1.    #1  
    Interesting article on CNN about what Microsoft thinks about the future of smartphones. Make one wonder how much and how long support will be around for current devices.

Microsoft readies smartphone assault on Apple - CNN.com

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I want WM to be around for a long time. I love it. I am Pro Microsoft, Pro Dell and Pro USA!
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Pro Dell and Pro USA!
    [Heavy Indian Accent]Thank you for calling Dell, my name is......Mike.[/Heavy Indian Accent]

(True story, including the pause. He also claimed he was from.....Detroit.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    [Heavy Indian Accent]Thank you for calling Dell, my name is......Mike.[/Heavy Indian Accent]

(True story, including the pause. He also claimed he was from.....Detroit.)
    We can do without that kind of anecdote. You do realize there are millions and millions of immigrants to the US from Pakistan and India and they tend to be highly educated (more educated than Americans without accents), have a disproportionately high number of engineering degrees (and medical degrees) -- and have Indian accents.
    IMO, they (MSFT and WM) are less appealing now for business users than probably ever before. Look at the current offerings - either poor touchscreen only devices (really too small for actually typing on regularly) or bulky slide out kb's (not that slide outs are a bad thing, just not a typical "business phone"). The Moto Q9 is great but going away. BJII - great but is it going to be updated again? There is a new Dash and a Samsung Saga but really not many "business phones". I think this is why Sprint actually wants the Treo Pro to get out (but rolled out WORKING, not crippled) so that business clients needing WM will have a decent phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    We can do without that kind of anecdote. You do realize there are millions and millions of immigrants to the US from Pakistan and India and they tend to be highly educated (more educated than Americans without accents), have a disproportionately high number of engineering degrees (and medical degrees) -- and have Indian accents.
    My last boss was Indian. Very sharp guy. Worked with him for a couple years before moving on to bigger and better. He'd only be in the country for I think 8 years, and I was quite impressed at how well adapter he was.

Oh, and before you want to slam me for knocking immigrants, you might want to know that I'm only a 3rd generation native American. My great-grandmother was actually an illegal immigrant.

I have no problems with people being immigrants (or from a foreign country for that matter). I find it humorous that Dell call center employees (which are based in India) are using American names and cities in an attempt to seem more "American". (And this was absolutely a person in India, no doubt about it. And yes, I'm going by more than just the accent. )

My aunt just got back from spending the last almost three years in the Philippians setting up a call center there for a large banking company here. It's actually a great thing, hugely stimulates the local economy and provides an American company a way to increase the quality of jobs in America (they've needed to hire a bunch of American's to handle the call center, all of whom get paid quite well).

My comment was pointing out the slight irony in chong's statement, given Dell's well known stance on outsourcing US jobs to foreign countries (and specifically to India). Nothing more, nothing less.

And to bring this actually back ON topic....

Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    IMO, they (MSFT and WM) are less appealing now for business users than probably ever before. Look at the current offerings - either poor touchscreen only devices (really too small for actually typing on regularly) or bulky slide out kb's (not that slide outs are a bad thing, just not a typical "business phone"). The Moto Q9 is great but going away. BJII - great but is it going to be updated again? There is a new Dash and a Samsung Saga but really not many "business phones". I think this is why Sprint actually wants the Treo Pro to get out (but rolled out WORKING, not crippled) so that business clients needing WM will have a decent phone.
    Unless MS rolls out their own phone, they have very little control over what phones are out there. Since they're not doing that, the only thing they can do is continue to improve their software.

Which they've been doing, very heavily.

As far as a phone perspective goes, the options and choices out there are more varied than they were just a few yearsago. While I don't like slide outs any more than you do, some people prefer them.

And while the Moto Q9c is going away (I agree, a great phone), there are similar black slab phones such as the Samsung ACE.

The 800w at $99.99 is an absolute steal, and it's actually a great business phone. The company that I work for (which is rather old fashioned) doesn't care for the new flashy iPhone style phones, but the 800w would fit in perfectly while the Pro would stand out like a sore thumb (we won't order the people Blackberries in anything other than black or silver, and no iPhones allowed, though WM is open if you choose to set it up and use it yourself).

Of course that just depends on the company you work for.
    Last edited by Ebag333; 02/10/2009 at 02:23 PM.
  7. CDG
    Global Posts
    2,003 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    My comment was pointing out the slight irony in chong's statement, given Dell's well known stance on outsourcing US jobs to foreign countries (and specifically to India). Nothing more, nothing less
    That is exactly how I, a first generation female immigrant from Calcutta India, with a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering, took it.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute to the actual topic of this thread.
    Please Visit My Other Hangout
    Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Palm Treo 750 > Palm Treo Pro > BB 9700.
  8.    #8  
    Based on my pesonal experience, many major companies (including GE, American Express, Microsoft, and heaven knows how many others) have outsourced their cusotmer service to India. I personally don't have a problem with that, provided that the service doesn't suffer, and my service needs are met. What I do have a problem with is those companies attempts to make it appear that you are talking to an American based service. Adopting American names, accent neutralization classes, and more to make it seem you're still dealing with with a local rep, that stretches it a little too far. If you have ever watched the show "30 Days", they did an episode on just this subject, where an American who lost his job to out sourcing went to India, and lived with a family there who made their living doing just that. It is a very interesting topic for discussion, and this is probably an off topic post. But since I started it, I felt the need to respond.

Also, I get the feeling from the Microsoft announcements, they may be making a move into the hardware end of the mobile business. Based on their experience with the Zune, I don't think it would be a smart move. They seem to do better when they allow other companies to implement their software on their software. After all, how many Microsoft-brand computers do you see?

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I'm looking forward to Sprint's new WinMo lineup, considering nobody knows if or when the Treo Pro will be released. We've got some great HTC devices on the horizon, one looks like a treo pro/Q9c hybrid, the others look like the Touch HD, with or without a sliding keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by entropism View Post
    I'm looking forward to Sprint's new WinMo lineup, considering nobody knows if or when the Treo Pro will be released. We've got some great HTC devices on the horizon, one looks like a treo pro/Q9c hybrid, the others look like the Touch HD, with or without a sliding keyboard.
    treo pro/Q9c hybrid, hmm
    You've got my Attention.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    treo pro/Q9c hybrid, hmm
    You've got my Attention.
    HTC "Cedar" referenced in the HTC lineup leak a few weeks back and hinted at in the latest BGR article. I actually wish we were getting a Moto Q9c replacement from Moto, but they're pulling a Palm now and are off in lala land.

Think of something like this but with WinMo instead of Android. Wouldn't be surprised if it launched in late April/early May.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter