Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacl View Post
    Also, each company has released a newer version since those reviews.
    I guess it's time for them to review the new version...
    Do you mean Palm or Garmin?
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    With the two specific reviews that Ebag pointed out from WMExperts, they are both before the respective companies (Garmin and TomTom) came out with newer versions of the software.
    With the two specific reviews that Ebag pointed out from WMExperts, they are both before the respective companies (Garmin and TomTom) came out with newer versions of the software.
    Palm specifcally fixed some GPS issues on the newer Treo so I was unsure if you meant that long awaited fix.I thought you might be referring to that. For example the Treo Pro's GPS reception works in places the 800w will not and I found Garmin ran slightly smoother on the Pro than on the 800w. It is a niche difference, unless you are doing what you say you want to do, which is use a dedicated GPS program, in which case the much broader area of use is a compelling difference.

Regardless, on the software you should be advised that most people comparing the full dedicated navigation suites are testing TomTom7 (the newer version) as an academic exercise. It is not sold.

So you are seeing posters who may own tomtomt6 which is no longer sold, and be testing tomtom7 which is not sold, after buying tomtom7 maps to see how it runs relative to Garmin or Navigon. Navigon you can legally purchase from their European site and it works nicely on the 800w, but you need to swap maps, as they stopped giving US maps with ti.

If you want to avoid the business of finding some way to pay them so some of the ethical issues are ameliorated, yet still hacking the software, which like changed roms and other things people do is not strictly legal or even easy, I suppose you can find away to install anything.

- But from your posts I am getting the impression it it is more likely you wish something with an easy install. In that case I would go with Garmin XT. it is current, the maps are current, it is supported by a huge company that uses navteq maps (considered to be the best for North America), has an active user base and it is a fully robust product with excellent routing.

Garmin XT also certifies XT for the 800w .
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Thanks Aero for the complete info.
    One quick question:
    Does Garmin run well on the 800w?
    I remember seeing somewhere that Garmin lagged a lot - maybe on the older version, or on an older device.
    You said it runs smoother on the Pro - does it run well enough on the 800w?
    And if TomTom 7 was really better, it may be worth the work, but it doesn't seem like it is.
    Last thing - I know there are a few smaller companies that make GPS software for WM devices.
    Any idea if any of them are worth considering?
    Thanks a lot!!
    Thanks Aero for the complete info.
    One quick question:
    Does Garmin run well on the 800w?
    I remember seeing somewhere that Garmin lagged a lot - maybe on the older version, or on an older device.
    You said it runs smoother on the Pro - does it run well enough on the 800w?
    And if TomTom 7 was really better, it may be worth the work, but it doesn't seem like it is.
    Last thing - I know there are a few smaller companies that make GPS software for WM devices.
    Any idea if any of them are worth considering?
    Thanks a lot!!
    Isaac,
    I have had some intermittent redraw slowness on Garmin. It is really almost trivial, not enough to bother me but enough to notice because I was trying to critically evaluate many different GPS programs. Probably something to do with scaling on 320x320 that tomtom somehow did ever so slightly better.

But Garmin certainly runs well on the 800w and is all around great piece of software with especially good maps. And as I said using something else like tomtom may well involve $100 of your time in figuring it out anyway!

Also you seem not to be married to an interface the way you might be if you were using a TomTom or garmin dedicated device, so there will be no difference in day to day usage learning curve.

As far as smaller companies, there are lots of GPS applications, from simple things like being able to tag your pictures with coordinates, to geocaching, to simple compass and position finders to use while hiking, to "buddy systems"like google latitude that you can have fun with or even have needed uses for. But in terms of full fledged gps for driving I would go with a major player like Garmin on your 800w.
    Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    OK.
    Thanks Aero!!
    You're the man!!
    Now if I could only get a volunteer to help me with the headphone mod, I'd be all set...
    This is somewhat on-topic: Could someone pass me working settings for the 800w GPS and Garmin Mobile XT? The software is stuck on "Scanning Attached" when I tell it to use attached GPS. Running v4.10

TIA!
    I know with TomTom 7 you need to use GPSGate. I had thought Garmin works natively, but perhaps I'm thinking of something else...
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    How is the car cursor scrolling on the Garmin? Is it smooth or jerky?

On TomTom7 it is smooth.

On iGuidance 4 it is very jerky. It never work on 800w so I never tried.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just try out Garmin XT Mobile today.

Interface for Garmin, it is a little jerky. Not as bad as iGuidance.

I notice a few bugs. The bottom of the screen is too edge down. Speed limit on the left, I cant see 2/3 of the number. Text is too big?

Something about 320x320 screen that developers doesnt like? A few software are like that.

TomTom7 still has the best interface. The cursor is very fluid like. When you are driving in road with lots of turn and side streets, you want your cursor to be in fluid motion.

Garmin has the most customization. Garmin has the most maps.

Question:

Can you have multiple maps?
    It seem like I cant demo a route.
    Last edited by chong67; 02/14/2009 at 03:48 PM.
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12