Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1.    #1  
    With so few posts everyday especially after the low memory discovery, I think the S pro is going to go the way of the 800w.
    I was kinda looking forward to the device as it has a sd and was supposed to do everything well. If they skimped on the hardware......
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    With so few posts everyday especially after the low memory discovery, I think the S pro is going to go the way of the 800w.
    I was kinda looking forward to the device as it has a sd and was supposed to do everything well. If they skimped on the hardware......
    You mention, as you say "after the low memory discovery"
    I really wouldn't call it a 'discovery'.
    So far, with an unauthorized release, an STP that wasn't supposed to be released, may have low mem issues for some.
    It still remains to be seen what Palm might do for the Official/Authorized Release.

    As far as Memory Might or Might Not be low, should be discussed in either of the two threads below:

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...oo-little.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1554342


    Also,
    The Gsm Treo Pro is Loved/Liked by most who own it.
    Well... I should say; Liked by most those who voted. :-/

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-ever-had.html


    You make a good point that these Pro threads aren't screaming with activity, something we should expect if the STP was a highly anticipated device. Something we see with the Pre.

    I would guess that Some reasons the STP isn't getting an Audience of notice could be:
    1. The Pre Stole the Thunder
    2. Many with Sprint may feel the 800 is still good enough for them.
    3. Palm may have lost a lot of Treo enthusiast do to a history of not wooing the public.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/09/2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Just call me Berd.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    With so few posts everyday especially after the low memory discovery, I think the S pro is going to go the way of the 800w.
    I was kinda looking forward to the device as it has a sd and was supposed to do everything well. If they skimped on the hardware......
    Lol. I think you got confused.

    Low posts because isn't out yet plus on treo central on a lot of handset the posts are mostly about problems.

    as far as the mormoy, testing a device and posting "Sprint Treo pro has xxx problem" insted of "pre release Pro before palm update has the following problem" is problematic .

    The Pro is undergoing a software update before release
    Last edited by aero; 02/07/2009 at 09:34 PM.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    You make a good point that these Pro threads aren't screaming with activity, something we should expect if the STP was a highly anticipated device. Something we see with the Pre.

    I would guess that Some reasons the STP isn't getting an Audience of notice could be:
    1. The Pre Stole the Thunder
    2. Many with Sprint may feel the 800 is still good enough for them.
    3. Palm may have lost a lot of Treo enthusiast do to a history of not wooing the public.
    I think you've pretty much hit it on the head, Berd.

    Being sandwiched between two anticipated phones (800w and Pre) makes it really hard to make a big splash, especially since the Pro isn't the same upgrade from the 800w as the 800w was to the 700wx.

    If you compare the coverage of the 800w to the Pro (look at WMExperts, forums, etc) there's almost no comparison. Not a ton of excitement about the Pro, which is a real shame because it could be a big winner for folks who want more of an iPhone style Treo.

    Personally, I think a lot of people are holding out for the Pre, especially with rumors of a 3/15 release date.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Lol. I think you got confused.

    Low posts because isn't out yet plus on treo central on a lot of handset the posts are mostly about problems.
    I don't think the OP is "confused" but merely stating an observation. I have also noticed a trend. As of right now (check the time of my post) there are 34 viewers in the 800w forum, 37 in the 700w/wx, 81 in the Pre (which has not be released yet) and 24 in the Pro (of which some could be looking for info for the GTP). You can take this anyway you want...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I don't think the OP is "confused" but merely stating an observation. I have also noticed a trend. As of right now (check the time of my post) there are 34 viewers in the 800w forum, 37 in the 700w/wx, 81 in the Pre (which has not be released yet) and 24 in the Pro (of which some could be looking for info for the GTP). You can take this anyway you want...
    Yup. The Pro is consistently less than the 800w, Pre, or 700wx. I've noticed it, and I know Mal has commented on it as well.

    The 700wx actually has a lot of visitors for so few messages posted there. Probably because it was so widely available for such a long period of time.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Yup. The Pro is consistently less than the 800w, Pre, or 700wx. I've noticed it, and I know Mal has commented on it as well.
    It's pretty startling how low the interest is for the Treo Pro on Sprint--every forum our there there are tumbleweeds. Last summer, we were averaging over 200 viewers in the 800w forum pre-release. It's called hype--some devices have them, others don't.

    That is not a judgment on the phones themselves: I think the 800w was not as big as Palm wanted it to be and the TP is a really good WM phone. And as far as market share concerned, underrated (TP has failed internationally to catch on).

    But Berd has really laid out the conundrum Palm is facing right now. The upshot? Palm has very low profit margins on the TP (licensed to MS; hardware to HTC) so outside of brand name, it has very little value in comparison to what the Pre represents for them.

    Throw in a really bad economy (even I have friends being laid off left and right) and it's a tough sell.

    Nothing unusual here. Lots of WM devices go underrated (e.g. Dieter and I are both huge fans of the Q9 series, though it is being discontinued)

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8. #8  
    If the Pre wasn't announced, causing such a buzz, more sprint customers might be active in the Pro forums. As was said, some might just move right past the Pro for the Pre.

    aero does make a point that is evident in TC forums; 'a lot of handset posts are mostly about problems.' Remember that long thread that was entitled 'my treo is still fine'
    It was started because someone asked why are there mostly threads with people complaining about their treo? Because people don't stop what they're doing to say; 'my treo is doing fine.'
    So,
    We could also look at the slower activity because their GTP is doing just fine.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    If the Pre wasn't announced, causing such a buzz, more sprint customers might be active in the Pro forums. As was said, some might just move right past the Pro for the Pre.

    aero does make a point that is evident in TC forums; 'a lot of handset posts are mostly about problems.' Remember that long thread that was entitled 'my treo is still fine'
    It was started because someone asked why are there mostly threads with people complaining about their treo? Because people don't stop what they're doing to say; 'my treo is doing fine.'
    So,
    We could also look at the slower activity because their GTP is doing just fine.
    I've thought this also... Slow activity = No problems
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I've thought this also... Slow activity = No problems
    It's an interesting point but goes against the grain of tradition around here and other forums.

    Basically on any device where interest is high, posting in the forum reflects that interest--even if it is just idle banter. Like I said earlier, the 800w pre-release was averaging 200 viewers because people had high interest in that device at the time.

    Even forgetting TreCentral for a second, the dedicated forum at ppcgeeks, the sub-forum at Sprint Users, discussion at HoFo are all extremely low. Those have nothing to do with the GSM version as those are CDMA focused forums/sub-forums. Even the number of comments on stories we, Engadget or BGR post are low.

    Of course it could change after release, but I think most Palm die-hards (myself included) are waiting for the Pre. All my friends are impressed with the Treo Pro but say the Pre is what they want, no matter the cost.

    Lets also not forget: Palm would rather you wait for and buy the Pre than the Treo Pro if you're just a prosumer. For Palm right now, it's almost more important that the Treo Pro is received/reviewed well than actual sales. They have a battle of perception to win.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/08/2009 at 12:11 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  11.    #11  
    Berd and others. Did not mean to be negative, but ideed was an observation.
    Dont know what I will do if faced with S TP was released today. Will I get it or wait for Pre. Really.
  12. #12  
    I started a poll that I think captures Aviators point:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...o-pre-not.html

    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I know only 10 people have voted, but it is starting to reveal what Aviator suggests - The Treo Pro isn't getting much attention.

    Why?
    People are either sticking with their 800, or are going right past the Pro for the Pre.

    But honestly,
    I feel Palm had to do it, they couldn't hold off with the Pre, even if it meant a loss of interest for the Treo Pro.
    Just call me Berd.
  13. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #13  
    You can pick Pre or iphone, but I need my device to be WM. No WM no talk and no buy for me.

    I'll take the Pro cause its half as thick plus I score a 3.5 jack. The shinny thing is something I dont like.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    You can pick Pre or iphone, but I need my device to be WM. No WM no talk and no buy for me.

    I'll take the Pro cause its half as thick plus I score a 3.5 jack. The shinny thing is something I dont like.
    Yea,
    WM is the sole reason for me.
    Maybe WebOS down the road.
    Just call me Berd.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Lets also not forget: Palm would rather you wait for and buy the Pre than the Treo Pro if you're just a prosumer. For Palm right now, it's almost more important that the Treo Pro is received/reviewed well than actual sales. They have a battle of perception to win.
    Actually, I'd bet they rather you buy the Pro today and then buy the Pre right afterwards. I'm sure if they could have thier desires met, both devices would sell well and the Pre would get the prosumers / former Palm heads who would never consider a Windows Mobile device. The Pro would be for enterprise customers, some business users, and Pre-haters.

    Like some others here, I will not buy anything less than a enterprise class device for my primary use. I have an Instinct which is a decent consumer play thing but it just doesn't cut the mustard for serious use. I would love to replace the Instinct with a Pre but it would end up most likely serving the same job the Instinct does...as a slightly more pocketable device to keep handy. It wouldn't travel with me or be used for work.
    Last edited by pgh1969pa; 02/09/2009 at 12:31 PM.
  16. #16  
    I frankly don't care that the pro is being released for a variety of reasons.

    << Edited by Berd - Normally an acceptable Post that wasn't any more than a personal expression, but got the ball rolling for re-inviting Off Topic debates.
    (no fault by wildrage) >>

    2. I think it would be kidn of crazy to buy a Pro if you own an 800w. Spec wise, I just couldn't justify a $300-$400 expense. Sure, the Pro is better in a few ways - looks, headphone jack, battery life, but it really isn't much of an upgrade from the 800w. Had they given it a bigger screen or something more tangable I may have bit. It's like the 800w is the beta version of the Pro.

    3. The Pre is coming out in the next couple of months. I'm not saying that I will definitavely buy a Pre, but at the least, focus will be taken away from accessories and development of the Pro. The Pre also have many tangable new features; bigger screen, slide out keyboard, new OS, etc., etc.

    Above all - I'm not sure how much faith I have in Palm any more.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/09/2009 at 07:48 PM.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I don't think the OP is "confused" but merely stating an observation.
    Please reread it. He wrote: "With so few posts everyday especially after the low memory discovery, I think the S pro is going to go the way of the 800w. "

    There are two conclusions there not supported by the observations or facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I've thought this also... Slow activity = No problems
    Tah tis better, thank you: That was exactly my point.[ B]Pro is Dog bites man. Pre is Man bites Dog. [/B] Much activity at the 800w forum includes problems and attempts to deal with them and fix them --s methign accomplished by palm not with fixes for the 800w, but with the Pro!

    On the Pre, it is strange for people to compare Pro posts on the Pre as has been done. The Pre is a great newsworthy story: Near dead company that once was the Goliath now playing David. It led the industry, inovated, rested on its laurels adn was nearly killed. It is practically a Greek Tragedy of hubris, fall and possible resurrection. It is a story of possible redemption with a new and all or nothing play. People who would never buy the Pre are interested in how it will work out and any news.

    As far as 800w vs Pro and the endless stream we heard about Pro having less posts: it is the refinement, the repair of a bunch of issues that dominated the 800w discussion when it came out.

    The fact is that the very top issues and problems that created numbers of posts here on Treocentral were fixed by Palm on the Pro. Palm saw and knew exactly what we did. Indeed what is remarkable is the consensus among users and the maker as to the shortfalls.

    People here said the 800w battery was undercapacity before we knew of the Pro's capacity. There weer many threads and hundreds of posts very quickly.

    There were threads and threads on 800w about the missing audio port and mods to deal with that. Fixed on Pro

    Muddy audio, discussions about it, people exchanging it to deal with it on 800w, mods involving drilling inside the 800w etc. Fixed on Pro.

    800w no ability to update PRL on 800w. Fixed on Pro. Vocie dialing over bluetooth forgotten on rom of 800w. Fixed on Pro.

    800w physically thick with dated recessed touchscreen. Changed on Pro.

    There are more.

    I don't know what could be more pedestrian in terms of newsworthiness.

    << Edited by Berd - A topic that tends to lead to discussion that lacks courtesy for others opinions >>
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/09/2009 at 08:17 PM.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Yea,
    WM is the sole reason for me.
    Maybe WebOS down the road.
    Same boat. Well put
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I don't know what could be more pedestrian in terms of newsworthiness.
    Well, this part I agree with actually.

    <<Edited by Berd >>

    I just find it very odd that to prove interest in a device, you cite lack of community posting, comments, feedback and excitement.

    And this "delay" is really killing any momentum that the STP might have had...
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/09/2009 at 08:20 PM.

    WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  20. #20  
    Do you guys see where you might be allowing yourselves to go again?
    See if we can keep from turning this into the traditional 'Pro is better than that piece of junk' And there's really no reason to dump on the Pro either as not that good of a device.
    I don't think the discussion has to go sour.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions