Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Palm website now has the Sprint version of the Treo Pro listed on it. I was checking out the comparison PDF flyer on it, just to see what the memory specs said. GUESS WHAT??? It shows the Sprint version will have 512mb of ram on it, with 300mb available to the user. It still shows the GSM version having 256mb with 100mb available. Guess that may be one reason why they recalled all of the Best Buy units. Kinda cool, huh? I'm definitely getting one now.

Here is a link to the PDF:

http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...ison-Chart.pdf

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I wonder how this matches up to Earlier Reports?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I wonder how this matches up to Earlier Reports?
    I think everyone that got one said that they had around 35-40mb available after a reset.

Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Here's what Jimh2000 reported earlier.

Perhaps when they were all sent back the memory settings were adjusted a little, to take some away from User memory and add it to Program memory.
    So Jim had:
    Program
    Total: 80.54
    In Use: 36.48
    Free: 44.06

Now Palm's saying 100.

That's back up where the Gsm Treo Pro is:
    Program;
    Total-101.*
    In use-32.*
    Free-69.*

Here's mal's:

13+20=33.
    I hope that makes the difference.

Oh Yea,
    Wasn't there 20mb's they couldn't account for?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I wonder how this matches up to Earlier Reports
    We will be certain what was done in about a week or so, but I an not sure the data on the new pdf is new.

For example on "palm_treo_pro_data_sheet.pdf
    which I downloaded on Jan 22, and which is dated Nov 2008 (and for the Sprint CDMA Pro) it says the same thing:
    "512MB storage (300MB user available), 128MB RAM"

(edited by berd)

From the Nov 2008 Sprint Pro data sheet that leaked out in Jan 2009:
    SPECIFICATIONS

Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional Edition
    Qualcomm® Dual-Core MSM7501A at 528MHz
    320x320 transflective color TFT touchscreen
    Dual-band CDMA2000 EvDO Rev A, backward
    compatible with 1XRTT and IS95
    802.11b/g with WPA, WPA2, and 801.1x authentication
    Built-in GPS
    Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate; Infrared (IR)
    512MB storage (300MB user available), 128MB RAM
    2.0 megapixels, up to 8x digital zoom and video capture
    Removable, rechargeable 1500mAh lithium-ion;
    up to 5.0 hours talk time and up to 250 hours standby
    microSDHC cards (up to 32GB* supported)
    MicroUSB 2.0 for synchronization and charging
    3.5mm stereo headset jack
    2.36” (W) x 4.49” (L) x 0.53” (D); weighs 4.69 oz
    Windows® XP, Windows Vista®
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Here's what Jimh2000 reported earlier.

Perhaps when they were all sent back the memory settings were adjusted a little, to take some away from User memory and add it to Program memory.
    They cannot take memory away from user memory and add it to program memory. Those are two separate memory chips. It's physically impossible.

What they can do is take memory away from system/OS reserved memory and add it to program/general memory. This may have a negative impact as it can cause crashes or slowdowns due to not enough system reserved memory. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.
  8.    #8  
    There have been discussions and articles on the site about the available memory and comparing it to the GSM unlocked version. It seems there may be some confusion between program memory and storage memory. How much program memory does the GSM version have, in addition to how much storage? From what I have been reading and came to understand that the GSM had 256mb ram with 100mb available to the user. That may have been an assumption on my part. From what I read in Jennifer's initial report below:

"Although not exactly confirmed, it looks as if the Treo Pro has 96MB RM and 512MB ROM. If true, Palm has doubled the available storage memory for programs, with a total of about 336MB. Malatesta says:

On the other hand, RAM may have taken a hit, meaning you may only have ~42mb of RAM after a soft reset. (See page 363 of the user manual --> .pdf). We're working to confirm this last part, so take with a small grain of salt. And yes, it's okay to pray that it's not true."

I came to understand that there was a problem with the amount of ram on the Sprint Treo, which was causing everyone some concern. Also, the Palm PDF only refers to memory, not distinguishing what type of memory.

So for my own education, I would like to know how much user and program memor are available on the GSM model, and how it compares to the Sprint model. Inquiring minds are always interested.

Storage Memory (total/available)

GSM: 256mb/100mb
    CDMA: 512/330mb

Program Memory aka RAM (total/available/free)

GSM: 128/100mb/69mb
    CDMA: 128/80mb/43mb

I may be off by a few on GSM, but that's roughly the breakdown. Oh and for those interested, the Sprint version does have Voice Command on it, but of course enabling takes I think around 7mb of RAM.

My opinion? I'm cynical as heck and I highly, highly, highly doubt you'll see any major changes to the ROM on final release. Memory will be the same, IE 6 will be there, etc.

They just don't do major changes last minute and throw it out for release nor do they have secret awesome ROM builds as 'plan B' laying around. I'd love to be wrong on this but I'm not holding my breath. Verizon did release the Touch Pro with way too little RAM just like last month; HTC did with the original Touch GSM, Sprint did with the Mogul and Palm did it with the 700w.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:19 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    hopeful, hopeless, optimistic, pessimistic.

But mal is prolly;
    Realistic
    Just call me Berd.
    The Sprint Treo Pro does have a faster processor than the GSM version. So the Sprint Treo Pro may not have as much available program memory, but what it does run it should run well.
    The Sprint Treo Pro does have a faster processor than the GSM version. So the Sprint Treo Pro may not have as much available program memory, but what it does run it should run well.
    Sure. It can run 1 program great!

Some have said it doesn't seem to be that impressive. That may be due to a lack of memory bogging the system down, or even IE6 bogging it down.

I've noticed that when you strip ROM's down (such as what I did for the 700wx with WM5 and WM6.0), the system runs *MUCH* faster. The stripped WM5 ROM on the 700wx blows the doors off just about anything.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:45 PM.
    eh, maybe

on large apps the STP does load faster but for everyday things like email, notes, calendar, etc. you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference.

fact is, it's an equal balance between RAM and CPU that makes a good device, just like a computer. You short yourself on one end you just created a bottleneck. either way, no excuse for it. had they just thrown in a 192mb chip or 256mb it'd been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    either way, no excuse for it. had they just thrown in a 192mb chip or 256mb it'd been fine.
    Absolutely.

My guess is that IE6 was a late addition and they didn't want to retool the production line, and incur the additional expense.

Penny wise, pound foolish, IMHO.
  15.    #15  

Storage Memory aka RAM (total/available/free)

I may be off by a few on GSM, but that's roughly the breakdown. Oh and for those interested, the Sprint version does have Voice Command on it, but of course enabling takes I think around 7mb of RAM.
    Thanks for eliminating the confusion. I guess I just got excited that Palm has finally stepped up and put something on their website. Now if I can just keep my SERO plan........

either way, no excuse for it. had they just thrown in a 192mb chip or 256mb it'd been fine.
    I gotta agree. Its almost like they have to find a way to screw up every new device they release. Pro not enough RAM. Pre no microSD.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:21 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    They just don't do major changes last minute and throw it out for release nor do they have secret awesome ROM builds as 'plan B' laying around.
    On the later comment, it is notable that the Pro improvements over the 800w reflect some shortcomings noted on these forums.

On whatever is being updated: I think we know for a close certainty that something is being done because a) the BB stock was not left in situ but called back; and b) if it was just testing this could have been completed with less than a three week extension.

I do agree that a major change is very unlikely. They will wont be activating my hoped for second cdma chip, wont be physically adding memory.

It will be either something that makes sense to us, like freeing up some cache or something to fix a problem we haven't found yet and may never know.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:46 PM.

Storage Memory aka RAM (total/available/free)

Mal, shouldn't the second set be titled "Program Memory"?

question, it is not possible for them to manage memory like they did with wm 2003? could they take from storage and move to program? i know we cant on the device like we use to but can they? or are these two different pieces of hardware now?

i just hope they fix it?
    My Avatar = This guy walks 12 miles a day just to charge his cell phone. Link Here
    If you want to buy me lunch... click here
    PDA's I've owned/used in order... nextel i930, BB 7100i, PPC-6700 (apache), treo 700p, PPC-6700, treo 700wx, PPC-6800 (mogul), PPC-6900 (touch), treo 755p, PPC-6900 (touch), BB 8130 (Pearl),PPC-6800 (mogul), BB 8330 (Curve) Diamond, treo 800w, Touch Pro, BB 8330 (Curve), Treo 800w, Treo Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    On the later comment, it is notable that the Pro improvements over the 800w reflect some shortcomings noted on these forums.
    There's no denying "old Palm" (pre Rubenstein/Elevation) was on a road to know where, rehashing the same design over and over with moderate tweaks, ala 800w.

Treo Pro (and HTC as the ODM) is the "new Palm" where they're just finally acknowledging what the rest of the market already knew/wanted. HTC knows the market and how to sell a device design. New Palm recognized that.

I still don't think the RAM issue is a deal-killer, it's just this device's Achilles heel. every device has one. difference here is this one is lame. Ordering different memory boards is easy/obvious. Software bugs? Those can be hard (especially if you don't own the OS).

But I think Ebag is right: IE6 was a last minute addon and adding more memory would cost more.

I'm not sure if people know this, but these chipsets are produced en-mass with soldered on memory (you can't actually add RAM to these boards once made). So a 128/512mb board is produced in larger numbers than a 192/512mb, which is rare. that's why we see sudden but near universal shifts in memory on devices and how manufactures keep costs down. The Treo Pro at $249 is already arguably higher than what it should be, so making it even higher would be out.

Having said that, i would have loved to see no IE6, 412mhz processor and maybe a 5.5+ hr battery (from not having a 528mhz processor). Treos are phones first, email, calendar 2nd and MM/Entertainments a distance 3rd or 4th. Make it a long lasting phone/email device for your businesses and beat out RIM.

/rant
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    Mal, shouldn't the second set be titled "Program Memory"?

question, it is not possible for them to manage memory like they did with wm 2003? could they take from storage and move to program? i know we cant on the device like we use to but can they? or are these two different pieces of hardware now?

i just hope they fix it?
    lol, whoops. fixed! ;-P

Nope, no dynamic memory management like WM 2003. This is literally like new SDDs (Solid state drives) and RAM chips.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:47 PM.

But I think Ebag is right: IE6 was a last minute addon
    I honestly thought they should of left all as is - the only dif should have been what was necessary to make it CDMA - Nothing More.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/04/2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast