Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, I've got an 800W supposed to arrive today from Sprint to replace my 700wx which is getting old. I've loved my 700wx, and have tweaked the crap out of it. I usually end up soft resetting the 700wx every 3 days or so, and have hard reset it 5 or 6 times since owning it (mainly due to 3rd party software snafus).

I've read about the 20+ bugs & other posts that seem to hint that the 800W is unstable and buggy.

Do you think it's much, or any, worse than the 700wx was/is?

Are you happy with the overall performance/stability of the 800W or should I return it and wait for the Treo Pro?

I know these will be just opinions, and I welcome them, especially if you moved from a 700wx to an 800w.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    There are some who love and some who hate the 800w. I love it most of the time.

I had a 700wx prior and am happy I upgraded to it. The feel of the device, the screen, and WinMo 6.1 are great. Having a bunch more memory and GPS is even better.

I don't like the fact that there is no headset jack for the small times I actually wanted to listen to music/SprintTV on the thing. Also, battery life is not as good as the 700wx in my opinion, though the 800w does charge a battery pretty quick. Finally, the speakerphone and earpiece are very muffled. I wish it had the same quality as the 700wx.

Overall, I'm happy with the 800w and I think you will be too.
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Very Happy. Except for the occasional windows reboots :-).
    Its a ridiculously powerful phone and beats any phone in features (IMHO).
    Here is what I did with it.

I was able to install five different browsers
    Opera Mobile
    Opera Mini
    IRIS
    Skyfire
    Netfront

Then I installed the following

TCPMP Player
    Fring
    mVoice
    Weatherbug

Then I added the following emails

google
    yahoo
    hotmail
    and outlook from work.

I downloaded all of the emails , about thousand from each account including full attachments.

The phone is still snappy.
    Love the way shortcuts works.

You have three ways of calling anyone

by using a shortcut speed dial
    by voice dial
    by navigating to address book.

And best of all , I installed the hack to make PAM ( Phone as a modem) work with my laptop , which makes the phone even more useful.

Show me A phone on the market that does all these things?

Btw , you can save the youtube videos if you want to :-).

The only complaints I have now are
    lack of a good camera ( a good 3 mega pixel would have been fun)
    ,half an inch more screen real estate and occasional issues with the sound quality. You might want to check the forum for messages by Ebag333.

I have an option to replace it with sprint, but I am keeping it.

Don't like the battery replace it with the high capacity one.
    want more memory , buy a bigger SD card.

I wish PALM continue to make these with bigger screen ( half an inch more) and keep the same form factor.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I forgot to mention,
    the keys are by far the best I have seen on a non Blackberry device.
    I have only two complaints with the device:

1) Thickness/Weight -which should not be an issue for you since you are coming from a 700)
    2) Battery Life - This will be an issue for you coming from a 700wx

Other than these 2 things - i love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Show me A phone on the market that does all these things?
    touch pro does all those things
    lack of a good camera ( a good 3 mega pixel would have been fun)
    ,half an inch more screen real estate and occasional issues with the sound quality. .
    touch pro does the latter two out of three which 800w doesn't.
    I moved to an 800w from a 700wx and could never go back. My 700 was the best phone that I had ever used, and the 800 is just a welcome refresh in my opinion. It does everything my 700 did (except slide to unlock - big deal) but offers me better resolution, better colors, a gps, better bluetooth, better keyboard, and a better form factor with no antenna. Oh yeah, and wireless and more ram, and wm6.1

Expect god in a phone and you will be dissapointed. Expect your 700wx with more features and you will be pleasently impressed.

The only thing I dislike is the battery life, but I just tag the charger more often, not a deal killer for what I get in return.

Oh and I have far less lockups and soft resets on my 800 than I had on my 700.

Touch pro is a typical htc -higher clock speed cpu to make up for lack of driver- device. I like the 700/800 approach of making wm run better rather than letting it be a pos while trying to crank up the mhz to try and compensate. That plus the lack of softbuttons and the fingerprint magnet turn me away from the pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    touch pro does all those things

touch pro does the latter two out of three which 800w doesn't.
    Way more smart phones do all that and more. But no need for me to haggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by joseph.fox View Post
    I've read about the 20+ bugs & other posts that seem to hint that the 800W is unstable and buggy.
    The big difference between the 800w and other phones?

The bugs are well documented.

Other phones have their own share of bugs, but you are unlikely to find as clear, extensive, and up to date a list as the 800w's bug list. Instead of being able to go to one location and find the vast majority of bugs, you have to hunt and search, and hope you find them all.

Additionally out of the 14 bugs listed, 4 of them are "rare" meaning you may never see them. (Talk about OCD to even list them. )

Of the 10 remaining listed, every single one of them has a fix or a workaround.

Don't get me wrong, the 800w has it's own fair share of bugs. It's just like any other phone (think about your 700wx and the bluetooth issues that had...*shudders*).

If you view the 800w as an upgrade from the 700wx, than it's a great phone. If you're looking for bleeding edge...well....it's not that. But it is an incredibly solid phone with surprisingly few issues, and the majority of those issues have been resolved to one extent or another.

/me edits

I'm not sure where this "20+ bugs" claim came from originally, but it is incorrect.

Feel free to read the bug list yourself:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-bug-list.html
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    touch pro does all those thingstouch pro does the latter two out of three which 800w doesn't.
    Sure, I agree.
    Can you start typing on the touchpro without sliding the keyboard ?
    The key board in 800w makes the difference. Its quicker to navigate around.
    But Touchpro has a nicer screen.

The commonality between touch pro and 800w comes from the operating system.
    Its a windows thing !!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The big difference between the 800w and other phones?

The bugs are well documented.

Other phones have their own share of bugs, but you are unlikely to find as clear, extensive, and up to date a list as the 800w's bug list. Instead of being able to go to one location and find the vast majority of bugs, you have to hunt and search, and hope you find them all.

Additionally out of the 14 bugs listed, 4 of them are "rare" meaning you may never see them. (Talk about OCD to even list them. )

Of the 10 remaining listed, every single one of them has a fix or a workaround.

Don't get me wrong, the 800w has it's own fair share of bugs. It's just like any other phone (think about your 700wx and the bluetooth issues that had...*shudders*).

If you view the 800w as an upgrade from the 700wx, than it's a great phone. If you're looking for bleeding edge...well....it's not that. But it is an incredibly solid phone with surprisingly few issues, and the majority of those issues have been resolved to one extent or another.

/me edits

I'm not sure where this "20+ bugs" claim came from originally, but it is incorrect.

Thanks for Posting the Link.
    I've been wanting to do some extensive search on this subject.
    One question;
    I have noticed a few posts where some have been concerned that some of these fixes will void warranty.
    I'm not trying to get anyone excited, I just want to make sure things don't get clouded with some of the discussions about these concerns.
    Just call me Berd.
    Regarding bugs, I think the GSM Treo Pro's bugs are well documented.

Some would even dispute what has or has not been documented as 800w bugs. But I'm not here to debate that. Just mention perhaps there are more. (I personally feel there are several more, but that's a past discussion.)

Sure, I agree.
    Can you start typing on the touchpro without sliding the keyboard ?
    The key board in 800w makes the difference. Its quicker to navigate around.
    But Touchpro has a nicer screen.

The commonality between touch pro and 800w comes from the operating system.
    Its a windows thing !!!!!

I type on my Touch Pro without the slider every day. It's how I enter the vast majority of text. And if I pull the slider, I can type even faster than with any of my old Treos or my BB Curve.

The Treo Pro has the front hard keyboard, bugs found in the 800w have been fixed and it works as advertised. The 800w is not at all unique.
    Do you think it's much, or any, worse than the 700wx was/is?
    It's a great update from the 700wx: RevA, Wifi, aGPS, WM6.1--same as Treo Pro
    Are you happy with the overall performance/stability of the 800W or should I return it and wait for the Treo Pro?
    There is no appreciable difference in performance/stability between the two devices (I have both). In fact, I'd say this
    • 800w is consistently fast
    • Treo Pro shifts between sometime laggy and really fast (has to do with dual processors)

Windows Mobile performance/stability is 95% user determined; another 3% is OS related, the other 2% is usual OEM bugs.

What is better determining factor between the 2 devices is
    1. Cost: 800w is very low priced; Treo Pro is expensive
    2. Features: if you really need standalone GPS, a thin device, larger battery, etc.

If really confused, option your 30 day trial period and try both out

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    It's a great update from the 700wx: RevA, Wifi, aGPS, WM6.1--same as Treo Pro

There is no appreciable difference in performance/stability between the two devices (I have both). In fact, I'd say this
    • 800w is consistently fast
    • Treo Pro shifts between sometime laggy and really fast (has to do with dual processors)

Windows Mobile performance/stability is 95% user determined; another 3% is OS related, the other 2% is usual OEM bugs.

What is better determining factor between the 2 devices is
    1. Cost: 800w is very low priced; Treo Pro is expensive
    2. Features: if you really need standalone GPS, a thin device, larger battery, etc.

Are you saying you now have the Official Release of the Sprint Treo Pro?
    Or are you talking about the Un-Authorized Release, the Sprint Treo Pro that was Recalled, or are you talking about the one that's been fixed?
    There's been some confusion conveyed in these Forums.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    this is what i say as well. try both. if the treo pro doesn't come out within the 30 days, just return the 800w, get your account credited back so you can get new customer price when the pro comes out.

the 800w really isn't as bad of a device as the boards make it out to be. you need to remember that there are 3 different type of people here.

1. those who only post when they have a problem... 80% of the posts reflect this.

2. those who have a different device, but still feel the need to come to this forum to bad mouth a device that they dont have anymore.

3. those who love to help others.

this device got a bad rap just because it was a 2007 device released in 2008. if you dont compair it to 2009 devices like the treo pro, it's a good upgrade from the 2006 version of the 700wx. although, i still think the 700wx was one of the best devices ever made. i loved that little sucker.

the only bad thing in your case is.... your buying a device at the end of it's life. there are new things coming around the corner and are so close that you may kick your self later. yes the 800w had a short life but none the less, it's big brother is just around the corner.

now $99 dollars for the 800w is an awesome price. end of life or not.

cody
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    At $99, I would say that the 800w is an excellent upgrade to the 700wx.

Take posts in this forum with a grain of salt, the old saying goes that there's three sides to every story, and that definitely applies here. The only one that can answer whether you'll be happy or not is you, and that will greatly depend on your expectations, usage, 3rd party software, and how much effort/money you are willing to expend to make things right.

I will say that in general, most of the issues reported in this forum (not specific to 3rd party software) have been legit and I've run into them at one point or another.

I'm on my second 800w and it's good enough that it's kept me from jumping ship to something else, but if the Treo Pro releases and it's working properly I'll more than likely switch. Probably not worth the price differential for the incremental improvement, but if it solves even one or two of my issues without adding new ones, I can justify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Thanks for Posting the Link.
    I've been wanting to do some extensive search on this subject.
    One question;
    I have noticed a few posts where some have been concerned that some of these fixes will void warranty.
    I'm not trying to get anyone excited, I just want to make sure things don't get clouded with some of the discussions about these concerns.
    Technically, just about anything you do can void the warranty.

Out of all of the fixes though, if you follow the instructions there is nothing that you can do that can't be reset with a RTN (factory) reset. The only thing that is rather permanent is the speaker housing mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post

the "20+ bugs" come from your misquoting of people (again). the only think incorrect is your misquoting of what was said.

What was noted more than 20 bugs, issues and problems. The problem of the unique proprietary and one time audio output scheme not wokrling with a 3.5 mm jack is not a bug, it is and "issue."

The poor battery life is not a "bug" it is a "problem."

In terms of your claims that the bugs have work around, the many of the workarounds involve voiding warranty. Not to mention they involve illegally using software. And that they can brick your phone.

Ii s incredibly irresponsible to suggest that QPST cant brick your phone or doesn't void warranty..

You yourself have claimed bugs on the Sprint Treo Pro that you would reject on your bug list for the 800w

I dont even want to get into the laughable claim on the 800 bug list that standalone GPS has a workaround
    I have noticed a few posts where some have been concerned that some of these fixes will void warranty..
    Of course they do void warranty. they also involve going to torrents or elsewhere and illegally downloading software that end users are not authorized to use, and whcih can brick the phone.
    Are you saying you now have the Official Release of the Sprint Treo Pro?
    Or are you talking about the Un-Authorized Release, the Sprint Treo Pro that was Recalled, or are you talking about the one that's been fixed?
    There's been some confusion conveyed in these Forums.
    Un-authorized release. But for the points I made, it is not relevant. They are not changing CPU speed and I doubt it will less stable than the current version. If all they are doing is adding RAM, that will have a limited and specific effect.
    Of course they do void warranty. they also involve going to torrents or elsewhere and illegally downloading software that end users are not authorized to use, and whcih can brick the phone.
    True, but according to Palm and HTC, even modifying the system registry voids the warranty. Point is, it should be noted but it is somewhat moot--if the phone is bricked, Sprint will be hard pressed to say it was your fault unless you flat out tell them. Of course that is the reason why we always warn people when doing advanced hacking on their phones, so that they are aware of the possible risks.

We have 200,000 members at ppcgeeks and probably a good half of them are re-flashing their ROMs with unauthorized versions, which certainly voids their warranty.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast