Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I recently started having issues with my 8 GB microsd card and don't knoq if this is a issue specifically with the 800w or my card. For whatever reason the card seems to dismount randomly and I have to manually remove it and then reinsert it for the 800w to mount it properly. It also happens often after the 800w resets which is exceptionally annoying because I have Spb Backup set to backup the device every day after which it automatically resets the device....and consequently dismounts the card! Is there something that will fix this? It totally screws up my alarms (probably b/c I shouldn't have installed ptravel alarm to the card) and I've been late a couple mornings as a result!

Any thoughts?

edit...sorry for the spelling errors...was typing on my treo!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/06/2009 at 06:48 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I recently started having issues with my 8 GB microsd card and don't if this is a issues specifically with the 800w or my card. For whatever reason the card seems to dismount randomly and I have to manually remove it and reinsert it for the 800w to mount it properly. It also happens often after the 800w resets which is excpetionally annoying because I have Spb Backup sest to backup the device every day after which it automatically resets....and consequently dismounts the card! Is there something that will fix this? It totally screws up my alarms (probably b/c I shouldn't have installed ptravel alarm to the card) and I've been late a couple mornings as a result!

Any thoughst?
    I've been having the same type of issues as well. It's so annoying. I have a SanDisk 8GB card. taking out and reinserting the card doen't always work. Sometimes I have to do a reset. It started about 2 months ago and has gotten worse. I've defragged and reformatted my card but still having issues.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    me too. I think it's in the nature of sd cards. we probably should remove and replace the card once a week.
    There have several post on Palm's own forum about this and similar storage card issues, but no responses worth much yet. I've had the same problem happen recently where I have soft reset to be able to see the data on the card.
    Have you guys had errors while trying to access these programs? Do you guys have weather panel or treo alerts installed on your memory card?

I think I might be having the same problem as well.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I don't think it matters what is in the card. I the we're dealing with the portability of the card how that is affected by movement. memory chips in the device are solidly locked down but a portable card can't be reducing it's life span and causing problems.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    I don't think it matters what is in the card. I the we're dealing with the portability of the card how that is affected by movement. memory chips in the device are solidly locked down but a portable card can't be reducing it's life span and causing problems.
    I never had this problem though on my previous 700p or my SD digicam dismounting? I'm not so sure this is purely a issue dealing with the card itself. Seems to me it may be more design flaw of the 800w and where the microSD slot is mounted right in the middle of the device where there is probably more torsion and twisting during usual daily use rather than say on the top of the device.

In any case, this is terribly annoying and makes the device very unreliable as an alarm if you have the application stored on the card!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    There's a reg hack to increase the time that the phone allows before the card times out. (I know it's been posted on the 700wx custom ROM thread.)

It's usually due to a cheap card or a card going bad. SanDisk's are pretty unusual for this to happen to though.

I saw this happen with the 700wx custom ROM's when I moved to newer drivers to support SDHC. People with cheaper cards started to see them go missing. It'd happen to my SanDisk maybe once every few days to a week, but folks with cheap cards saw that happen several times a day.

The reg hack helped with a lot of them.

Anyway, it's a general WM issue. I don't think it has anything to do with the location of the SD card either, having torn apart my 800w the thing is built like a freakin' tank. If it's twisting enough to dislodge the card or cause it to break contact, you're doing something seriously wrong.

I do often dislodge my card, but that's because I play with the door to the SD card slot. So completely my fault, no blame on the 800w.
    Not an issue on either the 800W or the Touch Pro for me. I use SanDisk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    There's a reg hack to increase the time that the phone allows before the card times out. (I know it's been posted on the 700wx custom ROM thread.)

It's usually due to a cheap card or a card going bad. SanDisk's are pretty unusual for this to happen to though.

I saw this happen with the 700wx custom ROM's when I moved to newer drivers to support SDHC. People with cheaper cards started to see them go missing. It'd happen to my SanDisk maybe once every few days to a week, but folks with cheap cards saw that happen several times a day.

The reg hack helped with a lot of them.
    Ebag,
    Are you referring to this information? PPCGeeks - View Single Post - 4 Gig SDHC Card disappears

I did look in the 700wx forum and found the SDHC thread, and was linked to ppcgeeks from there.

As of right now, without doing the regedit, the Treo 800 is listed as 4096 for the PNPUnoladDelay and PNPWaitIODelay

Edit:
    I should mention that I have a Transcend 8gb memory card. I dont know if it is a "cheap" memory card, but it would be interesting to see what others are using that have this problem.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    I do often dislodge my card, but that's because I play with the door to the SD card slot. So completely my fault, no blame on the 800w.
    Hmm, I admit I do this alot as well. LOL. I'll try to stop for a least two weeks and see what happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    Ebag,
    Are you referring to this information? PPCGeeks - View Single Post - 4 Gig SDHC Card disappears

I did look in the 700wx forum and found the SDHC thread, and was linked to ppcgeeks from there.

As of right now, without doing the regedit, the Treo 800 is listed as 4096 for the PNPUnoladDelay and PNPWaitIODelay

Edit:
    I should mention that I have a Transcend 8gb memory card. I dont know if it is a "cheap" memory card, but it would be interesting to see what others are using that have this problem.
    That's the one. I would try doubling it and seeing what happens.

Every other card I've used other than SanDisk I've had problems with. But that's only been 2 or 3. *shrug*

Here's one of the biggest reasons I use SanDisk over anything else.

SUNNYVALE, CA, JULY 7, 2005 – Engineers at SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ: SNDK) have salvaged valuable data from a high-flying atmospheric research balloon that plunged into the Pacific Ocean after it was launched by a team of university students off the central California coast.As a result, astronomical observatories that benefit from the project now have information that will help them focus more clearly on objects in outer space, and the students have been awarded special honors for their effort.

This remarkable chain of events began when the students, all engineering seniors at the University of California-Santa Cruz, released a helium-filled balloon with instruments that included atmosphere probes, a transmitter, a digital camera and a custom-built data recorder.Both the camera and the recorder used SanDisk SD™
    flash memory cards to capture images and continuous telemetry readings.
    Calling themselves Team BAT (for Balloon Atmospheric Telemetry), the students launched their balloon in early March from a softball field in Watsonville, a coastal agricultural community south of Santa Cruz. Their intent was for it to rise 75,000 feet and continually record information on turbulence including wind velocity, temperature, humidity, pressure, altitude, longitude and latitude. These are parameters that help astronomers to measure light distortion in the atmosphere and adjust their telescopes for the clearest image.

With a GPS device giving the balloon’s position, the students were able to track its flight path for about two hours.They were expecting it to reach maximum elevation before deploying a parachute and settling gently back to earth.But things suddenly went haywire.A sudden shift in the wind pushed the balloon and its payload of electronics over the ocean, where it ultimately ruptured and splashed into the waves about two miles offshore from Pajaro Dunes, presumably never to be seen again.Team BAT was ready to scratch the mission as a failure after gleaning only erratic bits of data from the transmitter.

But fortune prevailed.Five days after the balloon disappeared, a beachgoer found the apparatus washed ashore about 20 miles north of where it had dropped into the ocean, and called the university. When the students arrived, they saw that the small padded lunch bag containing the circuit board for the telemetry equipment – and a SanDisk 1-gigabyte (GB) standard SD memory card – were thoroughly soaked by saltwater.Nearby were the shattered remains of the digital camera, which had been separated from the bag. Amazingly, the memory card, a SanDisk 128-megabyte (MB) standard SD card, was among the rubble.

Back at the UC-Santa Cruz lab, the excited students dried out the card from the camera, slipped it into a card reader on a PC, and observed a string of breathtaking, high-elevation photos, the last one shot at 40,000 feet.Not a single image was lost.But the SanDisk SD card from the data recording device was completely unreadable.So Dave Van Unen, engineering lab staff for the university’s Jack Baskin School of Engineering, sent the card to SanDisk as a last resort.

After a week of repeatedly scanning the card with a special reading device and getting intermittent errors, Ysabel Tran, a technician in SanDisk’s engineering lab, was finally able to extract all of the data on the card.She transferred it to another SD card, which was immediately relayed to Team BAT.

UCSC engineering student Roberto Menchaca said that although his group estimated a peak altitude of 60,000 feet for the balloon, in fact the card data recovered by SanDisk showed a maximum of 81,863 feet -- far above the original objective.And while the balloon transmitter radioed just 1,028 samples of data, the card yielded a whopping 53,406 samples.“This gave us more accurate data and, just as important, it was continuous, whereas the data we received by radio was full of gaps,” he said.
    Sandisk rescues valuable data

Two days in salt water, and one of them works perfectly (and the other is recoverable). Now that's some good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Commo View Post
    Hmm, I admit I do this alot as well. LOL. I'll try to stop for a least two weeks and see what happens.
    The tab that holds it in place will tag the card and push down enough that it's in the "release" state. Sometimes it will pop out right away, sometimes it's wedged in there enough that it won't release but contact becomes intermittent.

Like I said, hard to blame that on the phone.
    I recently started having issues with my 8 GB microsd card and don't knoq if this is a issue specifically with the 800w or my card. For whatever reason the card seems to dismount randomly and I have to manually remove it and then reinsert it for the 800w to mount it properly. It also happens often after the 800w resets which is exceptionally annoying because I have Spb Backup set to backup the device every day after which it automatically resets the device....and consequently dismounts the card! Is there something that will fix this? It totally screws up my alarms (probably b/c I shouldn't have installed ptravel alarm to the card) and I've been late a couple mornings as a result!

Any thoughts?

edit...sorry for the spelling errors...was typing on my treo!
    We this happen with both of ours using sandisk 8 gb cards a couple of months ago, more to the point also noticed this much more since we use the same backup method. I tried the timeout tweak and it does nothing for either 800w
    It also happens often after the 800w resets which is exceptionally annoying because I have Spb Backup set to backup the device every day after which it automatically resets the device....and consequently dismounts the card!
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    We this happen with both of ours using sandisk 8 gb cards a couple of months ago, more to the point also noticed this much more since we use the same backup method. I tried the timeout tweak and it does nothing for either 800w
    So maybe it's an issue with the 800w and SPB Backup?

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Not an issue on either the 800W or the Touch Pro for me. I use SanDisk.
    I have to say the same. I had 2 800ws and the SD card always ran fine. (Sandisk 8GB Class 6.) I never had to do any routine removal and reinsertion of the card for the device to continue noticing it. (Although, given the 800w has no means to transfer large amounts of data to the card quickly, I would have to take it out when putting large amounts of data on it and use a card reader, but I know there were times I didn't remove the card for weeks with no problems.) I'm on my 2nd Sprint HTC Touch Pro now and have never had any issues with SD cards in it either. (And with the Touch Pro having a built in Disk Drive mode for fast data transfer to the card I never take the card out.)
    Well I had my alarm set last night, and it didn't go off this morning. I slept in for an extra 1.5 hours.

So this morning I checked to see what the problem was under the alarm clock program, and the program froze on me. My treo Alerts also on my memory card didnt work, since it didnt signal any messages for me. Soft reset and decided to do a sprite backup and apply the Memory card fix cab. I will report back and see what happens.
    I guess the most interesting thing about this, is that many with this issue now were not having memory card issues till recently. So it could be a matter of SD card defects in their devices just now coming to the surface.

I guess only using them with stock configuration for a while would make it clear. We already know for some the card timeout hack is ineffective.
    It's probably also worth going out and buying a small SanDisk, maybe a 2 or 4 gig card. They're silly cheap these days, and that'll tell you right away if the problem lies with your card or the device.
    I have had my 8gb for about 6 months and just started having this problem a few days ago. The card was not readable in a usb holster either but then I hardreset 1x and the card worked in the 800w. Then it happened again. now things are stable for 48 hours.
    So is this what we are looking at now:
    1. Massive memory conspiracy (time to go buy new cards?)
    2. Something we have in common was installed?
    3. The Treo card reader is dying or something similar?

Like others have said, I haven't noticed many problems until a week or 2 at most.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbw163 View Post
    So is this what we are looking at now:
    1. Massive memory conspiracy (time to go buy new cards?)
    2. Something we have in common was installed?
    3. The Treo card reader is dying or something similar?

Like others have said, I haven't noticed many problems until a week or 2 at most.
    • Flash cards have a finite number of writes before they go bad. You have hit that limit.
    • Flash cards are like any other media, they can go bad or develop errors.

Those two are more likely than the other 3.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast