1.    #1  
    Does the use of a Class 6 micro SDHC on the Treo Pro have an improvement in application speed compared lets say to a Class 4 or Class 2?
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    Does the use of a Class 6 micro SDHC on the Treo Pro have an improvement in application speed compared lets say to a Class 4 or Class 2?
    I have a 16 gig class 6 card in my Pro now. Originally, I had some issues, but I was doing a lot of software tryouts & erasures. I reformatted, backed up at various points & havent had any problems since. Sometimes things seem a little slower than I'd like. I have an 8 gig class 2 card that I'm going to try, just to see if the speed difference effects stability.
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    I have a 16 gig class 6 card in my Pro now.
    Got a link where I can buy one of those from? I've been looking for a 16GB class 6 for some time now.

And no matter what class card someone is using, try this storage card speed up hack. It sped up read access to my 8GB class 6 in my Sprint HTC Touch Pro by over 25%!
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok View Post
    no

it'll only matter if you use an external card reader and your computer--and only then if transferring a large amount of data.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Why do you think that Malatesta?
    Treo Pro on Vodafone UK X 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RichChestmat View Post
    Why do you think that Malatesta?
    Just reading stuff over the years on the designs of these devices.

The biggest bottleneck on our devices for speed is our devices! lol With new chipsets like "Snapdragon" around the corner, you'll see some of these limits lifted, but there are just limits on how much data our devices can transfer and work on.

But, to give a more thourough answer, this was just posted at Sprintusers the other day:

Quote Originally Posted by photog
    There has been a misconception amongst some computer users that faster memory means a faster computer. That isn't so unless the original memory was slower than the device could accommodate and was made compatible by operating the bus at a slower speed. HTC tech support went on to say that all cell phones (not just HTC) are Class 2. That means the bus is only capable of 2MB/sec transfer rate. Most MicroSDHC memory on the market now is Class 2 and some is Class 4 and now Class 6 memory is becoming available (PQI/Transcend). Based on the bus being Class 2 there is no point in spending extra money to buy Class 4 or Class 6 memory.
    That's sounds 100% spot on.

Heck, even on my brand new Nikon D90, they sell Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s cards (up from 20mb/s) which DO work on that camera (first one too!). Sounds like a no brainer, right? But here's the thing, it only matters if you do continuous shooting for more than 8 pics. Usually the buffer fills up quicker and can't transfer to the card, so instead of 4.5fps, you get like 3fps. With the new card, you can go faster.

But unless you do rapid sport shooting often (in which case why have a D90 and not a D300?), there's no point to having the card. More importantly, if you don't even have a D90, you won't get any benefit.

Lots of myths about speed and specs out there. Like the mega pixel myth on cameras (6mp is actually the ideal, not 12 or 25mp). I actually wrote a piece on that awhile ago:

"It's Not the Specs, It's the Experience"
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/04/2009 at 11:17 AM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Malatesta, please post the link when possible for quotations that you provide.

SKTools has a utility to test SD Card speed on a device. Anyone wondering could always get a class 2 card and a class 6 of the same size from the same company and do a little testing, to see if you notice any difference. I do know with my 8GB class 6 card the storage card speed up hack provided a very noticeable benefit. And plenty of others who have tried the hack agree. I prefer class 6, but no matter what class card anyone gets, try the hack and see if it helps you any.
    In respect outboard memory speed there are sometimes big differences in performance and sometimes minimal to negligible.

We all hava had usb pen drives that can read and mcuh faster than others. Mal also points correctly you do not want to waste money going over the host devices inherent limits. But if you run those sktools tests you see that class two though does not fully exploit the device inherent maximums.

So I think you are both right, it is a question of value and limits.
    It also has to do with usage. If you are running a lot demand off your card you could see an impact, but most people won't and are better off, given finite money and diminishing returns, getting a spare card or a larger capacity card vs higher speed.

In terms of megapixel resolution on cameras, which was mentioned as a somewhat analogy, more megapixels is almost always better, with the caveat of all things being equal. It is not a myth. It is that on a camera you need to weigh the optics and other things as a much bigger factor. Being distracted by high megapixils a camera purcase instead of looking at other more important factors is the mistake. There is also a double edged sword with more megapixils if don't bother to use control over resolution, namely, and ironically for this conversation, longer write time delays onto your card!
    The OP seems only concerned about Treo Pro performance. I get class 6 because I intend to use my MicroSD cards for more than my current device (Sprint HTC Touch Pro). I mean, if these things get any smaller, we'll have to use microscopes to install them . So I plan to make use of them in more than my current device.

With smart phones, it is said that most people see no difference, but perhaps some may depending on usage. (I know someone using a class 2 card complained KinomaPlay would not perform well for them, but it always ran great for me on my 8GB class 6 card. Kinoma advises running that application in the main device memory only.) It is said that MicroSD class speed differences are far more noticeable in things such as digital cameras. And my storage cards always start in a smart phone and later end up being used in a camera, which I suspect will be my progression with MicroSD.

Over on XDA, someone tested MicroSD cards with an HTC device and with a card reader: (It is assumed the cards with no class marking are class 2.)
    Test results with an HTC device.
    Test results with a card reader.

My issue with their tests is that they varied the card size instead of remaining consistent. Size could have played a role, but their test show a marked difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Just reading stuff over the years on the designs of these devices.

The biggest bottleneck on our devices for speed is our devices! lol With new chipsets like "Snapdragon" around the corner, you'll see some of these limits lifted, but there are just limits on how much data our devices can transfer and work on.
    Good stuff! Might save me some money not bothering to pay for Class 4 or Class 6 performance when the card is rarely, if ever, going to be taken out of the phone.
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    I just bought a 8GB MicroSD and its Class 4. I didnt get the Class 6.

Does it make any difference?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    I just bought a 8GB MicroSD and its Class 4. I didnt get the Class 6.

Does it make any difference?
    If reading all the opinions already given has not helped you with that, I doubt anything else said would help any .

The bottom line, you be the judge .
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Got a link where I can buy one of those from? I've been looking for a 16GB class 6 for some time now.
    Sorry. I mis-stated. Sandisk's site says they're class 4. But, if you're still interested, I got mine from Digital Media through Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    no
    It's true, a faster SD card will have no effect on application speed.

Where it probably matters is when reading and writing large quantities of media to and from the card. Based on some PC-centric tests I've seen in the past, I believe the faster speed translates to less overall CPU utilization for reading/writing the same amount of data. For apps like Kinoma Play (where customers might be playing music or watching a movie for a few hours), that can matter.

I don't think there's any reason to buy Class 2 cards anymore, and I personally buy Class 6 cards. They're not too expensive these days.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Where it probably matters is when reading and writing large quantities of media to and from the card.
    That is why you see big differences for example on cameras in many circumstances