Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A Tweak to Improve WiFi Speed

I've found it does not improve the already impressive speed of WiFi on the Sprint HTC Touch Pro and others with Touch Pros have reported a similar experience of no improvement.

But see how this works on the 800w, maybe it can be of use to you folks.

Installing the CAB from that site performs the hack, but you should soft reset after installing it. You can remove the hack via the "Remove Programs" option in your device Settings and do another soft reset if you remove it.
    I have not heard anyone complaining about wifi speed. I can't imagine that any such tweak would not affect the battery life negatively. Just turning off Power Save Mode usually kicks my speed up to around 1500 kbps, and that's limited by the phone's processor. I can't think of what I could possibly be doing on my phone that would need more speed that that.
    I joined the cellphone thing late: razr v3m->treo 800w
    Yup. Turn off power save mode and it's about as fast as the phone can handle. Heck, it's faster than a lot of cable/dsl connections can handle.
    Same here, I feel as its fast enough already but if there's ever a hack for EvDO well let's try it
  5.    #5  
    For anyone that does test, it should be done with Power Save mode turned off.

The difference is seen when not very close to a WiFi access point. In areas further away from the access point, where you might get speeds that are less than optimal. Where switching to G if available would be of more benefit for its ability to provide bandwidth over a greater distance.

When retesting at a distance, I've found there is a very noticeable increase in signal strength when using the G mode WiFi hack. There was not a benefit in terms of speed, but signal strength. I'd probably need to go far enough away to where the B signal was more greatly diminished and G could still reach more easily to see any speed benefits on G. But even at the distance I could go I saw the signal strength difference and that was very noticeable.

I'm going to keep using B mode but keep the hack on my MicroSD card. When in places where I'm having trouble getting a good WiFi connection, I may break it out to see if I can get a good G connection.
    I have no problems getting a very good signal outside my house, on the opposite side of where the router is.

My 800w gets a better signal than my laptop.
  7.    #7  
    Here where I'm at I can get a good B signal everywhere too. But I can't say that's true when I'm out in various places. When out in public places I've found things can vary greatly and I've even been at a place where free N WiFi was available, which no hand held yet made can use. (Some laptops and desktops have N compatibility.)

This is why I'm keeping it on my MicroSD card. It's of no benefit where I'm at now, but when out and about looking for a WiFi connection it will have its moments of benefit for me personally.
    Darnell, I tried this hack (and a few variants of the same hack) awhile back on the 800w and didn't observe any increase in speed. Although, I wasn't expecting it to work since it stated that the hack was specific to HTC networking drivers.

I never tested it to see if it improved signal or not.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zbop View Post
    Darnell, I tried this hack (and a few variants of the same hack) awhile back on the 800w and didn't observe any increase in speed. Although, I wasn't expecting it to work since it stated that the hack was specific to HTC networking drivers.

I never tested it to see if it improved signal or not.
    See if it helps your signal strength at a distance if you get a Treo Pro.

It did nothing for me regarding speed, just signal strength when a distance away from the access point.
    If I end up with a T*Pro (either), I'll give it a shot...
    My WiFi speeds with my Touch Pro are off the charts. It is unable to register a number. If you have seen my 800 WiFi posts in the past I averaged 1300kbps. Where can I go to DL a larger file to test?
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    My WiFi speeds with my Touch Pro are off the charts. It is unable to register a number. If you have seen my 800 WiFi posts in the past I averaged 1300kbps. Where can I go to DL a larger file to test?
    Yea, I didn't want to even mention it around these parts, but when I set things for max performance the mobile speed test site can't keep up with my download speed either. It simply says the file downloaded too fast. I've been meaning to ask them (DSLReports.com) if they can setup a 10MB file test for devices like ours (Touch Pro).

I've got to get a good distance away from my router for things to perform at about 1600kbs. If Power Mode is in the middle I get about 2000kbs near my WiFi router.

But I know for sure this hack works in helping to get a G signal and G travels futher than B. So it's good to keep handy, but I only load it up when I need it. Otherwise I use the stock settings (B) for WiFi, because the hack does not offer any speed benefit and close up B can even be better, G is better at a good distance.
    i installed this cab . now where in my phone doi go to use this wifi hack is it undrer programs or what
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmogul25 View Post
    i installed this cab . now where in my phone doi go to use this wifi hack is it undrer programs or what
    It's set within your device already if you've already soft reset. This is not a program you need to start up, your device is not set to use G networks if available. It basically just changes a registry setting. The uninstaller just changes that registry setting back to its original setting.

Hope you saw this other comment that notes the actual benefits I've noticed. Not sure if it will do the same for the 800w, but perhaps it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by VibrantRedGT View Post
    You can use a number of other different bandwidth sites (if it works in your browser), FWIW I don't believe any of these sites can reliably test throughput; simply too many places for artificial bottlenecks to occur.

But you can try these two:

iPhone speedtest
    MSU Speed Test
  16.    #16  
    But you can try these two:

iPhone speedtest
    MSU Speed Test
    For the first link above I got the following message when trying the WiFi test:
    Warning: one of the test downloads was timed at 0ms.
    So it did not give me a reading.

For the 2nd link I got the following results using the "DSL or Cable" test:
    Your test file size: 2MB
    Elapsed time: 11.0 seconds
    Your LAN connection Speed: 1.49Mbps
    Your browser: Microsoft IE Mobile 4.0
    Each was tested more than once with a soft reset after each test. All test attempts yielded about the same results.

At least the MSU test can keep up with the Touch Pro on WiFi and WOW. Finally a test I can use when right next to the WiFi router to get some results.
  17.    #17  
    ...FWIW I don't believe any of these sites can reliably test throughput; simply too many places for artificial bottlenecks to occur.
    I guess that's shown in the MSU test results, because while it does keep up it gives a slower reading than any other I've tried. But still for comparative analysis sake it's something.

They have this on their page:
    Please note: As of January, 2009, we have received a number of reports of slow network performance, as being reported by this speed test site. The best information we have indicates that this may be due to recent updates to Microsoft Internet Explorer. We recommend that you use this tool along with other Internet-accessible speed test sites, and that you try different browsers for comparison, where available.
    So a lot of people must be seeing slow numbers.

But I figure if it's an unexpectedly slow read for me it would be for others as well.
    That explanation doesn't apply to Windows Mobile.

Unless there was a recent PIE update that I'm not aware of.

I agree with Zbop. These sites can be useful, but especially on the mobile side they're often not accurate enough. I once had a report of over 6 megs for the download speed on my 700wx.

The network can vary greatly from day to day as well. Cell speeds are just not stable.
  19.    #19  
    Their explanation does not apply to Firefox either, which I used from my desktop and received a very slow result with it also.

I can't say much for the MSU site, but DSLReports has often been able to give general figures worth considering. Cell speeds do vary a bit more than WiFi, but for testing WiFi I often get generally the same results repeatedly. Although the 800w and Touch Pro are the first 2 hand held WiFi devices I've had, I've found WiFi to usually test consistently with both at DSLReports' Mobile test site.
  20.    #20  
    OK, I've found another mobile speed test site. Take my Touch Pro results with a grain of salt. I think the site gives results that are a little on the high side. But at least this site can keep up with my Touch Pro.

Mobile Speed test (Tests run using WiFi again.)

512 KB test (default test), 5.16 Mbps

1MB result was similar, actually just a little higher

3MB test did not work
    Last edited by darnell; 03/11/2009 at 09:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast