1.    #1  
    I just purchased the Samsung Saga as an upgrade to my beloved Treo 700wx, which was an upgrade from my Treo 700w.

I like it this far and was curious if anybody else was considering making that jump. VZW canned (from what i was told) the upgrade path to 800w in favor of Treo Pro, but rumors are VZW won't get a Treo Pro till at least Q4.

Has anybody else considered biting the bullet?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkabrahamson View Post
    I just purchased the Samsung Saga as an upgrade to my beloved Treo 700wx, which was an upgrade from my Treo 700w.

I like it this far and was curious if anybody else was considering making that jump. VZW canned (from what i was told) the upgrade path to 800w in favor of Treo Pro, but rumors are VZW won't get a Treo Pro till at least Q4.

Has anybody else considered biting the bullet?
    I looked at the Saga and decided to keep my Treo. That Saga sure is {{BIG!}}

The Treo 700wx has basically everything I need. And on top of that the unit I have now just happens to have great RF! Better than past 700wx units I've had. I'm up for a NE2 $100 discount with VZW now but I will wait for the next Palm offering - whatever it is.

-Frank
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I switched from my 700wx to the Saga back in November. I went back and forth between the two (the Treo was running Ebag's WIN6.0 hack) for a few weeks. I then decided to stick with the Saga. I just gave (loaned, actually) the Treo to an employee of mine. It was a good device, but I don't miss it. I'd like the 5-way rocker back, but built in WiFi, GSM ability, and EVDO Rev A really make the Saga superior.

(WMwifiRouter on the Saga is AWESOME to feed VZW EVDO Rev A to iPods, laptops, and the such!)

Sorry, Frank, but it's not any bigger with that darn 700wx with antenna. I'm still using the same holster! :-)
    Yes, that is my boat.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I bit it.
    The Saga is everything I was hoping my Treo would have been years ago.

Its not really that big, long & flat yes but light weight and thin.
    On my belt holster I keep checking for it being there cuz Im used to a big bulky Treo sticking out for years and my arm doesnt feel it cuz its tucked in tight against me.
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I bought a Saga in early December to replace my 700WX. The Saga has a lot of nice features (as mentioned above, but disapointed that GPS is locked down, but should be fixed soon I hear) and I hoped I would have liked it, but I really just could not adapt to the optical mouse. I prefer a 5 way d pad, and the option on the Saga was to make it a 4 way pad that really didn't work in most programs. I thought the size is fine although it could be a bit smaller. the battery life is short, but the extended 1800 mah battery available helps that (I wish they had made the OEM battery a little larger so that it fit the phone and made the cover flush the entire length- if you have seen the phone you will understand). I don't like the OEM sync/charge connector (before I bought it I thought it was mini/micro USB). I didn't like how many steps/screens you need to use to make a phone call from contacts or even recent calls. Nice phone in general, but I missed the Treo and now have changed to Sprint to get a Pro whenever it actually is released.
  6.    #6  
    I find myself still doing a lot of Treo habits that I picked up. Example: On the treo I would just start dialing either a number or a name because of the look up field. This was HUGE for me as I RARELY used the contacts button and hate doing 10 steps to get there. The Saga though handles it nicely and automatically opens contacts and starts trying to guess what I'm doing. If I type a number in and it doesn't know what it is, no problem I can just click send.

The one feature I undoubtedly miss that I'm determined to find the hack for is the "messaging" line on the today screen. I HATE the fact I can not make it just launch the messaging app screen with the option to pick which mailbox. Nothing drives me more crazy to switch between mailboxes.
  7.    #7  
    I found it! Use the Windows Messaging line on the today screen rather than the Samsung one with the scrolling options. Once you create the new reg key you can select just "Messaging" under the today items and use that one rather than the multi-option one...

You have to create a new key for the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\ "Messaging"]
    "DLL"="tmailutl.dll"
    "Flags"=dword:00000000
    "Options"=dword:00000000
    "Enabled"=dword:00000000
    "Order"=dword:00000001
    "Type"=dword:00000004
    "Selectability"=dword:00000002