Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Alright,

I've decided the Sprint Treo Pro does have too little memory (RAM: ~42mb after clean install)

After doing some normal speed tweaks, running some plugins and then running some apps, things start to shut down.

The threshold is around 10mb, after which WM will shut apps to conserve memory. Specifically, PIE6 will shut down first. I noticed it was gone often, having been close down.

I'm running consistently below 20mb. With ActiveSync, Calendar, Live Search, Outlook, Resco Explorer, Vox and WMWifiRouter open, I have 16.5mb left.

Throw Slingplayer on with IE (wmexperts.com, full site) and I get down to 2.5mb and the system crawls. At that point bringing up the task manager is a chore in patience (though you can recover from it without a crash). Basically PIE on a full HTML site drinks up RAM.

I dunno, this is not really stressing the system. This is normal, leave apps open in the background stuff.

I mean, it's not terrible and WM6.1 does a nice job of shutting down "low priority" apps first, but still...this is getting a bit close for 2009. I don't think it's a deal killer, it's just a bit disappointing.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Could this be something they could also be fixing?

I'm concerned if anticipated/hoping praises are going to be dismissed as premature, then it's only fair that things like the cdma pro gets bad reception and the mem is too low might also be premature.

Not trying to stir the pot, but why would we want to post all the faults of an unauthorized release as if this is what people are going to end with?

People might be on the fence, they come here and read the cdma pro gets bad reception and doesn't have enough memory, it's not as good as the 800 because of this...
    On the flip side, should Mal hide it?

Honestly I really hope that this is something that's being fixed in the patch. But I somehow don't think that's going to happen....
    I for one want to hear what Mal or anyone with the CDMA Pro has to say. His impressions are worth their weight and I know these are the pre-patched versions but I don't think what you see now is going to change very much...
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I'm concerned if anticipated/hoping praises are going to be dismissed as premature, then it's only fair that things like the cdma pro gets bad reception and the mem is too low might also be premature.

Not trying to stir the pot, but why would we want to post all the faults of an unauthorized release as if this is what people are going to end with?

People might be on the fence, they come here and read the cdma pro gets bad reception and doesn't have enough memory, it's not as good as the 800 because of this...
    The Pro gets excellent voice reception. I have not read anything to the contrary.

there are some users reporting data problems but we don't have anyone who has tested side by side under, not fully controlled, but, reasonably controlled circumstances.

People already drew what I think are incorrect early conclusions on gps when the poster was referring to downland of google maps.

That in turn may not be the data connection at all! One possible cause could in fact low memory condition affecting constant refreshed Google maps.

Mal are both your 800w and Pro currently activated? You could test the google maps on the fly side by side and see if you can replicate that observation and with an occasional check of memory and maybe get a hint as to whether data radio/connection is hinking up per se or whether the Pro data maybe choking under low memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    But I somehow don't think that's going to happen....
    what would you surmise the patch is for?

Respectfully I haven't seen a single problem that is for certain not related to a low memory conditions.

Perhaps there is an active use of memory or a some memory held even after a program is closed (eg the browser) or memory allocated/reserved no matter what by the system that is inefficient.

That seems to me to be exactly the type of thing that could be fixed.

let's guess hypothetically they were brought back due to low memory crashes and or slowdowns. The gsm did not have this and it is very very unlikely that the cdma is doing this because it is cdma. It is more likely due to the program differences software or firmware differences that were optionally added.

If tha tis the case they could be optimized or removed.
    Last edited by aero; 01/29/2009 at 08:11 AM.
    Memory won't be a problem unless a noob doesn't know how to manage programs. Sounding like the delay might be to enable simulataneous voice and data - something that no US CDMA phone has ever had.

All reports are that the reception is great and the earpiece clarity blows the doors off of Palm's last CMDA offering.

Of course, anyone wanting even more free RAM at boot just needs to load up a custom ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Perhaps there is an active use of memory or a some memory held even after a program is closed (eg the browser) or memory allocated/reserved no matter what by the system that is inefficient.

That seems to me to be exactly the type of thing that could be fixed.

I have to agree with you. (Mark that one done in the record books)

Something is eating 20+ mb of ram before the thing even boots up. I'm sure that is something a new ROM could fix.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I have to agree with you. (Mark that one done in the record books)

Something is eating 20+ mb of ram before the thing even boots up. I'm sure that is something a new ROM could fix.
    I got my fingers crossed that is the cause, and that is the fix. It appears to satisfy occam from the limited testings and rational thinking we have done so far.

Howoever the dark side of me reminds my cheery self that despite some unknowns, we here know more and care more about potential power user problems that the makers and providers do! There is a little devil in my mind saying: maybe they are trying to find a way to disable Standalone GPS or PAM "workarounds" (just kidding!)
    I just tried to open up every program I normally use on my GSM Treo Pro and I'm showing I have 28.43mb of RAM left still - and that's with Kinoma FreePlay running a song and Opera Mobile rendering a restaurant website. There has to be something that is taking up the extra 20mb or so of RAM on the Sprint Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebag333 View Post
    On the flip side, should Mal hide it?
    No, the Flip side would be to qualify our statements.

Funny thing is; I don't even have to rephrase my original reply.

why would we want to post all the faults of an unauthorized release as if this is what people are going to end with?

No where in my post do I say hide it, or don't talk about it.
    (more on this in a moment)
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I for one want to hear what Mal or anyone with the CDMA Pro has to say. His impressions are worth their weight and I know these are the pre-patched versions but I don't think what you see now is going to change very much...
    Yes, 'His impressions are worth their weight'

Mal has a lot of influence and credentials.

Again, I didn't say hide it or don't talk about it.

You, and many here, informed as we are that he's talking about a device that has been called back home, not a delayed release, the device has been called back home, will take that into consideration.
    Just call me Berd.
    So the usual Palm disappointment regarding RAM. What else is new. One would think they could follow HTC here and just put in 128mb of RAM that way even with the usual mysterious disappearance of 20mb or so, there's still a lot to go around. This is reminding me of the Mogul at launch.

Well we shall find out in due time why it was delayed.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  14.    #14  
    Mal are both your 800w and Pro currently activated? You could test the google maps on the fly side by side and see if you can replicate that observation and with an occasional check of memory and maybe get a hint as to whether data radio/connection is hinking up per se or whether the Pro data maybe choking under low memory.
    I have two friend's with activated 800ws, so yeah I'll do a side by side GPS with them.

Last night I did Live Search w/GPS and it seemed to work fine. It took over a minute to grab the sat data, which was odd. I was assuming it would store the sat data for a quick re-connect. But it seems to be a primary standalone GPS mode, meaning everyday little things will take longer (but it'll work off network). I need more testing though with that though.

Re: memory--like I said and let me stress, it's not terrible and I don't think I'd judge or dismiss this device just on this situation.

I can just see moments (like last night) where running IE6 and other intensive apps (Kinoma Play with a2dp?) would really start to zap the memory. But you do have to kinda work to get there. The problem is, this is one of those situation where after a few days, you may notice your RAM is much lower, after you've been running 10-12 apps. I also noticed IE6 was closed out on me a few times yesterday--which explained why when I'd switch to it, it was re-launching (which threw me off, since I thought it was open).

FYI: after a reboot, I have 40mbs left. I'm now at 21.85mb after I soft reset last night. IE6 is currently not running yet.

So it's not a deal killer (yet) for myself, but lets just say I now have a RAM meter on my today screen to monitor things

Will keep people posted.

Bottom line: Palm/HTC should know this stuff now and they should have boosted the RAM; there is actually no excuse here. It's such a simple thing too. Outside of my dislike of some of the design elements (hardware buttons) this is the only issue that really stands out as of today for myself.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 01/29/2009 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    So the usual Palm disappointment regarding RAM. What else is new.
    So we should look for a Sprint Treo Pro wx in about six months?

I can wait on simultaneous voice/data. Fix the memory issue and this dropping data connection problem Malatesta and jimh2000 are reporting first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    And look at all that Storage!

Why would they do that?

Can a Repartition be done?
    If they don't do it, can we?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Fix the memory issue and this dropping data connection problem Malatesta and jimh2000 are reporting first.
    Where do you see multiple reports of "dropping data connection"?

I see a data download problem that could be coming from a memory issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousyellow View Post
    Fix the memory issue and this dropping data connection problem Malatesta and jimh2000 are reporting first.

I see a data download problem that could be coming from a memory issue and reported by one user.
  19.    #19  

I see a data download problem that could be coming from a memory issue and reported by one user.
    It could also be provisioning problems.

The phone comes with the radio off. When you turn it on, it enters a "hands free setup mode" which is when it configures itself for Sprint. If you did not activate the phone though beforehand, it will cause wonkiness later when you do activate it. My data connection was dropping in and out but after a few soft resets/update profiles it seems to be better.

20.    #20  
    And look at all that Storage!

Why would they do that?

Can a Repartition be done?
    If they don't do it, can we?
    I know, like more internal storage is something we've been wanting over RAM

Nah, you can't repartition. Pre-WM5 you could. It was very cool. But these are physical chips, nothing to be done on our end.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast