Reported Issues by TC Members:

Specs before Recall:
    Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Edition
    CE OS 5.2.20765 (Build 20765.1.4.4)
    Processor: Qualcomm MSM7501A-528MHz

Software Version: T850EWW-1.03-SPT
    Firmware Version: 1.11.30F
    PRL: 60650
    I dont get it. i have a treo pro with these specs, why cant i just update the software?
  2.    #22  
    update it with what?
    You need to contact the seller like I said in this thread.

It may not give you any trouble.
    Myself, I wouldn't want to give it a chance. There's some reason palm didn't want it released.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    update it with what?
    You need to contact the seller like I said in this thread.

It may not give you any trouble.
    Myself, I wouldn't want to give it a chance. There's some reason palm didn't want it released.
    i did contact the seller but it was purchased on ebay, i really dont run THAT many programs on my phone but gosh i dont want to worry about all kind of bugs. i was just wondering if the ROM which was put on the final release was available to simply load onto an unauthorized phone, if i take it to best buy will they update it? sorry i am just trying to learn all i can
    Yeah, I'm thinking about buying one on ebay but sent the seller a question asking them to confirm that this was the authorized pro and not the recalled version. I'll hold out until he responds.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrote View Post
    I also what looks to be a BB Special from eBay. I should have known when the user selling had a slew of hem and is blowing them out in the $289 range. It seems to be working fine though.
    what was the ebay seller's name? i just bought one! eek....
    FYI.....
    I have used bot the v1.03-STP as well as the v1.04-STP and have seen no difference what so ever.

One thing I am noticing ON BOTH is that once memory is allocated it does not seem to be given back without a soft reset.

Once again this is on BOTH versions. If I use either device the full day and open a boat load of apps the memory usage will stay arount 65-70%. Even after closing that apps the memory still stays. After a soft reset, goes down to around 44%

Very interesting
    Ok, thanks to my Spritn rep who comes by our Radioshack, I now know the difference between the two. I was especially curious because I have a recalled one from eBay, and of course was not aware until after I received it.

Battery life.

If you've played with or used the Treo 800w, you're probably familiar with the not-so-great battery life. Yeah, well the recalled Pro is worse. The memory is always at like, 60% used. So who knows, it must have some mystery processes going on in the background. I'm not gonna bother paying the $50 deductible to replace it, since I'm upgrading my contract when the Pre comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TweeterMan View Post
    Ok, thanks to my Spritn rep who comes by our Radioshack, I now know the difference between the two. I was especially curious because I have a recalled one from eBay, and of course was not aware until after I received it.

Battery life.

If you've played with or used the Treo 800w, you're probably familiar with the not-so-great battery life. Yeah, well the recalled Pro is worse. The memory is always at like, 60% used. So who knows, it must have some mystery processes going on in the background. I'm not gonna bother paying the $50 deductible to replace it, since I'm upgrading my contract when the Pre comes out.

So you have a 1.03-SPNT firmware on yours, and the 1.04-SPNT firmware on the release version has improved battery life. That is the differnce between them?

Just curious, did your Sprint rep have any info on street dates for the Pre?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I also got the 1.03 version on ebay. It seems to be fine. In fact, it's a great upgrade from my 800W IMO. Does anyone know if it can be flashed to 1.04 at a Sprint store? Surely it's not actually a hardware difference between the 2 versions.
    I believe you can get the update for your pro. I had a link to download the file, but it didn't work on the Demo Pro
    our rep has, but I think it was do to some computer error.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    So you have a 1.03-SPNT firmware on yours, and the 1.04-SPNT firmware on the release version has improved battery life. That is the differnce between them?

Just curious, did your Sprint rep have any info on street dates for the Pre?

Right, 1.03 is bad, 1.04 is good.

Lol, I DID ask him about the Pre, but sadly, no info...if I see him in another 2 weeks or so, I'll badger him again about it. =P

And how can I go about updating the 1.03 software?
    I got mine off ebay as well, and i dont know why i never checked, but sure enough i just did, and I have a recalled version. You said you had a link to the update?
    Ok, thanks to my Spritn rep who comes by our Radioshack, I now know the difference between the two.

Battery life.

If you've played with or used the Treo 800w, you're probably familiar with the not-so-great battery life. Yeah, well the recalled Pro is worse. The memory is always at like, 60% used.
    Sorry mate, think you got some wrong info there

I ran the 1.03 version for 30 days and while I personally didn't care for the phone (minor annoyances), battery life was certainly not a problem. Battery life was just peachy on 1.03 and far from being "worse" than the 800w.

The memory (RAM) issue is something else and prevalent on both versions. At this point it certainly looks to be IE6 related, but having only ~40-45mb of RAM is normal on that phone.

The most plausible difference (for me) is a boring one. Forum member Nitf said they simply recompiled the OS, which also freed up about 2 mb of RAM. That seems about right.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Ok, thanks to my Spritn rep who comes by our Radioshack, I now know the difference between the two. I was especially curious because I have a recalled one from eBay, and of course was not aware until after I received it.Battery life..
    I agree with Mal, that Rep doesn't know the units and this is not the case. He is just spinning because he doesn't know.

Right, 1.03 is bad, 1.04 is good.
    Lol, I DID ask him about the Pre, but sadly, no info...if I see him in another 2 weeks or so, I'll badger him again about it. =P
    And how can I go about updating the 1.03 software?
    You return it Best buy which will give you a full refund or a straight exchange for a new unit even if you bought it three months ago

They sold you a non warranted device which they falsely advertised as a sprint approved device. you have no burden of proof -- they sold you a device that was not approved by sprint.

If you bought it from used, the seller still misrepresented it but you have a harder problem. In that case you should have called Palm and Sprint already to ask. One will reflash it for you. you just have to be politely persistent.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor View Post
    Surely it's not actually a hardware difference between the 2 versions.
    Sorry to say it is a ROM difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by makrotonik View Post
    I got mine off ebay as well, and i dont know why i never checked, but sure enough i just did, and I have a recalled version. You said you had a link to the update?
    I don't think there is a link to the 1.04 firmware since that is the "official" first release of the phone. You best bet would be to contact a Sprint store, tell them what you have, and they'll take care of it for you. I don't think they want those phones out there for liabilty reasons. Otherwise you'll have to wait till Sprint releases an update to the "official" version and update to that.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I don't think there is a link to the 1.04 firmware since that is the "official" first release of the phone. You best bet would be to contact a Sprint store, tell them what you have, and they'll take care of it for you. I don't think they want those phones out there for liabilty reasons. Otherwise you'll have to wait till Sprint releases an update to the "official" version and update to that.

Ok, so is it simply a different firmware which can be flashed to the new version or is there perhaps something more permanent wrong with the phone? Mine seems to be working great...although it seems to resort to 1X over EV way more than my 800w did.
    Ok, so is it simply a different firmware which can be flashed to the new version or is there perhaps something more permanent wrong with the phone?
    Right. The question is who can flash it for you? I don't think even Sprint stores have a flashable 1.04 ROM on hand, so they'll need to replace the device for you, which should be no problem.
    Mine seems to be working great...although it seems to resort to 1X over EV way more than my 800w did.
    That seems to be a common occurrence and is unfortunately not related to the 1.03/1.04 distinction.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  19.    #39  
    <<merged>>
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Right. The question is who can flash it for you? I don't think even Sprint stores have a flashable 1.04 ROM on hand, so they'll need to replace the device for you, which should be no problem.

That seems to be a common occurrence and is unfortunately not related to the 1.03/1.04 distinction.
    Thanks for your reply, Mal. Well, I feel better knowing it's just the ROM that's different. I bought it off ebay and am just not willing to go through the hassle of trying to work something out with the seller. Perhaps at some point a Sprint store will be able to flash it...maybe before I put it up for sale when the Pre is released.

The 1X problem is discouraging though. Any options or potential fixes? I don't have the latest PRL I've noticed and just get an error when I try to update.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast