Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    I'm leaning towards buying an unlocked GSM Treo Pro. I've read all the reviews and gone through several threads here and on other forums and wanted to get some thoughts from folks who may have used both the GSM Treo Pro and the Motorola Q9h. I've used the Q9h for a year and generally like it. It has great reception and the speakerphone is top notch. I was hoping to get some feedback from people on a few areas before pulling the trigger and getting the Pro:

    (1) Reception
    (2) Speakerphone
    (3) Speed/Responsiveness
    (4) Slingplayer/Slingbox

    I recently bought an HTC Fuze (Touch Pro) and returned it after a week because of the lousy speakerphone, so-so reception, and overall sluggishness. The Treo Pro is the only current phone that has all of the specs that I'm looking for. I appreciate any help you can give me.
    Last edited by dwboston; 02/10/2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: clarification
  2. #2  
    Any feedback you get at this point will be based off what people have seen from the Sprint Treo Pro before it was recalled. So its likely to have changed. (At least I'm hoping it has!)

    Here's what I've seen:

    1) Some people have reported it to be unstable (and possibly worse) than the 800w. Based on that and what I know of the Moto Q9, I doubt it'll be better than the Moto (and probably a bit worse).

    2) Good speaker phone.

    3) CPU speed seems about on par with the 800w. A tad faster for running large programs, but nothing major. From what I've seen on the Moto Q9 it's extremely snappy, but the 800w seems to run bigger programs a bit better, so it's probably about a wash (slightly slower on the generic OS, moving around side, bit faster on the running of programs side).

    On the memory side the Pro suffers seriously. It's not enough for a power user, and IE6 crashes often (possibly due to not enough memory, possible due to a problem with the setup). That's going to be a serious bottleneck for running lots of programs, or a single big one. I hope that Palm rips IE6 out, it's not ready yet.

    4) Haven't heard anything one way or another.


    Of course the Moto Q9 is really a different beast than the Treo Pro. Touch screen VS non, etc.

    The Moto Q9 is a really impressive phone though. If you don't mind the lack of touch screen and a little bit older of a phone, it's really solid.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Any feedback you get at this point will be based off what people have seen from the Sprint Treo Pro before it was recalled. So its likely to have changed. (At least I'm hoping it has!)

    Here's what I've seen:

    1) Some people have reported it to be unstable (and possibly worse) than the 800w. Based on that and what I know of the Moto Q9, I doubt it'll be better than the Moto (and probably a bit worse).

    2) Good speaker phone.

    3) CPU speed seems about on par with the 800w. A tad faster for running large programs, but nothing major. From what I've seen on the Moto Q9 it's extremely snappy, but the 800w seems to run bigger programs a bit better, so it's probably about a wash (slightly slower on the generic OS, moving around side, bit faster on the running of programs side).

    On the memory side the Pro suffers seriously. It's not enough for a power user, and IE6 crashes often (possibly due to not enough memory, possible due to a problem with the setup). That's going to be a serious bottleneck for running lots of programs, or a single big one. I hope that Palm rips IE6 out, it's not ready yet.

    4) Haven't heard anything one way or another.


    Of course the Moto Q9 is really a different beast than the Treo Pro. Touch screen VS non, etc.

    The Moto Q9 is a really impressive phone though. If you don't mind the lack of touch screen and a little bit older of a phone, it's really solid.
    Thanks for the info - I was referring to the unlocked GSM Treo Pro in my post. I should have been more clear. I'll edit the first post to clarify. Sorry about that.
  4. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #4  
    Isnt Q a smartphone vs a WM phone?

    Q is much bigger and broader.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Isnt Q a smartphone vs a WM phone?

    Q is much bigger and broader.
    It looks like they are about the same size:

    Q9h
    4.65" x 2.64" x 0.46"
    (118 x 67 x 11.7 mm)

    Treo Pro
    4.49" x 2.36" x 0.53"
    (114 x 60 x 13.5 mm)

    The Q9h runs WM 6.1 Standard - it's a good phone but I'd like to upgrade to a WM Pro device with WiFi. I was just wondering if anyone has used both.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    Thanks for the info - I was referring to the unlocked GSM Treo Pro in my post. I should have been more clear. I'll edit the first post to clarify. Sorry about that.
    No problem. A lot of it will still apply.

    Not the memory comments though. And the GSM Treo Pro seems to be a bit slower than it's Sprint counterpart, so there is that.
  7. #7  
    I own both and have used both extensively.
    The Gsm Treo Pro is Rock Solid Stable.
    It's the Best SmartPhone I've ever owned.

    Reception: q9h wins by a hair.
    Speaker Phone: The GTP is good but the q9h is amazing.
    Speed/Responsiveness: The GTP blows the q9h away.
    Slingplayer/Slingbox: Haven't tried it.

    One thing you didn't ask is screen - GTP blows the q9h away.
    Just call me Berd.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    No problem. A lot of it will still apply.

    Not the memory comments though. And the GSM Treo Pro seems to be a bit slower than it's Sprint counterpart, so there is that.
    The following doesn't apply to the GTP either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    1) Some people have reported it to be unstable (and possibly worse) than the 800w. Based on that and what I know of the Moto Q9, I doubt it'll be better than the Moto (and probably a bit worse).
    Just call me Berd.
  9. #9  
    Truth. The GSM Treo Pro seems to be a step above and beyond the Sprint Treo Pro. Wish that they had just left well enough alone.
  10. #10  
    I have had the GSM Treo Pro for 4 months. It is hands down the best WM smartphone I have ever owned. With the exception of the cracking issue (which has been documented on this site and to which Palm addressed to my satisfaction), I have to say the unlocked GSM Treo Pro is a great device.

    If you get it, I think the following will enhance your experience on that phone:

    1) Download and install Ebag's realvga program. Contrary to what some may say, it does not slow down the phone's performance. Some folks don't know how to use real vga and wind up screwing up the phone's setting (i.e., uninstalling realvga without switching to 128dpi). Realvga gives you 25% more real estate space on your screen. When I recently received my replacement Pro, I was reminded of how awkward 128dpi looks especially once you get used to 96 dpi on a 320 x 320 screen. Don't worry about the crushed battery, there is a way to replace that with the sound volume icon and you can reactivate the basic wm battery indicator (tweaking the registry);

    2) Download and install the Digital Pocket ION freeware. It gives you the ability to customize your today screen a great deal;

    3) Purchase memmaid. This program ensures (based on your speed optimization settings) that RAM hungry programs are kept in check while providing maximum speed. My Pro is very snappy. The month I did not have memmaid, the Pro was average on speed. This program has enhanced the speed and snappiness of the device;

    3) Purchase kinomaplay. Awesome program. I like the orb feature the best. basically you can have your entire cd collection (mine is about 300 cds) on your hard drive and you can access any song or cd remotely from your Treo Pro and it will play with the clarity (esp. in HSPA connection). Kinomaplay has other benefits that have been written ad nauseum on this site;

    4) I purchased a Jabra 700sp bluetooth A2DP device for my car. I have an older car that has no bluetooth integration kit. I was quoted $2,000 to have my dealership install a bluetooth kit in my car. For less than $80 this device converts my car stereo (bose system) into a jukebox for which I can play any song off of my Pro or computer from home (using Orb and kinomaplay). Moreover, I can speak and have normal phone conversations using my car's stereo speakers. And best of all, I didn't have to spend $2,000;

    5) Bluetooth connections on the Pro are solid. BT patch fixed the earlier reported BT bug;

    6) The pro performs like a champ when syncing with a Microsoft exchange server. I am even able to get faxes on my Pro, using a fax server through MS exchange and view them with the adobe software that comes with the Pro;

    7) I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs. Why am I disclosing this? Because people complain about the Pro's keyboard being too small. Granted, it is not the best keyboard (compared to the Treo 750 or 680); however, I have gotten used to using the Pro using my average size fingers. Do I make mistakes when texting? Sure but it's not as bad as some reviews have said;

    8) Tethering and wifi feature. I was recently abroad and was able to use the wifi to get my email without a sim card; and,

    9) Battery life. The Pro lasts me a day on a single charge. I am probably on the phone 90 minutes during the day, syncing realtime with exchange server for 12 hours, send about 20 texts a day and go online to surf the net (btw, install skyfire, PIE is garbage). Given the size of the program and benefits of both, I chose skyfire over opera mini.

    I can go on and on about the GSM Treo Pro. Is it a perfect phone? No. But for me it is the best phone on the market. I tried the Iphone and Touch Pro. Nice devices and I would have them over the Pro if I was a college student or in the entertainment biz. The fact of the matter is I don't make money having a phone that has the ability to play a Britney Spears video. The features on the Pro save me time and give me convenience that translates into money for me. Btw, if you think the Pro's keyboard is inaccurate, go into an AT&T store and try the Iphone's virtual keyboard. Horrific if you ask me.

    Good luck on your decision. The motorola q9 is a good phone but the Pro edges it.

    I know I have ranted and raved about the Pro already and I must sound like a fanboy but this is an honest opinion from someone who relies on his Treo Pro as sort of a back up brain or right hand.
    Last edited by JohnPalmer; 02/11/2009 at 01:23 AM.
  11. #11  
    Fanboy is a term used to describe any individual who is devoted to a single subject in an emotional or fanatical manner, or to a single point of view within that subject, often to the point where it is considered an obsession.
    I didn't feel any emotion from your post John.

    Great Post
    Just call me Berd.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnPalmer View Post
    I have had the GSM Treo Pro for 4 months. It is hands down the best WM smartphone I have ever owned. With the exception of the cracking issue (which has been documented on this site and to which Palm addressed to my satisfaction), I have to say the unlocked GSM Treo Pro is a great device.
    ...
    Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
  13. CDG
    CDG is offline
    CDG's Avatar
    Posts
    467 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    #13  
    I second JohnPalmer's opinion. It is definitely the best device I have had to date. The only problem I have had is that initially the keys took a little adjusting to, coming from the 750.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    .
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by charlyee View Post
    I second JohnPalmer's opinion. It is definitely the best device I have had to date. The only problem I have had is that initially the keys took a little adjusting to, coming from the 750.
    Thanks - there really are trade-offs with all of these devices. The Q9h keyboard is great but it's lacking some other features and the Q series is apparently end-of-life at Motorola, which is a shame. The GSM Treo Pro seems like the best combination of everything I'm looking for in a phone for the next year or so, until we see some WM 6.5 device or a GSM Pre.

    I had a Touch Pro for a week or so and was really disappointed with it, especially for the $. On paper it seems like a great device, but requires way too much flashing of ROM's and modding to make it usable and responsive. I could have lived with that if the hardware was better, but the speakerphone was lousy (and no amount of tweaking/hex-editing the audiopara file made it better), the reception was much worse than the Q9h (which I realize is a tough comparison), and the GPs was unusable. Plus the phone is a brick. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't a fully realized product. I had a few worries about the GTP because it was also designed/built by HTC but not anymore.
    Last edited by dwboston; 02/11/2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Add info
  15. amg212's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    (4) Slingplayer/Slingbox
    Although this was one of the nonfunctioning programs when the TP first came out, the latest version of Slingplayer Mobile works like a charm.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by amg212 View Post
    Although this was one of the nonfunctioning programs when the TP first came out, the latest version of Slingplayer Mobile works like a charm.

    Do you think there will be a problem with the CDMA version of Treo Pro running slingbox? I highly doubt it, but the Sling Mobile for Blackberry works fine on GSM Curve but not at all for CDMA Curve.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by amg212 View Post
    Although this was one of the nonfunctioning programs when the TP first came out, the latest version of Slingplayer Mobile works like a charm.
    That's great - Slingplayer Mobile was always just so-so on the Q9h. It wasn't officially supported by Sling until last summer, and there's something weird about the Q9h hardware setup (could be the TI processor), that it can't be run with "high" settings, even with a strong 3G signal. It usually tops out around 15 fps.

    Slingplayer didn't run that well on the Fuze (Touch Pro) either. I wonder if the fact that both were AT&T branded devices had something to do with it.
  18. #18  
    That may be.

    Maybe it's an att proxy thing.

    Have you looked into disabling att's proxy?
    Just call me Berd.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    That may be.

    Maybe it's an att proxy thing.

    Have you looked into disabling att's proxy?
    I did that on both the Q9h and Fuze - it didn't make a noticeable difference with Slingplayer - internet browsing was a bit faster though. I was running the stock ROMs on both (on the Fuze I didn't install the AT&T bloatware either). I've never run it on a true unlocked, unbranded device. Interestingly, it runs fine on my laptop when tethered using the Q9h's internet connection.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks for all the help - I ordered the Treo Pro yesterday from Amazon.com and a holster from Seidio. Looking forward to hanging around here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions