Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I dont understand why the phone does this:
    If I have barely 1 bar of Sprint service (that comes and goes), the phone will kill itself (the battery) trying keep that signal - when if it would just switch over to roaming it would have at least 4 bars?!?

I have it set to "allow roaming". Why wont it grab the stronger of the two? Instead my battery loses 50% in two hours while it tries to keep the Sprint service..

Btw- this is when i am sitting still in a building for 2 hours - not on the move..
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112 View Post
    If I have barely 1 bar of Sprint service (that comes and goes), the phone will kill itself (the battery) trying keep that signal - when if it would just switch over to roaming it would have at least 4 bars?!?

I have it set to "allow roaming". Why wont it grab the stronger of the two? Instead my battery loses 50% in two hours while it tries to keep the Sprint service..

Btw- this is when i am sitting still in a building for 2 hours - not on the move..
    It probably costs them significantly more to handle your roaming calls, so they make you stay on their network.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by samadam View Post
    It probably costs them significantly more to handle your roaming calls, so they make you stay on their network.
    Is there any way to force the device to pick the stronger of the two signals?

I would much rather have 4-5 bars of roaming for that 2 hour period twice a week than 0-1 bars of sprint evdo.
    Start / Settings / Personal tab /
    Phone / Services tab / roaming / roaming networks only
    Scott K
    PalmPilot -> PalmPilotPro ->
    HandspringNeo w/ Sprint PCS Wireless Digital Link ->
    Treo 755p Blue -> Treo 800w

bmwr606@yahoo.com
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwk75s View Post
    Start / Settings / Personal tab /
    Phone / Services tab / roaming / roaming networks only
    Yes, I was aware that you can do this.. However it seems to be pain to have to do this twice a week when I am at this particular location.

So back to main question: is it possible to make the phone automatically choose the stronger of the two signals? I dont want it on 1 bar of EVDO Sprint, when there is 4-5 bars of Roaming..

Any way?
    Not that I'm aware of. This is pretty much the way that all WM phones function.

The reason why this happens on the 800w and not most other WM phone is the 800w has a known bug with PRL (preferred romaing list, somethign that helps deal with this) updates and you probably have an old PRL. Sprint is unable to get PRL updates to the 800w properly and they have been asking for an update from palm to fix this since early October.

Do not believe anyone who says "most WM phones do this" this handset has a PRL problem a known bug..
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    The reason why this happens on the 800w and not most other WM phone is the 800w has a known bug with PRL (preferred romaing list, somethign that helps deal with this) updates and you probably have an old PRL. Sprint is unable to get PRL updates to the 800w properly and they have been asking for an update from palm to fix this since early October.

Do not believe anyone who says "most WM phones do this" this handset has a PRL problem a known bug..
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the PRL.

The PRL won't push you over to roaming if you have a Sprint signal. Period. It's always Sprint network first, and roaming only if forced or no Sprint signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the PRL.
    The PRL won't push you over to roaming if you have a Sprint signal. Period. It's always Sprint network first, and roaming only if forced or no Sprint signal.
    Lol WRONG. Of course it will in the OP case. Read the OP post's next time. He said sprint signal comes and goes.

His problem is likely related to the 800w PRL roaming update bug.

In the OP case The bug can cause quite a number of problem, including poor audio, not getting best data speeds, missing calls, missing texts.

His symptoms are EXACTLY consistent with PRL problems
    In my home, Sprint fluctuates between 0 and 2 bars. I have to use an Airave box to get service. When I switch to roaming, I always have been 4 to max bars. Wish I could auto roam from home instead of having to buy Airave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    In my home, Sprint fluctuates between 0 and 2 bars. I have to use an Airave box to get service. When I switch to roaming, I always have been 4 to max bars. Wish I could auto roam from home instead of having to buy Airave.
    Yup, that's the way that cell service works, for all carriers.

While you're roaming, your phone constantly looks for Sprint signal. If it finds it, it will switch over even if the signal is really crappy.

That's actually an old trick I used to use back when coverage wasn't nearly as good here. Lots of the time I'd just have one bars, and would constantly be switching. By shutting my phone off or locking it to roaming, it'd save a ton of battery life (and my old candybar phone would alert me when switching in/out of service, so saved my sanity ).

Sprint will put you on their network even if it's only one bar, and even if you get better service on roaming. It costs them vastly less money.

I wish there was a program to switch you automatically based on criteria, but I haven't seen anything like that. Would be cool if you could say set it up so that if you were less than 2 bars and roaming was 4, it'd switch (and stay switched) to roaming.

Nothing's more irritating than being on Sprint's network and having a call drop because you switched to roaming...and then as soon as you go to call them back you switch back to Sprint and you know it's going to drop again.
    Lol WRONG. Of course it will in the OP case. Read the OP post's next time. He said sprint signal comes and goes.

His problem is likely related to the 800w PRL roaming update bug.

In the OP case The bug can cause quite a number of problem, including poor audio, not getting best data speeds, missing calls, missing texts.

His symptoms are EXACTLY consistent with PRL problems
    lol dude you're lost in the sauce. A million prl updates wouldnt fix this issue. As long is there is a Sprint signal that phone will stay on sprint, or prefer sprint. Even if there is 1 bar. The phone has to be forced to roaming, and unfortunately there are no programs i know of that regulates which signal is used and when.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnie623 View Post
    l A million prl updates wouldnt fix this issue. As long is there is a Sprint signal that phone will stay on sprint, or prefer sprint. Even if there is 1 bar.
    LOl dude you need to botehr to read the OP. We have one person who gave the wrong answer becasue he didn;t bother to read the OIP post, and you are repeating his answer without reading it iether.

That is what confused you into that bizarre answer citing one bar.
    OP's His signal is going on and if, in and out.

This is a PRL issue.

"Eve if there is one bar" wasnt what the OP siad. he says he is getting zero bars and then going in and out. That is an issue that can be helped with PRL.
  14.    #14  
    I wish there was a program to switch you automatically based on criteria, but I haven't seen anything like that. Would be cool if you could say set it up so that if you were less than 2 bars and roaming was 4, it'd switch (and stay switched) to roaming.
    This is exactly what i would like.. Yes, my phone will fluctuate between 0 and 1 bar of signal.. Too bad the phone wont automatically choose roaming if it is available and the sprint service is in/out.

And about the PRL update - never thought of that. I do remember calling Sprint and having them update my PRL - but when i checked my phone, the PRL number hadn't changed.. interesting..
    And about the PRL update - never thought of that. I do remember calling Sprint and having them update my PRL - but when i checked my phone, the PRL number hadn't changed.. interesting..
    It is a bug. We had a sprint technician note it here after the late September PRL update that the 800w couldn't hold (there have been more updates since). The technician said they expected a rom or other update to fix it soon, but apparently Palm had a problem. There are ways to do it with illicit use of software. Of course that can brick you phone and voids warranty.

the thing is if you see it going form 0-1 over such long periods, it is certainly totally losing sprint momentarily and requiring several times during that period. Thati s where an up to date PRL can insure that you get the best signal which you note is better on roaming..
    "Eve if there is one bar" wasnt what the OP siad. he says he is getting zero bars and then going in and out. That is an issue that can be helped with PRL.
    Moving to the latest PRL will only help in two circumstances.

1) He's roaming on non-preferred roaming networks. (Not applicable here.)
    2) He's roaming on international networks. (Again, not applicable here.)

Those are the two changes with the latest PRL.

Quote Originally Posted by techfury90 View Post
    I highly recommend upgrading to 60650, because of one major change made to the PRL's header: you cannot accidentally roam on systems not in the PRL. In Raleigh, NC for example, I've noticed that Sprint phones would accidentally pick up Kiwi PCS (a local "unlimited" carrier) when losing Sprint signal, instead of Alltel or Verizon, and sometimes required a PRI reset to be able to ever pick up Sprint again. Installing 60650 now prevented the phone from landing on Kiwi, since it is now restricted to just Verizon and Alltel for roaming partners in that area. That's the main difference between 60614->60650, along with removing all NEG entries, since they were made unnecessary by the change to disallowing systems not in the PRL (you can notice this up at the top of the QPST roaming list editor, I believe the checkbox is labeled something like "preferred systems only").

Edit: I also noticed about 10-15 more SIDs for KDDI in Japan for international roaming purposes, but I haven't investigated further.

It is a bug. We had a sprint technician note it here after the late September PRL update that the 800w couldn't hold (there have been more updates since).
    It is only the manually triggered PRL update that currently doesn't work properly. The PRL updates that are mass pushed are functioning correctly.

I was updated to 60614, many people were updated to 60649, and quite a few people were updated to 60650. The people in the areas that needed the update (such as in NC where they were roaming on Kiwi PCS incorrectly), got the update.

In other words, if you live in an area effected by a PRL change then you should get the update.

If you want to update your PRL it is about as safe and easy as it can be. The method posted uses the same tools that Qualcomm uses, and dozens of people have done it successfully. It is a simple matter of uploading the PRL file to your phone. You change zero settings, make zero tweaks and effect exactly nothing else. (Though now would be a good time to do the sound hack and enable autonomous and cached GPS modes.)

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-manually.html

You can try updating the PRL but it's unlikely to effect you unless you live in an area previously noted to be effected by the PRL update. I know that myself and quite a few others saw exactly zero differences, but a large chunk of the PRL updates lately have been for international roaming rather than domestic.
    Moving to the latest PRL will only help in two circumstances.

1) He's roaming on non-preferred roaming networks. (Not applicable here.)
    2) He's roaming on international networks. (Again, not applicable here.)
    3) roaming verizon towers and or virizon towers aquired by altel
    4) Roaming on any other US priovider with which the sprint has a romaing agreement

Neither excluded. 3 in fact likely.

given that you are not automatically updated and if you request an update it won't stick, this is bug. According to Sprint support they are still trying to get a fix with palm to be able to properly update.

If you want to update your PRL it is about as safe and easy as it can be. The method posted uses the same tools that Qualcomm uses, and dozens of people have done it successfully. .
    holy smoke! I have never seen anyone with any remote responsibility advise another user who they do not know to be an expert, to use qpst and not note it can brick your phone and of course voids your warranty!

Wrong. It is illegal, it can brick your phone and it voids your warranty.
    This might not be too hard to implement, but the issues are (1) it would be a one-off (device specific) and (2) I don't know how you would determine when to switch back, unless it just timed out.

I think there's enough state accessible in the registry that you could probably do a simple version in MortScript.
    3) roaming verizon towers and or virizon towers aquired by altel
    4) Roaming on any other US priovider with which the sprint has a romaing agreement
    There were only a handful of domestic PRL changes in the latest updates. The Altel towers have not been changed in the latest PRL list, nor would it much matter to Sprint users (both Altel and Verizon are already preferred roaming partners).

given that you are not automatically updated and if you request an update it won't stick, this is bug. According to Sprint support they are still trying to get a fix with palm to be able to properly update.
    PRL update pushes are sticking and being updated properly.

See the PRL update thread for plenty of feedback on users who were updated properly.

It's only the manually triggered PRL updates that are not functioning correctly. The mass updates are working.

holy smoke! I have never seen anyone with any remote responsibility advise another user who they do not know to be an expert, to use qpst and not note it can brick your phone and of course voids your warranty!

Wrong. It is illegal, it can brick your phone and it voids your warranty.
    Incorrect.

1. It's not criminally illegal. In other words Qualcomm could sue you in a civil court, but you can't go to jail for it. Even the civil aspect of it is questionable. (And in fact the QPST restrictions only address distribution, not use.)
    2. It will not brick your phone if you follow the instructions.
    3. While it can void the warranty, it's less likely to do so than many other mods (such as loading custom ROM's). It's also far less dangerous than many other mods.

In fact, the more I look over QPST the more I realize that it's quite safe. If you *REALLY* hose it up, just do a factory reset and reprovision your phone. Wish that undoing a custom ROM was that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    This might not be too hard to implement, but the issues are (1) it would be a one-off (device specific) and (2) I don't know how you would determine when to switch back, unless it just timed out.

I think there's enough state accessible in the registry that you could probably do a simple version in MortScript.
    Yeah, I've considered doing that. Not sure that you could flip it from Sprint to roaming by just using the registry tho.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 02/13/2009 at 05:57 PM.
    I'm almost positive this is from a PRL update or problem. I remember back when I had the treo 650, my phone would go into roaming when i went into my bedroom. If it wasn't on roam, it would be at 0 bars.

After I updated the PRL thinking I would get better service, my service actually got worse. Now I couldn't make my phone roam and it would STAY on 0 bars. It would try so damn hard to stay on that 0 bars that I couldn't get the friggin thing to roam after the update.

THIS WAS FROM THE PRL UPDATE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast