Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So, what do you see as significant changes if any?

Jbed?
  2.    #22  
    Between the Sprint Treo Pro and GSM Treo Pro
    • Some misc OS files have been updated (typical).
    • PIE 6.0
    • Some audio processing/filters added
    • AutoRun is included
    • Contacting editing change? (There's a new EditContractPlugin.dll)
    • FieldTrial (phone testing software)
    • LiveSearch installed
    • Extra power management features (likely needed due to the increase in processor speed without an increase in battery size)
    • Low storage warning
    • Missing clear storage program.
    • Missing JBED
    • Missing QuickGPS
    • Missing HTC's Streaming Player

Between the Sprint Treo Pro and Treo 800w
    Not going to cover the changes, like PIE 6.0, etc
    • Missing *TONS* of Palm's tweaks. (Talking about dozens of files filled with tweaks.)
    • Missing Aces Texas Hold'em Limit
    • Missing Astraware Sudoku
    • Missing Palm's massive audio handling file (audiosettings.pm)
    • Missing bluetooth printing
    • Missing Palm's Custom Dialing Program
    • Missing D3D Demo and Performance programs
    • Missing dmo and dshow audio/video codecs
    • Missing Palm Messaging
    • Missing a lot of extra setting/control panels that Palm adds visibility to
    • Missing Palm's Phone skin/dialer
    • Missing Picsel Viewer
    • Missing Palm's POI application
    • Missing Palm's speed dial plugin
    • Missing Sprite Backup (really?)
    • Appears to be missing the drivers for video acceleration
    • Adobe Reader LE
    • Audio Preprocessing
    • autorun
    • HTC Camera program/tweaks
    • HTC Comm Manager
    • Field Test/Trial
    • HTC's special (extra annoying to Mal) KeyGuard
    • HTC's MMS tweaks
    • HTC's power management/programs (support for power button, etc)
    • "TodayPluginEnabler" (today screen plugin management?)
    • Treo Pro themes

Looks like Palm is packing a lot more into their ROM's than HTC is.
    Well... It appears to me that I won't be missing much.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Ebag, I sent you a PM. Get back to me ASAP, have to discuss something with you. This could get interesting.
  5.    #25  
    And PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    Well... It appears to me that I won't be missing much.
    I agree. I think the new version of PIE is largely to blame. HTC had to strip out some things to make it all fit, so in a sense the Sprint TP is a trimmed down version of the GSM TP.

If they want to run PIE 6 I think that 256 megs of memory is going to be the minimum. I can't see it running well on anything much less than that. 128 certainly isn't cutting it.

I'm actually fairly surprised at the lack of differences between the STP and the 800w. Really software wise they're not that different, one has Palm's tweaks and one has HTC's, that's about it.

Those that claimed the STP was going to be "vastly superior" to the 800w must certainly be disappointed, at least from the software side.
    One advantage of the STP over the 800w is download speed, testing on EVDO and WiFi shows the STP significantly faster.

Although the 800w is plenty fast for my needs, I would still like to understand if it is processor speed that allows faster throughput or does the STP use a different method for connecting or is it simply the way IE6 works.

It doesn't seem to me like processor speed would allow for 2-3 times the download speed of the 800w, but I don't have the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimh2000 View Post
    One advantage of the STP over the 800w is download speed, testing on EVDO and WiFi shows the STP significantly faster.

Although the 800w is plenty fast for my needs, I would still like to understand if it is processor speed that allows faster throughput or does the STP use a different method for connecting or is it simply the way IE6 works.

It doesn't seem to me like processor speed would allow for 2-3 times the download speed of the 800w, but I don't have the answer.
    Not on my tests.

EvDO RevA has limits and no hardware will improve upon those. I get the same speeds (750-1100kbps) as I do on my 800w.

If you're not getting those speeds on the 800w, then you may have Rev A off.

Perhaps you mean the speed of the OS in processing a download? IE6 is more compliant than IE5 and since it renders faster and handles data more efficiently, you may be noticing that...but that's different than raw throughput, which cannot be changed.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
  8.    #28  

Well, the best way to test true download speed is to use your device as a modem. With the 800w you can do that through network sharing natively.

Hook it up, point your computer or laptop to use your phone, then run some speed tests. That will be way more accurate than using any mobile speed tests or seeing how long it takes you to download a file.

When I tested it I had not problem getting up to 800 kb/s download speeds (around half that for upload), but I'm testing from inside a building where I get 1-2 bars of service, not very good at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    Those that claimed the STP was going to be "vastly superior" to the 800w must certainly be disappointed, at least from the software side.
    I don't see why you choose to make such editorializing comments that don't reflect what people were saying.

I didn't see a hue and cry of software changes except the bug and problem fixes that Palm clearly mostly addressed and fixed in the upgrade to the Pro.

We know the Pro is significantly superior on hardware, eg, on Battery on having an audio jack ,on thinness, on flush screen, -- the first two being serious complaints on Treo central.

As far a s software you have a more capable browser out of the box and of course Standalone GPS which has a lot of interest

Anyway the ones who hope it will be "vastly Superior are Palm and Sprint, since Sprint store people say the 800w doesn't sell at all.
    And user Entropism, who works at a sprint store noted: He's had the same six 800w units in his store since September! Do you think it user complaints here that made the 80w0 a sales dud?
    Last edited by aero; 02/02/2009 at 04:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

As far a s software you have a more capable browser out of the box and of course Standalone GPS which has a lot of interest
    While I agree with your overall point of view, the GPS issue in the 800w could be a hardware matter.

Regarding EVDO Rev A, people with Sprint HTC Touch Pros report faster download speeds on Sprint's network than they've been able to get in the same areas when having an 800w. And with WiFi the difference is even more pronounced. There will continue to be disagreement, but I feel the 800w simply can't pull the bandwidth as well as devices with superior hardware. Put a Sprint air card in an old PC and you'll never get the same download rates you'll get sticking it in a new one. The 800w's inferior hardware does play a role. This is why the Sprint Treo Pro will likely get reports of faster EVDO Rev A speeds and faster WiFi speeds for most too. Some may report the same, because EVDO Rev A speeds are more limited in some areas, but the reports of faster on both EVDO Rev A and WiFi will continue and it's not because of the browser. The Sprint HTC Touch Pros have the same IE as the 800w.
  11.    #31  
    I don't see why you choose to make such editorializing comments that don't reflect what people were saying.
    I don't see why you choose to make such editorializing comments on my editorializing comments.

As far a s software you have a more capable browser out of the box
    More capable browser....that won't stay running (either due to crashes or running out of memory).

I don't care if the browser does flash if I come back to it 2 minutes later, and find out that I've lost everything I had up.

Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post
    Regarding EVDO Rev A, people with Sprint HTC Touch Pros report faster download speeds on Sprint's network than they've been able to get in the same areas when having an 800w. And with WiFi the difference is even more pronounced. There will continue to be disagreement, but I feel the 800w simply can't pull the bandwidth as well as devices with superior hardware. Put a Sprint air card in an old PC and you'll never get the same download rates you'll get sticking it in a new one. The 800w's inferior hardware does play a role. This is why the Sprint Treo Pro will likely get reports of faster EVDO Rev A speeds and faster WiFi speeds for most too. Some may report the same, because EVDO Rev A speeds are more limited in some areas, but the reports of faster on both EVDO Rev A and WiFi will continue and it's not because of the browser. The Sprint HTC Touch Pros have the same IE as the 800w.
    The 800w has Rev. A disabled out of the box. (Why? I have no clue. It's easy to enable though.) So a lot of people who are testing it are basically comparing EVDO Rev A to EVDO. That's not exactly a fair or equal comparison.

As for WiFi, you have no proof that WiFi speeds are any faster or slower. I've tested them side by side. Same exact speeds.

Having used both (albeit a short time on the Pro), I've noticed zero difference in actual speeds. Other people (such as Mal) have commented the same.

Now PIE 6 does feel faster than PIE on the 800w. But that's more due to the browser than the the hardware. Just wish the darn thing would stay running.
    I pretty much disagree with everything above.

Rev A is Rev A and no device is getting faster speeds than what the protocol allows. True, with more raw CPU speed, you can potentially process more quickly, but that's different than just raw speed.

This also has nothing to do with "Rev A speeds are more limited in some areas" if you are comparing devices side by side--one should be faster than the other by what you are saying.

Re: Wifi, you have to disable power saving features on Wifi to get the greatest download speeds on both devices.

Having actually used both devices extensively in NYC and Long Island, there is no appreciable difference in speeds between the 800w and STP. You could also argue on reception issues, namely that one device has better reception than the other which would result in different speeds side-by-side, but in that case from my experience the STP has slightly worse (or more unstable) reception than the 800w (meaning I pop in and out of 1x more frequently).

Considering though that the 800w's MSM chipset is the same used in Sprint data cards, I just don't find an ounce of credibility in the claim that it's chipset cannot perform as well as the STP in terms of raw data speeds.
    The 800w has Rev. A disabled out of the box.
    I'm pretty sure this is false and that the consensus was it was just reading "not enabled" out of the box, but there is no difference in speeds "out of the box" vs "enabled".
    Last edited by Malatesta; 02/02/2009 at 05:28 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    The 800w has Rev. A disabled out of the box. (Why? I have no clue. It's easy to enable though.) So a lot of people who are testing it are basically comparing EVDO Rev A to EVDO. That's not exactly a fair or equal comparison.
    People who know the difference have noted what I've already stated about the Touch Pro attaining faster download rates. I think people who know the difference will say the same about the Treo Pro.

As for WiFi, you have no proof that WiFi speeds are any faster or slower. I've tested them side by side. Same exact speeds.
    That's a good bit personal sir. You have no idea of what I've been doing myself. I've found Touch Pro WiFi speeds to be especially faster. And others have as well, even side by side.

We can disagree, that's all well and understandable, but to claim someone else does not have proof because of what you've found in your testing is an effort to assert nobody knows how to but you and anyone that agrees with you.

Having used both (albeit a short time on the Pro), I've noticed zero difference in actual speeds. Other people (such as Mal) have commented the same.
    Fine and not everyone agrees, myself included.

Jimh2000 is seeing the difference on the Treo Pro and I suspect there will be others who will say the same. Even when using the device as a modem.

Rather than continue what is always certain to be circular debate, I'll stop here and await the official release of the Sprint Palm Treo Pro and see what users say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    Not on my tests.

EvDO RevA has limits and no hardware will improve upon those. I get the same speeds (750-1100kbps) as I do on my 800w.

If you're not getting those speeds on the 800w, then you may have Rev A off.

Perhaps you mean the speed of the OS in processing a download? IE6 is more compliant than IE5 and since it renders faster and handles data more efficiently, you may be noticing that...but that's different than raw throughput, which cannot be changed.
    In my side by side testing of the STP and 800w, download speed tests using DSLreports and mobilespeedtest.com and upload speed test using PCpitstop, I get these results:

Download test using EVDO on the phone, I changed the HA addresses on the Pro to be the same as the 800w and then reversed:
    STP - 1100 - 1600 kbps
    800w - 750 - 1100 kpbs

WiFi on phone, using fios line:
    STP - 2800 kbps
    800w - 2000 kbps

Laptop using phone as modem: (picked average)
    STP - 1425 down / 500 up
    800w - 802 down / 355 up

Not exactly scientific, but gives some idea of the differences.
    note: I have run these tests many times and these are the results I am getting. For the record I am not keeping the Sprint Treo Pro, I'm just curious if I can improve the download speeds on the 800w.
    Last edited by jimh2000; 02/02/2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Rather than continue what is always certain to be circular debate, I'll stop here and await the official release of the Sprint Palm Treo Pro and see what users say.

Most likely the best course of action...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    I don't see why you choose to make such editorializing comments on my editorializing comments.
    Because you threw in a false statement about others here (once again.)

To whit:
    Who claimed that? We expected it to be, and it is superior on the main issues and main threads about problems here on this very forum.

You are twisting Sprint's documented problems selling the 800w device (severe), the failure of Standalone and autonomous GPS to work as advertised (severe false advertising by Srpint and Palm), the failure to put in a serious battery, the long delays on the product. Those are not user problems they are device problems.

Those failings which substantially caused the discontinuation of the 800w are not caused by users.

More capable browser....that won't stay running (either due to crashes or running out of memory).
    LOL, WTF! That isn't the issue and you are just making it up. I have more crashes on my 800w then people are prepoirting with the Pro! People are mentioning program closing -- not crashing - settings. They are convenient in preserving memory and a trade off and inconvenient in switching back to IE. I don;t like it but I, and you and almost all here also know how to use task maager to kill programs, something the average user dos not.

You have "no clue", because, as with your GPS "fix" you never actually properly tested whether it matters.

Here is what my tests show: You are WRONG about the check box.

You got schooled claiming this. I never brought it up despite your sending people in circles over it, but if you insist -- it is another one of a couple of your "fixes" that does not do what you claim.
    In my side by side testing of the STP and 800w, download speed tests using DSLreports and mobilespeedtest.com and upload speed test using PCpitstop, I get these results:

Download test using EVDO on the phone, I changed the HA addresses on the Pro to be the same as the 800w and then reversed:
    STP - 1100 - 1600 kbps
    800w - 750 - 1100 kpbs

WiFi on phone, using fios line:
    STP - 2800 kbps
    800w - 2000 kbps

Laptop using phone as modem: (picked average)
    STP - 1425 down / 500 up
    800w - 802 down / 355 up
    Those are substantial differences, on the order of 40% better.

We will see with the final version. I will have time to test both as I have multiline accounts. the difference could drop or stay.

my quick non scientific test observation was that sites like treo central, cnn etc loaded faster on the CDMA pro. I hang for the last bit of a lot of sites on the 800w and the Pro was loading them up much quicker.

Alternatively we also need to consider that the browser or set aside memory for it, or something else, might also throttling other programs' data needs due to memory or other issues. There are controlled "lean" tests and real world use. EG We had one early (non replicated?) google maps choke that might suggest that.

In general a 40% lean test difference (if it holds up in final version) isn't going to make much difference for 3/4 of my data use, but I do tether a few times a month, and stream on occasion and max speed are always better.

Has anyone checked the google maps choke reported by one user?
    Can we please keep this thread from derailing.

Talk about Rom Dump, (files and apps contained)

We can talk about what is/isn't included in other Roms if needed.

But we all know what topics just rouse and where those topics have been exasperated.

Thanks,
    Berd
    Just call me Berd.
    Berdinkerdickle, PM me some names of the usual ROM cooks out there. I need to talk to them a bit.
    Hi,

Is there a way to extract inside Part03.raw (files and Directories)?
    I've read somewhere that it is a FAT32.

I can use:
    "viewimgfs.exe" for Part02.raw
    Dumproom for Part00.raw and Part01.raw
    For Part03.raw ???

Thanks.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast