Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Howdy all. I've got a sprint 800W being shipped as we speak to replace my 700WX which is getting tired. I got it for $99 (new contract) + 20 tax - $35 credit = $85.00

I just found out today that Sprint will be releasing a Treo Pro not too long from now (saw where it slipped from 2/15 to TBDTBDTBD $tho$). $My$ $question$ $is$ $if$ $anyone$ $has$ $any$ $idea$ $of$ $what$ $it$ $might$ $cost$ $when$ $it$ $hits$ $the$ $street$?

If its going to cost me $300 after all discounts (like the Touch Pro does right now), then I'll stick with the 800W bugs and all.

If it was going to be priced closer to $200 I might buy it.

Thanks for the opinions.
    You're price will be $250 for the Treo Pro. So ~$150 more than what you paid for the 800w.

Personally, as slick a phone as the Treo Pro seems to be, the pricing alone makes the 800w a steal.
    Hi Joseph,

Either way, you're looking to lock yourself down into a contract. As a former 800w owner, I'd recommend getting the Treo Pro. It will be at least a year before you see a $150 discount again and 22 months before you might see the additional $100 rebate option. $250 in total discounts that you won't see all of again for about 2 years. A 2 year contract will likely cost you thousands over the course of 2 years. Which dwarfs the extra cost of the Pro. In that time, that extra money for the advantages of the Pro will make it well worth having. And if you want to sell it in the future, you're likely going to get more reselling a Pro .
    Darnell is reflecting the concensus. Sprint has made a small increase in the one year discounts but the huge discoutns are after two years. You are locking to as two year contract and for most this means having the handset for two years.

$150 difference over 24 months is $6.25 a month on a smiply everything just 7 to 10% of your monthly expense to be having aPro for those two years. Additionally the resale value of a Pro will be higher throughout that period should you decide to swap out in one year.

'In any case the 20 issues with the 800w and the improvements on the Pro are pretty well documented. some are minor, some have some fixes, some fixes are very difficult some not. So you can read up a bit and decide. Of course the Pro maybe out next week or it maybe 30 days and that is a consideration as well.
    i would keep your discount for the treo pro or the pre. check ebay and craigslist for a 800w to get you buy.

i got one yesterdat of craigslist for $140. mint shape box and all.
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    I will ebay mine for about that much $140 to $150, and they are mint with all accessories and original boxes and spare batteries. I have a NIB 800w I will probably sell for $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i would keep your discount for the treo pro or the pre. check ebay and craigslist for a 800w to get you buy.

i got one yesterdat of craigslist for $140. mint shape box and all.
    You will still lose the discount if you replace your phone with one bought elsewhere whether its used or not. Replacing your handset with an old phone that you prevously owned will also reset the timer.

They even reset my wifes time when they replaced her phone in house when they found it to be defective essentially making her wait two and a half years for an upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by rastoma View Post
    You will still lose the discount if you replace your phone with one bought elsewhere whether its used or not. Replacing your handset with an old phone that you prevously owned will also reset the timer.

They even reset my wifes time when they replaced her phone in house when they found it to be defective essentially making her wait two and a half years for an upgrade.
    The system may reset it, but if you talk to the right rep (or a supervisor) they should be able to see what happened and override it.

I've never had a problem swapping handsets, and whenever I get a new phone there's a whole juggle thing that goes on.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    For me - just the difference in battery life alone made my short trial with the 800 unusable. For whatever reasons, although not great, the Pro is at least usable as far as battery life goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    The system may reset it, but if you talk to the right rep (or a supervisor) they should be able to see what happened and override it.

I've never had a problem swapping handsets, and whenever I get a new phone there's a whole juggle thing that goes on.
    this is absolutely true.

I have had phones die a month or two before discount anniversary and gotten a cheap used one off of ebay while waiting to come up for anniversary and always gotten discounts.
    Why would they still ship you a 800w knowing that Sprint will soon be releasing the CDMA version of the Treo Pro? It just doesn't make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by chestvrg View Post
    Why would they still ship you a 800w knowing that Sprint will soon be releasing the CDMA version of the Treo Pro? It just doesn't make sense.
    Because he bought an 800w?
    Yeah I know that but I tought the 800w already had en EOL (End of Life) effective from Sprint.
    Yeah I know that but I tought the 800w already had en EOL (End of Life) effective from Sprint.
    Just because they have an official EOL doesn't mean that they stop selling them immediately.

The Centro (and indeed, all of Palm OS) has an EOL. Sprint's still selling those.
  15. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Maybe Sprint is trying to get rid of remaining inventory?

Just guessing
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post

Just guessing
    Yeah, Sprint's trying to get rid of their remaining inventory so they brainwashed joseph.fox into buying a 800w with those insidious commercials of his....

Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post

Just guessing
    Sprint is always trying to get rid of inventory, that's the point of their company

Either way, a company declares an EOL when they've basically computed the rate-of-sale vs. current inventory. They then have an estimated "date" when stock is completely depleted, this is called EOL. In this case it is April.

All of this "the Treo Pro is being held up because of too much 800w stock" is not very accurate. Sprint has been planning this releases for about 5-6 months now, so they would have adjusted their supply accordingly. It's being held up for one reason: its broke and their fixing it. The simplest answer is usually the right one.
    I can think of a $150 reasons why it does make sense. Not everyone wants to buy "the latest greatest" thing for the most money, some are okay with yesterday's device for a bargain. Plus, Sprint doesn't care which phone you buy as long as it is tied to a contract ;-)

When Touch's were going for $49 on Sprint back in November, that was a great opportunity for WM/Sprint to gain a new and larger audience. Same here. This is the first time a Palm Treo is going for this little, meaning lots of people who are usually excluded can now get in on it. Blackberry has done the same thing. which is why they've sold more phones than ever yet made less money (selling at near loss on a device)--it's a cut throat market out there and you, the consumer win.

finally for joseph.fox: I have both the 800w and the unofficial Sprint Treo Pro. In short I like both devices a lot and I'm not 100% convinced I'm keeping the Treo Pro--it's nice just not completely awesome. Same with the 800w.

My perfect Treo is taking the Pro's pros and sticking them into an 800w. One can dream!
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/15/2009 at 11:52 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by joseph.fox View Post
    I just found out today that Sprint will be releasing a Treo Pro not too long from now (saw where it slipped from 2/15 to TBDTBDTBD $tho$).
    Chestvrg, you've mistaken Sprint for a company that would care enough to tell a customer that the device they're buying is about to reach its EOL date and a superior replacement is coming within weeks. (I don't use the term "superior" to cause debate, but if Sprint didn't find the Treo Pro to be superior I don't think they'd designate it to replace the 800w.) Sprint's not that type of company, to tell a customer to wait some weeks, when they can hook the customer into a new multi-year contract today.

And look at this other thread. Sprint will sometimes try not to give you your money back via the means you paid once they've got it in their coffers.

The only thing that makes "sense" to Sprint is what makes a sale today, locks a new extended contract today and keeps your money in their pocket for today. I'm surprised they even gave customers a little money for having to cancel their original Treo Pro orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Sprint is always trying to get rid of inventory, that's the point of their company

Either way, a company declares an EOL when they've basically computed the rate-of-sale vs. current inventory. They then have an estimated "date" when stock is completely depleted, this is called EOL. In this case it is April.

All of this "the Treo Pro is being held up because of too much 800w stock" is not very accurate. Sprint has been planning this releases for about 5-6 months now, so they would have adjusted their supply accordingly. It's being held up for one reason: its broke and their fixing it. The simplest answer is usually the right one.

I can think of a $150 reasons why it does make sense. Not everyone wants to buy "the latest greatest" thing for the most money, some are okay with yesterday's device for a bargain. Plus, Sprint doesn't care which phone you buy as long as it is tied to a contract ;-)

When Touch's were going for $49 on Sprint back in November, that was a great opportunity for WM/Sprint to gain a new and larger audience. Same here. This is the first time a Palm Treo is going for this little, meaning lots of people who are usually excluded can now get in on it. Blackberry has done the same thing. which is why they've sold more phones than ever yet made less money (selling at near loss on a device)--it's a cut throat market out there and you, the consumer win.

finally for joseph.fox: I have both the 800w and the unofficial Sprint Treo Pro. In short I like both devices a lot and I'm not 100% convinced I'm keeping the Treo Pro--it's nice just not completely awesome. Same with the 800w.

My perfect Treo is taking the Pro's pros and sticking them into an 800w. One can dream!

OK I have to ask, I have a Treo 680, (replaced on Ebay after orignal unlocked version was stolen). The Cell phoneplan is defunct on March 11. I have been looking at both Sprint and AT&T My company has discounts with both. My decision, which I hope you can help me to make is as follows. Is the 800W worth buying now, or should I wait for the Pro to be released,(Assuming I go with Sprint)? I have been a long time Palm user ( from the Pilot Pro), and Figure I need to get on the Windows Bus. Could you please describe the differences? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    having dealt with inventory and replacements the timing is usually from multiple. Sales rates of the 800w would absolutely be considered as relevant to release date of the Pro and this is actually part of the "simplest answer" for any inventory situation and replacements that cause obsolescence of the prior model.

Palm and Sprint could initially have expected to go with the Pro in November, seen unexpected bad reviews and slow sales on 800w, and slowed to-market schedule of Pro -- including final testing.

I agree with your general points but I think the slow sales of the 800w arguably did affect the schedule of the Pro, and that it does fit Occam's simplest solution.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast