View Poll Results: Open the box or sell it (800w)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell the unopened 800w because it wouldn't be worth using

3 18.75%
  • try it, if you don't like it sell it

11 68.75%
  • try it, if you don't like it, you probably can't sell it, but give it to your wife

2 12.50%
  1.    #1  
    I've been a longtime Palm device owner. I currently have a Sprint Centro that is about a year old, but is having some slight keyboard issues. I was using this as my main phone for work (email) and home...

My company forced me to use a Blackberry Curve for email on our corporate account. They disabled Activesync and the ability to use Seven email with our email. The Curve is ok, but they have totally locked it down so I can't install anything...

Anyway... I was looking for a replacement for my Centro for my personal phone for weekends and if I need a phone to use as a modem for my laptop. I was originally looking at non-smartphones as I don't need a 2nd smartphone, but all the Sprint non-smartphones use a java music player and are pretty limited and don't use EVDO Rev.A. I found a good deal on an 800w on ebay.. $180 brand new, no contract. I was thinking... a little bigger than I wanted, but EVDO Rev.A... Fast.. about the same size as my centro, A2DP. Battery life on the Sprint page looked slightly better than my Centro too. Being able to use slingplayer mobile with it is also a good thing.

Now.. After reading these forums I'm having 2nd thoughts..... Seems like a lot of people don't like the 800w.

Things I've read that are concerning me:

Battery life is poor (same or worse than Centro)
    Bad earphone or microphone makes the phone sound muddy
    No headphone adapter (WTF???) This was the lamest thing I saw...
    Stability issues?

Anyway.. If I was looking for an EVDO Rev. A phone for occasional web browsing and using my phone as a modem... Is the 800w the best choice?

The only other phone I was considering was a Motorola v950 w/EVDO Rev.A for $119. This is just a regular flip phone. Seems like similar battery life to the 800w. Then I'd have to deal with limitations in that most apps would probably have to be java, but it would be smaller.

Anyway... before I open the box... Opinions...

P.S. I've never owned a Win Mob device, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'm really interested in Phone functionality, Tethering and browsing the web using the phone.
    Well. I'm sure you will get mixed opinions on this question.... I have had my 800w for a few months.
    1. Battery life will go 20 hours for me with some tweaks(like turning gps and bt off). So I charge my 800w every night
    2. Microphone does sound a little muddy not terrible. I opened up my ear piece according to one of the forums which fixed this.
    3. Yah there is not headphone. you can mod one or use adp2 bt device like I do.
    4. I have not had a problem with stability
    The good - I have had many smartphones, but the 800w has the most functionability of any of them. It has a full kb, touch screen, wifi which I do not see from any other devices. Also the amount of free and useful apps for windows mobile is nice.
    I really like my 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    Now.. After reading these forums I'm having 2nd thoughts..... Seems like a lot of people don't like the 800w.
    There are a handful of people who are very vocal about their dislike of the 800w. That's fine. But if you look over the polls take, you'll see that the majority of the people are happy with theirs (you just don't see them post much because as a general rule people happy with a phone won't bother coming here ).

It's actually better than the Centro by a bit. It's only half an hour less than the Treo Pro, and actually half an hour better than than Touch Pro.

If your Centro works for you, then you'll have no problems with the 800w.

There's a couple of minor problems with the design, the hole for the earphone speaker is too small. That can be easily enlarged and made to look factory. You can also use QPST to increase the volume of the phone.

Coming from the 700wx I was a bit disappointed with the volume on the 800w, I found it to be quieter and not quite a clear. After doing the QPST mod, the 800w sounds great, better than the 700wx. After doing that mod and the housing mod, there's really no comparison.

Yup, make your own or use bluetooth.

Stability issues?
    No stability issues here. There are programs that when installed will cause problems, but that's true of any phone. The 800w is actually way more rock solid than the 700wx was.

Anyway.. If I was looking for an EVDO Rev. A phone for occasional web browsing and using my phone as a modem... Is the 800w the best choice?
    The 800w is a great choice. Is it the best for you? That's just going to depend on you.

The only other phone I was considering was a Motorola v950 w/EVDO Rev.A for $119. This is just a regular flip phone. Seems like similar battery life to the 800w. Then I'd have to deal with limitations in that most apps would probably have to be java, but it would be smaller.
    Apples to oranges.

P.S. I've never owned a Win Mob device, but I'm not too concerned about it. I'm really interested in Phone functionality, Tethering and browsing the web using the phone.
    There's a lof of flexability with Windows Mobile. You can do pretty much anything you want without the restrictions of other phones (IE: iPhone, Blackberry, etc). If that's what you're looking for, then a WM device sounds like it's for you.
  4. Cel
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    I like mine alot. ...with the extended battery...
    I have to say that I also like the 800W. It has been rock solid for me. I use Bluetooth for music and I have no problem with the sound quality of the handset.
  6.    #6  
    Interesting that there are a few people who said it isn't even worth trying. Any opinions on why before I open this thing? I just got home and its sitting on my desk.....
    go for it!
    Interesting that there are a few people who said it isn't even worth trying. Any opinions on why before I open this thing? I just got home and its sitting on my desk.....
    The Sprint Treo Pro will be released in the not so distant future. And likely won't have many of the bugs that are in the Treo 800w. The 800w is already set to be EOLed in April.

Here's the latest on the Treo Pro's expected release.

Selling the 800w now you might make what you paid for it, but once the Sprint Treo Pro is released the resale value of the 800w will only drop.
    I like it a lot so say go for it.

Treo Pro is coming out soon, but if you're in contract (sounds like you are) you'll paying in the upper $400 range for the first 30-60 days (one eBay seller was selling them for $475; retail is $549--that's a helluva lot more than $180).

So this depends on your financial situation and what is your priority. Personally, I don't think the Treo Pro is worth the extra $300+ unless it has some features you really need (e.g. standalone GPS). I mean it's nice, just not necessarily $400-500 "weekend phone" nice ;-)

BTW, I used the Centro extensively and find battery life to be comparable to the 800w. Treo Pro's battery is great for standby, but having a 528mhz processor eats up that 1500mah pretty quickly when in actual use, which has been my experience for the last 2 weeks using it.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/11/2009 at 08:05 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  10.    #10  
    Yeah.. Treo Pro isn't really an option for me. I was really only looking to spend $200 or less (without contract) for a new phone. I actually am out of contract, but wanted to save my re-up for the Pre, if it is any good.

So it was either sticking with the Centro, 800W for the EVDO Rev. A mainly, or going with a non-smartphone, but giving up my Slingmobile player.
    If that's the case then definitely give it a shot. Going to RevA with Wifi and aGPS is a very sweet upgrade from the Centro. (btw, you may want to read my 30 days later review of the 800w)

And yeah, save that rebate/new price for the Pre.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Yeah.. Treo Pro isn't really an option for me. I was really only looking to spend $200 or less (without contract) for a new phone. I actually am out of contract, but wanted to save my re-up for the Pre, if it is any good.

So it was either sticking with the Centro, 800W for the EVDO Rev. A mainly, or going with a non-smartphone, but giving up my Slingmobile player.
    You're going to switch from Palm OS to Windows Mobile, only to move to WebOS shortly afterward with a Palm Pre? You're going to do a LOT of device OS moving in a short period of time. And what if the Pre releases on 3/15? It may not release till June, but even if it releases in June, you'll be changing from that 800w in just a little more than a few months. If the Pre is REALLY what you want, seems you would have just waited and held on to the Centro.

And are you planning to get applications for the 800w other than freeware? Obviously you'd have to buy applications you would only use a short while.
  13.    #13  
    I probably wouldn't get a Pre on release day. I learned my lesson from other Palm phones. I would wait at least 3-6 months, to see how it shakes out.

I am a quick learner.. besides.. my current Centro has a failing keyboard that is annoying the heck out of me.
    Stability issues?

There are 50 great things about the 800w and a number of drawbacks. You are citing the ones most often cited. The consensus is these are the main problems. So it depends on you.
    The battery can be dealt with for $60 and an even fatter form (of course that eats into the differential of what you paid). As a business user I find it is not sufficient for a days use, and we all agree it wont give you what you would get on a BB or centro, but of course it can do more with an 800w. Mainly coming from none WM you will need to alter your charging habits. Keep it charging whenever you can.

The partial fixes for the sound problems involve voiding warranty. I find the handset sound to be subpar, especially for a $600 device, but it is the speakerphone that most people find especially terrible.
    The headphone issue depends on how you use it, it could be very important drawback or a totally unimportant one.
    Stability issues most people talk about are more related to windows mobile, which gives you a heck of a lot of options (you mentioned tethering) and some headaches.

We dont know how much you paid, what your return options are and how much you an to pay. If you were doing it on OPM (other peoples money, eg your employer) and can wait a few weeks I would say it is a no brander to get the Treo Pro, I doubt anyone would disagree; if you got a good price on the 800w keep it and don't look back. There is some great advice on these forums for getting the most out of your 800w
    I probably wouldn't get a Pre on release day. I learned my lesson from other Palm phones. I would wait at least 3-6 months, to see how it shakes out.

I am a quick learner.. besides.. my current Centro has a failing keyboard that is annoying the heck out of me.
    Well I can certainly agree with that! The 800w helped me learn to do it.

You're in a position where you might as well open the box . You wanted something for <$200 and you've got something that will do Slingbox for you faster than your Centro. And your Centro is falling apart. Although without a wired 3.5mm headset jack, you'll take a sacrifice in sound quality. None of the BT audio options give as superb a clear sound quality as a wired headphone jack, but it depends on how much of an audiophile that you are.

You'll probably have the 800w less than a year and got it cheap with no contractual obligations.

Knowing the details of your situation, even though I dumped the 800w, you're coming in knowing more of the scoop up front. (And I have no desires for Pre, so my situation was different because I was thinking longer term.) I'd open the box if in your shoes and make the most of it till ready to Pre-up .
    I hope your device is solid like a few users on this forum. Many of us had 2,3,4 devices (I had 3). The device can be very good at times. On mine those moments were brief. The muffled earpiece was my number 1 reason for ditching it. There is a very desperate hack for a little more volume but I will let Ebag jump on that one if you are interested. If I were to buy a device today the 800 woukd not be on my list. My back up device (Centro) is so much better and it cost me $68 new. Touch Pro, Treo Pro are the ones I would buy today.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    I just switched from my 700wx to an 800w, and I am extremely happy with the switch. The only problem I had was using the 800w as a modem, but a quick registry edit (per the FAQ on the forum) and it was working great (actually faster than my WiFi at home.)

So far, I have install all my software that was on my 700wx onto my 800w, and have not seen any stability issues at all. If anything, this thing runs a lot smoother.

Cant really comment on battery life, as my old 700wx put me in the habit of always having a charger around. Otherwise, the battery life seems decent enough.