Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is frikkin getting annoying now and i hope is one of the stupid things that explains why they wont release it....iv done a ton of resets today cause messaging button, the touchscreen messaging tab and anything to do with messaging doesnt work just freezes everything else works messaging just doesnt
    I am confused...if they haven't released it, how do you have it?
  3.    #3  
    bought it at best buy on 1/27
    He got one of the ones that wasn't supposed to be released.
    Best Buy had stock that they were supposed to send back for fix.
    They sold some instead. There are a few guys here at TC that got one.
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't understand how glitches like this keep happening at Palm.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I would not look at this issue as anything but what happens when a retailer mistakenly starts selling something before they should have. I don't think this should at all be viewed as how the Sprint Treo Pros will perform upon final release.

This to me is an error more on Best Buy's part than Palm's. Palm tried to call the things back before release and Sprint never told Best Buy to start selling either. Best Buy jumped ahead of schedule and it's making Palm look bad, but it was Best Buy's error that allowed not ready for Prime Time versions into public hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I don't understand how glitches like this keep happening at Palm.
    We just KNOW about them.

Oedipus' sin was not killing his father and sleeping with his mom. We all do it figuratively. His sin was this:

Oed: There is something amiss in the city, there is famine and sickness. Why?
    Oracle: you don't want to know
    Oed: yes I do
    Oracle: Well in someone in your city has done somthign bad. very bad.
    Oed: who is it?
    Oracle: you don't want to know
    Oed: yes I do!
    Oracle: no you don;t
    Oed: tell me or you are out of a job
    Oracle: its you
    Oed: you should not have told me

So what goes for the a) inner dark urges of our psyches, b) the production of law and sausage, and c) the twisted path of smartphones: knowing is often the the problem.

On the other side of the coin 99.9% of the people who will end up buying a sprint pro will never know this happened and won't have the problem the OP has with his unauthorized unit he bought knowing it was incomplete.

Do not read Upton Sinclair's Jungle, do not ask your analyst about that dream with your mom, and do not over evaluate complaints on treo central on escaped betas.

And when that new partner says they like it better with the lights out, just agree.
    Last edited by aero; 02/12/2009 at 09:52 AM.
  8.    #8  
    well put however im willing to put this glitch has NOTHING to do with the units being sent back. I bet it will still occur at release lol there is NO such thing as a perfect phone.

Not enough testing is done in the hands of a real user before release on most phones anyhow.
    my messaging app works fine, no issues, no resets

btw, when bugs are reported for STP, I think it's a bit wishful that "all will be fixed!" when Sprint really, really releases it this time.

You don't come inches from selling a device if the ROM wasn't complete. I'm just trying to not get everyone's hopes up as I don't think we'll notice anything different on the "new" version.

They're not debugging the whole phone in 3-4 weeks.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Nobody else has mentioned having the issue that Hotis300boy is having.

Without even a 2nd person having had the same problem, we can't say it's anything more than a case of one person having one that is defective.
  11.    #11  
    there was one other person on the other thread i started that has the same issue
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    btw, when bugs are reported for STP, I think it's a bit wishful that "all will be fixed!" when Sprint really, really releases it this time. .
    I don't think anyone is saying that.

I think you and I and everyone agree there is one potential problem which others saw, which you nailed down quite well. Can I say the odds that is the reason for the hold? no. Only that seems to be the most rational answer from what we know.

Maybe Sprint and Palm are forced to be on the sidelines while Microsoft and HTC engineers, or worse, lawyers, fight it out. Or maybe all is going smoothly. Or maybe some are saying 10 mb freed is enough and others are saying it needs 20 more or pull out the ie6. Or maybe the reason for the hold is another unidentified problem.

What we do know:
    The GSM model solved the main issues cited by Treocentral users on the 800w.
    Palm/Sprint/HTC decided to pump an additional "upgrade" in the GSM to CDMA Pro conversion.
    The OP is complaining about an issue others with in the wild non authorized Pro betas have not noted, and which could be cause by any other number of things, and which would be excluded from the "bug" list criteria on the 800w .. and which is on an unauthorized beta which he bought with the specific knowledge.

So I agree with your general points, but I really disagree with the OP's complaint on several fronts.
    Last edited by aero; 02/12/2009 at 01:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotis300boy View Post
    there was one other person on the other thread i started that has the same issue
    like this?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1551316

Dude. seriously. You bought the phone knowing you were not supposed to, problems existed and it is serious enough from Sprint to have gone to the point of pulling them back and delaying launch while they fix them.

You have listed about ten things you think are wrong with the device or buggy. Most are not wrong. and one or two are likely to be why it is being fixed before it is releases

Please start titling or prefacing your threads: Unauthorized early release Pro issue.

If you want to discussing keyboard function or hardware function It is one thing. If you don;t like the paint which is likly to remain the same, do say so. I prefer the 800w paint myself. but if it is your perception of a software bug you need to use that preface.

For the present one, please do the right thing and tell use what else you have installed. if you have nothing else installed what happens after a hard reset? I've had to hard reset my 800w for problems several times
    Last edited by aero; 02/12/2009 at 01:19 PM.
    Nobody knows for certain what the final released version will have or not have.

I can say that if I had an issue where I rebooted 15 times to try and resolve it and I've had the device less than 30 days...(I would not be typing here, I'd be at the store getting my money back or a new replacement device, depending on what was available.)

I have to agree with Aero. It was known the devices were being pulled for a fix. There was speculation it was "no big deal", but nobody really knows what is being updated and tested.

It would be good for those talking about Unauthorized early release Treo Pros to speak of them saying "Unauthorized early release Treo Pro".

Anyway, this thread is another example of why you won't catch me buying another device before or even on day 1 of its official release. I'll wait a few months and watch others do the back and forth till the dust is settled whenever I'm considering a new device.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    I would not look at this issue as anything but what happens when a retailer mistakenly starts selling something before they should have. I don't think this should at all be viewed as how the Sprint Treo Pros will perform upon final release.

This to me is an error more on Best Buy's part than Palm's. Palm tried to call the things back before release and Sprint never told Best Buy to start selling either. Best Buy jumped ahead of schedule and it's making Palm look bad, but it was Best Buy's error that allowed not ready for Prime Time versions into public hands.
    I mean, how come the Pro doesn't work right out of the box and had to be called back?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 02/12/2009 at 05:23 PM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I mean, how come the Pro doesn't work right out of the box and had to be called back?
    It was never sold. This has happened BEFORE. Units have gotten to distribution points, a problem has shown up late and the final firmware ROM is reworked before sale to the public.

This thread is HIGHLY misinformation
    Don't you mean it wasn't supposed to be sold?
    None of them were supposed to leave their boxes yet. They were not yet fully authorized for release.

Pre-release call backs happen at times with all device makers.

What matters is what the final released product is and we don't know what that is yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Don't you mean it wasn't supposed to be sold?
    Yes. But the OP knew that. The OP, who has now made several threads on "problems with the sprint Treo Pro" has a BEst buy model that he and every one here knows were pulled back for a fix. We are being treated to endless "problem reports" from this op on the Sprint Treo Pro, when he knows he has the model pulled in for a fix before it is released. Several of these problems are not bugs, but inherent to WM, others are not bugs period, and some maybe related to the return for Rom update. Yet we keep getting these highly misinformative thread starts.

I would say Malatesta, who has a prerelease Sprint Treo Pro has been generally cautious in his appraisals. (although I think the title of his thread "Sprint Treo Pro: RAM, it is too little" is somewhat problematic as I think it really should say "pre release Sprint treo pro:...)

But there are a couple of other people here though that keep talking about memory problems or bugs (and this one isn't even confirmd by Mal or others) that are quite possibly the ones being fixed as we write.
    Just reiterating what others have said:

Best Buy wasn't supposed to sell these until (originally) after 1/25, then around 1/20 it was pushed back to 2/15. Best Buy ignored the intermal memos and sold them anyways, either on purpose (doubtful) or mistake (most likely). You can't blame the devices for being buggy when they were never supposed to be sold. The only people who SHOULD have the Treo Pros are the store advocates, who were told not to even show them to customers.

Side note, I think I have to give mine back, not too sure yet. I'm transferring stores, and my Pro might have to stay with my store. If that happens, I'm going to make a big case for me hopefully getting the Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast