Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sure sounds like another dud. This is something Palm cannot afford right now. They have a whopping 1 WM based device right now. POS is instinct since they are not supporting nor releasing another device with that OS. The Pre which looks good is a Sprint only device. Without Verizon how can it be a home run? The Treo Pro must do well. I hope whatever they are doing to the TP pays off. Seems its one disaster after another. Cracks, low memory and that's what we know of. Palm, get it together already.
    ATT History- From 1997-2001-> Nokia 6362->Motorola StarTac->Nokia 8260.

Nextel History From 2001-2004-> Motorola i1000-> Motorola i90c-> Motorola i95cl-> Motorola i730->Motorola i850.

Sprint History From 2005 - Currently->Sanyo 5500-> Sanyo 5600-> Sanyo-> 7400->Sanyo 8300->Sanyo->7500-> Sanyo 9000->Sanyo 8400->Sanyo M1->PPC-6700->Treo 700wx->PPC-6800(Mogul)-> Motorola Q9C-> Treo 800w-> Curve->Treo 800w->Touch Pro->Treo Pro> Curve "M"->HTC Hero.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJKRAMER View Post

Do you think they really pay attention to these boards? It would certainly be beneficial to them but I don't know if we can assume that? Then again, I am a noob. It would be cool if we had weight
    It was half in jest, but I know that they do. I have had people at Palm read me back things verbatim! Although I wold guess some of the techs tend to look more at xda and ppc where the bleeding edge .customizing goes on.

I think it would be naive to think that PRPRPR $people$ $don$'$t$ $post$ $here$ $occasional$ $too$, $and$ $attempt$ $to$ $shape$ $opinion$. $Before$ $you$ $write$ $that$ $off$ $to$ $tinfoil$ $hat$ $paranoia$, $be$ $aware$ $that$ $Palm$ $employs$ $for$ $its$ $PR$ $the$ $company$ $famous$ $in$ $the$ $PR$ $world$ $for$ $creating$ $fake$ $personas$ $to$ $influence$ $blogs$ $and$ $forums$.
    Makes sense. Why not employ a person to browse and post at various sites to spin their PRPRPR?? $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $it$ $would$ $take$ $a$ $highly$ $trained$ $individual$ $or$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $money$. $Crap$, $I$'$d$ $do$ $it$ $on$ $my$ $spare$ $time$ $for$ $free$ $phones$ $and$ $accessories$
    did they eliminate the photospeed dial?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm ready to bail out from my Mogul. So reading through what has been posted here, this is my question: I've been eyeing the 800w for a while, and now that the Treo Pro is coming EVENTUALLY, I'm waiting to see what it has to offer. Keeping in mind the few that are in the wild now are "prerelease" as far as Palm and Sprint are concerned and there are bugs to work out.

From what I've read here it almost sounds like the 800w is STILL the wiser choice. From Mal (and the others), having used both devices, for someone making the move back to a Treo, would you recommend the 800w or the Pro? The 3.5mm jack doesn't matter to me, and usability of the device is most important.

Also Mal, can we expect a Smackdown article on the two?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I found the compare/contrast in another thread.

Still, I'd like to see a smackdown article. Looks like I'll get an 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by slabay View Post

Which thread? I'm in the same position. I'm just a little worried about some of the bugs in the 800w....and especially the horrible stories on battery life.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff248 View Post
    Which thread? I'm in the same position. I'm just a little worried about some of the bugs in the 800w....and especially the horrible stories on battery life.

Thanks,

Jeff
    The majority of bugs have fixes and/or workarounds for them now.

As for the battery life, there's not a major difference between the Treo Pro and 800w. In fact, while the talk time is only half an hour difference, according to Mal the much higher clocked processor in the Sprint Treo Pro really takes a toll when using it, so with actual use, the STP's battery life is likely to be about the same.

Maybe Mal can chime in with more detail.
    agree
  10.    #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by slabay View Post

I'll be doing a smackdown article soon. I'm just waiting on the final release of the device as I don't want to be unfair if there some how are major changes to the updated version.

re: battery life, I mentioned this elsewhere but the Treo Pro has really good standby time and email checking battery life, presumably because it using the lesser of 2 processors (274MHz ARM9 I believe). But when using the device on full power e.g. surfing the 'net, running video apps, etc. it uses the 528mhz processor which like anything else eats battery.

So when in your pocket, great battery. When in use, feels like every other WM device out there meaning you'll see those % drop. Wile traveling to D.C. the other day I still had and used my Sprint powerpack to re-charge mid day on the STP.

800w is still a good value and recommending either one would really come down to your need and financial situation. I can't recommend dropping $300+ if you're in contract though to get the STP over an 800w, unless cost is no issue.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff248 View Post
    There is a considerable difference on the battery life. Talk time was important on dumbphones but it is quite an archaic metric nowadays. You are going to get a better indication by looking at battery capacity. After all the screen is the same, the wifi is the same, the bluetooth etc are the same.

Most of the bugs and problems on the list were never fixed on the 800w.

There are a couple of fixes to a minority of the 20 or so main issues, but they involve illegal use of software, violating warranty, oping the case, soldering the headphones etc. These are not really "fixes"
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    You are going to get a better indication by looking at battery capacity. After all the screen is the same, the wifi is the same, the bluetooth etc are the same.
    I have to disagree a bit here, I think going by mah can be misleading.

Going from a single-core 333mhz CPU to a dual-cure 217/528mhz CPU is an important factor to consider when judging battery life.

Throw in the brighter LCD on the STP and you have 2 significant differences that directly impact power consumption.

Like I said, great standby time on the STP and so-so when in full use. It is better than the 800w, but not by a huge margin. In other words, I don't feel it's a game changer in smartphone use, though it is a welcomed decision. I just wish they had added an ambient light sensor and perhaps gone with a 412mhz CPU instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    I have to disagree a bit here, I think going by mah can be misleading.
    Going from a single-core 333mhz CPU to a dual-cure 217/528mhz CPU is an important factor to consider when judging battery life.
    Throw in the brighter LCD on the STP and you have 2 significant differences that directly impact power consumption.
    Like I said, great standby time on the STP and so-so when in full use. It is better than the 800w, but not by a huge margin. In other words, I don't feel it's a game changer in smartphone use, though it is a welcomed decision. I just wish they had added an ambient light sensor and perhaps gone with a 412mhz CPU instead.
    You are making good points. I was making the point on the talk/standby time claims as the empathized metric. Tests show them often not to be comparative accurate , and with so many variables and power hungry features on smartphones, an empathis on that metric was wrong. mAH of course is also wrong as a singular metric but I believe it is more valuable when the devices share so many features.

I see Pro has a brighter LCD than the 800w. That is good news. LCD brightness, especially on default out of box setting (perhaps set low to conserve power with the use of the centro battery ) was one of the first issues noted by users on the 800w forums.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't see that as a 800w "flaw" but note it rather that it harmed first impressions
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-terrible.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...rightness.html
    Just to clarify, there are not fixes for most problems with the 800w. There are warranty busting workarounds for a handful.
    I was in the Sprint store yesterday asking about my 755p's problems with resets (it does it more often than before applying the 1.08 firmware upgrade). They wouldn't do anything even though I have a replacement plan. I asked about the Treo Pro release date, and was told that it was 3/15. The tech had one in the back and let me look at it, but not hold. He also let slip the Pre would release on 4/15. What really makes me doubt some of what he says is that he said the Pro would not be selling at Best Buy because they had violated their agreement by selling new units before the release date. It had always been set for 2/15, and with so many being sold early, apparently they were taking some sort of action against Best Buy. Who knows. He wasn't being evasive, he just kept looking around to see where the store manager was.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    What really makes me doubt some of what he says is that he said the Pro would not be selling at Best Buy because they had violated their agreement by selling new units before the release date. It had always been set for 2/15, and with so many being sold early, apparently they were taking some sort of action against Best Buy. Who knows. He wasn't being evasive, he just kept looking around to see where the store manager was.

Huh, you know I could see them doing that. It puts Sprint in an odd position: they need to be firm with Best Buy on this and just can't let it go, but yet they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot either and not sell the darn things.

Two points:
    1. Maybe this is why we're hearing some Sprint stores and not Best Buy are getting new Pro stock in
    2. If BB is prevented from selling, perhaps it just a temporary block e.g. they don't get it for the first 4-6 weeks--that seems a reasonable action against them

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Mal where did that quote from ivs72 come from?

I see Ivs is relating a conversation, but for the record the claim within isn't really correct, the release date has not "always been set for 2/15". It was obviously and on the record for 1/25. Sprint itself put it up on it sprint site and took orders.

I doubt Sprint is taking any action whatsoever against BestBuy

On your own first point, it depends how Sprint, Palm and Bestbuy have their inventory system. The devices that first went to the Best buy stores could still be owned by bestbuy and inventoried by serial number. they maybe waiting for the same devices. I do not think they are being punished.

I don't want to get into consuerm claims againstbest buy, I think they are ironclad, but I doubt there are many Sprint claims, legal or in any way in Sprints interest against Best buy.

Are items brought into inventory but embargoed until a release date? yes. early release in that case harms other sellers. But the evidence is clearly that the release date was the jan 25, and there was a later reversal that was last minute and unusual. Sprint itself did something highly out of the ordinary and may not even be covered by their contract.

Best buy did not pull a fast one since they are highly exposed on returns. you could probably bring back a Pro brought on Jan 26 and get a full refund in May. that would cost them a near total loss on the sale.

I think you may see some minor differential of days, but that will likely to do with inventory distribution differentials. I doubt best buy is going to get even a smack on the hand.
    My Sprint store has them in stock. But they are very specifically being held back.
    The quote I had was from the service technician at the Sprint store on 82nd Avenue in Portland Or. He has been at that store since it opened several years ago. He was pretty clear that the original date was 2/15. Now whether that was for the Sprint stores to start selling them, I don't know. It may have been that they were going to let BB sell them for a couple of weeks before the stores did. I can't answer that. I just know what he told me, and I have no reason to doubt what he said. He said the new date was 3/15 for the Pro, and 4/15 for the Pre. I asked him twice about that since I thought he had confused the Pre and the Pro, but he was firm on those dates. Of course that can change, and the only solid date is the one when you can walk into a store and walk out with one.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    The quote I had was from the service technician at the Sprint store on 82nd Avenue in Portland Or. He has been at that store since it opened several years ago. He was pretty clear that the original date was 2/15. Now whether that was for the Sprint stores to start selling them, I don't know. It may have been that they were going to let BB sell them for a couple of weeks before the stores did. I can't answer that. I just know what he told me, and I have no reason to doubt what he said. He said the new date was 3/15 for the Pro, and 4/15 for the Pre. I asked him twice about that since I thought he had confused the Pre and the Pro, but he was firm on those dates. Of course that can change, and the only solid date is the one when you can walk into a store and walk out with one.

What do people in Portland know!
    Just call me Berd.
    The quote I had was from the service technician at the Sprint store on 82nd Avenue in Portland Or. He has been at that store since it opened several years ago. He was pretty clear that the original date was 2/15.
    We we know he is confused and not exactly informed, as the original date published on the configure sprint time-line was Jan 21 brightpoint and Jan 25 generally.
    BAM the Pro showed up on the Sprint site on Jan 25.
    Bam Sprint itself began taking orders Jan 25
    Bam Spritn charged people's credit cards on Jan 25.

So we know your source is very very confused.

As far as Best buy selling a few weeks before do you mean the Best buy date was Jan 10??? The date for Sprint stores and online was Jan 25. They changed it a couple of days early.

Hoe can Spritn blame best buy for something it itself did (selling Pro's around Jan 25?) Yes Sprint online ended up canceling orders,b ut the fact that they were charged means sprint did this at the very last second.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast