction down, pulled her account, and she wound up going to court and getting convicted.
    Oh Yes, we are neighbors.
    I remember that on the news.
    Just call me Berd.
    What is the chance that a future firmware upgrade will work in your phone? If they release a new version, say 1.05 or whatever they will call it, will the fact that your phone's serial number has been tagged for no service prevent the update/upgrade from being installed or working?

Another point, Sprint allowed that phone to be activated on their network. If that was an unsupported device, why weren't you told that when it was activated. It seems that Sprint has to take some responsibility in this matter. If they had refused to activate it, that would have given you recourse to go back to your seller and resolve it at once.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Oh Yes, we are neighbors.
    I remember that on the news.
    Even smaller world. She lives across the street from our shops tech assistant in Hillsboro. REALLY small world. But it just goes to show what lengths eBay will go to.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    For 1.03 users out there, you do not have to return your Pro to palm or your retailer. There is an update for the Pro from 1.03 to 1.04. I had a copy of the update but i'm having trouble locating it. Once i find it, i'll be sure to post it.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilboi View Post
    For 1.03 users out there, you do not have to return your Pro to palm or your retailer. There is an update for the Pro from 1.03 to 1.04. I had a copy of the update but i'm having trouble locating it. Once i find it, i'll be sure to post it.
    please share the link..
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I won an auction for a TP on eBay, so tonight I emailed the seller and asked him to confirm that it wouldn't be version 1.03. He replied and advised me that the phone was version 1.03, but that I could refuse delivery and once he got it back, he'd send out version 1.04. I am not overly concerned about the $ as I paid via paypal via AmEx, so I should not have any trouble getting my $ if thing happen not to work. I'm terribly bummed that it's going to take so long to get the phone. That said, hopefully, I will have version 1.04 soon....
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I'm one of those ebayers that ended up with the 1.03 version software on an "unauthorized" Treo Pro too. I purchased mine from "thewirelessdream" on ebay and emailed him/her tonight to see what they will do about it.

I also spent some time with Palm customer support. Here is the dialog from that chat session:

[6:12 AM] Connecting...
    [6:12 AM] control.app12.logmeinrescue.com (64.94.18.145), port: 443
    [6:12 AM] Key exchange: RSA, 2048 bits
    [6:12 AM] Data encryption: AES256-SHA, 256 bits
    [6:12 AM]
    [6:12 AM] *** Connected
    [6:12 AM] Handoff connection active (1/6094).
    [6:12 AM] Malin says: Hello.
    [6:12 AM] Mark says: hi
    [6:12 AM] Mark says: did you see my question?
    [6:12 AM] Malin says: I understand that you wish to upgrade your Treo Pro Sprint to 1.04 version.
    [6:13 AM] Mark says: is that possible? i just discovered that the handset i purchased was the "recalled" version with 1.03
    [6:13 AM] Mark says: or do i need to try to exchange it?
    [6:13 AM] Malin says: I will provide you with the required information.
    [6:14 AM] Malin says: Currently there are no software upgrades available for Treo Pro Sprint provided by Sprint. You can Exchange the device with a new one from Sprint directly. According to the Palm policy you can exchange the device with in 15days from the date of purchase if you have any issues with the device.
    [6:14 AM] Malin says:
    I am sorry for the inconvenience but I am providing the correct information. My intention is to provide you with the better assistance.
    [6:15 AM] Mark says: i appreciate your help. do you know what the difference is between the 1.03 and 1.04 software versions?
    [6:16 AM] Malin says: I am sorry, we donot have much knowledge on the software version of Treo Pro as it released recently. To get the correct information on the improved version of software i.e, 1.04 you need to contact Sprint. Palm will send the device to Sprint and Sprint will integrate the software versions on the devices and sell them to there customers.
    [6:17 AM] Mark says: ok... one last question: can you email me this conversation so i can show it to the vendor?
    [6:17 AM] Malin says: Sure.
    [6:17 AM] Malin says: Let me know your email ID please.
    [6:18 AM] Mark says:
    [6:18 AM] Mark says: thanks again for your help
    [6:18 AM] Malin says: Please be on hold.
    Last edited by the_mig; 04/06/2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Correction
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast