Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I notice even the new HTC like Touch Pro and Diamond have no upper left and right button.

So is the same with the Treo Pro.

This is like saying having a mouse with no left and right button.

The other trend is that everbody is getting shinny.

Sad.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Chong, I love your posts. They're like little bizarre haikus.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I was able to play around with a STP for ~20 minutes before my local Best Buy realized that they couldn't sell it to me and/or activate it. I bought a Touch Pro instead planning to try it out and return it when the STP is actually released. Anyway, coming from a 700WX I thought I would miss the soft keys, but really didn't at all. On the STP the layout of the keyboard is so tight, I found myself just touching the bottom of the touch screen as if they are actual keys. I do the same with the Touch Pro, but really miss a full keyboard (on the front of course). Anyway, just my opinion.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just looked at the upcoming TP2 coming out this summer and it has no more D-pad!

WM6.5 say it does not like to have any buttons from what I read.

So maybe the next Pro will not have any buttons but the Receive and Hangup button?

Even more sad!
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by jac6695 View Post
    I was able to play around with a STP for ~20 minutes before my local Best Buy realized that they couldn't sell it to me and/or activate it. I bought a Touch Pro instead planning to try it out and return it when the STP is actually released. Anyway, coming from a 700WX I thought I would miss the soft keys, but really didn't at all. On the STP the layout of the keyboard is so tight, I found myself just touching the bottom of the touch screen as if they are actual keys. I do the same with the Touch Pro, but really miss a full keyboard (on the front of course). Anyway, just my opinion.
    I agree. I came to the GSM Treo Pro from the Moto Q9h, which had the soft keys just under the screen. It's a pretty easy transition to actually touch the screen in those spots instead of under them. Also, it's been mentioned before that the touch sensistivity actually extends below the bottom of the screen a bit - you can actually touch the silver-colored bezel at the bottom of the screen and it will respond.
    Another thing that was mentioned was the physical buttons were more of a necessity when the screen was recessed.
    With the flush screen it's redundant.
    Just call me Berd.
    I dunno, I'm going to dissent here because I hate those "virtual" buttons
    1. There's no advantage to this design
    2. Full screen in Mobile IE is now a pain
    3. 3rd party apps that don't follow the traditional layout behave differently e.g. PocketTunes
    4. I have to look at the phone now--on other devices I can be pulling the phone out and hitting the button at the same time
    5. There's no advantage to this design!!! ;-)

I just don't see why the could not have made the buttons anyways, there's no engineering limitation that I can see and I don't see what is gained at all.

They would have to be flush buttons, otherwise you'd be reaching over the top of them to touch the flush screen.

Imagine them for a moment just below the onscreen buttons, yep, redundant.

I had to go back to using my 750 for about 5 weeks, I found myself (by habit) pressing the onscreen softkeys.

Personally, I get by fine without them.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    They would have to be flush buttons, otherwise you'd be reaching over the top of them to touch the flush screen.
    That's fine, the buttons on the 800w are flush buttons afterall. But that's the point...they're buttons that actually depress & they're flush!

Like I said, no reason, no advantage. It's not redundant...they're buttons. Are the "Ok" and "Start" buttons redundant too? Why not just get rid of all buttons, afterall they're all redudant by that defintion--then we have an iPhone and not a Treo, lol.

A virtual button is the purposeful absence of what should be there. I think it's one of the dumbest things of the device and it screams "HTC", who just don't get ergonomics like Palm did.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/25/2009 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    That's fine, the buttons on the 800w are flush buttons afterall. But that's the point...they're buttons that actually depress!

Like I said, no reason, no advantage. It's not redundant...they're buttons. A virtual button is the purposeful absence of what should be there. I think it's one of the dumbest things of the device and it screams "HTC", who just don't get ergonomics like Palm did.
    I don't see what's so wrong about them, and I just came from a device that had soft key buttons. It took me a few hours to adjust to pressing the screen and it feels completely natural now after a week.
    I guess it's more of a personal preference.
    I don't see it as that big of an issue.
    At first, I was all put out by it too.
    I've since practically forgot all about them.
    In fact it was this thread that reminded me.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwboston View Post
    I don't see what's so wrong about them, and I just came from a device that had soft key buttons. It took me a few hours to adjust to pressing the screen and it feels completely natural now after a week.
    Obviously this comes down to personal preference, like the KB design (also not as good as traditional Treos, imo--why change it?).

I just don't see a reason for this design. There's no advantage to having them like this, only "getting used" periods and work-arounds. Had it brought some new twist to the game, cool.

But after 30 days, I'm back and happy with my 800w. I just find the button system on the TP terrible--it's borderline anti-Treo. But like I said...personal preference

I hate those "virtual" buttons
    [*]There's no advantage to this design!!! ;-)
    It's not redundant...they're buttons. Are the "Ok" and "Start" buttons redundant too? Why not just get rid of all buttons, afterall they're all redudant by that defintion--then we have an iPhone and not a Treo, lol.

I think it's one of the dumbest things of the device and it screams "HTC",
    I just don't see a reason for this design. There's no advantage to having them like this, only "getting used" periods and work-arounds.
    I just find the button system on the TP terrible--it's borderline anti-Treo.
    I'd be totally ticked too!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'd be totally ticked too!
    I'm extra cranky today

I dunno, I'm going to dissent here because I hate those "virtual" buttons
    [LIST=1][*]There's no advantage to this design
    I just don't see why the could not have made the buttons anyways, there's no engineering limitation that I can see and I don't see what is gained at all.
    I agree with Mal but would refine it to no exploited advantage. Moving buttons to the screen gives more space for screen, and you could have the buttons in certain modes and to in others (like full screen video viewing). Obviously the did not exloit this though.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I am beginning to envision that when I get my Pro, that all my screen would be clean of any fingerprints, except for the buttom of the screen with those fingerprints that are use for virtual buttons.

Life is wonderful.
    I'm extra cranky today
    I'm sorry,

I could have just pushed you over the edge.

I have to keep up with my meds, myself.
    Just call me Berd.